Where iPhone backups are stored on mac
Tips for checking and viewing iTunes Backup
How to view your iTunes backup? This post makes it easy to browse iTunes backups or a single backup on your Mac or Windows computer. In addition, you will know one useful iPhone data recovery tool that allows you to view and restore data from iTunes backup without hassle.
Lose or break your iPhone? Delete all your messages or photos by accident? Want to find an iTunes backup?
How to view iTunes backup files? When Apple users sync their iOS device with iTunes, iTunes automatically backs up their iPhone / iPad / iPod, including photos, videos, contacts, notes, calendar, SMS, etc. Д. However, for most iOS users, they can be confusing to find the location of an iTunes backup, let alone manage an iTunes backup file. To return to the question of how to access your iTunes backup storage? Don’t worry, in this post you can learn how to find an iTunes backup and view various files on iTunes.
Restore data via iTunes
In early versions of macOS (including Mojave and earlier), all backups were created and stored in iTunes. In general, all data exchange with apple devices went through this app. The algorithm is like this:
- Launch the iTunes app.
- Go to Settings, Devices. This tab displays all the mobile backups you’ve made on this computer.
- Right-click on the context menu to select the backup file you want. Click on the “Show in Finder” option.
Backup your iPhone (or iPad) on External Hard Drive [No 3D Party Software]. Step by Step
Finding your iPhone backup on Windows 7, 8, 10 or Vista
- Open your\Users/(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ folder
- Alternatively, press Start, type %appdata% in the search bar, then “Enter” and then the path AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
- Open \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ folder
- Or click on “Start” then “Run”, %appdata% and click on “ok”. Next, go to \Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
How to quickly locate iPhone backup files in Windows 7/8/10
Open the search bar. In Windows 7 you will need to click on the Start Menu; in Windows 8 you can do so by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner; in Windows 10 you will need to click on the search bar next to the Start Menu
Type the following command in the search bar: %appdata%
Open the folder you find
From this folder, go to Apple Computer → MobileSync → Backup.
Important! Do not forget that you can only have one backup per device. So if you create a new. Then the old one will be automatically deleted. Obviously all of the data stored there will be deleted. Try not to lose your backup files, copying them, in case you reinstall the operating system to removable media or a cloud service such as Dropbox.
You can view the backup information directly from iTunes by going to Edit → Settings → Devices. Here you can see the date of the last synchronization, disable automatic synchronization and delete existing backups.
How to find a backup?
The backup is stored in your Google One account as long as the device is active and connected to the Internet. It will be deleted if: you will not use your device for 57 days; you will turn off the backup on your Android device.
How to change the backup location
If you store the backup on your computer, it is automatically located in the system partition. This may not always be convenient, as a small glitch in the system can permanently corrupt this file.
Another reason to store the copy not on the system drive will be the size of the. The size of the files depends on the information you want to save. For example, you should not place a backup of several gigabytes on the system disk.
So it is recommended to move the backup to another location. However, simply copying the files will not solve the situation. In this case you will not be able to use the backup to recover your device. Here you must use Symbolic links or Symbolic link. They are stored in the old backup location and give the system the path to the real files.
To change the location of the backup, you should:
- Move the backup files to an external drive or another drive.
- Delete the original folder on the system drive.
- Open a command prompt as an administrator. To do this, you can use the search on your computer.
- Enter MKLINK /D “original location” “address of new backup location.
After that you should open iTunes and make sure that you were able to move the backup files. To do this, go to “Devices”.
Learn more about how to move a backup in the video
The user can change the location of the backup on the Mac as well. This requires:
- Close iTunes.
- Press the combination “ShiftCmdG” and go to “/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/”.
- Move the Backup folder to a different address, such as an external drive.
- Start the terminal and enter the command “ln.S /Volumes/ new location /Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/”
After that, a link will appear in the backup folder, a file that will lead to the new location. You must also launch iTunes and go to “Devices” to check.
Notes about iPhone backup files
1) To work with iPhone phone backup files, you will need access to the file system of iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC devices.
2) Each iPhone backup file name is given a name in the form of a unique device UDID. This ID can be found in various ways:
- On the case of the device
- This ID can be found in the Apple iTunes application menu. To do this, you need to select your mobile device and go to the “Serial Number” field on the “Browse” tab.
- In the iOS operating system on which your iPhone is running, go to: Settings General About
3) If you own an Apple iPhone XS or XS Max, iTunes will not display the UDID. In this case, use any of the other methods described above for locating the serial number.
4) iTunes program saves iPhone backup copies in the “Backup” folder, which depending on the computer you are using is located in the local user profile of the operating system.
5) The “Backup” directory with the iPhone backup can be copied without any restrictions. But it can not be moved to another place or to another medium.
6) Do not edit, rename or move backup files. Otherwise, the iPhone backup files may be corrupted.
