Phone Does Not See Internal Memory
There are two symptoms when the internal memory on the phone is sorely lacking:
- Applications and Android are slow,
- The phone gives a message that you need to take measures and free up the occupied space.
The phone’s internal memory has a fixed amount, and it’s impossible to increase it (it seems). Nevertheless, in the guide we will tell you how to clear the phone’s internal memory from unnecessary files and applications.
By increasing the free space in Android memory, you will save time and stop noticing brakes on your phone and tablet. For the entire “cleaning” will take 20 minutes from the force.
Error: insufficient memory on mobile device
Usually, Android displays such a message if the process or application does not have enough free space in the phone’s internal memory.
Lack of memory can make itself felt by constant freezes. If this is not noticeable when buying a phone, then over time, after installing dozens of mobile applications and fouling with “garbage,” you begin to notice it.
Involuntarily the question arises: are the characteristics of the phone “lying”? If not, then why does the same smartphone / tablet work stably for others?
Checking the amount of free memory on Android
When a notification about insufficient internal memory appears, the question arises: how much memory is available, what part is occupied?
You can check the free space through the settings of your mobile phone. To do this, go to Settings. Options Memory (Settings. Device Maintenance. Storage. Storage settings. Device memory). We carefully study the data, paying attention to the following numbers:
- Total space (Total space). the amount of internal memory Android
- System memory. the minimum amount of space reserved for system operation
- Available space. how much space is left in the internal memory.
Accordingly, if the built-in memory is not enough, you need to increase the memory on the phone to the size of System memory so that the system does not give the corresponding error.
In the following chapters I will tell you how to clean the internal memory on Android.
Clearing the phone’s internal memory
You can remove excess through the built-in tools of the operating system and through third-party applications. They analyze the occupied space, help identify files that can be safely deleted.
Removing applications from Android system memory
Surely, applications that hang dead weight and are not used for their intended purpose are installed on your phone. Their size can reach hundreds of megabytes (including cache).
You can remove useless programs through the standard Application Manager: Options. Settings Application Manager (Settings. Apps).
In Android 8, it’s convenient to use the free FIles Go utility to calculate unnecessary applications. For other versions of the OS, it is available for download via Google Play.
How to remove unnecessary applications in FIles Go:
- Go to the Unused apps section,
- Sort applications by modification date or size,
- To remove, mark unnecessary programs with checkmarks and click Uninstall.
instructions for uninstalling applications:
Transferring files to a memory card
The phone’s internal memory, as already mentioned, has a fixed amount, so you need to constantly check whether there is enough free space for the correct operation of applications and the OS.
In general, Android memory is divided into internal and external. External memory is easy “build up”, since SD cards are inexpensive today (for 25 you can purchase a 256 GB memory card).
We recommend transferring photos ands, documents and other voluminous files to the memory card, which are not required to be stored in the internal memory. over, storing them on a memory card is more reliable.
Actually, you can transfer files through any file manager. via phone or PC.
Moving unnecessary applications from internal to external memory card
You can transfer applications through the Android application manager. The convenience is that you free up internal memory without uninstalling unnecessary applications.
By migrating applications, you save a couple of hundred megabytes of free space. Since the cache is also transferred with the application, the savings are substantial.
In general, starting with the Android Marshmallow version, everything has become easier. It is enough to format the memory card as internal storage through the settings. You do not need to do anything else, the Android OS will independently determine which applications to store on the memory card.
Tip. Install the FolderMount app. “expander” internal phone memory. It also works on Android 4.2.1 and higher, while the analogs do not support multi-user mode. The application requires root.
Delete application cache
In some cases, the application cache takes up an unrealistic amount of space in the phone’s memory.
How to remove cache:
- You can find out exactly how much this or that application consumes through the Settings. Apps section.
- In the list of installed applications, click on the item of interest.
- Check the occupied space in the Storage section.
- To clear the cache, click the Clear Cache button of the same name.
Delete unnecessary files with Piriform CCleaner
CCleaner will help free up memory on Android (on a memory card), also will clear internal memory from temporary files, application cache, find large files; gives tips on optimizing internal memory. The program is free, you can download it here.
