How to Speed Up Windows 7 On A Weak Computer
After a few months, the “Ten” began to treacherously slow down? Do not rush to reinstall anything. In this guide, we will explain in detail how to speed up Windows 10 on a computer or laptop without reinstalling.
Optimization of Windows 10: we clean autorun
One of the major obstacles that most often slows down Windows 10 is programs that automatically run with the OS. Because of them, the computer takes longer to load, and overall performance is seriously affected. And the most interesting thing is that most people do not even know about these programs: the benefits are zero, and the resources are used.
We described a lot of important information on optimizing Windows in our article, “Optimizing the Windows XP System”
Disabling everything unnecessary at startup is one of the reliable ways to speed up Win 10. What is needed for this?
- We go to the task manager. To do this, simultaneously press the button with the Win logo window, the R key, and in the line that appears, enter: taskmgr
- Open the “Startup” section.
- We sort all the programs by clicking on the column “Impact on launch”.
- Among the most “gluttonous” tasks we find all useless and turn off.
How to understand what the system really needs to work, and what is wasting memory? The easiest way is to google each of the “suspicious” programs: most likely, at least 90% of them are not necessary for you. Often autorun is full of unnecessary software from the manufacturer of the PC or laptop, hidden adware, or even spyware.
What can be turned off exactly?
- Cloud storage (So, in the case of the “top ten”, OneDrive “registers” automatically in autoload).
- uTorrent, MediaGet and other programs for downloading. when you need to, run them separately. In addition, the constant distribution of torrents completely slows down Windows of any version.
- Official software, which booted by default when installing a scanner, printer, or MFP. You hardly use it, and devices will work just fine.
To optimize Windows 10, we clean only startup, the programs themselves will remain on the computer. So, if necessary, you can start any of them manually.
Turn off services that load the system “idle”
Developers cannot predict which services you will need. Therefore, the entire array starts automatically with the OS. To speed up Windows 10 on a laptop or computer, it’s useful to find the extra services that you personally do not need and turn them off.
- “Start” with the right button / “Computer Management”.
- In the left menu we find the “Services” section.
- In the Advanced tab, you can read what each of the services does.
What to disconnect, and what is better not to touch? There are many lists on the network, but we will focus on those services that can be turned off with virtually no risk. Let’s start with the most “gluttonous.”
- Update Center. it’s better to periodically update the system manually.
- Windows Search. if you rarely look for something on the computer.
These services can be safely removed if the computer is not connected to a shared network:
- KtmRm for the distributed transaction coordinator.
- Offline files.
- IPSec Policy Agent.
- Computer browser.
- NetBIOS Support Module.
- Server Network Service.
The antivirus has already taken on the task of these services:
These are useless in 99% of cases, but slowing down Windows 10 because of them can decently:
- Adaptive brightness control.
- IP Helper Service.
- Secondary login.
- Customer tracking changed links.
- IPsec Key Modules for Internet Key Exchange and Authenticated IP.
- SSDP discovery.
- Parental Control
- Error Registration Service.
- Remote registry
Leave these only if you are using the appropriate devices:
- Smart card.
- Fax machine.
- Print Manager. for the printer.
- Image Download Service (WIA). for scanners and cameras.
- Bluetooth support service. hardly anyone else uses bluetooth.
- Tablet PC Input Service. If you are not using handwriting.
- The main services of the trusted platform module. if there are no monitoring devices based on BitLocker or TMP.
How to disable the service?
We double-click on it and in the window that appears, in the line “Startup type”, set “Disabled” / then “Apply” or “OK”.
We carry out “cleaning” among the installed software
It is worth keeping on the laptop or PC only the software that you really need. removing unnecessary programs will significantly speed up your computer on Windows 10.
- “Start” with the right button / From there we go to the “Control Panel”.
- We open the section “Programs” / “Removing programs.”
- We revise everything that costs. Do not use? Delete without hesitation. Not sure what this or that unfamiliar software does? In order not to remove anything you need, it is best to hammer the name into a search on the Internet.
You will feel the effect right away. The result in the optimization of Windows 10 is especially clearly felt if the “junk” among the installed software has been accumulated decently. And this is most often the case, if this is not monitored separately.
We clean garbage files from drive C (system)
In any OS over the months of work, a fair amount of “junk” system files is typed. To speed up Windows 10, we recommend that you periodically delete them.
- In the Start menu search bar, enter “Disk Cleanup”.
- Open the program / Select the C drive / Click OK.
- After the analysis results appear, check the boxes in all sections that will be cleared / Click OK.
We clean the hard drive from unnecessary files (our own)
If you have a capacious hard drive of several terabytes, and there is still a lot of free space on it, you do not need this advice. But if the computer is old and the hard drive is “clogged to the top”, this can slow down Windows very much. If less than 20-30 percent of free space is left, difficulties with speed are practically guaranteed.
Of course, all this takes time, but with a small and cluttered hard drive, the effort is worth it: every 5-10% released will help significantly speed up the PC on Windows 10.
- How to get down to business? Slowly. Browse through all the files on your computer: you will surely find a lot of obscure archives and folders that you haven’t opened for many years, a bunch of films, heavy TV shows, old installers, etc. For your convenience, you can sort everything by size: you will clearly see what “eats” more whole place.
