Mac OS Reset NVRAM and SMC. Step 3 Pram / NVRAM Reset
Further solutions for correction of MacBook Pro hanging on the password screen
Reset SMC and Pram / NVRAM of your device
In some cases, it is necessary to reconfigure Pram / NVRAM or SMC on your Mac. By reinstalling Pram / NVRAM or SCM, it helps to eliminate some errors and restore the basic settings of your Mac to the original state.
- Pram (parameter of the operational storage device). This is an energy.dependent RAM used to store system settings on the Mac, including screen resolution, sound volume, time zone, choosing a boot disk and the latest information about the nucleus panic.
- NVRAM (energy.dependent RAM). This offers the same service as Pram for users while maintaining certain system settings. Recently, most Mac computers use NVRAM instead of Pram, since it often becomes unstable, which requires its restoration and correction. However, the discharge of NVRAM is safer and faster.
- SMC System Management Controller. This is responsible for the Mac based on Intel, which plays a vital role in the physical parts of the computer, such as temperature and nutrition control, charging the battery, sleep and awakening mode, LED indicators and many others.
How to reset Pram / NVRAM
- Turn off your device and turn it on.
- Remove and press the Command Option R P quickly
- After holding for 20 seconds, the device will automatically restart
- Release the keys
After reset, all the settings of your device will return to the default settings. At this stage, you can configure the volume, time zone or keyboard and much more parameters. If the reset of Pram / NVRAM has not eliminated the problem related to the problem of “MacBook Pro stuck on the password screen”, it is necessary to reset SMC.
How to reset SMC
If you are going to reset SCM to solve the problem “MacBook Pro, stuck on a password screen, you must check if your device is a removable battery or not.
MacBook Pro / MacBook Air with a removable battery
- Turn off the device
- Disconnect the battery
- Hold the power button up to 5 seconds.
- Reinstall the battery
- Turn on your device again
- Turn off your device
- Press the SHIFT, CONTROL, OPTION and power button for 10 seconds.
- Release the keys
- Turn on the device
- Turn off the device and disconnect the power cord
- After 15 seconds, connect the power cord again
- Wait 5 seconds and reboot the device
- Turn off your device
- Press and hold the power button up to 8 seconds
- Release the power button and wait a few seconds.
- Turn on your device
Renaming files “PLIST”
You must download your device in safe mode. Log in using the account.
- Open Finder and click “GO” in the menu line. Click on the option to choose a library.
- Open the terminal. The key to “Sudo MV” and move the “Settings” folder, which is located in the Library folder, right at the terminal window.
- Change the settings folder using a separate mark and / or catalog. An example is Sudo MV ~/Library/Preferences to ~/Documents/Preferences.LD
- Reload the device.
Getting rid of the plugin Razer
For some users, they discover that Razor removal can help with the problem of “MacBook Pro stuck on the password screen”. You can also try this approach using the following steps:
- Click “Command R” while loading the device to switch to recovery mode.
- Start the utility terminal
- Continue/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug.ch/Hal/and delete the connected Razer module.
Reinstalling MacOS on your device
- Hold the “Command R” while loading the device
- After viewing the service menu, select “Install OS X”.
- Click on the button to continue.
Using the methods discussed in relation to the solution, “MacBook Pro stuck on the password screen”, you can find the main reason and ultimately eliminate the problem.
Eliminating problems with Pram and SMC with PowerMymac
Cleaning tools can be useful for solving many problems. There is an effective utility is called IMYMAC PowerMYMYMAC, which easily cleans and eliminates any Mac problems. This software performs diagnostics and informs you about the state of your device, and also gives you the opportunity to increase its performance. How cool it is? You do not need to practically spend a lot of time searching and pressing unfamiliar steps and buttons and fear that you can ruin your Mac.
PowerMyMAC accelerates the operation of your device and safely delete unnecessary files that can clog the system. If you find your Mac slicks or the system lacks the memory of the application, it may be useful to solve these problems.
All you need to do is download and start the program, and let it do her job! Use its free loaded version!
