Laptop power supply does not work
Failure after updating Windows
If the problem with charging occurred after reinstalling or upgrading your Windows system, then most likely you are missing the original chipset drivers and power management from the manufacturer.
And the device manager itself may show the presence of installed drivers without updates for them.
In this case, go to the official website of the manufacturer of your device, download and install the drivers for your laptop model.
To orient you? I give below their names:
There are also other system drivers. And also the software (Power Manage or for Lenovo and HP laptops. Energy Management).
Any diagnosis should begin with an external inspection of the device, which will help to find or rule out mechanical damage, Violation of the integrity of the PSU indicates that the time to replace the device, even if its work does not have any complaints. The cable from the unit should also be inspected.
Cracks in it and bare cords are not only dangerous for the notebook, but also for the life of the user.
Detailed inspection is necessarily subject to and the plug, which should be firmly held in the socket, otherwise the contacts will not contact properly, which will undoubtedly affect the charging. The current will either be transmitted intermittently or will not pass at all.
It is important to remember that damage to any part of the charger is a serious reason to replace it immediately. Delay can cost your laptop and sometimes life.
Check the environment
If the laptop for some reason no longer charges or does not turn on, do not rush to despair and carry the laptop to the service.
- Whether there is voltage in the mains. It often happens that the lights are out or the voltage level is not enough to charge the laptop. To do this, simply turn on the light in the room;
- Check whether the socket, in which the adapter is plugged in works. plug in an appliance that is definitely working (a tablet, hair dryer, or cell phone).
- Another option. turn on the laptop in another, certainly working, socket. For example, where the TV is usually turned on.
If all of the above is fine, but the laptop does not charge, go on to a serious inspection of the power supply.
What to do if your laptop battery doesn’t work
What you can do yourself if your laptop does not work with the battery
You can buy a new one with inspection, warranty and return. But there is a danger of too many reconditioned batteries on the market under the guise of new.
If the charger fails, you can buy a new one yourself with a check. But there are pitfalls, too. There may be problems with compatible products. For example, touchpad and keyboard don’t work properly, switching transistors on the motherboard get burnt out. And also. On sale a lot of compatible cheap adapters made to look like the original. These fakes do not really provide the required power parameters.
The remaining items (repair of the charge controller circuit and the power socket) must be done only in the service center.
Laptop power supply malfunctions: a specialist’s view
Buying a laptop, everyone expects the device to last at least a few years. Unfortunately, expectations are not always met. Breakdown of the charger becomes an unpleasant surprise. The question immediately arises: what to do with it? Batterion experts know all about power supply failures. They are sure: the most reliable device can fail. First step to solving the problem: Proper diagnostic of adapter problems. We were told what malfunctions are most common and how to avoid trouble with charging the laptop in the future.
Laptop power supply: the most common problems with the adapter
Despite the daily strain that falls on the power adapter, the manufacturers expect that this device can last as long as a laptop. But reality is different from the laboratory conditions in which computer equipment is tested.
The most common causes of adapter failures: careless handling and power surges. Sometimes it is possible to get by “with little blood”, in more serious cases the adapter must be replaced.
Here are the main types of power supply damage:
- Power supply unit broke down.That is the “stuffing” of the black plastic box. the heart of the adapter. Smoke, a specific smell of burnt plastic and electricity, deformation of the case. the main “symptoms” of a burned adapter. The main reason: a sharp increase in voltage in the mains. In such a case, the power supply unit “dies” heroically: it burns itself out, but saves the laptop.Another option: the charger is disconnected when you plug it in and put the load on. Do not use a broken device: it can cause a short circuit and damage the laptop. The experts are unanimous in their opinion: to repair such an adapter is just a waste of money and time. It is easier and often cheaper to buy a new power adapter. You don’t even have to go anywhere. batterion.ru/power-supply.
- The cable is damaged. Less serious, but more frequent damage. Typical causes are rough handling. It turns out that in a typical apartment or office there are many dangers for the charger. Heavy furniture, sharp canine, cat’s teeth and claws, hitting the floor causes the wire to tear or become trapped. The smart guys may try to solder the broken pins, but most people find it easier to buy a new cable. This part of the charger is easy to find online or at a computer store. When buying pay attention to the type of connection of the cord to the power supply: 2-pin or 3-pin.
- The notebook connector or plug is broken.The connector normally fits snugly into the laptop’s special opening. Damage is indicated by the following: the connector is cracked or “hanging out” in the socket of the laptop, constantly falling out, exposed wires. Defects can be seen when examining the notebook connector. Breakages are more common at the connection to the computer, because the cable on this side of the power supply is thinner, and it is easier to damage it. A classic example: we carried the laptop on the charger in another room, the cable stretched, and “where it is thin, there and breaks”.
