Lenovo ThinkPad how to go to BIOS. When a simple path is “closed”
How to go to BIOS (BIOS) on the Lenovo laptop (Lenovo)
Before answering the question of how to enter the BIOS on the Lenovo laptop, you should talk about what BIOS is. This is the main basic structure of the system of any device. BIOS is a special set of micro.programs that allow you to carry out the operation of devices and equipment connected to the computer.
In itself, a term such as BIOS is used relative to those devices that are compatible with IBM computers.
The BIOS integration, as a rule, is a kind of text table, the navigation on which is feasible using the keyboard keys. Bios setting almost any devices allows you to set the frequency of operation of hardware components connected to the personal computer, as well as their operation parameters, change the configuration of the energy regime, inclusion procedure and much more. Among other things, it allows you to choose the source of loading the operating system, as well as the OS itself if there are several at once.
Almost any user of a modern PC or laptop may face the need to enter BIOS. This may be required to configure any specific parameters, in order to diagnose devices connected to the computer or to turn on (disconnect) of various hardware components. Mostly learning to open and enter BIOS is not at all difficult, but some users may have a problem with the fact that BIOS simply refuses to turn on with standard, familiar methods on the laptop. What to do in such a situation?
The thing is that on some models of laptops, for example, from Lenovo, the entrance to the BIOS panel is not entirely standard, which we will talk about in this article. After reading it to the end, you can easily open the BIOS on any laptop, including the Lenovo company, and even learn how to install BIOS on your own again.
BIOS entry options on Lenovo laptop
An ordinary user rarely needs to go to BIOS, but if, for example, it is required to update Windows or make any specific settings, then you have to enter it. This process in Lenovo laptops may vary depending on the model and release date.
We enter the BIOS on Lenovo
There are a special button on the newest laptops from Lenovo, which allows you to launch BIOS when rebooting. It is located near the power button and has a note in the form of an icon with an arrow. The exception is the IDEAPAD 100 or 110 laptop and similar state employees from this line, since they have this button on the left end. As a rule, if there is one on the case, then it should be used to enter BIOS. After you click on it, a special menu will appear where you need to select “BIOS Setup”.
If for some reason there is no this button on the laptop case, then use these keys and their combinations for models of different lines and episodes:
- Yoga. Despite the fact that the company produces many different and dissimilar laptops under this trademark, on most of them, either F2 or a combination of FNF2 is used for the entrance. On more or less new models there is a special button for entering;
- Ideapad. This line mainly includes modern models equipped with a special button, but if it wasn’t or it has failed, then F8 or Delete can be used as an alternative to entering BIOS.
- For budget devices for the type of laptops-B590, G500, B50-10 and G50-30 only a FNF2 keys combination is suitable.
However, some laptops have other entry keys that are different from those in the list above. In this case, you have to use all the keys. from F2 to F12 or Delete. Sometimes they can be combined with Shift or FN. Which key/combination should be used depends on many parameters. laptop model, serial modification, equipment, etc.D.
The necessary key can be found in the documentation for the laptop or on the official website of Lenovo, driving in the search your model and finding basic technical information for it.
It is worth remembering that the most running keys for entering BIOS on almost all devices are F2, F8, Delete, and the most rare ones are F4, F5, F10, F11, F12, ESC. During the reboot, you can try to put on several keys (not at the same time!). It also happens that when loading on the screen, the inscription with the following M “Please Use (the desired key) to enter setup” does not last long, use this key to input to enter.
Entering BIOS on Lenovo laptops is quite simple, even if you did not succeed on the first attempt, then most likely you will do it from the second. All “incorrect” keys are ignored by a laptop, so you do not risk your mistake to break something in his work.
Auxiliary button Novo
NOVO button is not on all laptop models, so you will need to try to find it. She launches Novo Button Menu, but we will not rush and let’s try to find her. It is two types.
- The first view is a regular button with the image of a curved arrow or inscription (novo). She is usually a radical laptop. Just clamp it when rebooting or turning on a computer.
- The second type. the button is drowned and has the appearance of a small hole. In order to click on it, you will need something thin, for example, a needle or a clip. Here you have to look for it, as it can be anywhere. As a rule, developers install it next to the input for the power supply.
