How to Remove Google From Phone
Removing a Google account from a smartphone: how to do this without losing data, how to get around possible troubles during the deletion process; what to do if standard tools do not help.
Why remove a Google account from your phone
All Android smartphones have a pre-installed application package from Google. Gmail, Youtube, Google Chrome and others. However, not everyone needs these programs, despite the convenience of a single Google account. At some point, the disadvantages of using this package outweigh the benefits, and the user decides to delete the account and all the data associated with it from his phone.
Already at this stage, difficulties may arise. For example, the phone may prohibit the deletion of the last account attached to it, or affect the necessary data when deleting. Therefore, in order not to create additional failures and not lose valuable information, for a start it is worth assessing the advantages and disadvantages of using a Google account.
Google Account Benefits:
Negative aspects of using a Google account:
- Constant collection of information. Google has officially announced that it collects certain user data. This is done to improve the algorithms of targeted advertising, but the users themselves are not sure about it. If the company can (and receives) some personal information, then it will probably be able to get other valuable data related to the owner of the phone.
- Google applications are often updated, and most of them constantly work in the background. This consumes free RAM and battery power. For flagship smartphones, this is not so critical, but on budget models, such resource consumption by unused applications is felt quite acutely.
Can I delete my Google account without resetting it?
There are several methods of deleting a Google account from a smartphone that are different in their complexity. Both quite “soft” and quite dramatic. Choosing the right option depends on the conditions in which you need to delete the account. For example, if access to the device is completely lost, then only a full reset to factory settings will work, but if you can unlock the phone screen, you can get by with the “easy” removal option.
Negative effects of deleting a Google account
In addition, when you delete a Google account from your phone, access to your bookmarks in Google Chrome, YouTube subscriptions, saved data in Google Drive, etc. Will be lost. All information, of course, will be stored in the account itself, but it will be more difficult to get it from the phone.
How to delete accounts if there are several of them in the list
The system can be linked to multiple accounts at once, not necessarily from Google. Each of them can be removed in a “mild” way, described below.
If the smartphone refuses to delete the last account attached to it, use the trick with connecting an empty account that was just created. Otherwise, only resetting to factory settings will help.
How to delete a Gmail account
The most “harmless” and easiest way to delete a Google account is using the standard account settings.
- Go to the phone’s basic settings (usually this is the “Settings” item in the application list or the gear in the upper right corner of the screen when the top curtain is open).
- Select the “Accounts”, “Accounts” or “Users and Accounts” section (the name of the section depends on the version of Android).
- Find your Google account linked to your phone, click on it, and select “Delete Account” (or “Delete account record” on Samsung).
- If the phone does not have other linked accounts, you will need to enter a PIN code, password or pattern.
Prompt: sometimes the system refuses to delete the last account tied to the smartphone. In this case, you can bind another account to it (for example, you can create it specifically for this purpose), and then delete the previous one.
This method removes only the account itself from the system. All settings and data associated with it will be saved on the device.
If this option is not suitable, and more thorough cleaning of the smartphone is required, you can perform the so-called hard reset (reset):
- Go to “Settings” (For Samsung. “General settings”) phone.
- Find the section that says “Reset” or “Backup” in its name. It might be called “Backup and Reset”, “Restore and Reset”, or “Backup”. The name and location of this settings item depends on the version of the system and model of the smartphone. The task is to find the “Reset Settings”, “Reset with Restore Factory Settings” section or something like that.
- Press the reset button and confirm your intentions several times by clicking “Yes” and “Agree”.
- After the reboot, the smartphone will boot in a clean, factory state. It will not save account information, and all personal data will be deleted.
If you don’t have access to the smartphone’s settings (for example, you forgot your password or graphic key), you can reset the device by long pressing the “Reset” button recessed into the case. For security reasons, in most modern phones it is located under the back cover.
How to reset the settings on Samsung, read here.
If you needed to delete a Google account from your phone, the task can have two contexts: deleting the account from the Android phone settings (so that it is not tied to it and deleting happened only on this phone) or completely deleting the Google account (so that it could not be used on any devices). Both are easy to do on your device.
This guide details how to completely remove a Google account from your phone in the first and second scenario. Removal will be demonstrated on pure Android, as well as on a Samsung smartphone.
