How to turn on the antenna power in the Samsung TV
What to do if there is no signal on the TV?
Today comes a huge number of TV receivers that fit any budget. Each model has certain advantages and disadvantages. One might get the impression that TVs from the upper price range cause their owner less problems. However, this is not exactly the case.
Even after the purchase of good and expensive equipment, you may encounter a situation where the TV does not get a signal.
If the TV writes “No signal”, this does not indicate a problem in the device itself. There are many reasons why the receiver does not catch the signal of digital television. What to do in this situation, to continue to use the TV, you will learn from this article.
Ways to connect
In addition to the TV receiver you need to buy a special set-top box and antenna. As for the latter, there is no need to look for a special device because digital channels can be viewed with a regular decimeter design. DVM range units can be passive and active, the latter have an additional module used to amplify the signal. But many users of digital or satellite TV don’t know how to connect power to the antenna.
First of all, it is worth understanding how to supply power to active devices. It can be supplied via an antenna cable, via an additional wire, coming from a power source, connected to a 220 V network, or via a USB interface of a TV receiver.
Most designs are powered by the first method. To do this you must enter the settings of the STB and activate the mode “Antenna power.
Subscribers who have a TV set that supports DVB-T2 format, but do not have an external receiver, will have a bit more difficulties. Receiving equipment in this case can be powered with an additional cable. The antenna wire will need to be connected to the electrical box. This module is only a secondary source of electricity supplied to the nodes of the receiver. In addition, it performs other functions, provides voltage protection and stabilization.
There are four parts to every cable. The top layer is a protective sheath, under it there is a shield, a braid of foil, another layer of insulation and a conductor. To connect the cable to the power module, do the following:
- The first thing to do is to cut the wire. Step back 1.5-2 cm from the end and use a sharp object to remove the insulation, using a circular motion. Under the insulation is the braid, it can not be damaged.
- Part of the cut insulator is removed and the foil and screen components are slid to the opposite side.
- Next, you need to indent from the edge of the braid, no more than 5-6 mm, and a circular motion to cut the inner insulating layer.
- Place the cable under the clamp of the plug of the electrical module. Insert the central core carefully into the clamp and make sure the shield and braid are in contact with the tinned portion.
- The last step is to tighten the screws and fix the pins of the power supply wire.
TV cable is an important product in the connection scheme of the antenna and TV receiver, so you should choose it with maximum responsibility. A wire with a good wave impedance is able to maximize electrical power transmission.
Cables that can be used to power external antennas are divided into several types. Symmetrical and coaxial products are slightly cheaper, but they have some significant drawbacks. The former are susceptible to dirt, which causes loss of signal, while the latter are afraid of the weather and have a short service life. Optimal choice is to buy asymmetric cable with copper wire of big thickness.
The wire is usually equipped with a plastic dielectric, its braid consists of copper wire, and the outer layer is made of polyethylene. The basic attention when choosing a cable should be paid to its thickness, the more it is, the better. A thin product will lose some energy, which will adversely affect the quality of the signal.
Your TV antenna power supply. Schemes of power supply to the antenna amplifier.
Reception of digital DVB-T2 television signal by antennas without amplifiers is possible only at a short distance from the retransmitter (usually about 20 km), or at the antenna with a high natural amplification factor, which is achieved by the considerable size of the antenna. It should be mounted outdoors and, if possible, as high as possible.
Most modern antennas (with an amplifier) require a 5 V power supply. Let’s look at some schemes of power supply to the amplifier antenna. Power supply to the TV antenna is carried out through coaxial cable:
Power supply from a digital terrestrial receiver.
If you have a classic scheme of receiving terrestrial TV TV TV set-top box, then the power supply to the antenna is carried out directly by the receiver.
Almost all modern DVB-T/T2 receivers are equipped with an antenna power supply. You can activate the power supply through the menu of the receiver.
To check whether this function is available or activated, refer to the receiver’s manual or its settings.
Feeding power from the TV’s built-in tuner.
Many modern televisions are already equipped with a built-in DVB-T2 tuner, and you could power the antenna from the TV.
But not all models of TV sets support the function of power supply to the active antenna.
If you need to supply power to the antenna, you will need one of the following equipment sets in the right combination:
Types of antennas
According to the location of the television antennas are divided into indoor and outdoor. In addition, receivers can be active and passive. In the active antenna there are auxiliary converters to enhance the signal quality, which can require additional power supply. But passive ones receive and convert data only through their shape.
