How to Scan From Printer To Computer
How to scan from a printer to a computer: documents, photos, text and more?
Scanning a document or photo onto a computer is a commonly used operation both at home and in the professional activities of any of us. This operation allows us to digitize any document for subsequent processing, sending to the addressee or storage.
The scanning procedure is almost the same for any peripheral devices from manufacturers such as HP, Canon and Epson. The main condition is that a scanner be present in their hardware, without it, nowhere!
Even a novice computer user can scan, there’s nothing complicated about it. You need to perform a few simple steps and your scan is ready!
The process of scanning a document.
Each scanning device is equipped with the necessary software written to disk. Before starting work, you need to download programs from disk to computer. If there is no disk, then all the necessary programs can be found on the Internet, they are free to download.
Consider this process using the HP Photo Smart 210 MFP as an example.
This is a 3 in 1 multifunction device: printer, scanner and copier. The MFP is equipped with a Wi-Fi module, which allows for wireless connection to a computer. We will not focus on this topic, the connection to the computer is established. We will begin preliminary preparation for scanning the document:
Download the MFP software on a computer.
After downloading the programs and activating them, the program shortcuts will appear on the desktop.
To scan a document, open the HP Scan software. In the window that opens, we see all the necessary information for further work. Do not forget to place the document to be processed in the scanner and turn on the MFP, otherwise the program will display a connection error. If all conditions are met, the following window will open.
Select the necessary scan settings and click on the “scan” button. In the window that opens, you can view and edit the scanned document.
To save the scan to the computer, click the “save” button, a window with computer resources will open where you can place and store your scan documents. After selecting the desired folder, click “save”.
All! The process of scanning and saving text or photos is complete! Now you can process your scan in the appropriate document editor, send by mail or send to the cloud storage!
If you have questions, leave them in the comments!
(0 votes, average: 0 out of 5)
How to scan from any printer to a computer
When working with multifunctional devices (MFPs), which are presented on the office equipment market, today it is very simple to scan a document or image laid in the appropriate compartment.
To do this, you can use both standard means of the operating system, and installed software.
Scan and save to computer
Performing an action is not difficult, but to be honest, there is software on the network with a set of functions better than in standard solutions, but more on that later. To make a scan, you must perform the following steps:
- Of course, you should worry about preinstalling drivers so that the device functions normally. On how to perform this action, you can study other reviews on the Internet.
- Next, we place the document or image in the scanning compartment so that the side with the contents (text, picture, etc.) is turned towards the glass. It is worth knowing that basically it is down towards the surface on which the MFP is installed, but in some models of certain manufacturers glass can be located on top.
- The next step is to turn on the MFP, but in fact it can already work and turn it off after each scan.
- Now you can scan. To do this, select one of the possible methods:
- You must enter the “Devices and Printers” section, which is located in the “Control Panel” if the viewing mode is set correctly. Small / large icons. Next, clicking RMB on the printer icon will open a context menu in which you should select the “Start Scan” line. In the window that appears, you should set the scanning parameters and start the process. If you want to preview what the result will be, you can click the “View” button.
- Use the standard paint editor. This utility in Windows also allows you to make a scan. To do this, run Paint. The shortcut is located on the route “Start”. “All Programs”. “Standard”, but in the case of systems versions 7, 8 and 10, you can use the search bar. Next, in the “File” menu, select the line “From scanner or camera”. Next, you can also select the scan options and start the process.
The most important parameter when working with the scanner and the resulting image is DPI. This abbreviation means resolution, which will correspond to the received picture. The larger this value, the better the scan. The most common values are:
- 100-200 dpi. Fast, but the least quality recognition;
- 300-400 dpi. Great for working with text pages;
- 500-600 dpi. Maximum detail and frame transfer.
It is worth saying that, for example, the Paint graphical editor makes it easy to change the parameters that affect the image quality.
Scan on Mac OS
If you are the owner of Mac OS, then the steps are almost the same, but you can enter the printer menu on the “System Settings”. “Printers” route through the Apple main menu. Further, you can act intuitively, since all actions are sequential. Also on the Internet you can easily find an overview of the scanning process in Mac OS.
The most popular users are applications such as VueScan or CuneiForm. They have the simplest functionality, and any fragment can be recognized quite simply. This feature is also included in the ABBYY FineReader, a more comprehensive global software, but working with it is much more difficult and for an ordinary user to figure it out, you will need to read more than one review or training.
From the foregoing, it becomes clear that using the MFP as a scanner or a separate device is not so difficult, and there are many opportunities for this, both in the operating system itself and on the Internet in the form of a variety of software: paid with a large range of functions, more trimmed free etc.
