How to install Wi-Fi on your phone. Connecting WI-FI on your phone
My phone can’t connect to wifi. The internet is not working. Why and what to do?
On modern phones, the ability to make cell phone calls, this is just one of the functions. And for many, this feature is not the most requested. What we mostly do on our smartphone? Watching videos, sitting in social networks, chatting in messengers, browsing, playing etc. д., And for this we need a connection to the Internet. And when the phone is not connected to Wi-Fi, and the mobile Internet is very slow, expensive, or not available at all. it’s a whole tragedy. The phone without internet, as well as the computer. it is unclear why they need it
I may be exaggerating a bit, but that’s pretty much it. All Android (Samsung, Lenovo, Huawei, Xiaomi, Sony, Asus, Meizu, etc.) and iOS (Apple iPhone) phones require an internet connection. At least to configure, update programs and the system, synchronize, etc. д. Right now, there’s no problem with that. Almost every home has a Wi-Fi router, which gives out a wireless network. There are open Wi-Fi networks from neighbors, and plenty of open networks from shopping malls, cafes, stores, and other places. Even subways, trains, buses and airplanes have Wi-Fi. You can even stay online without mobile internet.
But very often the phone just does not want to connect to Wi-Fi. It’s not just open, public networks (where the problem is usually on the network side itself) that have this problem. But with home Wi-Fi as well. Usually there are problems with the connection to a particular network. And sometimes your smartphone just works with the router, then disconnects from it and no longer connects. Or it refuses to connect after changing the router, some settings, installing programs, etc. д.
We will consider solutions for Android phones. If you have an iPhone, see this article iPhone or iPad can’t connect to Wi-Fi and what to do if your iPhone (iPad) can’t see Wi-Fi.
Phone as a router
Consider the first option, which may well replace the USB-modem, which are usually offered in communication stores.
- In the menu it is necessary to open the item “Settings”.
- Select the subitem “Network” in it.
- It is necessary to click “Modem and access point”.
- Go to the menu “WI-FI access point”.
- Choose “set up an access point”.
- Write the name of the network in Latin (eg, Nirvana) in the “SSID network.
- If you will have a network without sharing, then leave the default profile in the “Security” item.
- Then in the item “Password” enter 8 or more characters that are easy for you to remember.
- It is necessary to click “Save”.
In order to use your phone as a router, you need to run the configured access point on it. After saving you will activate the item “Set up the access point” again. Now you need to do the following:
- mark in this item to start the point;
- to confirm the request;
- Scan the available networks on your computer or laptop;
- Connect to the created network, entering the password in advance;
- after Windows notifies you that you are connected, you can start working.
In the second option, we will look at how to set up your phone as a router using the FoxFi app. This application has been developed specifically for Android applications. The easiest option is to download it from Google Play. This application allows you to make the most of the modem on your phone and achieve better performance.
The advantage of this program is that it will allow you to use the Bluetooth channel if there is no WI-FI on the receiving computer. Menu settings are quite clear, the names of items correspond to similar settings in the router. With the tick in the first item is activated access point mode on the phone. In the second item it is possible to assign a name to your network. The password is respectively entered in the third line. In the fourth item the switching on of the Internet distribution via Bluetooth is made. With the help of programs like WI-FI HotSpot (WI-FI Tether) is possible the third option, how to configure phones with the router function. The easiest way to find the software is also Google Play. The settings are made similarly to FoxFi, the context of the menu is more understandable in connection with the Russification.
Connecting an Android phone to Wi-Fi
First of all we need to activate the Wi-Fi module on the phone. In Android you can do this with a widget, which can be placed on one of the desktops, or you can go to the settings and drag the slider to the right of the Wi-Fi sign to the On position.
Widget where you can activate Wi-Fi:
After we have turned on Wi-Fi, the phone itself should find the wireless networks available for connection. In order to see them, you need to go back to the settings and click on the inscription itself Wi-Fi (which is near the switch).
This is interesting: Why has the Internet stopped working through the Wi-Fi router? The main breakdowns of routers
Click on the network to which you want to connect your phone. If the network is password-protected, enter the password and press “Connect” to connect.
If you’ve done everything correctly, and entered the correct password, your phone or tablet should connect to the wireless Wi-Fi network. I hope my advice comes in handy for someone.