As soon as “novo-Menu” starts, just select “BIOS SETUP” from the list. If you need to load from a specific carrier, then select “Boot Menu”.
Launch via Windows
This method works only with new versions of Windows (8/8.1/10/11). Our task is to launch an additional menu for the recovery of the system where there is a BIOS or UEFI launch tool.
- On the left we find the “Restoration” subsection and in the right block in the “Special load options” section, click on the restart button. pedantic guys can read what is written and scared that we need a loading flash drive or disk. I hasten to reassure. this does not need to.
- In the action menu, we go to the point “Search and elimination of malfunctions”. In earlier versions of Windows, the item can be called as “diagnostics”.
If the owner of the Lenovo laptop is partial amateur, he can enter the BIOS, partially dismantling the case of the device and for a few seconds by pulling a round battery from the motherboard. and then set it in place.
As a result, there will be a slight systemic failure, and with a high degree of probability, when subsequently, the laptop is automatically loaded into the BIOS mode, without even asking for the permission of the owner.
To go to the BIOS on the Lenovo laptop, you need to use the FN F2 key combination (less often. F1 or just Delete). Other options are pressing the Novo button, access to the “built.in software” or holding when reloading Shift key. Finally, the owner can extract from the motherboard, and then reinstall the supply battery in place. of course, the laptop is better off before that.
Recently, some Lenovo users have set the problem “how to enter the BIOS” on the Internet to seek help. As you know, BIOS (basic input / output system) is an energy.dependent firmware used to perform the initialization of equipment during the launch process. Users can easily configure computer parameters, view information about equipment configuration in BIOS. So, how to enter the BIOS on Lenovo laptops, such as Lenovo Ideapad 320, Lenovo Ideapad 310, Lenovo Ideapad 300, Lenovo G50, Lenovo Yoga and Lenovo ThinkPad? Here are a few recommended ways.
Lenovo laptop owners of the ThinkPad line, as well as some other models, can go to the BIOS without using the key combinations. just apply a special Novo button located next to the power button or at the device end of the device.
Lenovo ThinkPad E470 Bios And USB Boot Error || Solved
Having turned off the Lenovo laptop, you should press on Novo and hold it for a few seconds; Having chosen the BIOS Setup item in the window that has appeared, the user will finally go to BIOS-and continue to work in the base system of input and output.
Tip: Sometimes instead of the Novo button on the device case is a special hole, near which the same icon is placed. In this case, you can open the BIOS menu by inserting a special paper clip in the connector for an iPhone or smartphone or ordinary stationery and slightly pressing contact for two to three seconds.
By holding and holding this key (no matter, right or left) and holding it during a reboot, you can go to BIOS on Windows 10. in particular, on some models of lanovo laptops. The method works quite rarely, however, it is not worth neglecting it. at least because, by holding Shift, you will not have to rush with key combinations.
To enter the BIOS on Lenovo laptops under the control of “Eights” or “Dozens”, you can use the built.in Windows option:
- In the section “Special loading parameters” click on the “Reloading now” button. It is important to remember: the process will begin immediately and without additional requests, and therefore, before clicking, it is necessary to close open documents, save the changes made to the system and take other precautions.
Important: although the theoretically indicated algorithm should launch UEFI, on lanovo laptops by default, it is BIOS for the initial load. In addition, even if the owner finds himself in an “expanded integration”, he will be able to fulfill all his tasks in it, bypassing the basic input-output system.
Hardware reset of settings (only for experienced users)
Since the entrance to the user integration is impossible, the settings are resetled by manual (hardware) in the way, which can be done as follows:
- Turn off the laptop, turn off the power cord and remove the battery.
- Remove all the small removable lids in the back of the laptop body, under which there are RAM planks, hard drive, network Wi-Fi card and other devices.
- Carefully inspect the entire area under the lids removed and find, t.n. BIOS Battery, which has the following view:
- If next to removable devices (hard disk, RAM, etc.D.) the battery cannot be found, perhaps it is located under them. Remove the electronic components and inspect the area under them.
- If there are no batteries under them, remove the entire back cover of the case.
- Depending on the design of a particular model of the Lenovo laptop, the BIOS-battery can be located in the area under the keyboard.
- In all other cases, the laptop will have to be disassembled fully.