How to scan a document from a printer to a computer
In modern conditions, when there is a tendency to digitize old handwritten, printed and graphic materials, the document scanning function plays a dominant role in this process. Thanks to it, the safety of scanned information in a compact digital format and the ability to edit it are ensured.
What is necessary to start scanning documents to a computer?
Before you scan a document from the printer to the computer, a number of preparatory steps may be required. It is about preparing your scanner or printer with this function for use. To get started, connect the MFP to a computer using a USB cable and apply power. Next, install the drivers from the disk that came with the kit. If for any reason it is not possible to install the software from the disk, then download the drivers from the official website of the manufacturer and install them. How to install downloaded drivers, we described in detail in the article “How to install a printer without an installation disk.”
How to use a scanner
Once the MFP is ready for use, open its cover and place a document that needs to be digitized face down. Next, through the Start menu, open the control panel and select the “Devices and Printers” section.
To start scanning a document to a computer, you must select a scanning device and click “Scan”. If the scanned document data faded, lost clarity, etc., then to obtain the best quality, you will need to make some settings. These settings are to adjust the number of dots per inch. This function has the abbreviation. DPI.
In this case, the rule works. The higher the number of DPI, the higher the quality of digitization, but lower scan speed and larger file size.
After the scan is completed, the file can be saved automatically to a folder specially created by the system, or the path for saving it can be specified manually.
After digitization, the material can be edited. If this is text information that needs to be recognized and saved in Microsoft Word format, ABBYY FineReader is suitable for these purposes, if the graphic information that needs to be adjusted (reduction in size, cropping, lightening, etc.) will help here as a regular Paint program , and many third-party applications.
How to scan documents from a printer to a computer. Detailed instructions
Scanning all kinds of texts, images, graphs and tables is a necessity in the modern office work of any organization. Therefore, the question of how to scan documents from a printer to a computer remains relevant for a number of users of such office equipment. In general, it is very easy to solve such a problem and scan the required number of documents on a printer.
What is needed for scanning?
To solve a problem such as “how to scan a document onto a computer” you will need a personal computer, and its type and performance are not of great importance to the device itself, which is equipped with a scanner. Those. In this case, you need a scanning printer, and not any device of this type.
In addition to the PC and office equipment that has a scanner, you will also need appropriate software. For example, the ABBYY FineReader program is an excellent option. It allows not only scanning documents, but also performing text recognition in more than 150 languages of the world!
VueScan, which is lightweight and user-friendly software that supports most of today’s flatbed scanners, as well as multifunction devices, also enjoys some distribution. Documents scanned using this utility can be saved not only in JPEG or TIFF formats, but also in PDF, which is very convenient when working in the office. Most importantly, this program has an integrated OCR system, which is intended for optical character recognition. Therefore, to recognize the scanned text, you do not need the presence of additional utilities.
The two programs listed are paid, so if you are looking for a completely free option, you can resort to CuneiForm. Despite its “gratuitousness”, this utility has good functionality, for example, with its help you can work with various printed fonts and recognize texts in two dozen languages. It can also recognize tables. To improve the quality of recognized texts, the program has the ability to compare words with a dictionary, which can be constantly expanded.
If you do not want to download and install any of the above programs on your personal computer, then use the usual “Scanner Wizard”.
- Before answering the question of how to make a scan, take and connect the scanner to a PC. On the computer, in turn, drivers must be installed that match the model of your printer. You can install them both from a CD-ROM, which comes in the same set with office equipment, and previously downloading the latest version of this software from the manufacturer’s website.
- After installing the driver and connecting the scanner, carefully open its covers and place a sheet of text. To solve the problem of how to scan a document to a computer successfully, place it face down on the glass and place it as evenly as possible, focusing on special pointers. After that you can close the lid.
- In the next step, select the section called “Devices and Printers” at startup, then right-click on the desired device. In the drop-down list, click on the item that implies starting a scan.
- After the command is launched, a window will appear on the PC monitor where you should set the necessary parameters of the scanning process, taking into account the features of the document: color / black and white, text / photo. Also decide on the file format into which the resulting image will be converted. After that you can safely click on “Scan”.
- Then the lamp on the scanner will light up and it will begin to make a low noise. After this process comes to an end, you will see the result on the screen. To save it, click on “Import” and place the finished image in the desired folder. If necessary, you can rename it in advance.
Thus, the question of how to scan from a printer to a computer is easily solved. Over, today there are a large number of special programs and utilities that allow you to scan a document, edit it and recognize text. In general, the solution to the task “how to scan from a printer” consists of preparation, scanning, recognition, verification and saving.