How to connect a cell phone to WI-FI and the Internet
You have an Android phone or tablet and a modem on which you have set up WI-FI? You want to connect to WI-FI from your phone and surf the web, but the phone cannot connect to the network? When trying to connect, the status of getting an IP address is constantly hanging? On the phone it says WI-FI network is connected, but the Internet cannot be accessed?
Let us consider the variants of solution of this problem. Most of today’s smartphones, communicators and tablets run on the Android operating system. We will deal with the Android 4 version.0.3.
By default the settings of the wireless network receive the settings automatically, but this option is not always suitable. For such cases it is possible to specify the IP address, DNS and gateway manually.
You need to enter the settings of your phone as shown by the arrow on the picture. For tablets and cell phones with another version of Android the process of entering the settings may be slightly different, but I think it will not be difficult to figure out.
After pressing you will see the tabs: Wallpaper, Apps and Settings. Go to Settings.
As you can see in the picture below. WI-FI is on. Click on the place indicated by the red arrow to display the available access points (modems with Wi-Fi) to which you can connect. Among them, we will see your network.
To register the DNS servers, IP address and gateway, disconnect from the WI-FI. To do this, click on the name of the WI-FI network, in my case it is Dlink.
Next, enter all the necessary data and only then connect to the WI-FI.
After you click on the network, network settings will be opened. Here you can see the signal strength, communication speed, network security, and the password field.
The picture below shows the steps, from the first to the fourth item to be passed.
- Enter the WI-FI password. This is the key you enter in the settings of your modem or router with the WI-FI. If you have an open network, there is no password field.
- To open the advanced network settings, put a checkmark in front of the word Advanced, as shown in the picture below. After checking the box, you will see the following items: Proxy settings and IP, DHCP settings.
- Next, click on DHCP.
- An additional tab opens, click Custom.
In the IP-address: 192.168.1.7 or 192.168.0.7.
The last digit of the IP address (in my case I wrote a seven) can be different, and the other digits should correspond to the ones your router is accessible by.
If you enter this data on two or more devices, the last digit of the IP address of each device must be different.
If you want to take care of your security, fast and stable speed or just set up the phone for the child, it is better to specify a secure Yandex DNS.
How to connect WI-FI on your Windows Phone
If you have a phone with the operating system Windows Phone, then in order to connect WI-FI you need to open the list of all programs and find there “Settings”.
Wireless networks have made it possible for us to have access to unlimited and high-speed Internet through mobile devices. That’s why today we decided to talk about how to connect to a Wi-Fi router and describe what mishaps may await us. Also we will consider the possibility of remote access to the phone via a laptop or desktop computer, if the devices are in the same network.
First of all we will discuss the connection itself. At the moment every, even the cheapest phone has a wireless adapter. Basically, the phones with Android operating system are used now, on the example of which we will show you how to connect your smartphone to the Wi-Fi router.
- Before you try to connect, of course, you will need to connect the point of distribution and configure it, if necessary. If all this has already been done once, all that is left to do now is to turn on the router and wait for the download to complete. Next we will already conduct the connection to the router phone.
- Unlock and on the home screen find the settings icon or menu and already in it. settings: everyone can be different, because now there are many shells from different companies. The screenshot shows the sequence on a pure Android version 5.
- Inside we are interested in the item labeled Wi-Fi. There we can find the switch that activates the adapter on the phone.
- After clicking on this switch in front of you will open a list of networks with which it is possible to connect your smartphone to the Internet via Wi-Fi router.
- Once you have selected one of the networks, you will have to enter the password that protects it. If you don’t know what your password is yet, you can look it up on the box under the router, or on the sticker on the device itself. Next, you will see a notification that the connection was successful and you can now use the Internet.
For some, the on/off switch is by default located on one of the switches in the so-called curtain, which is invoked by swiping down from the top of the home screen.
This is the only and correct way to connect your phone to the Wi-Fi router.
Remote access via Wi-Fi
Another interesting possibility. Connecting a smartphone to the computer via a Wi-Fi router. To do this, both devices must be in the same network and a special program must be installed on the smartphone. It gives a possibility to have access to phone files without unnecessary wires. We will continue to give examples based on the same Android OS version 5.
- To start, you need to have the program on your phone. Which can be downloaded from the market.
