Your Iphone Failed To Activate
All possible ways to activate iPhone
Information for beginners and curious.
First of all, the iPhone is a mobile phone with which you can make and receive calls over the cellular network (GSM), as well as send SMS messages and USSD requests. And only then, this is a smartphone with all the functions that follow from its definition.
In order for your iPhone to register with the operator’s cellular network, it must be activated.
Activating iPhone over Wi-Fi
- Insert SIM card into device and turn it on.
- Swipe your finger from left to right anywhere.
Select Language and Country.
Connect iPhone to Wi-Fi with Internet access (required).
Wait for activation to complete.
Follow the further instructions in iPhone Setup Assistant.
It can also happen that the mobile Internet is not connected and there is no wireless Wi-Fi network at hand. In this case, the iPhone can be activated using iTunes (your computer must be connected to the Internet).
How to activate iPhone without SIM card
In the intermediate versions of iOS 7.0-7.0.6, there was a vulnerability that allowed activating an iPhone without a SIM card using an emergency call to 112. In the final iOS 7.1.2 and newer generations of iOS, the hole was closed.
As you can see, to activate an “unlocked” iPhone, you only need to connect it to the Internet, the rest of the device will be done by itself. In most cases, this does not pose a problem, but if you have an exceptional case, write in the comments, we will try to help you.
Activating iPhone over a cellular network
- If your SIM card has 3G or LTE (mobile data) cellular data service enabled, simply insert the card into your iPhone to activate.
The phone will contact Apple’s activation server, which will check the status of your device and allow it to be activated. After that, the logo of your operator will appear in the status bar on the iPhone screen.
If mobile Internet is not connected or unavailable, activate iPhone via Wi-Fi.
What is iPhone Activation
How to activate iPhone
This can be done in 3 ways:
- Use cellular
- Via iTunes
How to Activate iPhone with iTunes
Activation via iTunes, that is, using a computer with this program installed on it, is performed by the user if the device cannot be connected to a Wi-Fi network or use a cellular connection to access the Internet. Below we will take a closer look at the procedure for activating an apple device using the popular iTunes media combine.
How to activate an iPhone through iTunes?
1. Insert the sim card into your smartphone and then turn it on. If you have an iPod or iPad, start the device right away. If you have an iPhone, then you won’t be able to activate the gadget without a SIM card, so be sure to take this into account.
2. Swipe to continue. You will need to set your language and country.
3. You will be prompted to connect to a Wi-Fi network or use a cellular network to activate the device. In this case, neither one nor that suits us, so we immediately launch iTunes on the computer and connect the device to the computer using a USB cable (it is very important that the cable is original).
4. When iTunes detects the device, in the upper left area of the window, click on its miniature icon to go to the control menu.
5. Following on the screen, two scenarios can develop. If the device is linked to its Apple ID account, then to activate it, you will need to enter the email address and password from the identifier linked to the smartphone. If you are setting up a new iPhone, then this message cannot be, which means, immediately proceed to the next step.
6. Itunes will ask what needs to be done with the iPhone: set it up as new or restore from a backup. If you already have a suitable backup on your computer or iCloud, select it and click the “Continue” button to have iTunes proceed to activating the device and restoring information.
7. The iTunes screen will reflect the progress of the activation and restore process. Wait until the end of this procedure and do not in any way disconnect the device from the computer.
8. As soon as the activation and restoration from the backup is completed, the iPhone will reboot, and after the restart, the device will be ready for the final configuration, which includes setting up geolocation, enabling Touch ID, setting a digital password, and so on.
In general, at this stage, the activation of the iPhone via iTunes can be considered complete, which means that you can safely disconnect your device from the computer and start using.
Reasons Why You Can’t Activate Your iPhone
Your carrier may have a problem
In case of iPhone X activation issues, it looks like they were mostly tied to AT T and Verizon US customers.
Wait a bit
It is possible that the servers at Apple are busy (especially if there is a new iPhone or an iOS update). Check the Apple Activation Server status by visiting the Apple System Status page here. LINK https://www.Apple.com/support/systemstatus/
Remove the SIM card and reinsert it
It is possible that the SIM card is not in the SIM card tray correctly, so insert it and check if that has changed. Now let’s move on to other ways to fix the error “Failed to activate iPhone”.
Reset your iPhone
How you reset or restart your iPhone depends on the model. With older iPhones, you can hold the Home and Sleep / Wake buttons together for about 10 seconds. With the iPhone 7 and 8, the process is different from the Home button being a system-dependent sensor and if the software is functioning then the button does its job, so to speak. And with the iPhone X, the process is different than there is no Home button.
The purpose of Activation Lock is to keep your iPhone and data on it safe if your iPhone is stolen.
If the phone you are trying to activate has Activation Lock, it could still be locked by the previous user (it might be a used model). To turn off Activation Lock, you will need to enter the previous user’s Apple ID and password, or ask them to sign in to Find My iPhone and remove that iPhone from their iCloud account. Alternatively, you can call AppleCare or go to the Apple Store and as long as you can provide proof of ownership and Apple can confirm that this is your iPhone, they can remove Activation Lock for you.