- Deleting a Google account on an Android phone (with a clean system)
- How to delete a Google account on Samsung
Deleting a Google Account on an Android Phone
As already noted, you may need one of two things: deleting an account on only one phone, while you must continue to use it in the future, or completely deleting your Google account without the possibility of using it elsewhere. Let’s start with the first one.
How to delete an account from a specific Android phone (untie the phone from the account)
On a clean Android system, the steps will look like this (in your case, the interface may be slightly different, but the essence will remain the same):
- Go to Settings. Accounts.
- Click on your Google account in the list of accounts.
- Click the “Delete Account” button.
- To confirm, you may need to enter a pattern, password or otherwise confirm that it is you who delete the account.
After that, the Google account will be deleted from the phone’s settings and from Google applications (such as the Play Store, Gmail and others). If other accounts are displayed in the list of accounts that need to be deleted, repeat the same actions with them.
In the situation when you are preparing the phone for transfer to another person, after deleting the account and unlinking from the Google account, it may make sense to completely reset the phone to the factory settings and delete all data: this is usually available in the “System”. “Reset settings” settings section.
How to completely remove your Google account from your phone
If you need to not only remove the account from the settings of your phone, but also completely delete the Google account (so that it cannot be used anywhere else), on an Android phone with a clean system, you can do this as follows:
- Go to Settings. Google.
- Click on “Google Account.” On the next page, go to the “Data and Personalization” tab.
- Scroll down the page and find the “Delete service or account.”
- On the next screen, under “Delete Google Account”, click “Delete Account”.
- Confirm account deletion by entering your password and click “Next”.
- The last step is to read the warning before deleting your account, which will describe in detail what will be deleted. It will be necessary to read (scroll) the page to the end, mark the points of consent to liability and “Yes, I want to permanently delete the Google account and all data stored in it”, and then click the “Delete account” button.
After clicking the button, the Google account will be completely deleted not only from the Android phone, but also from the company’s servers.
How to delete a Google account on a Samsung phone
If you have a Samsung Android phone, deleting a Google account from it (as well as other accounts, including your own Samsung account) is not much more difficult, except that there are slight differences in the interface.
How to Unlink Google Account from Samsung Phone
If you just need to delete your Google account and other accounts from your phone without deleting them completely (i.E. They will remain on the servers and you can use these accounts on another phone or computer), you can do this:
- Go to Settings. Accounts and Archiving.
- On the next screen, click “Accounts” at the top.
- Select a Google account or any other, click on it.
- Click “Delete Account.”
- Confirm the deletion of the account and all data associated with it. You may need to enter a password or unlock key.
Please note: if you select a Samsung account, then to delete it, you will need to click on the menu button on the right and select “Delete account” there.
How to completely delete a Google account on Samsung
If you want to completely get rid of your Google account on a Samsung Android phone so that it will be impossible to log into it from any devices (close your account forever), the steps will be almost the same as for the case of “clean” Android:
- Go to Settings and select Google.
- Click on “Google Account”, and then go to the “Data and Personalization” tab.
- Find the “Download, delete and plan” section, click on the “Delete a service or account” item.
- Click “Delete Account” under “Delete Google Account.”
- Enter your account password and click “Next”.
- Read the warning about deletion and what kind of data will be deleted, at the bottom, set two consent marks and click the “Delete account” button.
With this, your Google account will be completely deleted not only from your Samsung phone, but also from Google’s servers.
In conclusion. A where everything described above is shown clearly.
If you encounter any problems while uninstalling, please report them in the comments, there may be a solution.
And suddenly it will be interesting:
- Windows 10
- Router setup
- All about Windows
- Boot flash drive
- Virus treatment
- Data recovery
- Installation from a flash drive
- In contact with
Why not subscribe?
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from remontka.Pro. No ads and free computer assistance to subscribers from the author. Other methods of subscription (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Yandex.Zen)
08/24/2019 at 08:57
On a smartphone, an unknown / forgotten Google account is deleted not by resetting the program settings, but by resetting the android.
08/24/2019 at 10:03
We are not talking about dumping and forgotten accounts, but rather about removal before the sale or complete removal from Google’s servers. And on your topic, I also have a and an article, since 2013. Since then, by the way, FRP can interfere.
05/11/2020 at 08:12
Deleted an account, but still pops up not completely disappearing from a hundred
How to remove?