Iphone Does Not Work Home Button
And get the best deals from trusted craftsmen.
- Compare and choose the best conditions.
- Feedback only from interested professionals
- Do not waste time communicating with intermediaries
The situation when the Home iPhone button does not work, is faced by many owners of apple technology. The Home key on Apple devices is made of glass, which is subject to various influences from the outside. Inaccurate handling of the device, its fall from a height will break the Home button on the iPhone. For some malfunctions, you can repair the button yourself.
Check key function
To make sure the Home button on your iPhone works or not, click it at least ten times in a row. If there is no reaction to at least a couple of keystrokes, then there is a malfunction that affects the performance of the key.
The main reasons for the failure of the Home key
The Home button may break completely or stop working periodically for a variety of reasons. Most often, the Home iPhone button does not work due to:
- Mechanical damage
- Moisture inside the Apple smartphone
- Software failure
If the Home button on the iPhone ceased to function, most likely, software or an application of inadequate quality was previously downloaded to the phone.
The Home button may break after a fall of the new Apple smartphone or strong pressure on it. There are also situations where the button may break, as a result of which it stops responding to pressing or begins to periodically slow down after moisture has entered the mechanism. In this situation, when you press the button, you will hear a creak indicating oxidation of the contacts.
Fortunately for many owners of apple gadgets, problems directly related to mechanical damage and fluid ingress are not so common. Most failures of the Home button appear due to a system failure. Because of it, the key does not work well, periodically slows down or completely loses its performance. In this case, the timing and cost of repairs will be insignificant.
How to reanimate a phone
If the Home button on your device works intermittently and does not always respond to clicks, do not get upset. If you find the root causes, you can use several methods that will return the Home button to its previous performance. These include the following:
- Relocate the keystroke connector
- Dry cleaning buttons
- Displaying the Home button on the main screen using a special program
How to calibrate when a key malfunctions
To check if the malfunction of the Home button on the iPhone is associated with a software failure, calibrate the key. To restore the functionality of the Home button on the iPhone, do the following:
- Activate any application on the iPhone, for example, Clock or Calculator
- Press and hold the Power button until the slider to turn off the device appears on the screen of your phone
- Release the Power key and press Home until the power off slider disappears
10 seconds after pressing the Home key, the system will calibrate the button. The malfunction after this procedure will be fixed if there was a software failure, and the Home button on the main screen on your device will work in the previous mode.
Features of adjusting the connector on the iPhone
If you own an iPhone 4 and 4S and encounter a malfunctioning button on your smartphone, do not rush to change it. You can correct the situation by changing the position of the connector. For this:
- Connect the cable that came with your device to the phone
- Push the plug in the place where it is inserted into the connector, simultaneously press and hold the Home key
Now disconnect the cable and check whether it was possible to eliminate the cause of the breakdown, and if the button worked. If the problem persists, you can use another way to restore the Home button to the main screen.
Chemical method for solving the problem
Often the cause of the malfunction of the Home button on the iPhone is the ingress of dirt and dust particles into it. This also happens after liquid, for example, sugary drinks, gets under the case of an old or new smartphone, or if the device is taken with dirty hands. An effective way to solve the problem in a short time in this case is to use chemical cleaners. It can be isopropyl alcohol or WD-40. To use this method of troubleshooting, perform several manipulations:
- Drip a small amount of funds on the Home button on the main screen
- Press and hold the key until the cleaner enters
- Check the performance of Home after the alcohol has completely evaporated
The chemical should be applied only to the key, and not to the screen. Careless handling of the cleaning agent can cause damage to other parts of the phone, resulting in an increase in the cost of repairing your Apple device.
Enable virtual button
The above steps allow you to determine the cause of the key malfunction and eliminate the breakdown. If your phone or its button was exposed to strong physical impact, it will not be possible to solve the problem by dry cleaning, calibration and adjustment. The way out will be the inclusion of a virtual button with its subsequent display on the screen of the iPhone smartphone.
To replace a failed key with a virtual one, you need to go to the settings, find the Assistive Touch section, and connect the function here. A new icon will appear on the screen. When you click on it, a special menu will open, in it you can control the old and new smartphone without the Home key. This method will help for any reason of failure.
Key repair or replacement
If the above measures did not help, and the last method does not suit you, and you want to fully use the functionality of the iPhone smartphone, contact a qualified wizard who will help repair or completely replace the failed key. The repair cost will be low if you order the service from specialists registered in Yuda. Cooperation with them will give you the following benefits:
- IPhone repair with a complete replacement of faulty elements (connector, cable) in the service center and at home
- Repairing phone failures of any complexity in a short time
- The use of professional equipment and original spare parts for the complete replacement of device parts
- Guarantees for all types of work performed
If the Home iPhone button does not work, contact specialists. The executors of Yudu will determine the cause of the phone failure as quickly as possible and will quickly fix the problem, while the cost of repairing the iPhone will be low.
Indeed, with what, and Apple has always been distinguished by the excellent quality of its products. And this applies not only to the iPhone, iPad and Mac computers, but also to the software products of iOS and OS X. However, even in the case of the iPhone and iPad, there are problems, most of which are associated with the failure of mechanical controls, most often the Home button. In today’s manual, we will answer the question: “What should I do if the Home button on my iPhone is broken?“.
