What To Do If Iphone Button Doesn’t Work
Find out what to do if the device’s screen freezes or doesn’t respond to touch or the device freezes when you turn it on.
If the screen is dark or does not respond
If the device screen is dark or does not respond, a forced restart may be required. This procedure does not erase the contents of the device. The device can be forced to restart, even if the screen is dark or it does not respond to button presses. Follow the steps below.
- On iPad models with Face ID: press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press the power button and hold until the device restarts.
- On iPhone 8 or later: press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
- On iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold the top (or side) button and volume down button until the Apple logo appears.
- On an iPad with a Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold the Home button and the top (or side) button until the Apple logo appears.
If the device still does not turn on or boot
Connect the device to a power source and let it charge for about an hour.
After a few minutes, the charging screen should appear.
If the charging screen does not appear for an hour or the “Connect a power source” screen is displayed, check the connector, USB cable and power adapter. Make sure all connectors are securely connected, free of damage, and not clogged. Try using a different USB cable or power adapter.
If the device still does not turn on, find out what to do next.
If the device turns on, but freezes during boot
If the Apple logo or a red or blue screen appears during startup, follow these steps:
- Connect the device to the computer. On Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a Windows computer, open iTunes.
- Locate the device on the computer.
- After connecting your device, follow these instructions.
- On iPad models with Face ID: press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Press the top button and hold it until the device starts to reboot. Continue to hold the top button until the device enters recovery mode.
- On iPhone 8 or later: press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the side button until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold the top (or side) button and volume down button at the same time. Continue holding them until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On an iPad with a Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold the Home button and the top (or side) button at the same time. Continue holding them until the recovery mode screen appears.
- When prompted to perform a restore or upgrade, select Update. The computer will try to reinstall iOS or iPadOS without deleting the data.
The software for the device will be downloaded. If this takes more than 15 minutes, the device will exit recovery mode and will have to repeat steps 2 and 3.
If any of the following problems occurs, contact Apple Support to arrange for service.
- The screen still remains dark after charging, forcing a reboot, or following the instructions in this article.
- The screen remains dark, but alert tones and sounds are heard or vibration is felt.
- The screen remains dark, but you hear a beep when you turn on the sound and connect the device to a power source.
- The screen works, but does not respond to tapping, swiping, or other gestures.
- Cannot force restart the device because the button is broken or stuck.
- The device hangs on the screen with the Apple logo, is not recognized in iTunes or displays a single-color screen.
And get the best deals from trusted craftsmen.
- Compare and choose the best conditions.
- Feedback only from interested professionals
- Do not waste time communicating with intermediaries
If the power button on the iPhone does not work, you can still turn the device on and off using some tricks. A broken “Power” button on a smartphone can cause a number of inconveniences, so this problem should be resolved as soon as possible, especially if the breakdown occurred due to mechanical damage.
But if you urgently need to turn on the iPhone, and the button does not work and you can’t press it, use our recommendations.
Reasons for the malfunction
On smartphones from Apple there are only a few buttons. The main one is the power button. It is she who is responsible for ensuring that you can turn on the device and begin to operate it. You also have to press it to lock and unlock the screen.
Failure of a button on an iPhone can be caused by the following reasons:
- Mechanical damage
- Failure in the work of the loop (then a new loop is needed)
- Liquid entering the device
- Button dropping
- Software failure in the operating system without visible damage to the button
The button may get stuck and stop working after a strong press, so you should not exert much effort when turning on or locking the screen and press hard.
With the faulty Power key, you can use the iPhone for its intended purpose, but the comfort of use will greatly decrease.
What to do if you need to turn off the phone
If the power key has broken and stopped working, and you need to turn off the smartphone, you can use several methods. There are two effective ways:
- Wait until the battery runs out and the smartphone itself turns off
- Turn off the phone using Assistive Touch
To find Assistive Touch on your phone, go to “Settings”, then to “General” and find “Universal Access”, where the desired tab is located. Find there the icon with the inscription “Device” and click on it. You will see the “Screen lock” item in the settings. Long and hard pressing this icon will help turn off the device.
How to turn on the smartphone
When the button broke and the smartphone does not work, but it needs to be turned on urgently, there is only one proven method. To do this, you need an outlet and a charger for the iPhone.
Then do the following:
- Connect your smartphone to the charger
- Plug in the power outlet
- Wait 10-20 minutes if the battery has been completely discharged
Connecting the turned off iPhone to the charger will provoke the inclusion of the device. If this does not happen after 20 minutes of charging, and you see a black screen, you should exclude the breakdown of accessories. Check if the socket, wire or charging itself could break. Sometimes the cause of the problem lies precisely in them.
Sometimes you can try a hard reset. To do this, simultaneously hold down the Power button and the Home button. Hold the button for 12-20 seconds, until a black screen appears on the Apple logo. This method cannot work with a malfunctioning button, especially if it is deformed or does not work due to mechanical damage.
