How to take apart an iPhone five without a suction cup
How to disassemble iPhone 5S
If modern schools were so modernized and trendy that arithmetic would be taught not from standard textbooks, but from Apple inventions, such as the iPhone, students would know for sure that after the one comes the three, then the letter G, then the three and G again, then again the letter designation, but already S. Next would line up a four, another four, then a four S, a five, a five with an S suffix, and a five with an S afterword Whew. It’s a complicated system, yes? It is good that the Cupertino corporation does not pretend to be in the field of education yet and is content with its achievements in the IT sphere.
Why do we tell you about this in an article on “how to disassemble the iPhone 5S”?? So that you understand that there are much more complicated things than dismantling the iPhone by yourself according to our instructions. With this guide, you’ll easily and quickly disassemble your iPhone 5S into screws and stubs.
First of all our for iPhone 5S service
The following tools will be needed for the job:
- Screwdriver set for repairing mobile devices. Make sure that the diameter of the tools in the kit fits the screws screwed into the smartphone;
- Small suction cup;
- A small plastic mounting spatula;
- iOpener. For those who are not yet aware, let us explain: this is a truly masculine accessory from Apple, originally intended for safe opening of beer. Your eyebrows went up in surprise? We understand, but we urge you to wait a little longer. You’ll soon see why we need this signature can opener.
Here’s another run down of the smartphone’s specs. What we have here? Apple’s 64-bit A7 processor, the innovative M7 motion coprocessor, 16, 32 or 64GB of storage depending on configuration, a 4-inch retina display with 326 pixels per inch, an 8 megapixel main camera and 1.2 megapixel front-facing FaceTime camera, fingerprint scanner in the Nome key. And all that power and performance, clad in dark gray, silver and gold, you want to take apart? Start! But we’re not responsible for your actions.
Apple is still committed to preventing possible iPhone 5S disassembly in any way possible. We must say that if you came unprepared without a set of screwdrivers that we talked about at the beginning you would face an insurmountable obstacle in the form of firmly screwed screws. But thanks to us you know how to overcome them. Feel free to remove all the screws that hold the panel in place.
You have removed all the screws that secure the panel? So let’s get to the fun part! If you’ve taken an iPhone apart before, then you’re familiar with the mechanism of how to remove the display with a suction cup. However, in the case of the 5S, we’d suggest giving yourself a little help with a plastic spatula to avoid dropping and breaking the screen.
If you are careful and patient enough, your efforts will more than pay off: the iPhone 5S display will start to separate like clockwork. However, after you slightly lift the retina-component you will see that the cable connecting the fingerprint scanner and the Lightining port comes out of its lower part. This peculiarity of the assembly complicates our task, because pulling the suction cup too hard we risk to damage the cable. Obviously you can not do this, otherwise the wire will need to be replaced.
But we are not dummies, so we do everything carefully and gently, avoiding the dangers and pitfalls of disassembling the iPhone 5S by ourselves. We use the same plastic spatula to separate the cable from the touch-sensitive scanner.
Finally we can have a full look inside the iPhone 5S. Already at a glance it is clear that compared to the iPhone 5 there are no dramatic changes. The most striking difference between iPhone 5S and its predecessor is the disappearance of the battery removal label.
With our favorite plastic spatula we open the metal latches and begin to fight with the battery. Why fight? Because of the abundant adhesive layer and the lack of a battery removal label, it seems that the manufacturer wanted to definitely stop the disassembly of the iPhone 5S at this stage. Surely the tricky plan was that even if we did get to the battery, we’d be forever bogged down in the glue it’s planted on, and give up without even the fussiest Munchausen’s hair (read: the extraction label) to pull it out.
But we’ve got the wrong people! We found a way out and pulled the battery out with the very same iOpener, like real men.
If you do happen to have excess glue, however, you can simply remove the adhesive grooves during the initial disassembly, creating new ones when reassembling.