Pram against NVRAM
As indicated, Pram and NVRAM denote the parameter and energy.dependent RAM. But what does it really mean?
Ordinary RAM. This is a group of microcircuits in which active processes and applications are stored. When you download the application, it uses RAM to work. When you close the application, it frees up the RAM for other applications and processes. In addition, the RAM has the opportunity to store certain system settings.
In other words, this is how your Mac remembers volume settings, preferred brightness and display resolution, Bluetooth settings and wireless. D. This is what you call Pram or all information that is not discarded when you turn off the Mac.
As an energy.dependent memory, NVRAM also indicates all the settings that are not discarded and do not change automatically. Without going into all technical aspects, and Pram and NVRAM. This is one and the same when it comes to eliminating the problems of certain problems of Mac.
When you need to discard Pram on Mac?
Reset Pram is effective for a certain set of problems that you may encounter.
First of all, run the reset if your Mac does not load as it should. The same thing happens if you do not see external devices, hard drives or monitors. In addition, the wrong time and faulty Bluetooth are also good indicators of the Pram discharge check.
You should know that some peripheral devices can be incompatible with MacOS, so it is better to check the compatibility before buying/installation. Reset Pram affects loading wheels and peripheral devices such as MIDI controls, graphic tablets, etc. D. That’s why you need to reinstall the devices and accommodate their settings after reset.
How to reset Pram or NVRAM on Mac
You do not need to know if your Mac NVRAM or PRAM has, since the process of reset of both is the same:
- Turn off your Mac.
- Press the power button.
- Before the gray screen appears, press the Command ، Option ، p و R keys at the same time.
- Hold the keys until the computer is rebooted and you will not hear the sound of the launch again.
- On MAC computers with a security chip, hold the keys until the Apple logo appears and will disappear for the second time.
- Release the keys.
After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may notice that some settings, such as time, volume, mouse settings and keyboard settings, are absent. If you remember your previous computer settings, you can return them to a normal state in just a few minutes.
Step 1 SMC Reset for MAC laptops with a fixed battery
If your Mac is equipped with a removable battery, miss this step and go to step 2.
After your Mac is turned off, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, and then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and a power button for 10 seconds. If you have MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also a power button.
Let all the keys go. Press the power button again to enable your Mac.
Step 2 SMC Reset on a MAC laptop with a removable battery.
If you do not know how to extract the Mac battery, follow the link and select the brand and model of your Mac.
After you have taken out the battery, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Let the power button. Reinstall the battery.
Press the power button again to enable Mac.
Before performing SMC reset
It is reasonable to discard the control settings of the macbook system only when any other methods of setting up the device do not help eliminate the malfunction.
Therefore, it is recommended to perform a number of certain sequential actions and see what the result will be.
If changes in the operation of the device are not noted (defects are relevant), it remains only to reset SMC.
Sequence of actions before resetting SMC
- Use the combination of “Command-Option-Sescape” buttons to force the operation of the “hung” application.
- Select the “dream” mode in the Apple menu and activate it. Wait a while (10-15 minutes), then remove the macbook from the “dream” mode.
- Reload the computer with the corresponding option of the main menu.
- Turn off the computer from the main menu.
- When you turn on a macbook of 10 seconds, do not release the power button.
Power supply (charger) and battery
If in the process of using the computer there are malfunctions in the operation of the apparatus due to the defects of the power supply or battery:
- Disable the power supply adapter from MacBook for a while (5.15 minutes) and then connect again.
- Extract the battery from the installation compartment for a while and then insert again.
- Reload the computer in each individual case of power outlet.
Perhaps extracting the battery of MacBook for a short time will help to eliminate the problem
Only after the production of all these actions in this sequence is permissible to proceed to the process of resetting SMC settings, when not one of the steps led to the correction of the problem.
How to Reset SMC, NVRAM or PRAM and restart Mac in Safe Mode?