- As soon as the battery is found, remove it from the nest.
- Wait for about 30 seconds and install the BIOS Battery in your place.
- BIOS/UEFI settings will be reset.
Over time, the BIOS and UEFI micro.opram are finalized by manufacturers. If the operating system has never been reinstalled on the laptop and/or the Lenovo system applications were not removed, then when the updated version is released on the screen, the corresponding message is displayed or the update is performed in automatic mode. If for some reason this did not happen, BIOS and UEFI can be updated on your own.
- Press the “Winr” keys at the same time.
- Enter the “cmd” in the opening window and click OK “.
- The command line will open.
- Enter the command in the window. “WMIC BIOS Get Smbiosbiosversion”, and then press the input key. The following will happen:
- The inscription “Smbiosbiosversion” will present the current version of BIOS. Write down or remember it.
- Go to the Lenovo. Support support site.Lenovo.com.
- In the search line “Find your product”, enter a laptop model. For example. “T460”.
- On the page of the laptop, find the “Best Loadings” section, and then click on the item nearby. “View All”.
- The page will display a list of categories of devices for which updates are available.
- Find the section “BIOS” or “BIOS/UEFI” and click on it.
- There may be several points in the section. Find “BIOS Update Utility for Windows”.
- Opposite the item will be displayed the latest version of BIOS/UEFI.
- If it is higher or corresponds to the one that was obtained by the execution of the corresponding command line command, click on the BIOS Update Utility for Windows, and then click on the download button.
- A file in the form “xxx.exe “, where instead of” xxx “a set of characters will be indicated.
- Launch the installer and select the “Install” item.
- At the end of the unpacking, a new window will open, in which you should press the “Flash BIOS” button.
- Press the OK button to start the BIOS/UEFI update process.
- After rebooting, try to enter the BIOS/UEFI user integration one of the ways given at the beginning of this article.
When installing the same BIOS version that was already on the computer, settings will be reserved.
Button on the case. “Novo button
Most Lenovo laptops models are equipped with a special button on the “Novo button” housing. It can be located on the side or on the front panel next to the power button. It is usually marked with an icon in the form of a curved arrow.
To go to the BIOS on the Lenovo laptop using a button, click on Novo Button on the device off instead. The laptop will start, and a window with a small service menu will be displayed on the screen. Using the arrows on the keyboard, select the BIOS Setup item and click on the Enter key. After that, the entrance to the base input-output system will be reached.
In modern models, the Novo Button button is hidden in a small hole. Usually it is located on the side and marked with the same icon. an arrow similar to an inverted letter U. For example, on the Lenovo IDEAPAD 320-15SK laptop, the hole is located on the left near the USB ports. To go to BIOS, you will need to use a paper clip or needle. Connecting the button avoids random pressing.
Some devices from Lenovo are equipped with a blue button called “Thinkwantage”. With its help, the loading menu of the laptop opens. “Thinkwantage” will need to be clicked immediately after launching the copueter, when the Lenovo logo appears on the screen. In the displayed menu there will be a hint, which keys should be pressed to call certain functions. In most cases to enter BIOS, this is a F1 button.
Special keyboard keys
Depending on the model of the Lenovo laptop, the entrance to BIOS can be carried out by various keys. F1. F2 and others. For example, in B560 only the F2 key works. It is enough to turn on the device, wait for the loading window and press the desired button on the keyboard. As a rule, in a welcoming window, a hint is displayed below.
FN F2 combination can also work. To use it, turn on the laptop and in the initial phase of the system loading, hold the FN key. Then, not letting it go on F2. After that, the main BIOS window will open.
How to go to BIOS on Lenovo laptop
Lenovo is one of the most popular laptop manufacturers. By the way, I must tell you (from personal experience), laptops are quite good and reliable. And there is one feature of some models of these laptops. an unusual entrance to BIOS (and it is often necessary to enter it, for example, for Windows reinstalling).
In this relatively small article, I would like to consider these features of the entrance.
Entrance to the BIOS on the Lenovo laptop (step.by.step instructions)
1) Usually, to enter the BIOS on Lenovo laptops (on most models), it is enough to press the F2 button (or FNF2) when it is turned on.
