How To Roll Back Firmware On Iphone
The iOS operating system can be rolled back on all devices from Apple. This list includes Mac, iPad, Apple Watch, iPod Touch, Apple TV and, of course, iPhone. I must say that it makes no sense to return to the modification of iOS 7.8 or 9 on smartphones, since the rollback occurs on those standards that are set by the developers.
Is it possible to return the update on the iPhone
The ability to make a return to work on the previous version of the system is available for a short time, after iOS automatically updated. Then such a service will be blocked and the old firmware can no longer be returned to the iPhone.
Users return to previous versions of the system for various reasons, for example, they do not like the design of the firmware or small freezes appear. Therefore, people want to return to a more stable and beautiful, in their opinion, system that would still fulfill its functions and work efficiently.
Information on which gadget to which modification can be rolled back is recommended to be found on the appstudio.org website. All data is presented in the table, so it is easy to determine the desired device and which version of iOS it will pull.
Before you start the rollback operation, you need to prepare a smartphone. This includes the choice of firmware, backup and other factors, without which it is impossible to correctly return to the desired version of the system.
You also need to purchase a USB adapter. It is necessary to connect the gadget to a personal computer to complete the process.
Select and download firmware
First of all, you need to download the required version of the operating system. You can download it from appstudio.org. Actual firmware modifications for a mobile device can be determined on the ipsw.me portal, the user must click on the required model from the list provided.
After that, you can start downloading the version. It is selected from the proposed list and downloaded to the PC. It is important to remember where it was saved. After that, the telephone is connected to the computer and the process of installing a new operating system begins.
You must understand that when you return to earlier versions, all information, applications, and media files are deleted from the phone. Therefore, it is recommended to take care of their safety. You can secure the necessary data by creating a backup copy. It can be done by following the instructions below:
- connect the gadget to a PC and launch the iTunes application;
- log in to the running program;
- Next, you need to click on the image of the smartphone to open the settings that apply to it;
- a list of functions appears, you need to click on the inscription “Create backup”;
- After that you need to follow the prompts of the system.
When another version of the system is installed on the device, it will be necessary to carry out the initial setup. In one of the items, the “Restore device from iTunes backup” button will be presented. You can click on it, then all the data will be returned to the phone.
You can use the second method. iCloud. To do this, follow these steps:
- go to phone settings, go to profile settings;
- find the item “iCloud” in the list of options;
- go to the “Backup” tab and click on the “Enable” button.
In the event that there is no space left on iCloud, you can use the previous option. iTunes. However, saving to iCloud is optimal, since this program often accesses memory and does not miss system updates.
Disabling the Find iPhone feature
Before changing the firmware, you need to deactivate the Find iPhone feature. Otherwise, the iTunes application will not allow the user to perform some actions. To disable the option, do the following:
- open settings and go to iCloud;
- Scroll through the service settings and go to the “Find iPhone” tab;
- set the slider to inactive mode, the option will be disabled.
The application system will ask the user to enter several codes that confirm his right to apply these actions. You will need to provide a password and username from Apple ID. If this data is forgotten, then you can restore it through technical support.
Sometimes you need to go through two-factor authentication. This only happens when multiple devices are connected to the same account. With these actions, iOS protects your smartphone from unauthorized access.
After the system has been changed to another modification, the first thing you need to do is activate the Find iPhone feature. Without this option, any Apple technology is at risk.
Disabling Touch ID and Password
Another important point, without which it is impossible to return to an earlier version of the system, is to disable the password and Touch ID. This feature is supported on most devices. Its shutdown is carried out as follows:
- Settings open
- Next you need to scroll down and open the section “Touch ID and password”;
- in the paragraph there will be an inscription “Turn off the password”, you need to click on it;
- the system will ask you to confirm the action, after which the password will be deactivated.
Before performing the rollback operation, it is recommended to fully charge the smartphone battery. You also need to make sure that the personal computer will recharge the phone through a USB cable.
