How to Install Windows on Android
Most users of devices running on the Android mobile platform are quite happy with them. This system is multifunctional. It has many capabilities and provides the user with freedom of action.
For some reason, users want to reinstall the current operating system or install an alternative, for example, the well-known Windows in a phone or tablet. Let’s see how to install Windows on android?
There are only two main ways to install Windows on an Android tablet or smartphone through an emulator, or completely reflash a device by installing a new mobile platform on it.
The first case is suitable for combining the capabilities of both systems. The emulator will allow you to switch between them, which is useful if the user does all this just to get the opportunity to play your favorite game in an environment unusual for it.
At the same time, a full replacement of the OS is also not always available. A processor that does not support the work of products from Microsoft may be installed on a smartphone / tablet.
Will the processor allow replacing the android with windows 8 or 7, by viewing the “passport data” on your device. It is also important to remember that the OS in question requires more memory than Android, so it is not recommended to install it on a cheap smartphone and tablet.
Before you put Windows on android, you need to determine your priorities, and based on them, choose one of the above methods or use an alternative option:
QEMU emulator features
To start any Windows 9x through QEMU, you must do the following:
- Download the emulator installation file itself. SDLapp.Apk (1.4 Mb) and install.
- Then you need to download the SDL.Zip archive with the BIOS and drivers of the installed system. Unzip it to the root directory sdcard.
- Download the finished Windows 9x disk image, either using UltraISO or another program with similar functions, make a boot disk from an existing distribution.
- Place a copy of the finished disk image in the SDL folder.
- Launch the application.
If there is a lack of experience in conducting such operations, I advise you to use the Windows 95 disk image, because the 98th version will bring additional troubles. In these old systems you will have to use the on-screen keyboard. Mouse clicks are made with sound keys.
It’s a little more difficult to double-click, to make it easier, activate the desired one and press the menu button. It plays the role of Enter here, and the back button replaces Esc. The cursor will obey the keys.
You will need to embed a set of all the necessary programs in the disk image D, this is done as follows:
- Download the Qemu_HDD.Rar archive with clean disk images from w3bsit3-dns.com/forum/index.php?Showtopic=201368.
- Using the WinImage program, move all the necessary data to a disk image of the required size.
- Give the image a new name. D.Img and add a copy to the SDL folder.
- Add this chain to the sdl.Conf file: /sdl.L.M 128.Boot c.Hda C.Img.Hdb D.Img.Usb.Usbdevice tablet.
- Reboot, start Windows and the program from disk D.
- It is not easy to achieve clear clicks.
- Both the network connection and the Internet do not work
- Poor screen resolution.
- Unable to tune sound.
- Incorrect time display.
- There is no one to ask for help. There is no support.
Forces of the BOCHS emulator
This program among such applications is considered the most convenient. It does not have as many problems as in the previous version. The mouse functions normally and, on the whole, everything else works more stable. Any kind of Windows you can use, but I will not advise you to run heavy system options. The speed will be depressing. Light distributions like Windows XP will more or less pull it.
- The installation file Bochs2_5_1.Apk (1.2 Mb) is located here: w3bsit3-dns.com/forum/index.php?Showtopic=286472st = 100, in the same place get the SDL_for_BOCHS.Zip archive, which will bring the BIOS and drivers.
- Unpack to the list of the root directory sdcard, in the SDL folder.
- Download the disk image of the desired system, you can turn the distribution program into a boot disk with a special program.
- Transfer a copy of the image to the SDL folder.
- Make a program start.
The mouse and other keys are controlled as in the program described above, but double-clicking here will work fine.
On this emulator, you can start using programs without creating an image. But the fact is that he has the ability to directly access the drive of an Android device. To implement this, you need to add this chain to the bochsrc.Txt file:
- Weak speed.
- The network connection does not work.
- Stability at a good level.
- Convenient mouse control.
- There is a tuning sound card.
- Any version of Windows can be started.
- The creators provide technical assistance if needed.
With this application, you can “revive” the famous DOS system for Android with many ageless games. In addition, Windows 9x can be launched through it.
