TV does not connect to Wi-Fi. How to connect a Smart TV to a Wi-Fi router
Samsung TV does not see Wi-Fi, does not connect to the Internet. Connection error in Smart TV menu and no internet access
One of the common problems encountered by owners of Samsung Smart TVs. problems with Internet connection. And if everything works more or less steadily when connecting the TV to the Internet via cable, then there are problems with the connection via Wi-Fi. For example, not infrequently users write that their Samsung TV doesn’t have Wi-Fi in its settings, it can’t see wireless networks or doesn’t connect to Wi-Fi. In some cases, after connecting to the router in the Smart TV Samsung TV menu, there is no access to the Internet in the applications and browser. Internet connection or server error (“network not connected”, “no connection to network”) in different applications. There are situations, when, for example, Internet doesn’t work only in YouTube, or web sites don’t open in the TV browser.
If we’re talking about a wireless network connection, you need to understand that the cause of some problems can be not only the TV, but also the router. The process itself to connect your Samsung TV to Wi-Fi is not complicated at all. I recommend to follow the link and try to connect following the instructions. Maybe everything will work out and you won’t have to deal with the solutions I will describe in this article.
To begin with, I recommend making sure your TV has Wi-Fi at all. If you are sure that there is. skip a few paragraphs. Many Samsung TVs (mostly older) with Smart TV function do not have a built-in Wi-Fi module. These televisions can be connected to the Internet either via an external USB receiver (branded, only from Samsung). Either via network cable.
You can check in three ways:
- If you have Samsung TV without Wi-Fi support, most likely there will be no settings for wireless connection at all, or these settings will be greyed out (inactive). Or the TV will ask you to connect a USB adapter (as a flash drive).
- You can go into the TV settings, under “Support”. “Contact Samsung” (or “About this TV”) and scrolling down the page, we will see information about the MAC address. It will show the MAC address for the wired and wireless connection. If the line “Wireless MAC Address.int.” there is no address listed, there is no line, or it is all zeros (or other identical characters). then it means there is no Wi-Fi on the TV. On older models this menu looks a little different, but this does not matter.
- Find out the model of your TV and use a search (you can do a search on the Samsung site) to find and look at its characteristics. The specifications will tell you if it has built-in wireless networking support. If the specs say optionally (or something like that). it means there is no Wi-Fi built in. But support of wireless connection will appear after plugging in the original USB adapter. about this check I wrote in the article at the link above.
If your TV doesn’t have wireless network support (but does have Smart TV). then you can connect it to the internet with a cable. Or use a regular router as a receiver, or a repeater. I covered this here.
No matter what kind of problem (error) you have. before jumping into any complicated solutions, I highly recommend doing this:
- Completely turn off the TV for 10-15 minutes. Do not just turn it off with the remote control, but turn off the power (pull the plug out of the socket). A lot of cases where such a reboot of your Samsung TV solves the problem with the Internet connection.
- Unplug your router for about 30 seconds and plug it back in.
- Try connecting your TV to another Wi-Fi network. It is very important to check it, because this way we can find out what the reason is that Samsung TV does not connect to Wi-Fi, or the Internet does not work after connecting. You can give out wi-fi from your Android phone, or share the internet with your iPhone. Just note that some operators are now blocking distribution. The network is created, but without access to the Internet. So before you connect your TV to this network, it is advisable to connect another device to test.
- Make sure that other devices have no problem connecting to your home Wi-Fi network and that they have access to the Internet.
Next, we’ll look at solutions depending on the problem encountered:
You can go straight to the solutions to a particular problem (using the navigation of the article above).
How can a TV without wi-fi feed the internet via wi-fi
If you study today’s TV market, most of them support Smart TV functions. As an example, the manufacturer LG TVs go with webOS, Samsung has its own Smart-system, but Sony and Philips use Android TV. Of course, there are many other manufacturers, but that’s not the point. You should understand that TVs with Smart TV are an additional source of income for manufacturers, as they aim to sell additional accessories with a good marketing approach.
With such TVs, users can take advantage of a lot of cool features. These include accessing the Internet directly from your TV, watching YouTube, reading the news, monitoring the weather, and many others.
