How to Watch Wi-Fi on a Computer
Despite the fact that almost nothing has changed in comparison with previous versions of the OS, some users ask how to find out their Wi-Fi password on a Windows 10 computer or laptop, I will answer this question below. Why might this be needed? For example, if you need to connect a new device to the network: it happens that you just cannot remember the password.
This short instruction describes three ways to view the Wi-Fi password from the current network or from any saved wireless network: the first is to easily view it in the OS interface, the second using the command line and the third in the Wi-Fi router’s web interface. Also in the article you will find a where everything described is shown clearly. If desired, you can see the Wi-Fi password on the Android phone. Additional ways to see the passwords of wireless networks stored on a computer or laptop for all saved networks, and not just active in different versions of Windows, can be found here: How to find out your Wi-Fi password.
- How to see the Wi-Fi password in Windows 10 network settings
- How to find Wi-Fi passwords of saved networks in CMD
- View password in router settings
View your Wi-Fi password in wireless settings
So, the first way, which is likely to be enough for most users, is to simply view the Wi-Fi network properties in Windows 10, where, among other things, you can see the password. First of all, to use this method, the computer must be connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi (to see the password for an inactive connection will not work, use the second method for them), the second condition is that you must have administrator rights in Windows 10 (for most users this is the case).
- The first step is to right-click on the connection icon in the notification area (bottom right), select “Open Network and Internet Settings”, and in the window that opens, at the bottom. “Network and Sharing Center.” When the specified window opens, select “Change adapter settings” on the left. : How to open the Network and Sharing Center in Windows 10 (opens in a new tab). You can also press WinR keys on the keyboard, enter ncpa.Cpl and press Enter to open the desired window.
- The second step is to right-click on your wireless connection, select the “Status” context menu item, and in the window that opens with information about the Wi-Fi network, click “Wireless Network Properties”. Note: instead of the two described actions, you can simply click on “Wireless Network” in the “Connections” item in the window of the network control center.
- And the last step to find out your Wi-Fi password is to open the “Security” tab in the properties of the wireless network and check the box “Display entered characters”.
The described method is very simple, but allows you to see the password only for the wireless network to which you are connected, but not for those to which you previously connected. However, there is a method for them.
How to find the saved Wi-Fi password on the command line
The option described above allows you to see the Wi-Fi network password only for the currently active connection time. However, there is a way to see passwords for all other wireless connections saved in Windows 10 using CMD.
- Run the command line on behalf of the Administrator (how to do this) and enter the commands in order.
- Here, remember the name of the Wi-Fi network for which you need to know the password.
- If the network name consists of several words, quote it.
As a result of the command from point 3, information about the selected saved Wi-Fi connection will be displayed, the Wi-Fi password will be displayed in the “Key Contents” item. This method is also demonstrated in the instruction below.
View password in router settings
The second way to find out the Wi-Fi password, which can be used not only from a computer or laptop, but also, for example, from a tablet, is to go into the settings of the router and see it in the wireless security settings. Over, if you do not know the password at all and have not saved it on any device, you can connect to the router using a wired connection.
The only condition is that you must know the data to enter the router settings web interface. Username and password are usually written on a sticker on the device itself (although the password usually changes during the initial setup of the router), there is also an address for entry. Details about this can be found in the How to enter the router settings guide.
After logging in, all you need (and it does not depend on the brand and model of the router) is to find the wireless network setup item, and in it are the Wi-Fi security settings. It is there that you can see the password used, and then use it to connect your devices.
How to see the Wi-Fi password on a Windows 10 computer.
And finally, a in which you can see the use of the described methods for viewing the saved Wi-Fi network key.
If something doesn’t work or doesn’t work as I described, ask the questions below, I will answer.
And suddenly it will be interesting:
- Windows 10
- Router setup
- All about Windows
- Boot flash drive
- Virus treatment
- Data recovery
- Installation from a flash drive
- In contact with
Why not subscribe?
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from remontka.Pro. No ads and free computer assistance to subscribers from the author. Other methods of subscription (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Yandex.Zen)
06/23/2016 at 17:21
Hello. But what if I have not wireless, but the Internet?
06/24/2016 at 10:00
I have nothing to check for now. But you can try the same way
10/10/2016 at 10:40
I have a laptop connected via a cable from the router, no stickers, the standard password does not work (at address 192.168.1.1), the password has been lost. How to recognize him?