- Download aDosBox_v0.2.5.Apk file (1.8 Mb), install.
- Next, find config-adosbox.Rar and download.
- From the archive, you will need to transfer a copy of dosbox-0.74.Conf to the /sdcard/appdata/org.Hystudio.Android.Dosbox/.Dosbox folder. It will occur when the application is installed.
- Then you need a Windows 9x installation disc. You can get either a ready-made version or do it yourself. Locate it in the root of the sdcard.
- Time to run the application.
Noteworthy features of the program:
- Better image quality, no black border.
- Mouse operation is better than in the same QEMU.
Sometimes inappropriately, a mouse may work when it is moved.
Full Windows on Android
At the moment there are two popular mobile versions of Windows. 7 and 8, the method of installation is approximately identical. However, version 7 is overweight and slow, and version 8 is still fully supported by the developer, so many people prefer replacing android with windows 8. Downloading the eighth version of Windows is three, or even four times faster than Windows 7.
The process will require:
- USB mouse
- External DVD drive, you can use a bootable USB flash drive instead
- USB hub
- USB-Ethernet adapter, in case Windows cannot detect the Wi-Fi adapter installed on the device.
A new platform will be installed from bootable media. A disk or a flash drive. You can use for this both the existing distribution kit and the image downloaded from the Internet, which will need to be written to disk using Nero applications or analogues.
Also using the Download Tool 1.0. Or other applications of a similar purpose, you can make a bootable USB flash drive. You can use the UltraISO, Media Creation Tool, Rufus, Media Creation Tool for this purpose. It is important to remember that this will require a space of 8 GB.
Here’s how I do it all with the popular Rufus program:
- From the official website of the program, I download, install and open it.
- In the “Device” subsection, the drive for recording the image will be visible.
- You must specify the path to the Windows image.
- Automatically, in the “Partition Scheme” subsection, the boot method for the media will change: MBR (for Legacy / CSM) or GPT (for UEFI).
- As soon as the distribution is selected, all remaining values will also be mechanically filled.
- It remains to click on “Start”, confirm the intention and wait for the completion of the operation.
It should be added that starting with Rufus 3, creating bootable media for Windows XP will not work, you can only do this for 7.8 and 10 variants of Windows.
Here are the steps in the installation process:
- Be sure to reserve all the most important things on the tablet.
- Connect the mouse, keyboard and USB flash drive to the USB ports of the tablet.
- After rebooting, press the F key to activate the UEFI boot mode.
- After clicking on Setup, select the flash drive with which to start. The tablet documentation contains details of this procedure.
- Having selected the media, it is necessary to mark the item “Full installation”.
- Further phases of the process will also be similar to those required when installing Windows on a computer. The C drive should be formatted. Its full size will appear. For drives C and D, you will need to allocate different partitions. As a result of this process, the Android operating system will be replaced by the newly installed Windows axis.
- To finish, click on “OK” and confirm.
- You can start a new system.
Additionally, you need to download drivers for the functioning of the Wi-Fi adapter, touch screen and for the rest of the system. There are times when the system starts to work without such additional driver populations.
How to use both Windows and Android on a tablet?
For Windows to be located near Android, the tablet must have a UEFI axis. After all, Recovery Mode will not allow the use of a different axis. Upon completion of the installation of the second system on a tablet that meets the requirements, the dual boot mode will appear. When the device starts up, a menu will appear with the option to select the system to boot. The two systems will coexist peacefully.
Let me remind you that you should pay utmost attention, because it is impossible to cancel the process of implementing the dual-boot program that has begun.
Before starting the procedure, you need to take care of creating a backup copy of the data on Android for safety reasons. Save all this on some separate media, using a special program on the device or using a third-party utility. Then you should start to work:
- Connect a flash drive with software to the device.
- In the UEFI settings, select bootable media.
- Install Windows using the same rules as for a similar operation on your home computer.
- Make an additional download of all the necessary drivers so that the system can work without problems.
With a very successful set of circumstances, you may not need to search for drivers. You can immediately use the new Windows system alternately with Android on a tablet computer.