The power connector has broken. take the laptop to the service, it is necessary to disassemble the device and change the part. With a defective plug it is necessary to tinker too: at first to open the case of the power supply unit and to connect a new wire. It is clear that this should be done by professionals. No desire to waste time on repairs and trips to service centers. buy a new adapter. On the site of the store batterion.You can pick up quality accessories for any model of laptops.
Power adapter for your laptop: the correct use
You have defined the problem, eliminated and the power supply unit (repaired or new) is ready to charge your laptop. To ensure that your Samsung adapter lasts as long as possible, keep a few rules in mind for the future:
- keep the charger away from small children and pets;
- Do not cover the adapter with a pile of papers, magazines, clothes. this threatens overheating during charging;
- Connect only the right zadadku to your laptop: “accidental connections” are fraught with a broken connector and a burned motherboard;
- forget about having tea (coffee, soda) near your mains-connected laptop;
- “refueled” the laptop. immediately unplug the device from the power supply;
- do not charge the laptop during a thunderstorm or repair work in the neighboring apartment: there is a great risk of a power surge.
We hope that this article will help you solve all your problems with the power supply and prolong the life of this important part. Go to!
Converting a laptop PSU into a regulated one
Power supply. is a device that serves to convert (decrease or increase) the AC mains voltage into a specified DC voltage. Power supplies are divided into: transformer and switching power supplies. Originally there were only transformer designs of power supplies. They consisted of a power transformer powered by a 220V, 50Hz household mains and a rectifier with a filter, a voltage regulator. Thanks to the transformer, the mains voltage is lowered to the necessary values, followed by rectification by a rectifier consisting of diodes connected in a bridge circuit. After rectification the DC pulsating voltage is smoothed by a parallel connected capacitor. If accurate voltage regulation is necessary, transistor voltage regulators are used.
The main drawback of a transformer power supply. is the transformer. Why so? All because of the weight and size, as they limit the compactness of the power supply, while their price is quite high. But these power supplies are simple in design and this is an advantage. But still in most modern devices the use of transformer power supplies, has become irrelevant. They have been replaced by switching-mode power supplies.
Switch mode power supplies include:
1) mains filter, (input choke, electromechanical filter providing noise rejection, mains fuse);
2) Rectifier and smoothing filter (diode bridge, storage capacitor);
5) Output rectifier (rectifier diodes in half bridge circuit);
6) output filter (filter capacitors, power chokes);
7) Inverter control box (PWM controller with strapping)
The pulse power supply provides stabilized voltage by using feedback. It works like this. The mains voltage is fed to the rectifier and the smoothing filter, where the mains voltage is rectified and the ripple is smoothed out by using capacitors. An amplitude of about 300 volts is tolerated. The next step is to connect the inverter. Its task. Forming rectangular high-frequency signals for the transformer. The inverter is communicated via the control unit. From the output of the transformer, the high-frequency pulses go to the output rectifier. Because the pulse frequency is on the order of 100 kHz, fast Schottke semiconductor diodes must be used. In the final phase is smoothing the voltage on the filter capacitor and choke. And only after that the voltage of the set value is applied to the load. Enough theory, let’s move on to practice and begin to make the power supply.
Every hobbyist, who is engaged in radio electronics, wishing to design their own devices often faces the problem of where to get the case. This problem also struck me, which in turn suggested why not make the case with my own hands. And then my search started. Searching for an off-the-shelf solution to make the enclosure came to nothing. But I was not discouraged. After thinking for a while, I had an idea: why not make a case from a plastic box for laying wires. The dimensions of it suited me, so I started cutting and gluing. See the pictures below.
The dimensions of the box were chosen based on the size of the power supply card. See the picture below.
Also in the box should be placed still indicator, wire, regulator and power connector. See figure below.
To install the above items, the necessary holes were cut into the enclosure. See the pictures above. Finally, to make the power supply aesthetically pleasing, it has been painted black. Looking at the pictures below.
I want to say right away that I didn’t have to look for a meter for a long time. I chose digital voltmeter TK1382 at once. See pictures below.
Measurement ranges of the device are for voltages 0-100V and currents up to 10A. There are also two calibration resistors for adjusting the voltage and current. View image below.
As for the wiring diagram, it has some nuances. See pictures below.