But we need to pay attention of those who do not like to overpay for what will be more profitable. to buy a TV with Smart TV or to buy a TV without these features, but to pick up the console. All because it’s not uncommon for a regular Android set-top box to make your TV more “Smart” than the built-in systems. But for now, let’s not talk about that either, because the article is about how to connect a TV without wi-fi to the Internet via wi-fi.
Many TV models with built-in Smart TV come to customers without a built-in wi-fi receiver. Of course, the new 2017 models in the vast majority come with a built-in receiver. Let’s see how to connect your TV without a wi-fi receiver to the Internet via wi-fi.
If the TV is not connected to the Internet there is no access to Smart functions. The presence of LAN port does not always solve the problem, because the extra cable in the apartment will be annoying, if it is not pulled through the box in the wall. And now there are still few of these, because not everyone has the opportunity to do so. And the cable is annoying with its presence because of the possibility of even just hooking it up and knocking down an expensive TV.
Smart TVs without wi-fi module can be attributed to the insidious plan of manufacturers. It is possible to equip the TV with a wireless module and make it a bit more expensive within a couple of dollars. But they don’t do that, wanting to sell the original wi-fi adapters at a triple overpriced. It’s not uncommon for the price of such an adapter to start at 100. And to find these adapters is not so easy. It is interesting that TVs without wi-fi modules are sold and do not take into account the wishes of customers to connect to the World Wide Web via the usual wi-fi.
There are several ways to connect your TV without a wi-fi module to the Internet using wi-fi.
To begin with we advise you to study in detail the technical specifications of your TV and use the information from the manufacturer’s official website. You may already have wi-fi on your TV, and you can connect it to wireless networks. Often the manual for LG TVs helps, as well as a separate manual for connecting Philips on Android TV. If there is definitely no built-in wi-fi receiver, then there is an option of buying a branded external USB adapter.
The second option is to buy a regular wi-fi adapter from TP-Link, D-Link and others. You just need to flash it to work with the appropriate TV. We haven’t tried it ourselves, but it’s pretty easy to find such information and firmware options on the Internet. Although according to the information presented this process is not easy.
The third option is to buy an ordinary inexpensive wi-fi router or repeater and then configure the device as an adapter for TV without wi-fi. And now more about this option to connect your TV without wi-fi to the Internet via wi-fi.
How to make a wi-fi adapter from a router for Smart TV without built-in wi-fi modules.
Very, very simple. Almost any modern router can work in different modes. precisely, as an amplifier (repeater), as an access point, adapter or wireless bridge.
And now a step by step instruction on how to make a wi-fi adapter from a router for your TV to connect the latter to wi-fi.
Buy a router. You can use any old one. You can use absolutely cheap models like Netis and Totolink. Here the choice is yours, since other manufacturers’ routers will also work.
Set your router to adapter mode. If such mode is available, then the selected router will receive the Internet from the wi-fi network which is at home, and transmit this Internet to the TV via a normal network cable. You can also use the bridge mode or the same network amplifier. Only in this mode the router will amplify your wi-fi network.
Using a network cable connect your TV to the router.
As a result your TV gets Internet via wi-fi and you don’t need to pull a separate cable through the whole apartment.
Approximately it will look like this:
As an adapter you can use a regular repeater with LAN-port. Fortunately, LAN ports are present in almost all models.
What happens. You can buy a router or a repeater at any store, including ours. If compared to LG, Philips, Samsung Wi-Fi receivers, etc., the price can be many times different. It depends on what you choose. Simply original adapters are very expensive.
We hope that we were able to solve your problem with the TV without wi-fi module (receiver) connected to your home wireless network.
Reboot your TV and router
The first thing to do if WI-FI doesn’t work on your TV is to reboot your Smart TV and router. Malfunction can be of software nature and can be easily fixed by reinitializing your device drivers. To reboot your TV, turn it off and then turn it back on. Some experts also recommend that you unplug the appliance and then plug it back in. This tip makes sense for those TVs that remain connected to the local network even after turning off the screen.
When rebooting your router, you need to wait 10-20 seconds between turning it off and on. During this time, the previous Internet session will be closed on the provider’s side. That’s why the connection will be done anew with zeroed settings. Once Smart TV and the router will be connected again try to connect WI-FI.
