How to Reset Settings on Lenovo
This guide contains instructions on how to reset Windows 10 to factory settings, perform a reset, roll back to its original state, or, otherwise, automatically reinstall Windows 10 on a computer or laptop. It has become easier to do this than in Windows 7 and even in 8, due to the fact that the way the image is stored for reset in the system has changed and in most cases you do not need a disk or flash drive in order to perform the described procedure. If for some reason everything described does not work out, you can simply perform a clean install of Windows 10.
Resetting Windows 10 to its original state can come in handy in cases where the system began to work incorrectly or does not even start, and you cannot restore (on this topic: Restoring Windows 10) in another way. At the same time, reinstalling the OS in this way is possible with saving your personal files (but without saving programs). Also, at the end of the instructions, you will find a in which the described is shown clearly. Note: a description of the problems and errors when Windows 10 rolls back to its original state, as well as possible solutions, are described in the last section of this article.
Update: In recent versions of Windows 10, additional methods for resetting the system appeared, including removing all the programs preinstalled by the manufacturer of the computer or laptop. Automatic clean installation of Windows 10, Restoring Windows 10 from the cloud.
Reset Windows 10 in settings from the installed system
The easiest way to reset Windows 10 is to assume that the system starts up on your computer. If so, then a few simple steps allow you to perform an automatic reinstall.
- Go to Settings (via start and gear icon or WinI keys). Update and Security. Recovery.
- In the “Reset Your Computer” section, click “Start.” Note: if during recovery you are informed that there are no necessary files, use the method from the next section of this instruction. Also, an error may appear at this stage: Unable to find recovery environment.
- You will be prompted to either save personal files or delete them. Select an option.
- If you select the option to delete files, it will also offer either “Just delete files” or “Completely erase the disk.” I recommend the first option, unless you give the computer or laptop to another person. The second option deletes files without the possibility of their recovery and takes longer.
- In the “Everything is ready to return this computer to its original state” window, click “Reset”.
After that, the process of automatic reinstallation of the system will begin, the computer will restart (possibly several times), and after the reset you will get a clean Windows 10. If you selected “Save personal files”, the Windows.Old folder containing the files will also be on the system drive old system (user folders and desktop contents may come in handy there). Just in case: How to delete the Windows.Old folder.
Automatic clean installation of Windows 10 using the “New Start” (Refresh Windows Tool)
In the latest versions of Windows 10, a new function appeared in the recovery options. “New Startup” (formerly called the Refresh Windows Tool), which allows you to perform an automatic clean install or reinstall of Windows 10 with saving files, but with deleting the manufacturer’s pre-installed programs. Its use allows you to perform a reset when the first method does not work and reports errors.
- In the recovery options, at the bottom in the Advanced recovery options section, click Find out how to start over from a clean installation of Windows.
- You will be prompted to go to the corresponding page of the Windows 10 Security Center, click Yes.
- Click the “Get Started” button in the “New Startup” section.
- Check out what exactly is the Start Again function and, if you agree, click Next.
- Wait until Windows 10 is reset to factory settings.
Upon completion of the process (which may take a long time and depends on the computer’s performance, the selected parameters and the amount of personal data when saving), you will receive a fully re-installed and functional Windows 10. After logging in, I recommend that you also press WinR, enter cleanmgr press Enter, and then click on the “Clear system files” button.
With a high probability, when cleaning the hard disk, you can delete up to 20 GB of data left after the system reinstallation process.
How to reset Windows 10 if the system does not start or reset from the settings does not work
In cases where Windows 10 does not start or the reset does not work in the settings, you can try using the manufacturer’s tools or with the recovery environment.
If Windows 10 does not start, but shows a blue screen with an error, then clicking on the item “Advanced options”, you can get into the recovery environment. If the system starts, but you cannot reset the OS, go to Settings. Update and Security and click the “Restart Now” button in the “Special boot options” section.
After the reboot, go to the “Troubleshooting” section, and then click on the item “Restore the computer to its original state.”
Further, as well as in the first method described, you can:
- Save or delete personal files. If you select “Delete” it will also be offered either to completely clean the disk without the possibility of their recovery, or a simple removal. Usually (if you don’t give the laptop away to someone), it’s best to use simple removal.
- In the window for selecting the target operating system, select Windows 10.
- In the “Restore Computer” window, see what will be done. Uninstalling programs, resetting to default values and automatically reinstalling Windows 10 Click “Reset”.
After that, the process of resetting the system to its initial state will begin, during which the computer can restart.
If licensed Windows 10 was preinstalled on your device at the time of purchase, the easiest way to reset it to the factory settings is to use certain keys when you turn on your laptop or computer. Details on how to do this are described in the article How to reset a laptop to factory settings (suitable for branded PCs with a preinstalled OS).
The below shows both ways to start the automatic reinstallation of Windows 10 described in the article.
Windows 10 Factory Reset Errors
The first and simplest methods, if you encounter problems when resetting Windows 10 to the factory settings, consist of the following steps:
- Make sure there is enough free space on the system partition of the drive (on drive C). Ideally, 10 GB or more.
- Remove all third-party antiviruses and other protection programs before starting recovery.
If, when you try to reset Windows 10 after a reboot, you see the message “There is a problem returning the PC to its original state. The change has not been made, ”this usually indicates problems with the files necessary for recovery (for example, if you did something with the WinSxS folder, from which the files are reset). You can try checking and restoring the integrity of Windows 10 system files, but more often you have to do a clean installation of Windows 10 (however, you can also save personal data).
The second variant of the error is that you are asked to insert a recovery disk or installation drive. Then a solution appeared with the Start Again function described in the second section of this manual. Also in this situation, you can make a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 (on the current computer or on another one if this does not start) or a Windows 10 recovery disk with the inclusion of system files. And use it as the required drive. Use the version of Windows 10 with the same bit depth that is installed on the computer.
Another option in the case of the requirement to provide a drive with files is to register your own image for system recovery (for this the OS should work, actions are performed in it). I have not tested this method, but they write that it works (but only for the second case with an error):
- You need to download the ISO image of Windows 10 (the second method in the instructions here).
- Mount it and copy the file install.Wim from the sources folder to a pre-created folder ResetRecoveryImage on a separate partition or computer disk (not system).
- At the command prompt as administrator, use the command reagentc / setosimage / path “D: \ ResetRecoveryImage” / index 1 (here D stands as a separate section, you may have a different letter) for registering the recovery image.
After that, try to restart the system reset. By the way, for the future, you can recommend making your own backup of Windows 10, which can greatly simplify the process of rolling back the OS to a previous state.
Well, if you still have questions about reinstalling Windows 10 or returning the system to its original state. Ask. I also recall that for pre-installed systems, there are usually additional ways to reset to factory settings provided by the manufacturer and described in the official instructions.
And suddenly it will be interesting:
- Windows 10
- Router setup
- All about Windows
- Boot flash drive
- Virus treatment
- Data recovery
- Installation from a flash drive
- In contact with
Why not subscribe?
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from remontka.Pro. No ads and free computer assistance to subscribers from the author. Other methods of subscription (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Yandex.Zen)
03/16/2020 at 14:00
Hello. Can I reset the laptop to factory if it has pirated windows 10 pro (inactive). Like after a reset, will it even start with me?
03/16/2020 at 14:55
Hello. I can not answer the question. You can try it, but with a high probability you will be informed that the reset failed.
04/10/2020 at 14:49
Hello, is it possible to use a clean installation without a flash drive, using a computer as a drive, or using a phone together with a flash drive
04/10/2020 at 14:55
Modern phones do not know how to work as a drive, when you connect it, it works like a media device. Most computers, too, are not (although there are separate laptops with this capability, they are rare).
But: you can create a bootable USB flash drive on your phone: https://remontka.Pro/make-bootable-usb-on-android/
04/11/2020 at 14:45
I mean, if you download Windows to this computer and install from it, it’s possible to do this without a flash drive and without a disk, purely from your computer
04/11/2020 at 16:40
In general, yes, you can. Download, mount the disk, run setup.Exe. But the installation is not entirely clean.
04.24.2020 at 12:32
04.24.2020 at 15:11
Now dumping in 10-ke works just like that, i.E. The system that was, is no longer being restored, but the version that is now reset is reset.
Previously, on laptops, there was a hidden partition with the original system (you can see disk management), 10-20 gigabytes, where the original OS was stored and recovery from there could be started with the keys when you turned it on, but recently this hasn’t been “unnecessary”.
04.24.2020 at 15:30
Thank you, now everything is clear, health and take care of yourself and loved ones.
05/02/2020 at 19:35
The processor warms up to 100 degrees (it used to be at 60) after an incorrect shutdown. Will a system reset help?
Will it ever be possible to reset the system to a non-licensed, but activated version of Windows 10?
05/03/2020 at 11:16
Try a better recovery point, if any.
I don’t know about how the reset will take place and whether it will pass.
05/07/2020 at 16:05
Tell me, when resetting, programs will be deleted, and games too?
05/07/2020 at 18:02
Yes, because games are the same programs.
05.24.2020 at 03:57
Hello Dmitry. And if you choose the option to delete files, then the files will be deleted only on drive C or on drive D as well (are there regular files and there are installers)?
05.24.2020 at 09:59
Hello. In the process, you will be “asked” whether it is necessary to delete data from disk D. But in any case, carefully read everything that is written at each step.
05.24.2020 at 04:03
And if initially the laptop went without Windows and selected with full formatting, will there be a return to the previous Windows?
05.24.2020 at 09:58
Not to the past. The same Windows that will be installed now, only clean.
05.24.2020 at 21:51
Will the computer system files be reset? I have a Windows license. Will she fold?
05/25/2020 at 09:52
No, the license will not be reset, everything will be in order. This is like a normal reinstall. Whether system files will be reset is not entirely clear what you mean. Yes, they will be “clean”. If you changed some system files manually, they will be restored.
06/04/2020 at 17:53
Hello Dmitry. My hp laptop does not start. I can’t reinstall Windows 10 from the last recovery point and it doesn’t give others options, tell me how to restart the system provided that the auto recovery does not work and the usb bootloader is with Windows 8.1 version taken from a friend? Thanks for the reply in advance.
06/05/2020 at 12:58
And the option to reset the system to its original state in the menu (which with blue tiles) also does not appear or does not work?
In general, what happens when you try to boot? What error is it reporting? It’s quite possible that you can fix it somehow manually (you can search for errors on my website by the text and generally on the Internet, if I don’t have one).
Reviews, firmware, repair of Lenovo smartphones, laptops and tablets
- When is a full reset necessary?
- Reset using the menu
- Resetting in a more complicated way
When is a full reset necessary?
There are several reasons why lenovo hard reset is needed. For example, if it was decided to sell a smartphone. In this case, it should be prepared, get rid of applications and programs that were installed during operation. Often, users are faced with situations when the phone starts to slow down, and by rebooting it is not possible to achieve the desired effect. It happens that the display is locked with a graphic key, and the code necessary for unlocking is lost. The described situations require a complete reset to return to the factory settings.
Before deciding on such a step, you should know how to hard reset on lenovo, and also remember that all current data from the device’s memory, including the phone book, will be lost. Therefore, it is recommended that you first rewrite important numbers and information, or copy them to a memory card.
Resetting using the menu
The easiest way is to use the Settings menu. Just go to it and select the appropriate section. By clicking “Reset Settings”, the phone will do everything by itself.
However, most often this need arises in cases where there is no access to the menu. For example, the device is stuck and does not show signs of life, does not respond to commands. In such a situation, there is no choice but to use the instructions below.
Resetting in a more complicated way
To perform a hard reset on Lenovo, you must perform the following sequence of actions:
- The phone turns off.
2. At the same time, the “Power” key is pressed, as well as the volume control (immediately “up” and “down”). They are held until the Recovery menu appears on the display.
3. When using the button for adjusting the volume level, the transition to the wipe data / factory reset option is performed. To confirm your choice, use the “Power” key.
4. After that, a window will appear on the screen where the line Yes. Delete all user data is selected. This is a confirmation of a hard reset to the factory version.
5. After the Lenovo hard reset is completed, the smartphone restarts. There are such models in which automatic restart is not provided. In this case, you have to commit it forcibly.
After turning on the device, the settings will already be reset. As a result, the user will receive a “clean” smartphone, as it was immediately after purchase. In this case, braking and other malfunctions should disappear. If this does not happen, you will have to contact the service center for specialists to carefully examine the device. It is possible that the reason is not in the hardware. The possibility of failure of one of the internal elements cannot be ruled out. If so, you cannot do without its replacement.