How to fix a key
All the above recommendations for starting the iPhone, if the faulty Power button does not work, are a temporary solution to the problem. If there is a breakdown of the button on the iPhone due to mechanical damage, a software malfunction of the operating system, you should contact an experienced wizard offering an affordable repair cost.
You will also need the help of a repair technician if the button starts to sink after pressing hard. Self-intervention will only exacerbate the problem.
A master with a low repair cost will conduct a thorough diagnosis of the device to determine why the key has broken. Specialists provide the following types of repair services:
- Loop replacement
- Replacing the button itself on the iPhone
- Operating system software crash fix
A new loop after mechanical damage or moisture will eliminate the problem of a faulty button. Also, the wizard will make all the necessary settings if the button breaks down due to a software failure, and it does not work. The repair cost depends on the phone model and the reasons why the key refuses to work. After replacing, do not press the key hard to avoid repeated damage.
If the power button on the iPhone does not work, you cannot fix it yourself. Replacement of the loop and other elements is carried out only with the help of the wizard. Order the services of craftsmen with a low cost of repairing iPhone through YouDo service by filling out a simple application.
Now you know what to do if the power button on the iPhone does not work, and you urgently need to use it.
One of the common problems in Windows 10 is microphone malfunctioning, especially since the recent Windows update. The microphone may not work at all or in any specific programs, for example, in Skype, or in the whole system. In this instruction step by step, what to do if the microphone in Windows 10 stops working on a computer or laptop, both after updating, and after reinstalling the OS, or without any action on the part of the user. Also at the end of the article there is a in which all the steps are demonstrated.
Before proceeding, be sure to check the microphone connection (so that it is connected to the desired connector, the connection is tight), even if you are completely sure that everything is in order with it. Important Note: if you have headphones with a microphone with one connector, they require a combined input / output for the microphone and headphones, and this is not available on any PC and laptop.
The microphone stopped working after updating Windows 10 or reinstalling
After a recent major update to Windows 10, many were faced with the issue in question. Similarly, the microphone may stop working after a clean installation of the latest version of the system.
The reason for this (often, but not always, may require the methods described below). New OS privacy settings that allow you to configure access to the microphone of various programs.
Therefore, if you have the latest version of Windows 10 installed, try these simple steps before attempting the methods in the following sections of the guide:
- Open Settings (WinI keys or through the Start menu). Privacy.
- On the left, select Microphone.
- Make sure microphone access is turned on. Otherwise, click “Change” and enable access, also enable access to applications for the microphone a little lower.
- Even lower on the same settings page in the section “Select applications that can access the microphone”, make sure that access is enabled for those applications where you plan to use it (if the program is not listed, everything is in order).
- Here, enable access for the Win32WebViewHost application (or the Web-based classic application viewer).
After that, you can check whether the problem has been resolved. If not, try the following methods to correct the situation.
Make sure your microphone is set as the default recording and communication device. For this:
- In the latest version of Windows 10, right-click the speaker icon, select “Open Sound Settings”, and on the next screen. “Sound Control Panel” in the “Related Settings” section, then go to the “Recording” tab. In Windows 10 of earlier versions, right-click the speaker icon in the notification area, select the Sounds option, and in the window that opens, open the Record tab.
- If your microphone is displayed but not specified as the default communication and recording device, right-click on it and select “Use default” and “Use default communication device”.
- If the microphone is listed and is already set as the default device, select it and click the “Properties” button. Check the settings on the “Levels” tab, try disabling the “Exclusive mode” marks on the “Advanced” tab.
- If the microphone does not appear, in the same way, right-click anywhere on the list and turn on the display of hidden and disconnected devices. Is there a microphone among them?
- If there is and the device is disconnected, right-click on it and select “Enable”.
If nothing was achieved as a result of these actions and the microphone still does not work (or does not appear in the list of recorders), we proceed to the next method.
Checking the microphone in device manager
Perhaps the problem is in the drivers of the sound card and the microphone does not work for this reason (and its operation depends on your sound card).
- Go to the device manager (for this you can right-click on “Start” and select the desired context menu item). In the device manager, open the Audio Inputs and Audio Outputs section.
- If the microphone does not appear there. We either have problems with the drivers, or the microphone is not connected, or is malfunctioning, try to continue from step 4.
- If the microphone is displayed, but you see an exclamation mark near it (it works with an error), try right-clicking on the microphone, select “Delete”, confirm deletion. Then, in the Device Manager menu, select “Action”. “Update hardware configuration.” Perhaps after that it will work.
- In a situation when the microphone does not appear, you can try reinstalling the sound card drivers, for starters. In a simple way (automatically): open the “Sound, game and devices” section in the device manager, right-click on your sound card, select “Delete “, Confirm the deletion. After removal in the device manager, select “Action”. “Update hardware configuration.” The drivers will need to be reinstalled and perhaps after that the microphone will again appear in the list.