Once you’ve removed the battery, you can proceed to remove the iPhone 5S screen. It is only necessary to disconnect the cables of the front camera, image processor and LCD panel with the spatula and voila. retina display is easily removed! Note that there has been no progress, no regression, and not even any significant changes in the 5S display compared to the five. The screen hasn’t gotten bigger, it hasn’t gotten smaller, it still has the same quality features. No surprises.
Now we’re quickly extracting the fingerprint scanner from the Nome key. What a thrill. On the outside, the touch user fingerprint recognizer is nothing special. But the technology behind it is astonishing. Let us bring you up to speed: about a year ago, the Cupertino-based company purchased a patented technology from Authen Tec, according to which the scanner “photographs” your finger, but does not send its image to Apple. In addition, thanks to the sapphire crystal shell, it lasts for a long time and is virtually indestructible to researchers such as you and me.
This article is not a guide! All responsibility for picking up and disassembling your device lies with you. Many manufacturers have no warranty if the device was disassembled by the user. If you do not want to void the warranty of your device, check the warranty terms in the documentation or with the manufacturer of the device.
|TS1 pentalobe screwdriver|
|PH000 Phillips screwdriver|
|The plastic “paddle” case disassembly tool|
The release of the new iPhone is a journey into the future. the iFixit disassembly team moved 17 hours ahead in time to get their hands on the iPhone 5S early.
We want to say a big thank you to our good friends at MacFixit Australia for letting us use their Melbourne office for this disassembly. They sell Mac iPhone accessories and iFixit tools.
To cover all of our rear ends, we learned from our top linguists that the 5S upside down is still the 5S.
Speaking of tools. For this breakdown, we will be using our new Pro Tech Screwdriver Set.
While we prepare ourselves to dive into the wonderful innards of the iPhone 5S, let’s go over the specs:
- Apple A7 processor with 64-bit architecture;
- M7 motion analysis co-processor;
- 16GB, 32GB or 64GB of Flash memory;
- 4-inch retina display with a density of 326 dots per inch;
- 8MP iSight camera and 1.2 MP FaceTime camera;
- Fingerprint scanner built into the home button.
Apple follows its tradition of shielding the user from the insides of the device with pentalobe screws. Fortunately we were prepared for this. We’ve released our trusty iPhone 5 release kit, and to our surprise, it works!
Unfortunately, we didn’t procure the right paint, so the kit contains only silver and black Philips Phillips screwdriver screws.
Now we are pressing our designers to design cross-head screwdrivers in 585 gold. They will cost 50 each, and will twist the first time you try to unscrew them, so they will be perfect for the iPhone. We’ll keep you posted.
Our freed iPhone 5S reminded us of another polka dot iPhone, a disassembly of which will be published in the near future.
Finishing twisting in place. It’s time to open the baby! Just like last year we called for a suction cup to help separate the display module assembly from the case.
Unlike last year, we gently run a spatula around the perimeter, just in case.
The spatula helped. At the bottom of the phone, we found the loop that connects the Touch ID sensor, which is in the home button, and the Lightening connector.
This adds a small element of danger to the disassembly process. If you lift the screen by the suction cup too high, there’s a chance of damaging the loop.
We survived the first trap and carefully disconnected the Touch ID loop connector with a spatula.
Alas, at first glance the inside of the iPhone 5S is not much different from the inside of the iPhone 5. The main difference is the lack of a tab on the battery, by which it can be removed from the case.
Using our favorite screwdriver set, we removed some of the metal shields that protect the connectors, and proceeded to an epic battle with the battery.
The seemingly insignificant absence of a tab on the battery exposed a much bigger problem. the glue.
Perhaps the “s” in the name means “sticky” or “get over it” like, “this battery is stuck to the case for good” or “I hope you don’t want to replace the battery and get over the fact that you have the old one”.
While we were dreaming of an iPhone battery that could be replaced without tools, we heated up the existing battery and padded it with a spatula.
