The speakers on the iPhone stop working
iPhone 8 is hard to hear. Why is the speaker not working on your iPhone (iPhone)
With the growing popularity of Apple products, and especially the iPhone, it is perfectly logical and a jump in demand for service centers servicing these products. Every day hundreds of users come into service salons and complain that their iPhone only works with one of the speakers. All of them are sure that their device has a defect, and feel at least cheated, because they paid a lot of money for the purchase of a brand new iPhone 5s. Let’s find out what the real causes of such problems, and try to fix them without resorting to replacing the entire device.
In most cases, the problem can be solved without buying a new gadget
Apple has acknowledged the problem with the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro’s talking speakers. and is offering free repairs
30.08.2021 at 12:40 am Updated: 30.08.2021 at 12:41 am Volodymyr Skripin Volodymyr Skripin
Apple recently launched a new free warranty program for owners of smartphones iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro with problematic talking speakers.
Apple has acknowledged that a “very small percentage” (standard wording for such cases) of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro may have audio problems due to a faulty speaker. The problem affects iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro manufactured between October 2020 and April 2021. What’s interesting, the two remaining models of the current lineup. iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max. do not have any problems with the speakers. At least, that’s the official stance. The term of the program is two years from the date of purchase of the device.
“If your iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro doesn’t make a sound in the talkback speaker when you make or receive calls, it’s probably repairable.”.
From Apple’s statement
Judging by the small number of complaints, which can be found on Reddit or. The problem with speakers is not a widespread one. But an extra year of warranty for potential speaker problems would clearly not hurt iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro owners. Those who encounter problems should contact the nearest Apple-authorized service center for free repair (in Ukraine they are Asbis, A-Service and several other companies listed on the official Apple website).
Before giving the smartphone for repair, the manufacturer recommends making a backup copy of the data, warning that the diagnosis and replacement may take some time. Apple also stipulates that the device must not have other damage, such as a cracked screen glass, and the company may apply regional restrictions. In other words, free repair can be refused if the device was purchased in another country.
Most likely the liquid got inside the device, and it is already more difficult to eliminate, read about it in the article what to do if the phone was dropped into the water?
- What to do if the speaker of the phone poured beer / jam / other edible and not very liquid?
- If the speaker does not work iPhone 6, will the troubleshooting guide from the younger models?
Yes, the methods will work with success for the iPhone 4s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and even for the 7 series.
How to pass the iPhone for repair under warranty
There are a few important conditions in order to take advantage of warranty repair iPhone speaker
Apple will repair your device free of charge if it meets the criteria. Search for authorized Apple service centers in your city.
- Be sure to call to clarify whether this type of repair is possible in the service center
- Make an appointment for repair if necessary. Bring the box from under your iPhone and the receipt of purchase just in case (just in case they may ask you). Usually it takes 1-2 hours to repair your device, so hopefully you won’t be without your iPhone for long
- In addition, you can contact Apple Support with this problem, if there are no authorized service centers in your locality. They’ll tell you how to mail your iPhone
- Don’t forget to check when your iPhone was released so you can count on service.
Why isn’t the speaker on your iPhone working?
- Silent mode enabled. Check if you have set the device to “Do Not Disturb” mode (the button on the side, on the case). If you can’t hear just the ringtone, that’s probably the problem. Also check whether you did not mute the volume keys. then you will not hear anything at all, including when talking.
- Incorrect settings. Try going to “Settings”. “Basic”. “Universal access”. “Audio-visual material”. Pay attention to the “mono audio” item, especially if the left speaker does not work on the iPhone 7 model. Activate this feature with the slider and you will immediately notice that there is sound not only in the upper speaker, but also in the lower one.
- Audio devices connected. When the speaker suddenly stops working, it is worth checking whether there are any audio playback devices connected to it: speakers, headphones, multimedia system, stereo, etc. п. In the age of wireless gadgets it is very easy to forget about this, and you can’t have two speakers functioning at the same time. Try disabling Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to accurately terminate the connection with the extraneous device.
- System failure. Very often fine debris and dust get clogged up in the headphone jacks and thus “confuse” the system, which interprets foreign objects as a device. This often happens on iPhone 6, iPhone 11, iPhone XR, where the holes for the devices are quite large and the recognition system is not very subtle. Take something sharp, but not metallic, like a canapé skewer, and clean the holes (but without any detergents). If you are a frequent guest on suspicious sites and download something from there, a carelessly downloaded virus can “eat” files of audio libraries, necessary for reading audio extensions. Reset the device to its default settings.
- Speaker breakage. If there were all kinds of noises, the speaker began to work quietly, it is difficult to hear the interlocutor, then the membrane itself could break down. Vigorous shaking of the phone, getting water, juice, tea or coffee on it, as well as hitting any surface (sometimes even a soft one) contribute to this. In this case, you will have to go to a specialist to disassemble the gadget and see what happened.
- Broken sound card loop. This cable connects the circuit board to the speaker and is very sensitive to impacts and is one of the most vulnerable parts of your iPhone. It is also being replaced in the workshop.
If you still have an active warranty, you can also write to Apple Support and ask why the sound is not working. Perhaps by describing the problem they will understand what it is and advise you how to fix it.
How many speakers are in the iPhone
Not to delay, we answer at once. The iPhone has two speakers. One is located at the top of the smartphone. It is used so that we can hear the person we are talking to. The lower one is designed for audio playback. Under the second grill is a microphone, not a speaker as many might think.
The famous iPhone stereo effect is achieved due to the fact that the upper speaker not only transmits sound from an incoming call, but also plays audio.
And under the left grill there is only a microphone. So if you think that the lower left speaker on your iPhone doesn’t work, it’s not a surprise, it’s just not there.
The speaker does not work in the iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE
Starting with iPhone 4 the situation is a bit different. the speaker and the microphone have been swapped and in iPhone 5 Apple designers have changed the size and number of holes for the first time.
Location of the iPhone 4, iPhone 4s speaker and microphone:
Location of the speaker and microphone of iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone SE:
Speaker and microphone location iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus:
iPhone speaker not working. to summarize
To summarize, we can say the following. The smartphone has an upper and lower speaker. Anything can get damaged. The main causes include:
- flooding of the smartphone (snow, rain, tea, beer, coffee, juice, water);
- Mechanical damage (falls: dropped, dropped);
- Dust, small debris, connector
- software failure;
- the volume is turned off;
- Factory defect.
If there is a suspicion of a factory defect, then immediately take the service Apple, but make sure that the iPhone is not unlicensed software. if there is a repair under the warranty will not get.
Also the warranty is voided if you drop, pour or damage the device. then you can contact any service. not necessarily Apple. Good luck.
One comment on “6 proven tips if the speaker on your iPhone doesn’t work”
I have speakers working if the battery is fully charged, only approaching 40% no sound from any speaker, not me not hear and the call does not go through(((