Built-in Wi-Fi module is defective
To determine why the TV set can’t connect to the Internet, you need to check whether it supports Wi-Fi. If the model does not support Wi-Fi, then buy a special adapter. It is desirable that the TV and the external Wi-Fi module were from the same manufacturer, otherwise there could be compatibility problems.
If TV set supports wireless connection and everything was working correctly, but then the connection is lost, it means that hardware Wi-Fi module is out of order. Diagnostics is performed on the similar principle, but there are certain differences. Let’s take the LG TV as an example:
- First you need to check if the TV can connect to other wireless networks. For example, if the device does not detect other available connections, most likely the module is defective.
- Open the settings and then go to the “Support” section. Open detailed information about the TV. In the line with the address, pay attention to the symbols. If the address consists of zeros, this indicates that the module is defective.
It is very difficult to fix the hardware malfunction by yourself. This requires special equipment. It is better to apply to the service center so that the engineers could normalize the TV.
One more way out of this situation is to buy an external adapter. In brief we have already talked about this possibility. Visually, the Wi-Fi adapter looks like the most common USB flash drive. The device is connected to your TV via HDMI or USB connector. Supermarkets and electronics stores also sell external adapters with multidirectional antenna. Such devices are able to provide the highest quality signal reception.
Experts recommend using a USB cable so that the adapter and the TV are at a certain distance. Connection according to this scheme allows us to minimize the interference that reduces the reception quality. As a result, the speed of the Internet connection will noticeably increase.
Earlier we’ve already talked about possible compatibility issues. So open the manual to your TV, and look at what devices your model supports. You can also find information about supported external adapters on the official website of the TV manufacturer.
The Internet does not work on the LG TV after connecting to Wi-Fi
If our TV still connects to the wireless network, then we can expect another surprise. Error “No connection to the Internet via Wi-Fi”.
As you can see in the photo above, there is a connection between the TV and the router (green), but then there is no connection to DNS and the Internet (gray). It turns out that our LG Smart TV (webOS system) is connected to Wi-Fi, but the Internet is not working. Hence the various errors: 105, 106 and others. Cannot find requested address” message in YouTube app.
Network Error (3). Failed to find the DNS server.
Depending on the application, browser, network errors on LG TV can be different. There has also recently been information about this error: “Connecting to the web page is not possible due to security reasons. Refresh your browser, or try again.
If on your other devices the Internet works fine and stable via given Wi-Fi network, then obviously there is a problem with the connection on the TV side. Just make sure that there are no problems on the side of the router, or ISP.
In the TV settings you need to add a static DNS-address from Google. To do this, go to the settings, go to “Network”. “Wi-Fi network connection”. Select “Advanced Settings”.
Uncheck the box next to “Automatic”. Write down the DNS: 22.214.171.124. Click on the “Connect” button.
The DNS and Internet connection should appear. The connection status will be “Connected to the Internet.
LG TV does not connect to Wi-Fi: the reasons why the TV does not see the router, loses network and poor Wi-Fi reception
Usually it takes almost no effort to connect your LG TV to the router, and you can do it in less than one minute. But there are situations when the TV doesn’t connect to the network, doesn’t see Wi-Fi or is often disconnected.
Let’s take a look at the cases when LG TVs don’t see Wi-Fi. First of all, you should make sure that this model of LG TV supports Smart TV and it has a built-in Wi-Fi module. You can check the TV model on the official LG site. Possible options:
- The TV set has no Smart TV. In this case, the TV cannot be connected to the Internet using neither a router nor a cable. Models without Smart TV are equipped with a LAN port, but it is necessary for connecting to a local network and for viewing content, for example, from a computer.
- TV with Smart TV, but without a built-in Wi-Fi. LG TV is connected to the Internet either with cable or with an additional router (repeater). On the site description of this LG TV there is a “-” icon next to the Wi-Fi option, there is no built-in adapter.
- The TV supports Smart TV, but the Internet only works when you use a branded Wi-Fi receiver, which plugs into a USB port. On the site of these models, in front of the Wi-Fi item is “Ready” or “Optional”. This means you can connect via an external LG adapter.