Make sure you don’t have a locked iPhone
If your iPhone is locked to a specific mobile network, you won’t be able to use a SIM from another network. The previous network must unlock your iPhone so you can use it with the new carrier’s SIM.
Your SIM may not be supported
SIM card on your device may not work with iPhone.
Make sure your iPhone has a SIM card
You cannot activate iPhone without a SIM card. Find out more about it here: How to set up iPhone without a SIM card.
Tip 3: use a working SIM
If you have a different SIM card and you are sure it works, try using it. When replacing the SIM card, you do not need to turn off the iPhone, just replace it, press the Home button and try activation again.
Another important note: the balance of your SIM card must be positive, and the amount on the account is sufficient for one SMS abroad.
This is not advertised anywhere, but this is how the problem with activating iMessage and Facetime is solved. We found that in order to confirm the activation of these services, the iPhone is apparently trying to send a technical hidden SMS to the Apple servers. A technical SMS is sent from your phone to a special number, so the balance on your SIM card must be positive and sufficient for such an operation.
Confirmed! Activation actually sends SMS, which is charged as “SMS to other countries”.
Tip 1: try a different Wi-Fi network
First of all, make sure that you are connected to a working Wi-Fi, some, very few routers may be the culprit for this problem, as they block iPhone access to Apple servers. Therefore, in some cases, connecting to a normally functioning router solves this problem.
How to fix iPhone activation failed. Tip 2: try again
At first glance, it seems that the activation failed message is completely inactive, you don’t see the control or retry buttons. However, if you press the physical round iPhone button, a menu will appear from which you can: call emergency services, start over, or change the Wi-Fi connection settings. Click “start over” to retry activation, if the second time failed, you should try a few more times. Some users note that activation takes place normally on 5 attempts. Perhaps the reason for this is busy servers or other reasons and a little patience will help solve the problem.
Four Tips on What to Do When You Can’t Activate Your iPhone and See an Activation Error
If you find yourself in a situation where you decided to reset your iPhone to factory settings, tried to set it up as a new device and saw the error “activation failed”, you try again, but it does not help, you again see a tablet with the text below what to do in this situation?
“Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try to connect iPhone to iTunes to activate or try again in a few minutes.
If the problem persists, contact Apple Support at apple.com/support “.
Tip 4: restore iPhone
If none of the above helps, try turning off your iPhone, connect one end of the USB cable to the Mac, and do not insert the other into the iPhone yet, hold down the Home button and at this very moment insert the USB cable into the iPhone. If everything went well, iTunes will show the message “iTunes has found iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore your iPhone before using it with iTunes. ” Then click the Restore iPhone button and follow the instructions.
Failed to activate Touch ID on this iPhone 5s and 6 what to do
After the iOS system update (usually updates of versions 10 / 10.1 / 10.2 / 10.3.2), the user’s iPhone may start displaying the message “Failed to activate Touch ID on this iPhone” upon reboot. Access to the user’s Touch ID is blocked, and various “dances with a tambourine” aimed at correcting the situation are usually ineffective. In this article I will tell you what this error “Failed to activate Touch ID on this iPhone” on 5s and 6 is, and how you can fix it.
Error text “Failed to activate Touch ID on this iPhone”
How to fix “Failed to activate Touch ID on this iPhone” problem
To get rid of the unsuccessful activation of Touch ID, I recommend doing the following:
- Install update 10.3.3 for your iOS. For some users, the problem was solved in a similar way;
Install update 10.3.3 for your iOS
Go to “Touch ID Passcode” to test the iTunes App Store
Reconnect the Touch ID ribbon
Causes of Touch ID Error on iPhone
This problem is international in nature and is faced by many users around the world. Apple forums are full of complaints from Apple owners about a problem with activating Touch ID, which usually appears after installing system updates 10 / 10.1 / 10.2 / 10.3.2 on the iPhone.
We are considering how you can solve the problem with activating Touch ID
Use a different Wi-Fi connection
A Wi-Fi connection blocking the smartphone’s connection to Apple’s servers may be one of the reasons why you can’t activate your iPhone. Please try another wireless connection and try again.
New iPhone owners are often in such a hurry to get to know their device that they completely forget about the need to install a SIM card. In this case, it is not necessary to reboot the smartphone. The activation process will continue immediately after installing the SIM card.
If the SIM-card is inserted, then you need to make sure that it works. Try using a different SIM card and retry activation.
When trying to activate, it fails: “Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable”
Activating iPhone is a simple process and is made by the developers from Apple intuitive, however, problems can arise here too. One of the most common errors is associated with the message “Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable”. We will tell you how to get rid of it in this manual.
During iPhone activation, you may encounter various errors, the list of which is listed below:
- “Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable”
- “IPhone is not recognized and cannot be activated for service”
- “SIM card is not supported in this iPhone”
- “ITunes cannot check the device”
If one of these messages is displayed on the screen of your iPhone, try our advice. One of them will definitely help you cope with the problem situation.
