How to Install a Tor Browser on Android
Tor browser for Android. how to install and use?
The modern trend is to endlessly increase the level of privacy of personal data. For some people this is really the most important question in life and you can understand them. But you have to pay for everything. Today we will talk about how to use Tor on Android. Also in the course of parsing the topic we will consider how to install and configure the software.
Everyone has probably heard of Tor browser and there is no point in extolling it in the pages of this article. So let’s go straight to the first question on the agenda.
To install a browser on your smartphone, just use the following step-by-step instructions:
To work adequately available functionality, we need both the browser and the client. In the PC version, two parts of one whole are united under one roof, there is no such thing for mobile platforms yet.
Every year the popularity of Tor is increasing, as every year hundreds and thousands of sites fall under government blocking, which someone needed.
Thor technology is simple, but retains some intrigue for new users of the system. For ease of perception, let’s present the following information in the form of a bulleted list:
- First, we launch the Orbot client, where we go through the initial setup.
- Click on the “Run” button.
- Give the application access to network monitoring, if necessary.
- This completes the configuration and you can go to the Orfox browser by clicking on the icon of a strange fox.
- Go through the initial setup.
- The default “search engine” is DuckDuckGo, which finds hidden sites for the Tor browser on Android.
If you enter “My IP” into the search box, you will see that the address and the country are automatically substituted.
What is the official Tor Project for Android Tor Browser?
For years, Tor Browser users have requested an official version of Android. Their wish came true in September 2018, when Tor Blog announced the alpha release of Tor Browser for Android.
The Tor Project recognized that mobile browsing is not only growing, but in some parts of the world it is the only way to get online. At the same time, online surveillance and censorship continue to grow, especially in areas where mobile Internet access is the norm. The result was the first official Android Tor Browser.
Android Tor Browser has everything you’d expect:
- Blocks third-party trackers and other forms of surveillance
- Stops the use of a unique browser fingerprint
- Multi-layer encryption to protect your data
- Uses the Tor network to ensure datsource security
- Provides access to websites censored by ISPs.
- Allows access to hidden Tor services
Most importantly, the new official Android Tor Browser app will receive frequent updates. This means that the official app will get security and feature improvements. While the alternatives, as you will read below, will not.
How to use Orbot
Going forward, working through Orbot should be as follows:
- In the beginning we start Orbot, press the power button and wait for Orbot to connect to the Tor network.
- Once you are connected to Tor, you can launch and use ORWEB.
Let me remind you, because there is no transparent proxification, traffic will only be protected in the ORWEB browser.
That’s all, friends. I hope you understand how to set up Orbot and how to use it correctly. In the next article I will tell you how to run third-party programs on your smartphone with Orbot. Good luck! And don’t forget to share with your friends if you liked the article.
How to use Tor browser without disturbing the harmony of the world?
You must know by now that the Tor Browser is at the moment an Internet converter, which offers the possibility to surf the web anonymously. However it is necessary to understand that Internet is both useful and very dangerous thing.
In this regard, on the Internet, both on the Surface Web and DarkNet, you need to observe a number of certain rules in order to remain anonymous. And you yourself probably realize that the Tor Browser alone is not enough for this.
Rule Before accessing the DarkNet, mute your camera and your device’s microphone and speaker, and trust me, this is no joke.
Rule You should not disable the NoScript extension in the Tor browser for any reason. к. you may then be hacked.
Rule Do not download anything from onion sites if you do not want your device to be hacked and credit card data to be stolen.
Rule Never run the anonymous Tor internet converter with VPN/proxy and firewall turned off.
Rule Use ONLY UNIQUE usernames, names, email addresses and passwords if you don’t want to be easily exposed.
In general, the safest option to use Tor is and then no hacker or even a law enforcement officer can simply gain access to this operating system. Well, you can store your passwords in an encrypted partition using VeraCrypt.
Well, you might have thought that I’m crazy about anonymity, but that’s not true. Unfortunately, I can’t talk about all types of viruses and attack methods in one article, so don’t be skeptical of my recommendations.
How to use Tor browser
How to disable auto substitution on Android. keyboard setup
If a person doesn’t know how to use Tor on android, below is a detailed look at the nuances of working with it.
Using VPN with Tor
Using a VPN allows all software to receive and send traffic through a special tunnel, so you don’t have to configure all programs as you do when using a proxy.
In this case the traffic will be encrypted due to the fact that a VPN tunnel will be created over the open communication channels, through which the data is transmitted. So it is impossible to intercept the information this gadget receives and sends. This will protect (hide) from intruders email correspondence, payment information, etc. д., There will be two layers of encryption. So even when sensitive information is intercepted, it cannot be decrypted. In addition, good data encryption compresses the traffic which allows to save it.
When using a VPN in conjunction with Tor, the encrypted information coming out of the server will go to the Tor network. Therefore, to organize the correct working process, you must first connect the device to a VPN, and then open the Tor browser, which will automatically select the necessary routing for the tunnel. This will hide the use of the Top network from the Internet service provider and others who can monitor the user’s traffic.
This browser is a fully-featured web browser, so using it is not much different from working with other programs of this type.