These devices can also be divided according to the range of the received waves:
- Decimeter. Only for receiving DMV;
- Speech-periodic. Receive both MV and DMV;
- All-wave receivers. They can receive a wide range of waves, but their reception distance is short.
Before choosing a indoor or outdoor antenna for your TV, you should pay attention to the following parameters:
- Directivity diagram. That is, the direction from which the signal will be received best. Depending on the shape of the wave receiver, the reception strength will not be uniform;
- Internal impedance. Must match the TV cable. Most often it is 75 ohms, but it can also be 50 ohms;
- Gain. This is the gain of active wave receivers. The CG is usually sufficient between 15-30 dB. And don’t go for too high a value, otherwise overloading may occur. And if the signal is too noisy, the noise will also be amplified;
- Material is important for outdoor wave receivers. For example, for areas with frequent precipitation, it is better to take a device with powder coating.
Now we will dwell in detail on each kind.
Indoor antennas for TV are compact, easy to install, have a low cost. But they are only good if you have a good signal. They will be of little help when you are far away from a repeater or in a suburban area. As already noted, digital broadcasting takes place on the waves of the decimeter range, so to choose a room antenna for digital television, you need to ensure that it was able to receive such a signal.
Manufacturers offer for home use constructions of the most various design. It can be quite small devices which are enough to mark near the TV set. From the functional and design elements may be present
- Receive analog, digital, radio and signals of different HDTV standards;
- The presence of protective screens from noise and distortion;
- The presence of vibrators to expand the frequency range;
- The possibility of mounting on a variety of surfaces.
The most recommended are wave receivers by Remo, BBK, Delta, Hyundai. Of the basic criteria on how to choose the right indoor antenna for the TV, perhaps the most important are the distance from the signal source and the design feature, which will have to fit perfectly into the interior of the room.
Outdoor antennas can receive waves up to 60 km away. They should be placed as high as possible. Although installation can be a hassle, you can get excellent signal quality with such a device. As a rule, they are equipped with amplifiers. Here at a choice it is important to pay attention, what the construction is made of, and how it can stand a wind load.
Buying external wave receivers is reasonable in dacha, suburban, rural areas. Even the best indoor antenna is not able to compare with such on the characteristics. It is recommended to choose such designs, which will be easy to install. At fastening it is better to use masts or the most elevated places. Installation near windows can lead to the fact that the metal-plastic construction of the window itself will interfere.
It should be noted that the wrong location of the wave receiver can lead to poor signal quality and interference. It is much better to install with someone to be able to adjust the position of the device.
Among manufacturers of street receiving designs Remo, Rexant, BBK, Delta have good indicators.
If the area is too far from the repeater, it will not be possible to amplify a very weak signal. In this case, it is worth choosing a satellite broadcasting. Cost of such aerials is much higher, than the etheric, but also quality of a received signal is better and quantity of channels much more. In order to be able to view satellite TV, you need to sign a contract with such a service provider. You will need to connect a special receiver or receiver that will decode the signal received from the satellite dish.
What kind of antenna is better to choose? Here, too, the choice is quite wide. Some satellite providers offer their own set of all equipment. If you’re going to do the selection and installation yourself, it is important that the dish had a good powder coating to protect against corrosion and reinforced mount. Some manufacturers make such a shape of the dish so that it can self-clean. They are also made slightly elongated or egg-shaped to further improve reception.
Among the leaders in quality among satellite dishes can be noted: AUM CTB-0.6 DF. 1.1, LANS-65, MULTI Toroidal.
To connect your indoor antenna to your TV, you need a coaxial cable with an RF plug.
All indoor models are equipped with it at the time of production, but often its length is not long enough to place the TV antenna in the area of most reliable reception. Therefore, you often have to use an additional cable either to lengthen the existing cable or, if an external individual antenna is used, to connect the.
When selecting a cable, the following factors must be kept in mind:
- The shorter the cable, the better. Even the highest quality coaxial cable has a non-zero resistance, which increases with each meter. If the cable is too long, its internal resistance may be so great that a signal that allows you to clearly see TV programs simply will not be received.