How to roll back firmware on iPhone
When all preparations have been completed, you can begin the process of returning to a specific modification of iOS. There are several ways to do this. Since they are all a bit complicated and require computer skills, it is necessary to consider each method in detail.
Recovery Mode is an emergency system recovery mode. With it, you can also return to previous versions of the firmware. You need to do the following:
- turn off the mobile device;
- simultaneously hold down the Power button and connect the phone to the PC via a USB cable;
- run the iTunes application on the computer;
- a window will appear on the screen, in it you need to click on the “Restore iPhone” button and confirm the action by clicking “OK”;
- the program system will open the task manager, in it you need to find the previously downloaded firmware and click on it;
- after this, the actions are confirmed, the installation of the new system on the smartphone begins, you can not press the buttons of the gadget at this time.
After using the emergency mode, you need to exit it competently, to do this, do the following:
- disconnect the phone from the USB cable;
- turn off the gadget, the “Power” button must be clamped for a few seconds;
- release the key and after a while press it again, the iPhone will start in normal mode.
Only when all the actions are completed correctly, it will be possible to use the necessary modification of iOS.
Via DFU Mode
This is also iPhone emergency mode. With it, you can fix system errors, fix problems when updating iOS, or return to earlier versions of the operating system.
The difference between DFU Mode and Recovery Mode is in different approaches. To get into Recovery Mode, you need to use the system itself, while DFU Mode bypasses it. In addition, in this mode, the gadget’s screen is completely black, and it does not respond to button presses.
This option can only be used if Recovery Mode cannot help the user. Then you can use DFU Mode and make more global changes and settings.
To activate this mode, you need to perform a number of actions, they are as follows:
- connect the phone to the computer, start the iTunes program;
- hold the “Home” and “Power” buttons together for 10 seconds;
- Next, you need to release the “Power” button, while the “Home” should be clamped until the iTunes application detects the iPhone in an emergency state.
After that, you need to start replacing the firmware. This is done by analogy with the previous option.
There is another method for setting the phone to DFU Mode. Before using it, you need to connect the gadget to iTunes. The method itself is as follows:
- the device turns off, its screen should go out completely;
- for 3 seconds, the Power button is clamped, then the Home key is clicked;
- after pressing “Home”, it is necessary to count 10 seconds and release the “Power” button, while the “Home” key remains clamped;
- a notification with text appears in iTunes, you need to click “OK”.
I must say that this method is used by professional masters, since it is difficult to count seconds. It is better for a beginner to use the first method.
You can return the device to its normal state by following the instructions:
- the gadget is disconnected from the PC;
- simultaneously pressed keys “Home” and “Power”, they hold for about 10 seconds.
The smartphone will exit the mode, reboot itself and will perform the work in the normal state.
How to roll back firmware on iPhone with saving user data
This method is not considered as reliable as the previous options. This is due to the fact that the necessary modification of the firmware is not loaded from the very beginning. Nevertheless, this option will give the user the opportunity to save music, photos ands, contacts and other important data on the device.
To perform this option, you must perform the algorithm of actions presented below:
- connect iPhone to PC;
- Go to iTunes
- instead of the “Restore iPhone” button, click on the “Update” button.
Next, you need to wait for the operation to complete. The smartphone system will be updated to the desired version in automatic mode.
If the user applies this method, he should understand that elements of the previous version of iOS may remain on the phone. This can harm the gadget, so resetting the system and installing it from scratch is a more reliable option. This can be used when there is no time to back up data.
How to disable iOS auto-update
Apple is constantly changing the system and provides users with new updates. The smartphone puts them automatically, it is not always convenient, so there is an option to disable the installation of updates. You can block the download of iOS updates by doing the following:
- go to the settings of the mobile device and click on the “Basic” section;
- after that, go to the tab “Software Update”;
- in the “Automatic update” field, move the slider to the “Off” mode.
When the actions are completed, the smartphone will cease to download new iOS modifications on its own. The user can return to this item at any time and activate automatic updates.
When returning to earlier versions of iOS, some questions may arise that are difficult for an untrained person to solve. Consider the answers to the most popular questions.