As an alternative to CCleaner, it is convenient to use the aforementioned Files Go application.
How to increase memory on Android manually
For manual cleaning of the phone’s memory, any file manager is suitable. We recommend ES Explorer or Total Commander.
Be careful and delete only unnecessary user files in the internal memory of Android that you created / copied yourself.
So, open the file manager, go to the root of the internal memory, begin to search and delete the unnecessary.
Which files should be deleted (transferred to a memory card) first of all:
- Photos,s, records on the recorder and other documents stored not on sd, but in the internal memory;
- Documents received by mail or through social networks (most often they are saved in the Download folder);
- E-books and other files stored by third-party applications in the device’s memory;
- Contents of DCIM, bluetooth, sounds folders.
We use Storage Analyzers (for clarity)
For clarity, we recommend using the Files Go application or any other storage analyzer for Android, which will show which files take up the most disk space and where they are located, in the form of a diagram. Among such applications, we note:
Transferring photos ands to Google Photos
It is photos ands that “eat up” most of the space on the phone, due to which you can quickly free up space on the memory card or in the built-in storage. If your phone does not support a memory card, move the files that you access infrequently to the cloud. Photos, or Google Photos, is the best choice for this. It automatically uploads photos to the service, where they are available in their original quality through a browser or application.
In addition to Google Photos, you can pay attention to alternatives such as Dropbox, Flickr, or Microsoft OneDrive.
Even when the photos will be available only on the server, you can easily access them if you have Internet access. And most importantly, this is a really convenient and fast way to free up a couple of gigabytes of internal memory!
Clearing memory: questions and answers
1. The phone did not have enough internal memory, I sent half of the pictures to the sd card, after that I open it, and they are all kind of muddy. I tried to transfer it back to the internal memory of Android, but the pictures are the same. How can I return the previous pictures, i.e. so that I clean it as before without any distortion.
2. I did not have enough internal memory in the phone, I wanted to clear it. I transferred the data (photos, music) to the memory card. Now the files are not readable, although the phone sees a map. How can I return at least a photo?
3. Phone Samsung A5. I did not know how to increase the internal memory, I moved the folders with music and files from the internal memory to the sd card using a laptop. After that, when opening the folders, they all turned out to be empty. Neither the phone nor the computer sees the files and music. The internal memory of the phone did not seem to decrease after that. How to find these files?
Answer. You probably did not copy the originals, but the thumbnails on the memory card. The original photos could remain in the internal memory of the phone. If this does not happen, DiskDigger will help you.
If there is not enough space in the device’s memory, you should copy the files to the computer (make a backup copy) and only then transfer to the memory card. It will be useful for you to familiarize yourself with the instructions on how to clear the internal memory on Android (see text above).
I have a Sony Xperia phone, when I go to the Play Market, I want to download some program, the system says that there is not enough memory on Android, although the flash drive is 16 GB! What to do?
Answer. Most likely a mistake “not enough memory” on Android due to the fact that there is not enough internal memory. this is where installation files are downloaded from Google Play.
- Transfer the most voluminous files from the internal memory of Android to your sd card.
- Remove unnecessary applications through the file manager or Files Go.
- Use the CCleaner utility to clear unnecessary files in the phone’s memory.
I cleaned the phone’s memory and deleted many folders. And now I can’t watch the gallery through Android, writes: “Storage not available”. How can I get it back?
Answer. Probably, during the cleaning you deleted the folder with photos on the memory card (SDCARD / DCIM / CAMERA). You can recover files from there using CardRecovery or PhotoRec.
The Play Market does not install applications on Android. When I want to install the application, the program says that there is not enough space on the phone, although I have all the applications moved to the sd card and there is enough free space on it (9 GB). What should I do with this?
Answer. You have run out of free space in the phone’s internal memory. Therefore, you need to delete unnecessary files in this area. Use any file manager (say, Total Commander or ES Explorer) for these purposes. We also recommend that you clear the memory of unnecessary applications or, as an option, transfer them to the sd card using the standard Android application manager.