Problems with iPhone activation can be solved after a banal smartphone reboot. Restart your device and try activating it again.
Try activating iPhone through iTunes
Connect your iPhone to your computer, open the latest iTunes and try activating your smartphone. This method is best used if you do not have the opportunity to connect to another Wi-Fi network.
Restore iPhone via iTunes
In most cases, the first four tips will solve the problem with activating the iPhone, however, if all else fails, it’s time to connect the “heavy artillery”. Restoring the iPhone is done as follows: while holding and holding the Home button, connect the smartphone to the computer. The device will be recognized by iTunes in recovery mode, after which you will need to click the “Restore” button.
Good to know:
Rate 5 stars at the bottom of the article if you like this topic. Subscribe to us Telegram, VKontakte, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Viber, Zen, YouTube.
Iphone on iOS 11 and iOS 12 won’t activate after factory reset
This text is an update to the article after the release of iOS 11.
We have already discussed this situation in the comments, but for those who are too lazy to read, here is a short excerpt from all this.
The essence of the problem:
Who is at risk? Devices (running iOS 11 and iOS 12) that:
- Have ever been repaired (with replacement parts. Nand memory, modem, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth module) in unauthorized service centers.
- They are so-called “handicraft restored” iPhones (smartphones assembled by someone who and where). Unscrupulous sellers often sell them under the guise of new.
So, what exactly to do with this now?
- If there is a guarantee. Use it.
- Some unofficial service centers may try to solve this problem with special equipment. But, as a rule, no one gives any guarantees. Even if the activation failure can be “bypassed” now, then in the future everything can happen again.
Here is such a sad story. However, it is not at all necessary that the error occurs precisely because of this.
Iphone Activation Failed. Everything Is Very Bad
Why does the title say that everything is very bad? Because, it is quite possible that the modem in the device “died”. Indirectly, this can be confirmed by the fact that by connecting the gadget to a computer and iTunes, absolutely nothing happens. No activation or something even remotely similar to it.
There is another way to check this terrible guess, on the welcome screen, click on the “letter i in a circle” icon.
After clicking, on a normal and working iPhone, the serial number of the device should appear. If IMEI does not appear, but only standards are written, etc. Then I have bad news, the modem in your iPhone or iPad ordered to live long. Naturally, with such a malfunction, the device cannot be activated. What to do?
- Contact the service, the repair price is not very high (relative to the cost of the device), but they undertake such a repair of the unit and no one gives guarantees.
- You can try to put it in the freezer (at your own peril and risk!), There is a possibility that the contacts will stand “as it should” at least for a while, and it will turn out to activate it.
- Warm up with a hairdryer (also at your own peril and risk!). The effect is similar to freezing (may or may not appear).
It must be understood that the last two points are, of course, a fierce “collective farm” and they should be carried out very carefully. But it helps some. By the way, updating the firmware on such gadgets is useless, during this operation you will get an error.
All that is described above is not your case? IMEI is displayed and is the modem normal? Moving on to the next item!
Iphone Activation Failed. Server Unavailable or Worse?
Hello! It doesn‘t matter what you did to get the activation failed error. We reset the content and settings, flashed it, performed an update, recovered. Any of these actions leads to the fact that the device must be reactivated. Yes, yes, yes, you will have to go through exactly the same procedure again as when you first turned on the gadget. And here one very large and large ambush can await us.
An iPhone or iPad is easily able to warn that activation is impossible, because: “Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate, or try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, contact Apple Support at apple.com/support “.
It would seem that everything is very logical. The server is unavailable, Apple has problems, we wait until the failure passes and we swear at the company. However, not everything is so simple.
And in general, if you are faced with such a message, then I will have two news for you, good and bad. And we’ll probably start with a bad one.
Iphone failed to activate. The server is to blame or.
In fact, failure can occur for a variety of reasons. And the right decision is to check everything in order, let’s go!
- Check if the SIM card is inserted and is it working? The advice is of course very obvious, but everything happens.
- Make sure you have internet access again.
- Apple servers are unavailable. How to check their status at the moment? This often happens on the days when new versions of iOS are released. A lot of people around the world are trying to get a new firmware as quickly as possible and the servers simply cannot withstand such an influx of people. In that case, you just need to wait.
- Use a different internet connection. Some Wi-Fi networks can be configured to block access to Apple servers.
- Use iTunes to activate (be sure to update it to the latest version!)
- Hard reset your iPhone or iPad. Hold down the Home and Power buttons. Do not release them until the iPhone turns off.
By the way, the reason for Activation Error may be the fact that a beta version of the firmware was installed on the iPhone, and the device was not registered in the developer program. In this case, the error text will be like this:
In this case, you need to go to the Apple developer portal (developer.Apple.com) and register the gadget.
As you can see, the reason that the iPhone fails when activated can be a variety of situations.
From banal. Lack of Internet, to very complex. Breakdown of the modem and the new “iOS 11 syndrome”. And if the first ones are solved quite simply (wait, change the SIM card, etc.), then the second (“iron” problems) are corrected only with the participation of a competent service center specialist. But I sincerely hope this is not your case.