- LG TV with Smart TV and built-in receiver. On the website, the Wi-Fi item will have a “∙” or the word “Yes” next to it. At the moment, almost all LG TVs with Smart TV already have a built-in Wi-Fi receiver.
After the performed actions, the TV still does not catch Wi-Fi. The reason might be the router breakage or software obsolescence. You will need to contact the service center to fix or replace it.
If TV does not see any network and writes that Wi-Fi is off and the switch is in the “Off” position and inactive, most likely the problem is in the Wi-Fi module of the TV. And it will be necessary to contact the LG service center for advice on further actions.
In some cases, after selecting the network and entering a password, the following message appears: “Failed to connect to the network”. Try rebooting the TV and router with a shutdown for 20 seconds. If it did not work and the TV did not see the network, or LG TV shows error 106 when trying to connect to the network, you should check if the DNS address is correct:
- Go to the “Settings” section of your LG TV
- Next, select the “Network” section
- Go to the “Wi-Fi Network Connection” menu
- Select the “Advanced Settings” line
- Click on the “Change” button
- Uncheck the “Automatically” option
- On the “DNS” line, type 126.96.36.199
- Click on the “Connect” button
After the above actions, the error 106 should disappear, and the Internet connection will be restored.
Sometimes the cause can be found in the router settings:
- In the DHCP subsection, make sure that the server icon is lit “On”, if not, you need to enable this function, as it automatically assigns IP addresses to the devices. Sometimes you may encounter a situation that DHCP-server is enabled, but not working, then you can assign an IP-address manually, the available local addresses are in the administrative panel of the router.
- In the security block ensure that the filter by MAC-address is disabled. And we recommend to add TV’s MAC-address to the “white list”, devices from this list will not be automatically blocked while trying to connect. You can see the MAC address of the TV in “Settings”, then select “Support” and “Product Info”.
- Check the router settings for correctness. Security type must be WPA2-PSK (Personal). The network name has to be in English letters. Specify the network mode as mixed “b/g/n”, or “Only n. Channel. “Auto”. Channel Width. Auto. Try to manually change the settings of your router, changing the channel, its width and the mode of the network (for example: channel.11, width. 20MHz, working mode. 802.11n).
Save the settings and reboot the router. It is necessary to restart after each change. Otherwise, the router will revert to the old settings.
If your LG TV frequently disconnects from the network or the signal rate drops, but all other devices connected to Wi-Fi work correctly, then you should look for the cause in the TV:
- Try disabling Wi-Fi Direct, which is a standard based on Wi-Fi that allows devices to exchange data without using a Wi-Fi access point. This technology has a fairly large range and can connect more than two devices simultaneously (TV, projector, mouse, keyboard, camera, etc.).д.).
- You can also disable Miracast, which is a wireless video transmission technology. With its help you can display an image from the screen of your smartphone, tablet or laptop on the screen of LG TV. You can turn off the “Listening Mode” in the Screen Share settings. This feature can affect network performance and connection stability, so it’s always on by default so that smartphones and laptops can find the TV and connect to it for picture streaming at any time.
- You can temporarily disable the auto software update, as it may reset the network when the TV starts up.
- Switch to 5GHz frequency for a more stable network. You need to contact LG technical support to find out if your LG TV supports 802.11ac.11ac. If your TV supports the 802.If you have a router that supports 5 GHz (not just 2.4 GHz), and your router supports 5 GHz Wi-Fi networking, you must manually change the channel. In the settings of the router, select the section “Wireless mode” and “Wireless mode settings” specifically for the 5 GHz band, in the line “Channel” you must select one of the values: 36, 40, 44 or 48.
- Supplement the equipment with a repeater to boost the signal. Because if the distance between the router and the TV is too long, the signal will be weakened, and the streaming video will start to be interrupted under heavy load.
- Connect your LG TV to the network with a cable to avoid overloading the Wi-Fi network from the mass connection of various devices. It will also help eliminate interference from household appliances (like microwave ovens or refrigerators).
TV can’t see the Wi-Fi network at all
This is the most common type of problem. Usually it means that when you want to connect to Wi-Fi network, TV just can’t find it and it is not displayed in the list of available (or, less often, it is grayed out and you can’t connect to it). ).