System discharge indicators
Indicators show that SMC needs to be discharged allow you to determine the condition and take appropriate actions. Below is the symptoms of technology, as a rule, indicating the need to perform the discharge operation. Usually, after performing this kind of event, the work of a computer system is returned to normal.
It is not necessary to disassemble the computer housing to reset the SMC settings
The following symptoms usually indicate the need to reset SMC:
- Cool fans spin at high speed, but at the same time the load parameters of the computer are kept at the minimum level and the processor does not require intense cooling.
- Incorrect operation of the keyboard backlight system is observed.
- The indications of the SIL state indicator are incorrect.
- The indications of the battery charge indicator are incorrect.
- There is no reaction of the display backlight to changes in the level of external lighting.
- There is no computer reaction after pressing the power button.
- Closing and opening the display panel do not give any effect.
- McBuk involuntarily goes into the Sleep mode or turns off for no reason.
- There is no sufficient battery charge.
- The adapter power indicator shows inaccurately.
- The computer’s work is extremely slow, despite the small load.
- The effect of “jumping” of the desktop icons is observed for a long time after starting the computer.
- There is no launch of applications or there are, but they do not perform their functions.
- The operating mode of the external display is not included, if it is supported.fifteen. No activation of backlighting input and output ports.
SMC installations in macbooks
To reset the system settings, it is enough to use a certain key combination
First of all, you need to determine the configuration of the battery installation in the device. There are two configuration options: the battery is removable and mounted in the case. If the battery dismantling is supported, then:
- Turn off the charging module, remove the battery.
- Activate and hold 5 seconds MacBook.
- Connect the battery and start the device.
If the battery is built into the case
- Disconnect the computer.
- Connect MacBook via magsafe or by means of USB-C with an external power source.
- On the built-in keyboard (left), activate at the same time and keep the “Shift-Control-Option” button in the pressed state pressed at least 10 seconds.
- Turn MacBook with the standard method.
Reset on IMAC, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, XSERVE
Combinations of keys on computers MAS for different discharge options
The system parameters of the marked computers to the values set by default should be dropped in the following sequence:
- Turn on the computer through a standard power supply.
- 3-5 minutes after turning on, pull the fork of the power supply from the outlet.
- After 15-20 seconds, connect the fork of the power supply cord to the supply network again.
- Wait 5-10 seconds and turn on the macbook in the usual way-button.
For computers XSERVE (CPU Intel): The power is turned off is activated by the power button and holding it for 5-7 seconds.
Reinstalling the system
Complete MacBook rebooting is possible only when reinstalling the system. This procedure has several options: reinstall the current version, install the MacOS with which the laptop was delivered, install the latest version of the operating system available to your model. In the process, you can also save data from the internal disk or delete it, formatting. the latter will come in handy if you plan to sell your MacBook. We examined all available MacOS reinstalls in a separate article, so contact it to obtain detailed instructions.
What to do if the reset of settings does not work
In some cases, it is impossible to reset the settings. the computer simply does not respond to the user actions. There can be many reasons for this behavior, but most often this means problems with System Management Controller (SMC), a kind of BIOS analogue in IBM-compatible computers. You can solve this problem by dropping SMC. This procedure should also be performed in cases where the reinstallation of the operating system or the restoration of NVRAM is incorrect.
The procedure is different for MacBook with removable and non.removable batteries. The last category includes all MacBook devices released since 2015, as well as some old MacBook Pro.
SMC reset on devices with fixed batteries
- Turn off the device if it is turned on.
- At the same time, press the SHIFT CTRL Option button and hold for 10 seconds.
How To Fix Your Mac By Resetting The NVRAM, SMC & PRAM!
Attention! Press only those keys that are on the left side of the built.in laptop keyboard!
MacBook recovery with a removable battery
- Turn off the device if you have not done this before, then disconnect the power cord and remove the battery.
- Press and hold the power button 5-10 seconds.
- Reinstall the battery and try to turn on the device. everything should work without problems.
Even if the reset of SMC has not eliminated the problem, the reason lies in the hardware, and you can not do without visiting the service center.