If you are not yet ready to change the hard drive, you will have to decisively remove everything unnecessary. Valuable, but heavy things can be partially “shoved” by flash drives, external drives and various cloud services.
After all deletions, do not forget to empty the trash!
Disk defragmentation (optimization)
It is especially good to defragment after you have cleared the “system trash”, removed some installed software, or manually deleted extra files from the computer. This useful procedure restores the correct disk structure, which greatly accelerates Windows 10 on a weak computer.
- Click [Win R].
- In the window we type: dfrgui
- In the appeared window “Disk Optimization” click on the C / “Optimize” disk.
If you nevertheless took the time to radically clean non-system disks (removed everything difficult but unnecessary from them), repeat the procedure for them (D, E, etc.)
We clean the registry with a program for optimizing Windows 10
If you are not an advanced user, we do not recommend “delving” into the registry yourself. It’s safer to put everything on a program that does it for you. Let’s take a look at the steps of CCleaner, a popular free program for optimizing Windows 10. By the way, cleaning and defragmentation can be done in it.
- After installation, click on the “Registry” tab.
- First click on “Search for problems”.
- When a list of all errors appears, click “Fix selected.”
- Just in case, you can click “Yes” on the offer to save a copy, although usually there are no difficulties after CСleaner.
- Click “Fix selected” / “Close.”
Eliminate excessive processor load
- Click [Win R].
- Enter: taskmgr
- We go to the “Details”.
- We click on the column “CPU”, sorting the running processes by load.
- We find those processes that “eat up” the maximum resources.
- We recommend searching the network for what this or that process is responsible for. So it becomes clear which can be closed.
- We turn off unnecessary processes, selecting each and clicking on “Remove task”.
Optimization of the hard drive on Windows 10
If you have a regular HDD, and not a high-speed SSD, do this.
- Run “Control Panel”, by clicking “Start” with the right button.
- Go to “System” / in it in “Device Manager”.
- In the “Disk Devices” section, find your hard drive.
- Right-click on it / select “Properties”.
- Switch to the “Policy” tab.
- Turn the switch to Optimize for Execution.
- Check both boxes in the boxes below (Caching and Performance) / OK.
Winchester will now work better, and with it, Windows 10 will speed up a bit.
We remove unnecessary tiles in the Start menu
The system automatically places a set of live application tiles in the Start menu. Come in and see if you use them?
We recommend that you leave only the really needed ones, and select the remaining rectangles with the right mouse button and select “Delete from the Start menu.” This is not a panacea, but still slow down Windows 10 will be even a little less.
Turn off Windows 10 tracking
Yes, the “top ten” really “spies” on our actions, regularly sending the collected information to Microsoft. The tracking function also consumes a certain amount of system resources. To optimize Windows 10 on slow computers, it is better to turn it off.
When the speed gain is needed urgently: remove special effects. Simplify the schedule
If the computer slows down very much, you can drastically speed up Windows 10 by sacrificing “cool” graphics. Of course, the graphical shell of the OS will become quite simple, turning into something in between the seven and the rare Win 98. But a serious performance boost on older computers is worth it. all the released resources will be sent in the right direction.
- Right-click “Start”, then go to the “System”.
- Go to the “Advanced Settings” menu.
- In the tab “Advanced” in the upper section “Performance” click on “Options”.
- If you don’t want to tinker with manual settings, in the “Visual Effects” just set “Ensure the best performance” / “OK”. The system itself will turn off all unnecessary.
- Instead, you can select “Special Effects” and experiment with them yourself: uncheck this or that effect, and you can leave the most familiar ones (for example, minimize windows, etc.).
A particularly good result in terms of optimizing Windows 10 can be expected here on weak PCs and laptops with up to 4GB of RAM.
Now turn off the animation
- Press the button with the Win icon (in the lower left corner of the keyboard) I.
- Go to the “Accessibility”.
- From there to the “Other Options”.
- We remove the function “Play animation”.
Turn off menu transparency
This detail looks impressive, of course, but also spends precious memory.
- In the “Start” menu we find the line “Settings”.
- From there we go to “Personalization”.
- On the left in the column, select the item “Colors”.
- In the line “Make the Start menu, the control panel and the notification center transparent” we shift the lever to the “Off” position
We remove system sounds
Another good method that will contribute to the acceleration of Windows 10. Do not worry, the sound on the computer itself will not go anywhere. Only alerts for different system events will be removed. You can easily do without them, but the system will no longer have to “torment” the hard drive in search of a particular sound file.
- Click “Start” with the right button / open the “Control Panel”.
- In the “Sound” section, look for the “Sounds” tab and in the “Sound scheme” item, set “Silent” / click “OK” at the bottom.
Windows 10 slows down anyway. What else can be done?
Here are some more useful optimization tips that will speed up Windows 10 on any computer or laptop.
But do not forget that more often than not licensed Windows slows down and we advise you to work only with the official version, how to install it correctly read in our article “How to reinstall Windows 10 from a USB flash drive”
- Check your system regularly for viruses. Here are some sensible free antivirus programs:
Now you know how to speed up Windows 10 if it slows down. Well, if the system is completely “killed” and reinstallation cannot be avoided, be sure to check out our article “How to reinstall Windows 10”. And be sure to share your successes and questions in the comments!