To measure the current and voltage we will use the following diagram. 2, see the pictures above. And so in order. For the power supply I have a laptop first find the circuit diagram. The search should be done with the PWM controller. In this power supply it is CR6842S. See schematic below.
Now let’s talk about the modification. Since we are going to make a regulated power supply, we have to redo the circuit. To do this, let’s make changes to the circuit, these areas are circled in orange. See figure below.
Circuit part 1,2 supplies power to the PWM controller. And what a parametric stabilizer is. The regulator voltage of 17.1V is chosen due to the peculiarities of the PWM controller. In this case to supply the PWM controller we set current through the regulator to about 6 mA. “The peculiarity of this controller is that you need more than 16,4 V supply voltage and 4 mA current to turn it on”. excerpt from datasheet. In this redesign of the power supply it is necessary to abandon the self-supply winding, as its use is not reasonable at low output voltages. In the figure below you can see this part after modification.
Circuit section 3 provides voltage regulation, with the given nominal values of elements regulation is in the range of 4.5-24.5 V. To do this, you need to unsolder the resistors marked in orange in the figure below and in their place solder a variable resistor to regulate the voltage.
Dead laptop no power not charging? You can fix it!
This is the end of the modification. And you can make a test run. IMPORTANT. Due to the fact that the power supply is powered from 220 V, you must be careful to avoid getting under the influence of the mains! This is DANGEROUS FOR LIFE. Before the first start of the power supply you must check the correctness of installation of all elements, and then perform the inclusion in the 220 V mains, through a light bulb 220 V, 40 W to avoid damage to the power elements of the power supply. The first start can be seen in the figure below.
Also after the first start-up check the upper and lower voltage regulation limits. And as intended, they lie within the specified range of 4.5-24.5 V. See pictures below.
And finally, when tested with a load of 2.5 A the case began to heat well, which I was not satisfied and I decided to make a peoration in the case to cool. The place for peoration chose on the basis of the place of the greatest heat. To peorate the case made 9 holes with a diameter of 3 mm. See the picture below.
To prevent accidental ingestion of conductive elements, a safety flap is glued on the back side of the cover at a small distance. See image below.
That’s all, as a result is made adjustable power supply from the charger from the laptop. You can see more photos below.
How to check the laptop for wear and tear in the absence of charging
Old batteries often do not show full charge or do not charge at all. It happens when the resource of charging / discharging is depleted, improper use of laptop, which led to a loss of battery capacity.
The reason is the wear and tear of the battery, so you will have to check the condition of the element, do it this way:
- Start the laptop in operation. Open the command line (under the Start button).
- Write in the empty field powercfg energy. Then press the Enter button.
- Wait for a response and look at the detailed report.
In the report, check the estimated battery capacity, track the time of the last full charge. If the difference between the indicators is large, it indicates a high degree of battery wear, the element will have to be replaced. The procedure is performed in the service, it is not expensive, but it all depends on the laptop model and the availability of components.
Laptop charging problems
What are the problems of laptop charging and why cheap laptop power supplies are not worth buying?
Ever wonder why fake and compatible power supplies for laptops are so cheap and work so little and so badly?
The problems with many fake power supplies:
- Most importantly, they do not hold the declared power
- Secondly, the touchpad does not work well
- In thirds, the keyboard doesn’t work well
- In addition, unreliable power connector
- Fifth, there are breaks in the cable
- all this adds up to low reliability
Opening the case of the power supply
Before you begin to restore the power supply from the laptop, you need to properly dismantle it. Most models of chargers for laptops are available in a non-disassembled version. However, they can be disassembled if you act strictly according to the instructions.
The first option of disassembly
To perform such manipulations you need to prepare a syringe of medicine and fill it with gasoline. Next, you need to treat the seam of the power supply unit with this substance around the perimeter, wait 5-10 minutes and perform the same action.
After that, you should prepare a flat screwdriver and disconnect the elements of the housing. If unsuccessful, the procedure must be repeated.
Second disassembly option
According to feedback from many users, car fuel does not always allow you to dismantle the laptop PSU case without difficulty. The success of such an effect depends on the material of the case and the specifics of its connection.
If the surface is sealed, gasoline will be useless. To separate the two parts of the case, you need to take a knife and a hammer. To begin with, point the knife at the seam and gradually tap on its perimeter with a hammer.
Use the knife to separate the two covers of the PSU.
Using a hammer, you need to be careful not to damage the case and make a through hole. Don’t try to complete the procedure the first time with too much force. If the first attempts have not yielded positive results, you will have to repeat them.