Linksys Smart Wifi Setup
Who among system administrators does not know about Cisco? After all, this is one of the largest companies that specializes in high technology. At the initial stage of its journey, and this was almost 30 years ago, Cisco Systems was engaged only in routers and is now the leader in the professional segment of network technologies. However, this company was not enough and for about 10 years Cisco has been offering networking products for the home and small business under the Linksys brand. Let’s take a closer look at the company’s products using the example of a Linksys WRT54GL router, the configuration and capabilities of which will be described later.
After unpacking the box with the router, you will find the necessary power supply, network cable and CD. All this is needed right now. After performing simple manipulations, we connect the device to the power supply and connect it to the computer using a network cable. Next, resort to the help of a CD, which we put in the drive.
The launched installation wizard will correct the network settings of the computer. Following the prompts, even without outstanding knowledge of the English language, you can easily figure it out, so let’s take a closer look at the Linksys WRT54GL web interface.
To enter the interface, you need to go to the address 192.168.1.1, it is advisable to do this by first setting the subnet mask values on your computer 255.255.255.0. Authorization takes place only with the password, which is admin by default.
The first tab “Setup” allows you to perform basic configuration of the router. The tab “Basic Setup” provides a choice of several connection options, among which you need to find the type of connection used by your provider. The next thing to do is let the router use your MAC address when connecting to the provider. To do this, go to the “MAC Adress Clone” tab.
Configure Access Point
Go to the “Wireless” tab to configure the wireless network. The “Basic Wireless Settings” tab provides the basic settings:
- Wireless Network Mode. selection of the Wi-Fi network operating mode (select the mode supported by all your wireless devices or mixed (Mixed);
- SSID. enter the required network name;
- Wireless Channel. select a frequency channel (you should be guided by the Wi-Fi networks operating near you, since some channels may intersect and interfere with each other);
- SSID Broadcast. an option, when disabled, to connect to the network, you will need to manually specify its SSID.
The next tab of the Linksys WRT54GL web interface. “Wireless Security”. allows you to manage encryption settings, among which WPA2 / WPA and WEP are available. Encryption helps protect your network.
The “Management” tab allows you to make changes to the password and password for the web interface. There is also a tab “Factory Defaults”, which provides a reset, and “Firmware Upgrade”. for updating the firmware.
Linksys WRT54GL DD-WRT firmware, which is a reduced version of the Linux kernel operating system, can be used to expand the capabilities of the router. Initially, you should flash the device from the web interface with the versions of “MICRO or MINI build” and only after that it will be possible to install the standard VOIP or VPN version.
The sequence of actions for flashing through the web interface:
- Download the firmware version corresponding to the device from the DD-WRT project site;
- In the “Administration” interface tab, go to the “Firmware Upgrade” tab;
- Click “Browse” and select the file with the firmware (bin extension);
- Reset the router using the Reset button. If after restarting the device refuses to function, then the help of specialists from the service center is needed.
- The firmware process takes some time. During the firmware, you cannot turn off the power and interrupt the process. At the end, Linksys WRT54GL will inform you that the installation is complete. The new login for accessing the web-based interface is root, the password remains the same.
If necessary, return to the standard firmware, you can download it from the link
The DD-WRT firmware carries many additional features, among which there is a more detailed configuration Linksys WRT54GL. With this firmware, you can easily configure IP-TV. To view it in the router settings, you need to activate the Multicast function (traffic transit).
We go into the web-interface on the “Securiry” tab, the “Firewall” tab and look for the item “Filter Multicast”. You need to uncheck it and after saving the settings, with a sufficient connection speed, IP-TV should work. However, it is worth noting that for a full-screen display, only a wired connection is suitable, while a wireless network is not able to cope with such a task.
How to find the right MTU size
Optimal size MTU for Triolan network is 1500 bytes, however, one of the simplest and most accurate ways to determine the optimal MTU size is the MTU ping test.
The command for this ping test is www. tp. link. com. f. l xxxx
- When testing, you can use a well-known domain ping www. google. com. f. l xxxx instead of www. tp. link. com
- There is a space between each team
- “- l “. lowercase letter L, not the number one.
- last four digits. test packet size
Open the DOS dialog box by clicking StartPrograms MSDOS PROMPT. You can also use the Run command by clicking StartRun then type ” cmd “if you are using Windows 2000 / XP / Vista, or ” command ” on Windows 95/98 / ME.
In the DOS dialog box, type ping www. google. com. f. l 1500 and press Enter. Keep in mind that the packet must be fragmented.
Reduce the size of the test packet (10 or 12 bytes), send the request again. Keep in mind that the packet must be fragmented again.
Reduce the size of the test packet again, send the request, so until the size of the packet to be sent will need to be fragmented
As soon as you send a packet that will not be fragmented, increase the packet size a bit and resubmit the request, this way you can find the maximum packet size that will not be fragmented.
Take the maximum packet size that you calculated during testing, add 28. You add 28 bytes because 20 bytes are reserved for the IP header and 8 bytes are allocated for the ICMP Echo Request header. Remember: You must add 28 to your ping test result!
1472. the maximum packet size in the ping test
28. IP and ICMP headers
1500. the optimal size of your MTU