Characteristic damage to the Home button
I am sure that almost all owners of the iPhone and iPad know that the Home button on iOS devices is made of glass. And like any fragile material, glass is vulnerable to mechanical stress. So, careless attitude, falling onto a hard surface, contact with sharp metal objects can lead to mechanical damage to the Home button. Fortunately, this happens quite rarely, and the main part of the Home button failures occurs precisely in software failures, when the Home button “sticks”, clicks, seizes, does not work well or does not work at all.
Reasons for the failure of the Home button on the iPhone and iPad
If we talk about the reasons why the Home button does not work on iOS devices or works with some lag (sticks), there are 2 reasons to highlight:
- Software crashes;
- Mechanical damage, contamination of the mechanism and the contact area.
The first category of reasons is “cured” quite simply, in the vast majority of cases, calibration of the Home button on the iPhone and iPad of the entire model range helps, be it iPhone 4, 5 or any other.
It is much more difficult to deal with mechanical problems, but you can still reanimate the Home button with your own hands.
Home Button Repair Methods
Suppose that the Home button on your iPhone sticks, sometimes sticks, sometimes you need to press this control several times to make the device respond. What methods can restore the working state of the Home button?
- Home button calibration
- Correction of the position of the connector;
- Contact pad cleaning and mechanism lubrication;
- Replacing a button at the program level.
Consider each of these methods in more detail.
Home Button Calibration
- Launch on your iPhone any native (regular) application that is part of iOS. It can be weather, calendar, promotions or any other;
- Press and hold the Power button until the device turns off on the slider screen. Release Power;
- Press and hold Home until the shutdown slider disappears. Done!
Practice shows that the actions described above help only a small number of users of iOS devices, but still the method has the right to life.
How to calibrate the Home button on iPhone. Correct the position of the standard connector
Some owners of iPhone 4 and 4S may encounter a problem when the Home button completely stops responding to clicks. Do not rush to change the button. A non-standard trick with a 30-pin standard connector will help to fix the situation:
- Connect a regular USB cable to the iPhone;
- Put your finger under the plug inserted into the connector;
- Gently push the plug in the “Bottom-Up” direction and press the Home button. If the button starts working, in no case do not press harder, this will not help, but it can lead to mechanical damage to the connector. The effort should be small and that’s enough.
instruction for adjusting the position of the connector. Contact pad cleaning and mechanism lubrication
On the Internet you can come across a method of dealing with a broken Home button with lubricants and cleaning products such as alcohol and Wd-40 (it’s a “wedeshka”). The latter is used to lubricate various mechanisms in the aerospace and weapons industries, aviation and electromechanical production. In everyday life, a “wagon” lubricates doors, vehicle mechanisms, locks and much more. Oddly enough, but the tool can also help in repairing the Home button, for this:
- Put some on the Home button;
- Several times, sequentially press the button (it may take up to 15 clicks) until the product penetrates the gap between the button and the protective glass of the iPhone.
Be careful, the WD-40 has high fluidity and easily penetrates even the smallest gaps, if too much is applied, it can penetrate the gap between the protective glass and the touch panel and leave greasy spots.
In order to clean the contact pad and the gap between the button and the glass, you can use ordinary alcohol, for this:
- Put a little alcohol on the surface of the button in the gap area around the perimeter;
- Press Home several times (up to 10 times);
- Wait until the alcohol evaporates, it usually takes no more than 2 minutes, and you can check.
In the vast majority of cases, the steps described above will help bring the faulty Home button back to life, but if your device or its button separately is damaged mechanically (signs of damage are visible, there is no button travel), you cannot solve the problem by lubricating, cleaning and calibrating the button. But in this case, there is a solution, there are 2 of them:
- Repair or complete replacement of a button in a service center;
- Assign home button functions to gestures.
Duplicate the Home button at the program level
If the Home button in your device is damaged and you can’t solve the problem with your own hands, you can contact the service center, the guys will repair or replace the button, but it will cost about 100 and 2-3 days. But this is not necessary, iOS has a wonderful feature. Assistive Touch, which allows you to replace Home at the program level, or rather assign its functions to a simple tap on the screen of your iPhone or iPad.
In part, we already touched on the capabilities of AssistiveTouch in the instructions “How to restart iPhone from any state”, but the function is much more promising and allows you to completely replace the functionality of the Home button.
- On iPhone, go to Settings.The main.Universal access.AssistiveTouch and turn on the switch;
- A translucent icon appears on the display, tap on which opens a functional menu that allows you to control your iPhone or iPad without using the mechanical controls of the Power and Home buttons, volume control.
You can use AssistiveTouch from any application, from the Home screen or lock screen. Mechanical buttons with AssistiveTouch are not necessary at all.
We really hope that the steps described above will help you if not 100, then at least 99% to solve the problem with a broken or sticky Home button on iPhone and iPad. Perhaps you know some more ways to bring Home back to life? Please share in the comments. Thanks in advance!