10/10/2016 at 10:47
If you are talking about the password of the admin admin panel, then here you can reset the router to the factory settings and then use the standard password.
10/10/2016 at 11:11
And I still can’t turn on wifi on the laptop (the keyboard is not working, namely, the key combination on it also turns on wifi) can this be done on the command line, the adapter itself on Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter, I’ve been tormented for a month now, where the wireless network just costs a cross wifi itself does not turn on what to do I don’t know
10/10/2016 at 11:40
Are you sure that it is faulty? It’s just more often that this is the reason for the lack of drivers for the function keys of the laptop, I wrote about it in detail here: https://remontka.Pro/no-wi-fi-limited-windows-10/
07/19/2016 at 16:42
Great and how to change the network Wi fi my sister asks me?
All about local networks and network equipment
The modern man is faced with the need to connect to Wi-Fi everywhere: wireless networks are much more practical and convenient than their cable “brothers”.
That’s just such WiFi-privileges basically “use” all kinds of mobile gadgets: phones, tablets, smartphones and most modern laptops. Accordingly, the question arises: what is the “classic” personal computer worse? After all, working on a desktop computer is much more convenient, and cable Internet connection is often a lot of trouble.
And in this article we will discuss how to connect a stationary computer to wifi, and what needs to be done to make the computer “catch” invisible Wi-Fi.
By the way, the age of the device is not directly related to the creation of a wireless network, and you can even connect WiFi to a relatively old computer.
Can I connect a regular computer to wifi?
Some difficulties with connecting Wi-Fi on a personal computer are by no means connected with the “prejudices” of developers or the unsuccessful complete deprivation of the fate of this device.
The fact is that mobile devices and modern laptops are initially equipped with a built-in Wi-Fi adapter for connecting to a wireless network (which is not available on a desktop computer). However, such devices are mostly designed for short-term access to the network, and have a rather meager set of functional capabilities.
While a stationary computer is designed for continuous operation with both serious offline software and with any resources of the global information network. Accordingly, the connection with all peripheral devices and external networks (Internet, power, etc.) is carried out here in a more reliable cable way.
Therefore, it is not worth deciding to connect a home computer to wifi solely for aesthetic reasons. The “standard” cable connection is more reliable, more efficient (Internet speed is not “cut”), and much less damage to the health of the Internet user.
However, if a hard connection to an Internet source is unavailable for some reason, you can connect Wi-Fi to your home computer in a matter of minutes.
How to connect a home computer to wifi?
To connect wifi to a stationary PC, first of all, you need to purchase a special removable Wi-Fi adapter. A miniature antenna that will “catch” the Internet signal transmitted by the router and return the data processed by the user to the router.
The most popular and inexpensive solution here is to choose a removable USB adapter for your computer.
If you purchased the adapter from an authorized distributor, then a disk with a special program for installing drivers is supplied with the device.
How to install Wi-Fi on a computer with Windows 7?
1. Plug your adapter into any USB port on your computer.
2. Insert the disk into the drive, run the auto-tuning utility, and at the request of the program, click the “Next” button.
3. After installing the driver in the “Network Control Center” folder for Windows 7 (or “Network Connections” for Windows XP) you will see a new shortcut (in addition to the usual “Local Area Connection”). The name of the label will contain the brand of the manufacturer of your adapter.
4. Now you can connect your desktop computer to wifi. To do this, right-click on the shortcut once. “Connection”. Select the name of your Wi-Fi network and enter the password.
How to configure Wi-Fi if there is no installation disk?
In addition to the “classic” acquisition of a brand-new licensed adapter, there are times when the user needed the Wi-Fi on the computer “here and now” and he borrowed from friends / acquired an old used WiFi adapter.
The driver disk for such an adapter, of course, has long been lost.
In this situation, you need to download the archive with the driver from the Internet.
“But there is no Internet!”. You say. “What to do?”
Here To connect a desktop computer to wifi:
Go to the official website of the manufacturer of this adapter (or the profile resource ddriver.Ru), find the driver you need by the name of the USB-Wi-Fi adapter and download the software to your computer.
2. Next, right-click once on the “My Computer” shortcut, then “Management” and select “Device Manager” here. In the “Network Adapters” section, find the name of our USB adapter, right-click on it and select the “Update Driver” menu item. Next, specify the folder into which the archive with the necessary drivers was copied, and click “OK”.
3. After installation is complete, you can connect your desktop computer to wifi. To do this, in Network Connections: