How To Restart Iphone If The Screen Is Frozen
How to turn off iPhone if it is frozen and the screen is not working
Reading time: 3 minutes
The article discusses in detail the options for answering the question of how to turn off the iPhone if it freezes. The described reboot methods are suitable for any smartphone model and version.
Sometimes Apple gadgets turn off spontaneously. This often happens with outdated models or in severe frost. The phone does not respond when the buttons are held down and the screen remains black.
A frightened user often asks how to turn off the iPhone if it freezes. Below is a list of effective ways to get your smartphone out of a frozen state.
Non-standard ways to reboot the device
There are other, more original methods for restarting an iPhone:
Restart iPhone in standard mode
The standard way to restart the iPhone if the screen does not work:
- Press and hold the Power button in the upper part of the case for 2-3 seconds.
- The display will show “Switch off”.
- Swipe from left to right in the direction of the pointer.
- If everything is done correctly, the device will turn off.
- To return it to working condition, you must again hold down the Power button.
This method is safe for all files and applications downloaded to the phone.
Hard reboot device
Iphone users can observe a complete freeze of the gadget, when neither pressing the buttons nor touching the screen gives a result. How to restart iPhone if the screen freezes and does not work:
- On iPhone 4/5/6/7, you need to hold down two buttons at once. “Home” and Power.
- Some smartphone models respond to a different key combination. Power and the volume down button.
- Hold them for 10-15 seconds.
- Release the keys and wait for the “apple” on the screen.
- If the logo does not appear, repeat all the steps again, hold the keys for 20-30 seconds.
- To turn on the gadget, you need to hold the power button for a long time.
This method forcibly shuts down the device, so some files may be lost. You should resort to hard reboot only if there are no other options.
- Go to “Settings”, “General”, then to “Accessibility”.
- Activate the “Bold” button.
- Next, the phone will offer to reboot, it must be done.
Reset network settings
- To turn off the device in a few seconds, you need to go to “Settings”.
- In the “General” select the function of resetting network settings.
- Then enter the lock password and restart the phone.
Restart iPhone X normally
If you need to restart your iPhone X, the best way to do this is to turn off and then turn on the device. In this case, the reboot is performed as naturally as possible and will definitely not create any additional problems. Of course, if the smartphone is completely frozen, then this method will not work and you need to use a forced reboot, but this does not happen so often.
So, to restart the iPhone X, you need to simultaneously press the power button (right) and the volume down button (left). After that, these buttons must be kept pressed until a proposal appears to turn off the iPhone.
Next, you need to turn off the iPhone X by moving the power button to the right.
After turning off, you need to wait a few seconds and turn on the smartphone again using the power button, which is located on the right side of the device. This will reboot your iPhone X as safely as possible.
Most likely, this method will work on the new iPhone XR and iPhone XS models.
Hard reset iPhone X
If your iPhone X is frozen, then you most likely will not be able to restart it by turning it off and on. For such cases, the iPhone has a forced restart. The iPhone X does it like this:
- Press and quickly release the volume up button.
- Press and quickly release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears.
It should be noted that this forced reboot method is relevant only for the iPhone X, since it is done differently in other iPhone models. You can read more about this in our article on restarting your iPhone.
How to restart iPhone X
The new iPhone X, also sometimes mistakenly referred to as the iPhone 10, has made quite a few changes from previous models. In particular, in the iPhone X the Home button disappeared and the screen configuration changed. These solutions saved a lot of space for placing a screen with a larger diagonal, but on the other hand, this led to significant changes in the principles of smartphone management.
For example, the abandonment of the Home button led to the need to look for other buttons for the functions that used it. So, the voice assistant Siri is now launched not using the Home button, but using the power button. And there are a lot of similar changes in the iPhone X, which creates a lot of inconvenience to users.
One of the problems is rebooting the smartphone. Many users do not understand how to reboot iPhone X, because the old reboot methods simply do not work in this smartphone model.
Alternative Ways to Restart iPhone X
In addition, there are some alternative ways to restart iPhone X. You can use them if the above options for some reason do not suit you.
For example, you can turn off your iPhone X through settings. To do this, simply open the Settings app and scroll down to the bottom of the options. There you will see a “Power off” button that can be used to turn off the device.
Also, iPhone 10 can be turned off using the “AssistiveTouch” function. To do this, go to the settings, open the section “General. Accessibility” and turn on the “AssistiveTouch” function.
After that, a floating button will appear on the screen of your iPhone X, which can be used to perform some operations. In order to turn off the device, you need to click on this button and select the “Device” section.
Then you need to press the “Screen lock” button and hold it down until the shutdown button appears on the screen.
You can also start a reboot by changing some settings. For example, if you go to the “Basic. Universal Access” section of the settings and enable the “Bold” function there, a warning about the device restart will appear on the screen. Click “OK” and the iPhone has rebooted.
Another option is to reset your network settings. If you go to “General. Reset” and use the “Reset network settings” option and activate the “Reset network settings” function, the iPhone will restart automatically.
As a last resort, you can reboot iPhone X by draining its battery to zero and putting it on charge. After a little charge it will turn on automatically.
All iPhones prior to iPhone 7
For iPhone 6, 6 plus, 6s, 6s plus, 5, 5S, 5C, SE, 4S and all previously released, you need to press the Home and Power buttons:
- Press and hold the Home and Power buttons at the same time for 10 seconds (approximately). The iPhone display will go blank completely.
- Release both buttons. If after that the Apple logo does not appear on the screen, briefly press the power button. Iphone will start downloading normally.
Force restart iPhone
The forced reboot method will differ depending on the model.
Iphone 7 and later
On iPhones that were released after the iPhone 7, the Home button was made touch-sensitive. If the iOS operating system is frozen, then pressing the sensor will not work. A different emergency reboot method was made for them:
- Press the power button and volume down button at the same time. Do not release and hold for about 6 seconds.
- The iPhone will reboot. The Apple logo appears. Then it will be loaded as usual.
This method allows you to force restart your iPhone or iPad when a software failure occurs. We advise you to use this procedure in case of emergency, and if you can get by with the remaining 2 methods, use them. Leave this one as a last resort.
Instruction “How to enable Assistive Touch in iOS”
- How to Restart iPhone to Normal Mode?
- Force restart iPhone
- How to restart iPhone without a button?
- Activating Assistive Touch
- Turn off iPhone using Assistive Touch
Turn off iPhone using Assistive Touch
As part of this manual, we will get acquainted with the method of turning off an iOS device without using the “Power” button using the Assistive Touch function.
- “Tap” on the Assistive Touch menu icon;
- In the menu of this function, “tap” on the “Device” icon, and then a long “tap” (touch the screen of the device and do not lift your finger) on “Screen lock” wait for the “Turn off” and “Cancel” buttons to appear;
- And then everything is like when you turn off the iPhone in normal mode, make a “swipe right” on the “Turn off” button. The device will start to turn off;
- How can you then turn it on if the off button is not working properly? Just connect your iPhone to your computer with a USB cable and it will turn on normally.
How to Restart iPhone. Normal Restart iPhone
- Press and hold for a few seconds (about 2-4 seconds), the power button “Power”, until the slider with the inscription “Turn off” appears.
- Drag the slider to the right to turn off iPhone.
- Press and hold the Power button again for a few seconds until the Apple logo appears.
If the iPhone is frozen and does not respond to the above-presented preboot method, it is necessary to perform a so-called hard reset of the iPhone.
How to activate Assistive Touch for full gesture control
- Open “Settings” then open the “General” tab then open “Non-versatile access”.
- In the opened tab “Accessibility” in the section “Interaction” click “Assistive Touch”.
Animated Assistive Touch activation instructions
How to Restart iPhone Without Buttons. Alternative Restart iPhone
Iphone can be operated without mechanical buttons. IOS engineers took into account cases in which mechanical buttons may not work (for example, breakdown), adding the ability to control a smartphone with just gestures.
To enable full gesture control on iPhone, you need to enable Assistive Touch. This function will allow you to fully control the iOS device using gestures, thereby relieving the user of interaction with mechanical control buttons.
How to restart iPhone with buttons. Hard reset iPhone
- Press and hold the Power and Home buttons simultaneously for a few seconds (approximately 5-10 seconds).
- Waiting for the Apple logo to appear will mean that the iPhone has been successfully restarted.
This method will allow you to “wake up” a seriously frozen iPhone, saving it from many system errors. But you should know that if you have the opportunity to perform a normal reboot, then to a hard reboot the iPhone is not recommended.
How to Restart iPhone. 3 Ways
The iPhone is a serious, powerful multitasking device that lets you run many applications at the same time. But still, there are exceptions when the iPhone starts to “freeze” or incorrectly execute commands. What to do if iPhone freezes? Restarting iPhone will help in such force majeure.
- How to Restart iPhone. Normal Restart iPhone
- How to restart iPhone with buttons. Hard reset iPhone
- How to Restart iPhone Without Buttons. Alternative Restart iPhone
- How to activate Assistive Touch for full gesture control
- How to turn off iPhone using Assistive Touch
How to turn off iPhone using Assistive Touch
- “Tap” on the translucent “Assistive Touch” button.
- In the menu that opens, click on the “Apparatus” icon, and then make a long press on the “Screen Lock” icon.
- After waiting for the “Turn off” and “Cancel” buttons to appear, drag the slider to the right to turn off the iPhone.
- In order to turn on the iPhone with non-working mechanical buttons, you need to connect the iOS smartphone to the computer using the Lightning / USB cable after which it will turn on.
The methods described above will allow you to restart your iPhone / iPad (or just turn it off) both in normal mode and in case of a serious iPhone freeze. Enabling Assistive Touch mode will allow you not only to turn off the iPhone if the mechanical buttons do not work, but also to fully control the smartphone without using the buttons, the exception concerns only turning on the iPhone (you need a computer).
Share in the comments how often you have to restart your iPhone and what methods have you used?
The most interesting news about Apple technology and not only.
- Help with Apple
- Instagram masks
- IOS and macOS apps
- IOS games
- Help with Apple
- Instagram masks
- IOS and macOS apps
- IOS games
How to turn on / off iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Pro / iPhone 11 Pro Max?
The number of buttons is getting smaller and this is both good and bad. Poor because it takes a little time to get used to new gestures.
But as soon as you get used to it, everything becomes very simple and clear. As practice shows, Apple changes only for the better.
If you have used the iPhone X even a little, then this information will not be new to you. However, there is another category of users.
Turning the device on and off:
- Power on iPhone 11/11 Pro / 11 Pro Max. You need to hold down the button on the right until the Apple logo appears. Then, after a few seconds, the device is turned on and everything is ready to work.
- Restart / Shutdown iPhone 11/11 Pro / Pro Max. In the case when your device is just a little, you can get by with a regular reboot.
Pull the half-knot to the right
To do this, you just need to hold down the same button on the right until the slider appears and then swipe it to the right side (this is also the shutdown process).
15-20 seconds pass and then you can turn on the device by holding the button on the right.
If this button does not work for some reason, you can always carry out this procedure through Settings. General. Disable.
How to turn on, turn off and restart iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max?
Freezing your iPhone, especially if it costs more than 1000, is not a pleasant case. Apple technology has never been 100 percent perfect and that’s a fact.
Therefore, sometimes it becomes necessary to reboot the device. If you do this on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max, then you already need to know a certain key combination.
Let’s go over in order how to properly turn on, turn off and, if necessary, hard restart your brand new iPhone 11.
Guide-Apple. How to Force Restart iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Pro / iPhone 11 Pro Max?
Situations can be completely different, especially if you are using the beta version of iOS and therefore, often a simple restart may not help.
After all, if the screen is completely frozen and you cannot do anything, then you have to resort to a hard reboot.
On iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, it is carried out in a very specific way:
- Press and release the button Volume up;
- Press and release the button Decrease the volume;
- Press and hold the button Locks (button on the right) until the recovery screen appears.
Restarting iPhone 11
As you probably guessed, the same method works for the iPhone Xs. Basically, it fits all iPhones with cutouts.
How to restart an iPhone 6
In order to restart the iPhone 6, you can use two methods.
The first one is designed to reboot the smartphone when it is in working order:
- You need to hold the power button for three seconds;
- Select the “Restart” button on the display;
- Wait while the smartphone performs these actions.
Then the iPhone 6 will reboot itself, the user does not need to do anything else.
If the smartphone is frozen, then an emergency reboot will help:
- You need to press the “Power” button and hold it;
- Press the “Home” button;
- Hold down two keys for a couple of seconds;
- Smartphone will automatically shut down.
After the steps taken, it remains to wait until the apple appears on the iPhone 6 display and it turns on by itself.
How to restart an iPhone 5
There are two ways to reboot iPhone 5.
The first method is suitable if the smartphone is working properly and the user can use it:
- You need to hold down the “Power” button, which is located in the upper right corner of the smartphone;
- Hold for a couple of seconds;
- It will be possible to make “Swipe” on the smartphone screen and reboot.
In this case, the smartphone will perform all the necessary operations on its own.
If the smartphone does not work or freezes during operation, you need to do the following:
- Hold down the “Power” key and the “Home” button for 7-8 seconds;
- After that, you need to wait until the apple appears on the display;
- If suddenly the apple does not appear, you need to hold the “power” key for three seconds.
This is how you can restart your iPhone 5.
Reasons for iPhone freezing
The iPhone can freeze for various reasons, here are the main ones:
- Errors inside iOS. Quite often, after system updates, the user encounters errors that lead to the smartphone freezing;
- Poor quality software. Some applications that are poorly optimized may cause the smartphone to freeze;
- Outdated version of the smartphone. Old smartphones from Apple can support the new iOS system, but there they can often freeze during operation;
- The smartphone’s memory is full;
- Installed a variety of visual effects that older smartphones cannot support and freeze during operation.
These are the main reasons that can affect smartphone performance. If the iPhone is frozen, then it needs to be restarted in order to return it to working condition. Unfortunately, not every user knows how to do this.
How to restart an iPhone 7
The iPhone 7. Is the first smartphone from Apple that has slightly non-standard reboot methods. The home button is now touch sensitive, so the reboot methods have changed.
If the smartphone is working normally, then the restart can be done as follows:
- You must hold the power button for a couple of seconds;
- A special window will appear in which you will need to press the restart key.
Now the smartphone will perform all the necessary actions on its own.
If the phone does not work, then you need to follow these steps to restart the iPhone 7:
- Simultaneously press the “Volume control” and “Home” keys;
- Wait 5-7 seconds for the smartphone to reboot.
If the iPhone 7 refuses to turn on in this case, then after the actions taken, you need to hold down the “Power” key until the branded apple appears on the screen.
How to force restart an iPhone
In order to forcibly restart the iPhone 6S and versions below, you need to do the following:
- Hold down the “Power” and “Home” buttons for 7-8 seconds;
- The smartphone screen will go out and an apple will appear on it;
- If it does not appear, you need to hold down the “power” key after the procedure, after which the smartphone will turn on.
In order to reboot the iPhone above version 6S, you need to perform slightly different manipulations:
- You need to hold down the “Power” key and the “Volume control” button, which is located on the right side of the device;
- Hold the keys for 6-7 seconds;
- The bull’s eye on the screen will light up, which will mark the return to stable operation of the device.
An emergency reboot is needed in order to return the smartphone to working condition if any unforeseen situation occurs.
How to restart an iPhone
An Apple phone, like any other smartphone, can freeze, which raises the question of how to restart an iPhone. On different iPhones, this is done in its own way, so it’s worth taking a closer look at specific models and ways to reboot them.
Iphone frozen and won’t turn off or restart
Usually, if the iPhone freezes, users try to turn it off or restart using the standard procedure, namely by long pressing the On / Lock button. Unfortunately, in most cases when the iPhone hangs, this shutdown method does not work. The iPhone continues to work and run frozen applications, regardless of how long the user presses the power button.
But, the iPhone has an alternative shutdown method that bypasses the iOS operating system. Thanks to this, this shutdown method works even on tightly frozen devices. The method consists in simultaneously pressing the “Home” button and the Power / Lock button.
Home and Power Buttons
Buttons “Home” and “Power on” must be pressed simultaneously and held until the frozen iPhone turns off. After turning off, you need to wait a few seconds and make a short single press on the power button. After that, the iPhone will turn on and start working as usual.
It should be noted that the key combination “Home Power on” is also responsible for taking a screenshot. But, to get a screenshot on these keys, you need to press literally for 1 second, if you hold the keys longer, then the anti-freeze protection will work and the iPhone will reboot.
If you have an iPhone X or newer, then you need to use the new reboot method.
What to do if iPhone is frozen
Freezing is a problem that any computer hardware faces. At some point, one of the programs begins to behave incorrectly or conflicts with another program, and as a result, the entire device is inoperative. This situation is called freezing.
Iphone is also prone to this issue and may freeze from time to time. Usually, when the iPhone freezes, it refuses to turn off or restart, which baffles the user. Most often old models freeze, such as iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5s and 6. But sometimes even iPhone 6s and 7 users face freezes.
If you find yourself in such a situation, then this material should help you, here you will learn what to do if your iPhone is frozen.
Iphone freezes when turned on
Pressing the Power On Home buttons at the same time allows you to turn the device off and on in any situation. However, this procedure does not guarantee that the iPhone will not freeze again during the startup process.
If your iPhone freezes before the device is fully loaded, then you can use the recovery mode called “Recovery Mode”. With its help, you can restore the original state of the iPhone and bring it back to life. But, it should be borne in mind that this procedure is equivalent to a reset to factory settings and leads to the deletion of all user data.
In order to enter Recovery Mode on iPhone and perform recovery, you need to do the following:
- Turn off your iPhone and wait a couple of minutes for all programs to finish their work. If the iPhone does not turn off in the standard way, then you can resort to the combination “Home Turn on” described above.
- Then you need to press the “Home” button and without releasing it, connect the iPhone to the computer via the Lightning cable.
- After connecting, continue to hold the Home button until the iTunes logo and cable image appear on the iPhone.
- Now you need to release the Home button and start iTunes on your computer.
- In the iTunes program, you need to go to the iPhone settings and click on the “Restore iPhone” button.
Restore iPhone button
Thus, you can solve the problem with the iPhone freezing during startup, but, as already mentioned, for this you will need to donate all user files. You can read more about Recovery Mode in our article on resetting iPad to factory settings.
Also on Apple devices there is a so-called DFU mode or Device Firmware Update. If the recovery mode does not help, then you can try to enter the iPhone into DFU mode and try the recovery again.
What to do if iPhone freezes and won’t turn off?
Yes, iPhones can freeze too. You may never come across this, but the fact remains. This is not a problem, however, as the device will most likely resume working after a restart. The problem is different. The iPhone cannot be disconnected or rebooted in the usual way. Accordingly, the question arises. What to do?
Indeed, if you press the POWER button, nothing happens.
Apple has come up with a way to reboot your device for situations like this. And it consists in this: you need to press not only the POWER button, but also the HOME button, and do it simultaneously! Thus, you press the keys and hold them for about 10-20 seconds until the screen goes out.
As soon as the screen goes out, you can release the keys. If suddenly the restart did not take place, while the screen went out, press the POWER button to turn on your device.
If holding the HOME and POWER buttons for 10-20 seconds does not help, hold them longer. In some cases, it may take a minute or more, but the device should restart.
Please note that this method works on all iPhones up to 5, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus. In the case of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, the process is slightly different. The fact is that Apple, starting with the indicated models, abandoned the physical HOME button, so the forced restart procedure has changed.
If you have an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, you need to hold down the POWER key and the volume down key, and hold them until the device restarts.
What if the HOME or POWER key doesn’t work? A forced reboot of a frozen device will not work. In this case, you only have one thing to do. Wait for the moment when the battery in the iPhone runs out, put it on charge and turn on the device in the usual way.
http://smartphonus.com/%D1%87%D1%82%D0%BE-%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%8C-%D0%B5 % D1% 81% D0% BB% D0% B8-iphone-% D0% B7% D0% B0% D0% B2% D0% B8% D1% 81 /