How to scan documents from printer to computer Link to main publication
How to scan a document to a computer from a printer: step-by-step instructions
The need to get a digital copy of your photos or text can arise at any time, so it will be useful to know how to scan documents from a printer to a computer. It is worthwhile to understand what is meant by the MFP. A multifunctional device that has a built-in scanner.
How to scan texts from a printer to a computer
There are two main options for how to scan a document to a computer. As an image or text. By default, the scanner creates a photo; if you put text in a copier, then you cannot edit it in the future. For such a function to appear, it is necessary to use a recognizer (special software), which will turn the picture into an editable format.
The field of how you connected the universal printer to the computer, installed the drivers, carried out the initial setup for scanning, you can use the built-in Windows functionality. The “Scanner Wizard” is suitable for this, the execution algorithm is as follows:
- Turn on the scanner, lift the cover. Check that the glass is clean; if dust is present, wipe the surface.
- Lay the text or photo with the surface to be scanned down on the glass.
- Close the cover.
- Go to the “Control Panel”, click on “Hardware and Sound”.
- Find the item “Devices and Printers”, go into it.
- Right-click on the icon with your MFP, select “Start Scan”.
- Set the necessary parameters for the scan and click “Preview”.
- A window will appear with a picture of how your scanned text will look if it turned out to be too dull, or vice versa, you can change the settings and click “Preview” again. If everything suits you, click “Scan.”
- Save the result on your computer or send the file to print.
Scanning documents to a computer using special software
Together with any MFP, there should be a disk with drivers and native software for this printer model. As a rule, the use of such programs provides the opportunity to achieve the most effective interaction with the device, to get the best quality. For example, how to scan on a canon printer using such software:
- After installing the device and software, open the list of programs.
- Find the application for your printer model, run it.
- Click Scan.
- The program will prompt you to select the type, format, color or black-and-white scan and resolution. If you set all the parameters correctly, the result will be better.
- Through the explorer, specify the path to save the final file. Name the document immediately so that it can be easier to find later. If desired, the storage location may be removable media.
- Preview the document to correct any deficiencies or immediately click the Scan button. Next, the MFP will recognize the data, after which you need to click “Save.”
Official documents must be of high quality so that all elements are clearly visible, readable. This applies to important information: birth certificates, passports, certificates and similar documentation. Most often they use ABBY FineReader for these purposes, but any other software with similar functionality may be suitable. Instructions on how to scan a document to a computer from a printer using an example passport:
- Be sure to remove the cover, it will interfere during the procedure.
- In the settings, set the following parameters: “shades of gray”, resolution. 300 dpi (or dpi).
- Expand the passport on the first page, put a glass spread to the glass. Better to put closer to the edge, leaving a small gap.
- Close the device cover tightly; for more detailed copying, you can press it slightly with your hand.
- Click “Preview”, make sure that the color, detail of the letters is transmitted correctly.
- At the bottom, click “Scan”, wait for the machine to finish recognizing the file. After that, check the picture and click “Save.”
- Using the frame, select the area with the image (passport itself), the empty fields should be outside its boundaries.
- To store official data, select the tif or bmp format.
How to scan photos on a printer
Now more often people print digital photos from a computer, but sometimes there is a situation when you need to scan them. It is important to set the settings correctly so that the image is of high quality. The procedure for scanning a document to a computer from a printer is as follows:
- Connect the MFP to the computer, turn it on. To digitize photographs, you need to check that there are no spots, fluff or other dirt on them.
- The photo must be placed with the front part on the scanner glass.
- It is better to scan a photo using the program on a computer. This option will provide an opportunity to make adjustments during the preview.
- In the application, specify the type of scan (black and white, color) and set the format to “Photo”.
- Set the maximum resolution. So you can scan the photo in the best quality.
- If you want to scan a file well, then do not make changes to the settings during the process or lift the lid.
- After the procedure, save the file in any place convenient for you on your computer.
- Use the image editor to adjust the image. It will provide more features than a scanner program.
How to save scanned documents
Some “native” applications for MFPs do not save scanned files, but simply open them in the application for viewing images. With this option, you simply press the “CtrlS” key combination and select the folder where the document should be placed. It is better to install software that is verified by other users and can save scans automatically. Among people, Adobe Reader or DjvuReaser are popular. Just set the format for the image and the storage location.
The device can scan your file with black fields, and before saving them to the computer, they must be cut off in the editor. The standard resolution is 150 dpi, for official references. 300. The size of the final file is affected by the format in which you saved the scan, for example, jpg has the smallest value, and tif and bmp are much larger.