However, some models may not react at all to these presses (for example, Lenovo Z50, Lenovo G50, and in general, the model range: G505, V580C, B50, B560, B590, G50, G505S, G570, G570E, G580, G700. Z500, Z580 may not respond to these keys).
2) the above models on the side panel (usually next to the power cable) have a special button (for example, the Lenovo G50 cm model. rice. 2).
To go to BIOS you need: turn off the laptop, and then press this button (the arrow is usually drawn on it, although I admit that there may not be arrow on some models).
By the way, an important point. Not all models of Lenovo laptops, this service button is located on the side. For example, on the Lenovo G480 laptop. this button is next to the laptop button (see. rice. 2.one).
3) If everything is done correctly, then the laptop should turn on and the service menu with four points appears on the screen (see. rice. 3):
To enter the BIOS. select BIOS Setup (installations and settings of BIOS).
4) Next should appear the most ordinary BIOS menu. Then you can configure BIOS similarly to other models of laptops (the settings are almost identical).
By the way, maybe someone will need to: in rice. 4 shows the Lenovo G480 BOOT section Section for installing Windows 7:
- Boot Mode: [Legacy Support]
- Boot Priority: [Legacy First]
- Usb boot: [enabled]
- Boot Device Priority: PLDS DVD RW (this is a drive with Windows 7 loading disk, note that it is the first on this list), Internet HDD.
After changing all the settings, do not forget to save them. To do this, in the Exit section, select “Save and Exit” (save and exit). After rebooting the laptop. the installation of Windows 7 should begin.
5) there are certain models of laptops, such as Lenovo B590 and V580C, where the F12 button may need to enter the BIOS. Holding this key immediately after turning on the laptop-you can get to Quick Boot (fast menu)-where easily change the download procedure for various devices (HDD, CD-ROM, USB).
6) and the F1 key is very rarely used. You may need it if you use the Lenovo B590 laptop. The key must be pressed and kept after turning on the device. The BIOS menu itself is not much different from the standard.
The manufacturer recommends that the laptop battery is enough before entering BIOS. If in the process of setting up and installing the parameters in the BIOS the device is emergency turned off (due to a lack of power), maybe problems in the further operation of the laptop.
Honestly, it’s not ready to comment on the latest recommendation: I never experienced problems when turning off the PC when I was in the BIOS settings.
BIOS settings on Lenovo laptop
As mentioned above, BIOS and its settings are stored in the CMOS chip on the motherboard. For its power, batteries of the CR2032 type are used. a large flat “tablet”. She nourishes the CMOS chip, even if the laptop is completely de.energized. To reset the bios settings, it is enough to extract this power element for a few seconds. It sounds simple, but in fact it will be necessary to disassemble half the laptop, dismantling the lower cover and some components.
How To Get Into BIOS And Enable UEFI USB Boot On Lenovo ThinkPad L14 | Enable TPM 2.0
In most cases, you need to do the following:
- Remove the plastic gasket between the keyboard buttons.
- Dismantle the keyboard itself and turn off its train from the motherboard.
- Remove the battery.
- Unscrew the screws and remove the lower cover.
- Remove the optical drive by unscrewing the fixing screw.
In most models of laptops, this is enough. Some may have a steel protective plate under the lower lid. As a result, you need to get to the battery and pull it out of the holder for a few seconds. After this, the BIOS settings will be reset, but it will be possible to go there already.
An alternative setting option. to find a jamper next to the battery. This is a 3-pin switch in which in the normal state the jumper is thrown on the 1st and 2nd contacts. If you rearrange it on the 2nd and 3rd, the bios settings will also be resurrected. We’ll have to reconfigure everything again, but this is easier than to reflash the laptop.
For a new laptop model, a more fresh BIOS version can be released over time. When installing it, the device can work better, however. the procedure is associated with a certain risk. If the CMOS chip is incorrectly flashed, it can be completely “killing” it, and then only a complete replacement with a system of the system fee will help.
To prevent this from happening, it is better to harness the reflection of the bios to professionals. Contact the Lenovo service center: it will cost cheaper than then repair an expensive system fee.
Hi, my name is Vladimir! I have been engaged in programming from grade 7. That is why I have such a big background behind me. I like to lead my blog and explain to beginners complex things in simple words. Add to bookmarks and Keep in Touch;)