Sound Does Not Work On Asus Laptop
Sound problems can be a serious test for the laptop owner. But drop all sorts of stereotypes. in most cases even a novice user can cope with this trouble. If you are also wondering: “the sound does not work on my laptop, what should I do?”, Then this article is for you.
To immediately eliminate one of the most basic problems with sound, let’s check the volume controls. Firstly, if the is played from the Internet, you need to click on the speaker icon and increase the volume. Then try the controls on the speakers. If this procedure did not help return the sound, we move on.
Important! When playing media files in a browser, one important point should be taken into account. sometimes the lack of sound may be due to an outdated version of the flash player. We recommend updating it and trying again before moving on.
Proper connection of audio devices
You must also make sure that the speakers and headphones are correctly connected to the outputs of the sound card. Typically, the speakers are connected to the green output of the sound card. It is important to check the performance of the speakers themselves, otherwise further steps to adjust the sound may be in vain. The easiest way to check is to connect the speakers to the phone as headphones and turn on the music.
Next, go to the audio parameters:
- click on the volume icon and use the right mouse button to select “Playback Devices”;
- we check which device plays the default sound (they may not be speakers, but, for example, an HDMI output if you previously connected a TV to the PC);
- if the speakers are still specified by default, then select them in the list and click “Properties”;
Windows Audio Service
Let’s try to find the reason for the lack of sound using the Windows Audio service:
- press the WinR key combination and in the window that appears, enter the command “devmgmt.msc”;
- go to the tab “Sound, game and devices” and right-click on the name of the sound card;
- select “Properties” and check the line “Device Status”;
- if something other than “The device is working fine” is written in this paragraph, then the problem most likely lies with the drivers for the sound card, we will talk about updating them in the corresponding section of the article.
Set up sound in BIOS
To configure sound through the BIOS, we need:
- enter the BIOS menu by pressing the Del key at PC startup or, depending on the computer model, F2, F9 (information about the key needed for this is usually displayed when turned on at the bottom of the screen);
- in the interface that appears, we find the section “Integrated Peripherals”;
- select it and press “Enter”;
- here is a list of devices integrated into the motherboard, we are looking for the item “Onboard Audio Controller” in the list (the name may differ depending on the BIOS version);
- open the list of options and proceed to configure them;
- if you need to activate the built-in sound controller, then set the “HD Audio” parameter to “Disabled”, and in the paragraph “AC97 Audio” indicate “Enabled”;
After that, the computer will reboot and start working with the new settings.
One of the main reasons for the loss of sound may be the inoperability of the speakers. an excess or a cord, connecting to the wrong input.
In this case, proceed as follows:
- we check the cords along the entire length to make sure their integrity;
- we make sure that the speakers are connected correctly: the sound card has several outputs, the microphone jack is usually highlighted in pink, and green for speakers.
Attention! A common problem is the deterioration of these inputs. Sometimes it may be necessary to unwind the system unit and fix them a little. remove and reinsert. It will also be useful to clean their dust, which impedes the normal signal.
Do not forget to check whether the speakers are connected. This is usually indicated by the LED located on their front panel. We check the sound, increasing it to the maximum (at the same time, hissing should appear in the columns).
A driver malfunction is another common reason why sound does not work on a laptop.
Let’s check it out:
- open the control panel;
- in the search bar, enter “dispatcher” and go to the found link;
- select the tab “Sound, gaming and devices”;
Attention! To diagnose the sound device (and other components of the PC), you can use the Everest program, which not only indicates the model of your sound card, but also provides links for downloading the necessary drivers.
- download and install drivers, reboot the system.
If the sound card is not displayed in Windows, this may indicate a malfunction of the device or its incorrect connection. We recommend that you clean the PC from dust and, if the card is not built-in, blow out its slot and reconnect.
Install Windows XP from a flash drive, located here.
You can also try installing a different version of the driver. an older or newer one. Perhaps the reason for the lack of sound is a driver conflict. In this case, installing a different version may help.
Sound Card Status
Partially checking the sound card has already been mentioned in the previous paragraphs. Initially, it is worth considering how old the device is and whether it is possible to fail. If the board is new enough, this also does not guarantee its performance.
Check her work:
- we press WinR and in the line we enter “devmgmt.msc”;
The sound on the laptop works, only in the headphones
This behavior of the device is due to the peculiarity of laptops as such. they have an automatic switch that allows you to configure and switch between headphones and speakers. If the sound is present only in the headphones, there is a problem with it. In this case, you can try reinstalling the driver (we wrote about this procedure above). If the problem persists, we recommend that you contact a specialist.
Sound keys do not work
What should I do if the sound keys stop working? You can cope with this trouble yourself. On laptops, the sound (as well as the brightness of the screen and turning on the wireless connection) is controlled by the FN key. If for some reason it has stopped working, only reinstalling the driver or special software can help.
Consider this process in stages:
- go to the manufacturer’s website and find your laptop model (or model of the same series);
- we find the support section and look through the utilities available for download;
- for example, for Asus laptops, a similar program is called “ATK”;
- click on this name, select your version of the operating system and download the file;
- unzip it and start the installation;
- after the end, check the performance of FN.
The best antivirus according to testing results, here.
A program for recovering data from a hard drive. Choose here.
Important! To turn the sound on and off, use the FN-F10 combination. F11 and F12 adjust it.
We examined the most common reasons why sound does not work on laptops. By following our simple instructions, you can deal with any problems yourself. If you encounter a case that does not fit into any of the categories we have reviewed, write about it using the comment form.