- Now connect your computer and phone to the network. Open the explorer on your phone and swipe left to right to open the menu. Here we are interested in the submenu “Network”.
- In the opened list select “Remote access”.
- On the next page we are interested in the “Enable” button. After you have clicked on it, you will see a window with the address. this is the address we need on your PC.
- Go to PC, open “My computer” and at the top, similar to the browser, find the line for the address. there and enter the address values.
- After entering press “Enter”. and you will see the content of the phone. When you want to stop using this function, do not forget to press the “Turn off” button in the settings in the Explorer menu of your phone.
Now that we’ve looked at how to connect your phone to a router via Wi-Fi, and we’ve even learned how to access it remotely, we’ll look at what problems can arise during the connection.
Problems during the connection
So, let’s see, the router. It can be a malfunction in the software on one side or the other, which can be treated by a banal reboot.
If after it did not change anything, it is possible that you do not quite correctly enter a password or you have not correctly configured the point of distribution. Always enter the password carefully, taking care to respect the case and language of the keyboard.
Still can not log in? There are two possibilities. either there is something wrong with your phone or with your router. It is necessary to check the phone by trying to connect to any network, and if everything is fine, then the problem is in the router: check the giveaway point, trying to connect from another device.
If the problem is already in your phone, then you may need to go to the service center or reset to factory settings, and if the router, then the same reset or buy a new hotspot.
We hope that we have told you in sufficient detail how to connect your smartphone to the router via Wi-Fi, and now you will never have any problems with this procedure again.
Turning on Wi-Fi on Android
To configure the wireless Internet, you must first start the Wi-Fi module. This is done by clicking on the wireless connection icon in the notification bar in the status bar. Slide your finger down the screen from top to bottom, select the icon in the right corner, find the Wi-Fi icon among the icons that popped up and tap on it.
If for some reason you cannot use this scheme, enable access in the settings menu. Go to Settings → Wireless Networks → Wi-Fi → Enable.
Then select the network you wish to connect to. When using the status bar, press the connection icon for a few seconds, then you will see a list of available connections. If it is encrypted, type in the access password. Check the “Remember” box if you are going to use it regularly.
If you enabled access through the preferences menu, go to the Wi-Fi menu next to the enable slider, and then you’ll see the available connections. Perform the above operations.
Follow these steps to set up your phone to connect to the new network. If you are within range of a memorized connection, the device can connect you automatically.
If you use Wi-Fi mostly at home, you can set up the Internet directly through your router. There is a WPS secure communication button in any of them, allowing you to connect any device over an encrypted signal. To use this function, you must:
- Go to Settings → Wireless Networks → Wi-Fi, click on the icon in the form of two circular arrows.
- The system will prompt you to press the WPS button on your router. Follow that requirement.
- After a while the connection will be established.
This method is relevant only at home, because you do not need to enter the password every time. Of course, you can’t use it in a cafe or a store.
To provide Internet access to other Wi-Fi enabled devices, you can set up your smartphone as an access point.
Warning. This app greatly reduces battery life. It is recommended that you use this app with the charger connected.
Note. To use this feature, you must subscribe to the Wi-Fi hotspot service. Contact your service provider for more information.
To set up your smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, follow these steps:
Tap Settings Advanced Modem mode and Mobile hotspot Portable Wi-Fi hotspot. to turn on the access point.
Tap Configure Wi-Fi hotspot. to change the security settings and configuration of the access point:
Network name. enter a unique name for the access point and tap Next.
Security. select the type of security you want: WEP, WPA, or WPA2. Enter your unique password. Others can only access your Wi-Fi hotspot if you enter the correct password.
Note. Keep your password secure. To protect your smartphone and access point from unauthorized access, it is strongly recommended to configure Access Point Security (WPA2 is the most secure technology), including the password.
Tap Save after setup is complete.
When a Wi-Fi hotspot is active, you can connect other Wi-Fi-enabled devices to it by entering the hotspot’s SSID, choosing a security type, and entering the correct password.
Your Android phone can’t connect to Wi-Fi: Causes and solutions
Trivial, but still sometimes happens: check if the router is off, if the WI-FI icon is lit on it, if all the cables are firmly in their sockets, if the phone is not put into air mode. If everything is fine, check what kind of connection problem is occurring.