- Almost all brands of cable have a wave impedance of 75 ohms. However, there are a number of additional parameters concerning signal quality. For example, an RG-59 cable is relatively cheap, but has too much signal attenuation.
- To a digital TV receiver working with the DVB-T2 standard;
- To the receiver (set-top box, tuner), which is able to convert a digital signal into audio and video.
Samsung TV: HDMI No Signal Error || Fix It Now.100% Worked
Connection is made to the antenna input of the TV or set top box using a plug of the appropriate form.
In cases where the TV is too old and the set-top box has a high-frequency modulator, you can connect it to the TV via the antenna input. In this case also coaxial cable is required.
Digital TV. Basic information. How to power an active digital TV antenna DVB-T2
Our expert Stanislav Boush explains:
How to Access Secret “Service Menu” for All Samsung TVs
The active TV antenna differs from the passive one in that there is a TV signal amplifier inside it.
For the amplifier to work, it is necessary to supply power to it. In modern antennas 5 volt power is supplied by the central core of the cable. Antenna television 12 volt power adapters are slowly but steadily becoming a thing of the past (antenna power supplies, which are plugged into a 220 volt outlet). There are more modern solutions. Much more convenient.
And how to supply 5 volt power to the antenna through the antenna cable? You will learn how to do this in this article.
Here is an antenna, for example, room directional active, called T-3310 manufactured by antenna.You can get it from. When power is supplied, the indicator LED lights up.
The first way of power supply is from the TV receiver (digital set-top box). In all, absolutely in all receivers implemented the function of turning on the antenna power.
For this purpose in the menu of the receiver it is necessary to find item Power Antenna and switch from OFF to ON. Like this:
And how to turn on power to the antenna on your TV? If it’s a modern Smart TV? You can’t! Unfortunately, Digital TVs don’t have this feature! Not on LG, Samsung, or JVC! No TVs!
So the question of how to power an active antenna in modern televisions is very important to understand.
Therefore, to power the active antennas the special device which for some reason is called not the power supply but the power injector is invented.
The main idea of the developers was that the antenna must be powered from the USB connector of the modern TV, it is done this way:
The injector has three connectors. USB, TV dad, TV mom.
USB plugs into the TV’s USB port, TV Papa plugs into the TV socket, and TV Mama plugs into the antenna!
How to watch digital TV without an antenna (setting up IPTV)
You can access television without an antenna. Internet-router or wire connection will be used as source.
If you have high-speed Internet at home, you can buy an interactive TV service from your own provider. Choose a tariff on the company’s website, order it and wait for a specialist to come to your home to install the equipment (often providers install their own brand set-top boxes).
If you will connect TV to the Internet via router (preferably not via Wi-Fi, but via cable), the settings will be done in the router’s personal cabinet. The procedure will depend on the interest of the cabinet (it is different for each manufacturer). Consider the procedure using the popular TP-Link routers as an example:
- Connect PC to “Wi-Fi” of router. Open page 192 in your browser.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Enter admin as your login and password.
- Go to “Advanced settings” section. Select IPTV in the Network box.
Choose a local port the box will be connected to
If you have a new Samsung with Smart TV you don’t need a TV set-top box, the digital tuner is already built into the TV. Go to the menu and look for channels using manual or automatic search. If your TV is old, buy a set-top box, connect it with the “tulip” and set the channels in the menu of the set-top box.
In order to watch digital television, you need an antenna. If you can connect to a collective cable, it’s no problem. But if you don’t have it at home or can’t connect to it. Don’t worry: in many cases the indoor antenna will work just as well. Let’s find out how to configure it, what you need to take into account and how to avoid possible difficulties.
Tuning the indoor antenna
Tuning of the indoor antenna includes the following steps:
- Determine the signal strength. To do this, turn on the TV with an antenna connected and switch to Auto Channel Tuning mode. On the screen you will see a scale with the signal level. If it is higher than 50%. A passive indoor antenna will be just right for you. If lower, you’d better install an active or even an external antenna. Read more about how to choose an antenna for digital TV.
- Orient the antenna in the direction of the repeater tower. You can see the exact direction on the digital TV coverage map.
- Move the antenna around the room. Even indoors, there are areas with confident reception and those in the “dead zone”. If you change the location of the antenna, you must recheck the signal strength.
- Do a channel search on your TV (if it supports “digital”) or set-top box to receive broadcast multiplexes.