Entering a site address and working with windows
Specifics of work with the address bar and tabs:
- The main element of the program is the address bar, where you enter the site address or a search query;
- To open several tabs and quickly navigate between them you need to click on the icon shown in the lower screenshot. Use it to go to any open page or close unnecessary tabs;
- The browser also includes a privacy feature, which you can turn on through the tab management menu. Once incognito mode is activated, the web browser will stop remembering user input.
Incognito mode on
Working with add-ons
Add-ons expand the functionality of Tor Browser. For example, you can install a password manager or an ad blocker in it.
Select “Tools” → “Add-ons”
Tor supports extensions for Mozilla Firefox.
Search and install extensions
To install and uninstall extensions you need to perform the following steps:
- To view the extensions installed in the browser you need to click on the triple dot in the top navigation bar and select the “Tools” in the list that will open.
- Then you need to click on the “Extensions” tab.
- A list of installed extensions in the browser will open, at the bottom there will be a tab “View the recommended extensions for Firefox. In order to search for and install new extensions you need to click this tab and then use the search form to find the necessary extensions.
- This will open the add-ons download page, where you need to click on “Add”.
- You can quickly uninstall any installed extension. To do this, open the list of installed add-ons again, then click on the extension and at the bottom of the next window “Delete”. If you need time to deactivate the extension, you also need to click on it, but in the new window select “Disable”.
Disabling and removing add-ons
Important! Before installing any add-ons you should be aware that some of them will affect speed of loading pages, security level and other parameters.
What are the disadvantages of Tor Browser?
In addition to a number of security problems, Tor has another drawback, which for many is even more critical. it is a very slow network. Of course, it couldn’t be otherwise, since your traffic is redirected through several nodes. such, if you will, is the price you have to pay for anonymity.
As a consequence, I don’t recommend using Tor Browser to watch streaming or downloading files. In addition, the service developers themselves strongly recommend not to use Tor to download torrents. and not only because of the speed of connection, but also because it will leave unprotected your IP address, which will obviously have a negative impact on your privacy.
If you want to watch streams or download files as confidentially as possible, then I recommend using a VPN instead of Tor (here’s a list of the best VPNs for anonymous torrent downloads).
Another disadvantage of working with the Tor network is the fact that it will attract unwanted attention to you. Of course, the Internet service provider will not be able to see your actions, but without any problems will detect the fact of Tor connection. That alone will be enough to start watching you more closely!
In addition, it is extremely important not to forget that the Tor Browser is still a browser. Accordingly, it can only protect its own traffic, but all your other applications will remain unprotected. That’s why I recommend using Tor together with a VPN to give yourself comprehensive protection.
How to use Tor along with a VPN?
Using a VPN with Tor increases your privacy. In this case, you must use a trustworthy VPN service to avoid exposing your IP address. Using a poor-quality VPN with security issues can lead to lower privacy levels. Without a quality VPN, your internet service provider can share your personal information with the authorities.
I’ve tested ExpressVPN’s security features and recommend this service for its robust tax-free policy to protect your personal data while using Tor. ExpressVPN also has special Onion over VPN servers that route your Internet traffic over the secure Tor network. You can use such servers to visit sites with extensions.Onion using a regular browser, though of course this is less secure than using Tor.
There are two ways to use Tor with a VPN: Tor over VPN and VPN over Tor. In any case, I highly recommend paying for your VPN subscription anonymously. Your identity can be exposed through the payment method you use, so for added security it’s best to use an anonymous method.
Tor over VPN
The safest way to surf the Internet is to connect to a VPN and then run Tor. This secure method prevents Tor from seeing your real IP address, hidden by the VPN.
- Hide your activity and identity from your ISP and government agencies;
- Protect data sent from your device;
- set up quickly;
- Mask your real IP address from the Tor entry node;
- Slow down your connection;
- Be insecure when your Internet traffic leaves the Tor output node unencrypted;
- lead to data disclosure to your ISP if your VPN doesn’t have an emergency disconnect feature;
- Be a reason to disclose your information if your VPN service logs your activity.
How to use Tor over a VPN?
- Download a VPN app. I recommend trying ExpressVPN for its reliable tax-free policy and free use thanks to its money-back guarantee.
- Open ExpressVPN and connect to a nearby server.
- Go to the torproject page.org/download/ and install Tor on your device.
- Open the folder where you installed Tor and launch that browser.
- Get to work on the internet!
VPN over Tor
You can also connect to Tor first and then to a VPN. This method allows you to hide online activity from the Tor output node. You may have to manually set up a VPN to connect to Tor. This method is quite complicated, so I don’t recommend it.
- Provide access to services that block Tor users;
- to hide your VPN connection from your ISP;
- To hide your activity from Tor output nodes;
- make it difficult to configure;
- Be meaningless if your VPN service is tracking your activity;
- Prevent you from being able to navigate to sites with the extension.onion.
Tor browser is a popular program that provides safe access to the internet and helps you bypass blocking and censorship. Recently users have had the opportunity to install this solution on their smartphones, but only Android gadget users have this opportunity.
The iPhone owners should not expect the appearance of Tor browsers on their device, because it is not possible because of Apple’s policy. it blocks some of the processes and requires the use of its engine. If you have Android, you can download the app right now and get the level of anonymity you need absolutely free.