Wi-Fi is connected, but says “no internet access”
- The router is really not connected to the network at the moment or is malfunctioning. It needs to be restarted. you can ask the staff to do this, if it is a restaurant or cafe. Or you can do it yourself: it is recommended to disconnect the power cord for 2-3 minutes, at the same time check whether the Internet and Ethernet cables are tightly plugged in their s.
- You are too far away from the router and it just “does not reach” your device. Try relocating. If you are at home, put the router somewhere else, maybe there is an obstacle in the signal path.
- You did not complete the connection to the network. Many public networks require that you authenticate the user on a special page that comes up after you have clicked on the “connect” button. You may not have allowed the page to open. In this case, find the network in the list of available networks, click on it and select “Delete”. Reconnect and wait for the start page to open, where you will need to enter your phone number and a password, which will come with it. If the page does not open automatically, go to the browser, installed on the phone by default, and try to open any page. you should see a window for authorization.
- Wrong date and time settings on your phone. Check your settings, make sure the data is correct.
- You have a problem with the IP address. Go to the list of networks and click on the one you want with a long press. Select “Change Network,” then “Advanced Settings. Set the IP setting here to “custom” and enter 192.168.1.X (where X1) (make sure it fits you by looking at the label on your router. There will definitely be its IP address. The phone’s address will be the same digits except for the last one, which you can choose to suit your taste.)
- It is possible that in spite of the free network, the internet is only delivered to the IP/MAC addresses of the device defined by the administrator, i.e.е. You can’t connect without knowing the administrator.
- The connection may be blocked by a “security software”: firewall or antivirus. Try to disconnect them.
Your phone doesn’t connect to Wi-Fi, but your computer does
This suggests that the problem is not with the router or ISP, but with the device itself. You may have a clogged connection and your router is just not able to handle many devices. Try to turn off the Internet on your PC or laptop and connect only from your phone.
The easiest way to solve the problem: Reboot your phone. If that does not help, delete the network. To do this, go to the list of available WI-FI, long tap on the screen next to the name of your network, bring up the list and click “delete this network” (optional: “forget network”). Along with it will be deleted all the settings: memorized IP-address, DNS and other settings. Then find the desired network again and connect to it by entering the password.
If this did not help, find “Reset Mobile Internet, WI-FI, Bluetooth” in the “Phone settings”. It can be located in the “System” or in the “Advanced” section. Reset your settings, reboot your phone and try to connect again.
All in vain? Get an antivirus app on your phone and check it. Malware can deliberately block access to the Internet, or break access due to certain settings.
Writes “saved” but no connection, authentication error
If you are trying to connect to a public network in a restaurant or airport, for example, the explanation can be very simple and frustrating for you: the router’s connection limit is simply exhausted, it can not cope with the number of devices attacking it, eager to get into the network. This often happens in crowded places: holidays, concerts. Every channel has a limit, and it can be hard to feed the phones of thousands of insatiable users. Or an old router is installed and your phone simply does not support its settings. In this case it is difficult to solve the problem, just wait or look for another network.
Also a public network can be password-protected and you do not know it or you enter it incorrectly. Try to talk to the local employees, maybe they will tell you the secret, even if it is not a public network for all customers.
If it is a home network, this error might mean that the router is freezing. In this case it can be resuscitated by simple pressing Reset button or power off for a couple of minutes.
If the error repeats, please enter the router settings via your PC (entering the IP address of the device in the browser address bar), check that WPA-2 encryption is selected, DHCP server is enabled. And yes, make sure the password is correct. on the router and on the phone. Even if you think you remember it by heart and that’s not a problem. Sometimes, during the typing process, there may be an error and you won’t even know which character is in it: just change your password and try to log in again.
Also check the date, time, and region settings on the phone and router. Their mismatch can lead to the fact that the devices block each other.
Says “receive ip. address, ip-configuration error”
This problem, which is not uncommon, means that your router is having trouble communicating with your mobile device. The problem can be either in the router or in the phone.
First of all, without any cunning, simply reset the router: take the network cable out for 2-3 minutes, then turn it on again.
If it did not help, then manually prescribe IP on the phone. It’s not hard to know what to write: look at the label on your router, you’ll find this information there. To enter the settings, go to the list of networks, delete the existing connection. Click on the connection again, but do not enter a password, but select “advanced settings”. Click on “IP settings” and select the custom sub-item.