Holy scotch! It seems that Apple in the previous “five”, compared to the iPhone 5S, did not use double-sided tape at all! There are two big white “runways” holding the battery almost all over it.
Addendum: some guys report that this scotch tape has good tearability. As soon as we get more iPhones in repair we will test this theory and let you know!
The iPhone 5S is claimed to have up to 10 hours of 3G talk time, but rumor has it that iOS 7 won’t leave a chance.
Gold battery by Desay Battery Co., Ltd, made in China in Huizhou, gives 3.8В, 5.92Wh, 1560 mAh. For comparison:
Disassemble the iPhone 6
Stack all the tools next to each other. If you have an office lamp at home, turn it on. The more light, the fewer fatal mistakes. Inhale and proceed.
Turn off the smartphone, wait 10 seconds. Unscrew the bottom two screws. The bottom of the display should lift up a bit.
Take a pick or a spatula, gently pry the bottom of the display. Pulling up. the display pops out of its groove at the edges. If this does not happen, you need to pry the frame with a thin part of the pick and lift it away from the case. Take your time. Be sure to start at the bottom, but don’t pull the top part.
After releasing all the slots in the display, open the iPhone like a book. Gently.
Hold the display and remove the screws from the top cover. Only five bolts. Be very careful not to lose them. Then lift the shield with tweezers and put it next to the unscrewed screws. It is better to use plastic tweezers to remove all metal parts.
Our next task is to power off the smartphone. At the bottom of the housing find a smaller shield than the previous one and remove two screws from it.
Under the shield closer to the battery there is a folded loop. Take the spatula and very carefully pry it underneath, bending it towards the battery.
Back to the display module. It is connected to the main part of the smartphone composite loop with two connectors. Once again we use a spatula to pry both cables, pull them up and disconnect them from the case.
What is a touchscreen
A sensor is responsible for creating the image. It can be liquid crystal or LED. The sensor is coated on the outside with thin glass.
The membrane reacts to the touch of a finger. In this case, the resistance at the corresponding section increases. It is read and transmitted to the control device for processing. There are displays that do not change resistance, but capacity.
The touchscreen is connected to 5 V and ground. There are two more wires in the loop that record the location of the touch. One transmits the X coordinate, the other the Y coordinate. It is interesting to note that you can connect a touchscreen of a different size, which will be larger or smaller. In this case, it will be fully functional.
The membrane is a thin glass or layer of plastic. On the inside the material is covered with a conductive material. On the outside, a protective layer in the form of an oleophobic coating is often used.
Some models use a design where the matrix and touchscreen form one unit. In this case, they can not separate one from the other (but it is possible in the service center). This solution is denoted by the abbreviation OGS (one glass solution).
Depending on the model the phone can have from 1 to 4 loops. For example, if iPad has a fingerprint scanner, you will need a separate cable for its controller. Sometimes there are additional frames or backlight elements.
Tools for repairing iPhone
To diagnose and repair, we will need the following tools and supplies:
You can disassemble iPhone 7 by yourself at home. It is important to perform all actions carefully and make the “correct” layout of the disassembled smartphone on a magnetic mat. And remember, the video is for educational purposes. The authors of this manual are not responsible for your actions. It is your responsibility to make repairs. Failure to follow the above recommendations may result in the replacement of the board in your iPhone.
How to Disassemble the iPhone 5. Disconnecting the Screen
Unscrew the two small screws on the bottom panel with a special Phillips screwdriver, which are on the sides of the Lightning connector.
Then using the suction cup we carefully disconnect the screen. If you do not have a suction cup, then you can use some other tool to pry open the screen from underneath and lift it, but you have to be very careful. As it is possible not only to damage the screen itself, but also to scratch the case.
On the motherboard unscrew the screws, using a plastic spatula further pick up the screen connector and completely remove it.