If you had to resort to step 4, but this did not solve the problem, try installing the sound card drivers manually from the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard (if it is a PC) or laptop specifically for your model (i.E. Not from the driver pack and not just “Realtek” and similar from third-party sources). Read more about this in the article Missing Windows 10 Sound.
instruction. The microphone does not work in Skype or another program
Some programs, such as Skype, other programs for communication, screen recording and other tasks, have their own microphone settings. Those. Even if you install the correct recorder in Windows 10, the settings in the program may vary. Over, even if you have already set up the correct microphone, and then disconnected it and reconnected, these settings in programs can sometimes be reset.
Therefore, if the microphone stopped working only in a specific program, carefully study its settings, perhaps all that is required to be done is to indicate the correct microphone there. For example, in Skype, this option is located in Tools. Settings. Sound Settings.
Also keep in mind that in some cases, the problem may be caused by a faulty connector, unplugged connectors on the front panel of the PC (if we connect a microphone to it), a microphone cable (you can check its operation on another computer), or some other hardware malfunction.
And suddenly it will be interesting:
- Windows 10
- Router setup
- All about Windows
- Boot flash drive
- Virus treatment
- Data recovery
- Installation from a flash drive
- In contact with
Why not subscribe?
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from remontka.Pro. No ads and free computer assistance to subscribers from the author. Other methods of subscription (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Yandex.Zen)
04/11/2020 at 13:52
Hello, I connected the headphones, they work, but there is no microphone in the headphones. So I can’t turn off some kind of microphone in the speakers. What to do?
04/11/2020 at 16:44
What does the microphone in the speakers mean? In general, I can’t answer for sure, there are different reasons: both those described above, and, for example, if you have one plug for a microphone and headphones, and your PC or laptop is old, there may not be combined microphone and headphone inputs.
04/11/2020 at 18:31
In the settings I see a working microphone. The strip “moves” during a conversation. But as soon as Skype or Voice Recording starts, the microphone is blocked and nothing is recorded and they don’t hear me. Also, in the Skype settings “analyzer”, the sound from the microphone does not move (tidy dots). All permissions are installed, the microphone is built into the laptop, the drivers are all fresh. Windows 10. All the settings that I saw about the microphone I made, changed, returned. It didn’t help. It’s “seems to work” on its own, but how you launch Skype. That’s it, bummer.
04/12/2020 at 09:21
As for the latest drivers: if the drivers are the ones that 10 itself rolled up, put the laptop manufacturer’s website for your model, preferably not only on the microphone, but also on the chipset / power management.
04/17/2020 at 06:53
04/26/2020 at 12:45
Why is the microphone detected only after the computer restarts?
That is, everything is like this: I accidentally pulled it out of the socket, then reinsert it and he does not see it. I repeat, only rebooting helps, are there ways that your computer can detect it without rebooting?
04/26/2020 at 18:57
Maybe something is wrong with the chipset / power management drivers, try to put the original ones.
04/28/2020 at 05:27
Thank you so much) I suffered for a month)
04/30/2020 at 20:56
Updated Windows. The microphone has stopped working. In the settings I see a working microphone, but actually it doesn’t work. I checked on different platforms even “sticks” green does not show. In the settings, I made a permission for the microphone. But the microphone never worked
05/01/2020 at 10:30
In the settings, the level on the microphone also does not change? (in Parameters). If not, it might be worth trying to reinstall the sound card drivers (manually downloading from the motherboard manufacturer’s website if it is a PC or from the laptop manufacturer’s website if it is a laptop).
05/07/2020 at 20:08
Hooray!! The removal of the card in the equipment manager helped. With your help, I solved the problem in 5 minutes. Before that, I suffered for two days. Thank you so much and all the best.
05/12/2020 at 12:30
The microphone didn’t work, that is, it doesn’t make a sound at all. But when I checked on one site, then the sound from the headphones is transmitted and there you can hear the sound from the headphones, but what I say you will not hear
In the Record tab, the green sticks do not light. I tried through ‘VIA HD Audio Deck’ to select the connector to which the microphone is connected, it still does not work
05/12/2020 at 14:08
If you have VIA, then I would recommend downloading the original driver from the laptop website (if it is a laptop) or the motherboard, even if the old driver is there. They rarely succeed on non-original drivers not from the manufacturer to get.
05/21/2020 at 16:09
Before that, the microphone worked, then it stopped working; only noise is heard; what should I do?
05.22.2020 at 12:51
Hello “before this”. Is it “to what”? It would be useful to know what was happening right before the problem. Maybe Windows was updated (try removing the latest update), maybe the drivers installed or software (try restore points).
05/29/2020 at 22:42
Hello, I connected the headphones with a microphone, the sound is working, and it was once that the microphone worked, that’s all. Help me please