7) iPhone backup files are guaranteed to recover your smartphone’s information and are not intended for third-party programs, as they are saved in Apple’s proprietary format.
How to back up your iPhone on your computer
In order to back up your iPhone on your computer you will need the iTunes app. It can be downloaded from the official Apple website https://www.Apple.Com/en/iTunes/download/ or, if you have Windows 10, from the app store.
After installing and running iTunes, connect your iPhone to your computer or laptop (if this is your first connection, you will need to confirm that you trust the computer on your phone), then follow these steps.
- Click the button with the picture of the phone in iTunes (marked in the screenshot).
- Under “Browse”. “Backups” select “This computer” and preferably check “Encrypt iPhone backup” and set a password for your backup.
- Click “Backup Now,” and then click “Done.
- Wait a while while the iPhone is backed up on your computer (the backup process is displayed at the top of the iTunes window).
This will save a backup of your phone to your computer.
Where to store the iPhone backup on your computer
An iPhone backup created with iTunes can be stored in one of the following locations on your computer:
However, if you need to delete the backup, it’s better to do it from a folder, but as follows.
Deleting a backup
In order to delete your iPhone backup from your computer, start iTunes and then follow the steps below:
How to restore your iPhone from iTunes backup
To restore iPhone from a backup on your computer, turn off “Find iPhone” in your phone settings (Settings. Your Name. Icloud. Find iPhone). Then connect your phone, start iTunes, follow steps 1 and 2 from the first section of this instruction.
Then click “Restore from Copy” and follow the instructions.
How to manage your iTunes and iCloud backups?
We already explained where iTunes is backed up by default and how to move it to another partition on your hard drive. Let’s talk more about setting up backups in iCloud.
Let’s assume that you already have a backup of your iOS device in iCloud. Information about the latest backup is in the Settings menu. Icloud. Storage. Manage. Backup section. The Name of Your Device.
The iCloud backup properties contain the following information:
- The date and time of the last backup.
- Copy size in megabytes.
- Backup options for applications installed on your device.
How to disable program/game backup on iPhone/iPad?
On your device, go to Settings. Icloud. Storage. Manage. Backup section. Your device name”.
In the “Backup Options” list, click “Show all programs”, find the app you want, and turn off the off switch on the right.
Confirm your intention by tapping the “Turn off and delete” button. These apps will not be included in the next iCloud backup.
If you change your mind and want to turn on the backup of your installed app data, turn on the appropriate switches in “Settings. Icloud. Storage. Manage. Backup section. Your device name. Backup options list.
So you have the flexibility to back up individual programs and reduce the size of your iCloud backup.
How to delete iTunes backup?
If you sold your iPhone/iPad, you no longer need its backup stored on your local computer and can delete it.
Start iTunes and go to the Edit menu. Settings. To the “Devices” tab.
Change iPhone Backup Directory macOS Catalina (Part 1)
Left-click on the backup name to select it. Then click “Delete Backup” and confirm your intention.
Your device’s backup will be permanently deleted.
How to delete an iCloud backup?
On your iPhone/iPad go to “Settings. Icloud. Storage. Manage. The name of your device in the “Backups” section.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Delete Copy”.
Confirm your intention by tapping the “Turn off and delete” button. After a few seconds, this copy will be deleted and the free space in your iCloud Storage will be bigger by the size of the deleted backup.
Tips for last
- If the value of your personal data is many times greater than the device on which it is stored, or even priceless, you should set up a backup immediately after purchasing the device.
- If you forget to create backups manually, create conditions where iOS will create them automatically without your involvement.
Back up two copies of one device at a time (unless you have money for iMazing): locally in iTunes and remotely in iCloud. Why?
- Your iTunes backup may be corrupted, for example if the backup failed or did not complete.
- You might lose access to your Apple ID and with it your iCloud copy.
According to Probability Theory, the probability of two events coinciding is always less than the probability of each of those events separately, which means there is less chance of losing data when creating two backups.
User Комментарии и мнения владельцев:
What’s the difference between backup and synchronization?
Hello, Natalia!When you create a backup and then save it to your computer or to iCloud, depending on how you create the backup, it saves all of your data and settings. After repairing or updating the firmware and restoring data from the backup, you get your device with all your data: contacts, SMS, notes, email settings, progress in games, etc.Д. We talked about backup here.Synchronization, on the other hand, allows you to move content from your iTunes library to your device memory. Synchronization does not save user data and settings on the computer, but exchanges data between the PC (master) and the iOS device (slave).If you don’t want to lose all the data from your device after you reflash (restore or upgrade) it, you should back it up as often as possible.Synchronization does not restore data after flashing.
Is it possible to get a back-up copy of all email correspondence that was done with this iPhone?
Yura, e-mail correspondence is stored on the server of the postal service. The iOS device backup stores the email account settings, not the server contents. Go to the server of the mail service, Gmail for example, there should be all your correspondence.