How to Zoom Out on a Computer Screen
Users often encounter tasks when it is necessary to increase or decrease the scale of the screen on the computer in Windows 7, 8, 10. Not all users can control the scaling in Windows, so we will consider this process in detail.
Controlling the size of computer screen objects can be divided into two directions:
- Windows interface zoom
- Zooming in on individual objects
In the first direction, there is a change in the size of absolutely everything that is displayed on the PC screen. In the second direction, the sizes in programs and individual elements of the OS change.
How to change the scale of the Windows interface
The operating system automatically determines the optimal scale of the screen in the presence of installed graphics drivers on a computer, laptop. If the settings are incorrect or as you wish, it is advisable to increase or decrease the screen scale. Follow these steps, as appropriate.
1. An incorrectly set screen resolution can make objects either enlarged or reduced, which leads to inconvenient use of a PC. To fix these problems, read the articles on how to adjust the screen resolution on Windows 10, 7, 8, and how to find out the computer screen resolution.
2. You can increase or decrease the screen scale on a computer or laptop by changing the DPI (dots per inch). In the Windows Control Panel, when the “small” or “large” icons are displayed, select the “screen” element.
In the seven, click “different font size” (left), in the eight “custom size settings” (in the center), in the ten “set a custom zoom level” (in the center).
In the scale selection window, set the percentage; the higher the set value, the larger the scale. Choose from the list of ready-made values, or move the slider with the mouse. I advise you to check the use of scales in the style of XP, so that outdated programs do not have problems with fonts.
Next, click OK, then “apply”, click “exit now.” After logging out, you will change the screen scale, visual elements, fonts and more. I recommend reading material on how to change the font size in Windows.
Note: do not set the DPI too large, as objects can become very huge, which will make it impossible to return acceptable sizes back in normal mode. If you encounter this problem, boot in safe mode and set the appropriate values.
How to change the scale of individual OS objects
In Windows, you can change the scale on the screen of individual elements. You can easily change the size of desktop shortcuts, the size of folders and files in Explorer by holding down the Ctrl button on the keyboard, and scroll the mouse wheel up (to increase), down (to decrease). Also this combination (Ctrl mouse wheel) works effectively in many programs: test and graphic editors, browsers and others.
You can use hotkeys in browsers, especially if you have a laptop and no mouse. To zoom out on the laptop screen using the keyboard in the browser, hold Ctrl and press minus, to increase press plus. To return the default scale, press Ctrl 0. Combinations are supported by Photoshop.
Zooming in and out of a computer screen using the keys and mouse is the most convenient. However, the scaling of elements can be controlled directly in the menu, in the interface of the program window, in Explorer, by setting the desired value. For example, to change the value in Word, you can move the slider (in the lower right corner), or set your own percentage of the size.
Using these methods, you can increase or decrease the screen scale on a computer in Windows 7, 8, 10. Use all methods and select the most convenient one.
- The first way to change the scale of the screen using regular means
- Screen magnifier as a way to adjust zoom
- Monitor resolution control through adapter software
- How to reduce the screen in various browsers and office applications?
- Keyboard Shortcuts to Know
- We use third-party programs
- Update graphics card drivers
Regardless of what kind of situation you are faced with, you will agree that incorrect display of the size of icons, shortcuts, text and other interface elements causes obvious discomfort when working with a computer. In addition, because of this, eyes quickly get tired and even the head begins to hurt. Our task with you is to return the optimal and comfortable image on the display. Consider detailed instructions with various options to increase and decrease the scale of displayed objects, and also learn how to adjust the screen resolution.
Resizing screens through built-in operating system tools
It is one of the simplest and most common methods for Windows 10 and 7.
- Right-click in an empty area of the desktop;
- In the context menu that appears, select the “Screen Settings” item.
If this option is not available on your OS, do the following:
- Open the “Start” and select “Options” (the icon in the form of a gear);
- Go to the “System” section;
- In the left corner you will see the “Screen / notifications / power” tab, in the right. The settings window, where you can set the size of the labels (small, large screen icons), text and other elements. Here you can change the landscape, portrait or portrait orientation, as well as adjust the brightness level.
How to zoom using Screen Magnifier?
Magnifier is a universal tool for any edition of Windows from XP and above. Allows you to very easily and quickly change the scale of the interface on the computer screen.
- To use the tool, open the Start menu;
- If it is not in the list of programs on the left, we write “screen magnifier” in the search line and start the corresponding application;
- A small panel will appear with the functions of reducing and enlarging, adjust the appropriate value and close or collapse the panel.
How to change the screen size on a computer through the built-in application to the card?
Users of modern versions of Windows can quickly configure the display by calling a special utility for working with the drivers of the built-in adapter.
- Right-click in an empty area of the desktop;
- In the pop-up menu, find the item “Graphics Settings” (next to it will be the name of the manufacturer, for example Intel, as shown in the screenshot);
- Wait for the start procedure to complete;
- Next, select the “Display” section;
- The next step is to set the indicators you are interested in and do not forget to apply the specified configurations.
How to scale the interface in web browsers and office software?
The method described below will help to reduce or increase the scale in the browser Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Yandex Browser, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and many other browsers.
- Launch the browser you need;
- Click on the settings icon located in the upper right corner;
- We are looking for adjustment of scaling and indicate the required value in percent.
Information for MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- We open the program, for example: Word;
- On the right side at the very bottom of the interface you will see the desired slider;
- For more detailed work with configurations, click on the “View” tab and select “Zoom”.
How to increase or decrease the screen size using the keyboard. Quickly change screen zoom settings on Windows 10
Not everyone knows about the existence of the simplest keyboard combinations created to implement the task we are considering. The methods often work in various graphic, text editors and browsers, allowing you to change the font size.
- Being in this or that application, hold the Ctrl button and start scrolling the mouse wheel up or down;
- The second option is press the key combination “Ctrl” or “Ctrl.”;
- If you want to return to the standard indicator of 100%, use the simultaneous pressing of the “Ctrl 0” buttons.
We can safely say that the easiest way. Using the keyboard. You just need to remember the key combinations.
Third-party display resolution software
The first supports scaling up to 400%, also knows how to set screensavers and work with a timer.
The second is characterized by convenient and quick access to resolution settings and makes it possible to set unique parameters for each user of a PC or laptop individually.
Updating graphics card software
The main reason why you may not be able to scale the image automatically or manually is the lack of the required driver for the card or the presence of its outdated version. Correcting the situation is quite simple.
- Right-click on the “My Computer” icon on the desktop and select “Properties”;
- In the window that opens, look for “Device Manager” (located in the menu on the left and starts with administrator rights);
- We reveal the Adapters masonry;
- If you see equipment with the name “Standard VGA adapter” or “Microsoft Corporation”, then the drivers are not updated to the latest;
- Right-click on your chip and click on “Update Drivers. “;
- Wait until the update process is completed and restart the computer.