Full disassembly of iPhone
Unfortunately, any technique is not eternal. With all devices, sooner or later, problems begin or they break down at all. Not an exception and the super-popular smartphones from Apple. Despite the high quality level of iPhone, they also fail. Of course, in most cases, users themselves are to blame. Perhaps everyone at least once dropped the phone on the floor, and some device even managed to be in the water. Whatever the problem with your iPhone, it can be fixed. If you do not want to go to a service center or other offices that provide phone repair services, you can do it yourself, at home. All you need is the right equipment and some knack. This article will show you how to disassemble your iPhone yourself. Let’s begin. Let’s go!
If you disassemble your iPhone, you do so only at your own risk
First of all, you need to decide on all the necessary tools. The special kit with all the tools can be easily ordered in the online store. It should have at least:
- Pentalob five-blade screwdriver;
- Phillips head screwdriver;
- A plastic spatula with which to pry certain parts (you can use something similar);
- suction cup (or a simple suction cup, like on small toys or car key chains).
In principle, this will be enough to disassemble the iPhone without too much trouble.
Now let’s proceed directly to the disassembly procedure itself.
- You need to start with the bottom panel. Remove the screws located near the lightning connector, using a five-blade screwdriver. This is true for iPhones5/5S and newer. If you have an iPhone 4/4S you will need to use a normal Phillips screwdriver.
- Once you have the screws sorted out, use a suction cup to lift your screen. This is done from the bottom, next to the “Home” button. If this is not easy to do, help yourself with a plastic spatula. Note that it is highly recommended not to use a screwdriver for this purpose, as it can damage the case. Use objects made of softer materials. The plastic fits perfectly.
- Lift your screen with care because the iPhone 5S, unlike older models, has a flat cable that connects the display to the motherboard. So if you have the 5S you shouldn’t be in such a hurry. Use the plastic spatula and gently disconnect the cable. After that you can lift the top panel safely.
- Lift the top panel along with the display so that it is at a right angle, unscrew two more screws using a Phillips screwdriver. Carefully pry open with a spatula and remove the entire upper panel.
- Now that your iPhone is split into two halves, unscrew the screws that hold the Home button and take it out.
- Things are a little different on the top of the device in the 5 and 5S models. In the iPhone 5 there is a speaker on the mount, secured with two screws and spring contacts. If necessary, remove the front camera, which is attached by the loop. With iPhone 5S you can take off the speaker, proximity sensor and camera only after you remove the special retaining plate.
- The next step is to remove the metal protection secured with screws.
- Now you can take care of the body of the smartphone. To avoid an electric shock remove the battery. Use a spatula to disconnect the flat cable that connects the battery to the motherboard. Next pick up the battery itself and pull the label. Note that it may be glued, so don’t be afraid to put some force.
- The next step is to remove the main camera. In the 5 model it is securely fastened with screws, but in the 5S it is loose.
- After that take out the motherboard. First disconnect the antenna connector module from the board. Then remove the screws holding the board and the pins near the inner wall. Now carefully remove the motherboard.
- Remove the special film from the processor. And then the processor itself.
- On the bottom of the casing you will find the headphone jack, the Wi-Fi antenna (in the 5th iPhone) and the microphone. All of these elements are attached to the lightning connector. Remove the glue with a spatula. Note that these elements individually cannot be replaced, they can only be replaced all together, even if any one of them fails.
- At the top you will find the vibration motor as well as the GPS and Wi-Fi antennas.
- Done. You have completely disassembled your iPhone.
Disassembly of the iPhone 4S and newer models is done in a similar way, with the minor differences noted above.
Keep in mind that all actions of this kind you carry out at your own risk. After opening the device yourself the warranty will be void. Therefore, you should not try to fix your smartphone yourself if you are not confident in your abilities.
Now you know how to disassemble the iPhone at home. Write in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев if this article helped you to understand and share your experience with other users of disassembly / disassembly of smartphones Apple, if any.
What are the advantages of this approach
Suction cups are really needed in the service centers. But not as in the picture above, but reinforced and larger. Without these suction cups, it’s very difficult to disassemble the Eimaks.