Among the list of networks (which the TV sees). None of your.
Reset the TV and router
This step is fairly trivial, but very effective (after all, when you reboot the device is re-initialized and paired, which eliminates many glitches in the software).
By the way, if you do not know how to reset the Wi-Fi router, it is enough to unplug it for 20-30 seconds. (it is necessary that the previous Internet session with the provider was closed).
How far away is the TV from the Wi-Fi router?
Pay attention to the distance between the Wi-Fi router and TV: the further they are apart, the worse and weaker will be the signal (t.е. internet quality). By the way, it should be noted that the walls, furniture (especially mirrors), and other radio devices can significantly weaken the radio signal.
Below in the screenshot I have presented a typical layout of a 2-bedroom apartment: on the right. the router’s location is good; on the left. not so good.
Location of the router in the apartment: on the right. option is much more successful
In order to diagnose and find the cause of the problem, I would recommend the following:
- Try to take the phone and connect it to Wi-Fi too, when you are near TV (will it see the network?? what will be the signal level?) ;
- If possible, move the router closer to the TV (or vice versa). Will not appear the signal.
Check the range of the router (2.4 and 5 GHz) and the operating channel
Modern routers can operate in two ranges: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (preference is given to the latter, t.к. the data transfer rate is higher). However not all TVs support 5 GHz, therefore, we recommend to switch on broadcasting in 2 ranges at once in the router settings.
5 GHz or 2,4 GHz. TP-Link router configuration
One more important point: TVs for Europe and the CIS can see 5 GHz network only on 4 channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 (channel. this is a special channel). setting in the router, indicating to it the exact frequency of the network on which it operates). If we talk about the network 2.4 GHz. then the operating range is from channel 1 to channel 13 (for Russia and CIS).
Channels are also set in the settings of the router (in the “Wireless mode”).
Wireless mode. channel settings (TP-LINK router)
By the way, it is worth saying that if your TV or router is not localized for Europe or the CIS, it is possible that it “does not see” some of the channels. Try one by one, as an experiment, to change a few channels in the router‘s web interface.
Channel setting in Wi-Fi router, how to choose a free channel: or why frequent drops of Wi-Fi, low speed, poor quality of coverage. https://ocomp.info/wi-fi-kanal-na-routere.html
and if TV sees even one network?
And lastly, does your TV even see one Wi-Fi network at all?? If you live in the city (in a typical apartment building). you should find at least 3-10 Wi-Fi networks of your neighbors
If this doesn’t happen, you may have a damaged Wi-Fi module. As an option, you can try to connect TV to the router with the network cable, or use an external Wi-Fi adapter.
Connecting the TV to the router with a network cable
How to connect a non-Smart TV to WI-FI
As I mentioned before, there are ways to access the internet without having to buy a device with an operating system installed.
You can choose a Samsung, Sony, Philips, or other TV without smart function, but with a WI-FI module or using external devices.
Of course, the first option seems to be the most convenient. There are multimedia models on the market that mostly have an Internet connection.
For example, a TV like this is the LG 49LW540S. Just because of this type of hardware, they are relatively expensive.
In this case, you should use the second method. external devices, thanks to which you do not need to buy a new TV.
They are in the form of small cubes, reminiscent of the design of TV tuners or set-top boxes, which we connect to the HDMI input or a little more boxes,
Their biggest advantage is that they allow you to connect your TV to the Internet, as well as install various applications, such as Netflix or HBO GO. This gives us access to all the features you expect from a Smart TV.
An example of such a device can even be Google Chromecast. Thanks to this we can easily transfer your TV content played on your laptop, smartphone or tablet.
Everything happens without problems. Likewise work Smart Boxes, which, depending on the model, have their own operating system or are based on Android or Linux software. Apple TV devices represent a separate category.
Finally, it is worth mentioning that we can also connect to the Internet by connecting small computers to the TV, which has its own system, processor, graphics unit and RAM.
From a technical point of view, in most cases they do not differ from standard computers.
Our TV acts as a monitor in this situation. Thanks to this, for relatively little money we get access to the network and all programs and applications.
As you can see there are many ways to connect to the Internet. You don’t need to have a Smart TV to use the browser, watch movies or listen to music players. Good luck.