How to Flash a Phone Using a Computer
How to flash an Android phone through a computer at home. this is what this article is about! When nothing works on your Android phone or everything slows down and lags, while the usual tips (clearing the cache or freeing up phone memory) do not help. it’s time to resort to radical measures, such as flashing Android. Flashing the anodroid phone is not a difficult task, you can flash the phone at home, by yourself, today we will tell you in detail how to do it!
By “Firmware” is meant a software package, and it includes:
- The core itself is “Android”;
- Drivers that ensure the coordinated functioning of components of a specific model of the device, that is, hardware.
By the verb “Flash” the device, we mean the procedure for installing the platform. However, the process of installing the operating system for the computer and for the mobile gadget on the Android platform is significantly different. The reasons for this are a huge variety of implementations of this very common OS in mobile devices. A lot of software is created individually for certain models of smartphones and tablets. Therefore, often for inexperienced users, the installation of a new firmware fails due to a lack of information and a lack of correct action algorithms before their eyes.
The manual below will help you reflash Android at home, as well as introduce you to the possible risks of the procedure and how to minimize them.
Why do I need to reflash an Android phone?
People make and program gadgets, so no device is completely immune from errors. In the event of a failure in the smartphone (tablet) on Android, the cardinal method of getting rid of the problem is flashing.
Arguments “For” OS reinstallation
Thanks to the openness of this operating system, manufacturers are free to improve and customize it to fit their gadget models. Many of their advanced software has already won the love and trust of users. In this regard, often the owners of smartphones and tablets take risks and decide to reflash their electronic friend. Also, some developers contribute to this, which eventually cease to release updates for their gadgets. Users from various sources of information will learn about new software modifications that can allow optimal use of the hardware capabilities of the device and, of course, are wondering how to reflash Android.
Even very well-known companies that produce smartphones and tablets are not infrequent in installing their own software, which for obvious reasons is not suitable for most users. In addition to the unsuccessful appearance of the shell, these proprietary software significantly slows down the functioning of the device. In this case, a clean Android, not stuffed with unnecessary marketing chips from the developer, often amazes with its high performance and stability. Therefore, the answer to this question is the installation of custom software, in which there is no pre-installed “trash” from the manufacturer.
Arguments Against OS Reinstallation
With a lack of experience or insufficient care, there is a great risk of getting an inoperative and useless piece of microcircuit and plastic after the procedure, or as the experts used to call this failed device. “Brick”.
In the case of firmware with software taken from unofficial sources, the device warranty is void.
Not all drivers included in the software package from a third-party developer work correctly with the components of the gadget. It happens that after flashing the GPS module refuses to search for satellites, and the camera makes low-quality images. Also, poorly matched software can cause a battery to drain quickly.
How to flash an Android phone yourself and what is needed for this?
The success of any event depends on how thorough the preparatory preparations were.
Preparatory activities include the following main points:
- Be sure to fully charge the device before the procedure;
- Use the gadget settings menu to find out the name of the device and the modification of the current software (it is recommended to write them down to the last character and sign, otherwise when flashing with the wrong assembly, you can get a “brick” as a result);
Each user must decide for himself which version of the software to prefer:
Having completed all three points of the preliminary event and, most importantly, having decided exactly on the software modification, you should go directly to the installation procedure.
There are the following ways to do this:
- Update (When an updated version of the software has already been released for the device, the “Auto-update” is a convenient method for all users. In order to find out if a new firmware version is available, open the “About phone” section and go to the “System Update” subsection).
- Manual installation (For models from different manufacturers, different firmware methods are used using different software called “Flashers.” For example, for gadgets from Samsung, the Odin program is used, for Nexus, Sony and HTC. “Fastboot”, “Lenovo”. “Flash Tool”, “LG”. “KDZ Updater”, etc.).
The list of stages of the flashing procedure using ROM Manager:
- Get root-rights to the android gadget;
- Install the ROM Manager utility;
- Create a copy of the current OS;
- Find and save the appropriate firmware;
- Install it;
- To test the work of the new software and, if dissatisfied with the results, return to the previous version using the created copy in paragraph “3”.
You can find and install the “ROM Manager” utility from the Google Play Market. Then, opening the main application window and clicking on the top line, you can set “ClockWorkMod” (CWM), and using the second line. “Download Recovery Mode”.
In order to save a copy of the OS, you will need to install “CWM”.
Important digression: During the installation of “CWM”, the gadget should not be connected to the PC.
By clicking on “Install CWM” you will need to indicate the exact name of the gadget and wait for the installation procedure to complete.
Next, click the line “Save current ROM” and then click “Ok”. Wait for the process to complete.
Where to get firmware for Android?
They are available for download on the official resources of the developers of smartphones and tablets themselves. If the user has sufficient experience, then by the name of the model, he can find many software versions on third-party sites, from which a suitable one is selected, its archive file is stored in the computer’s memory. Then you can unzip the file to write it to a memory card.
In case of using the ROM Manager Premium utility, the user can click the line “Download firmware”. After that, the application displays a list of software suitable for the device. This useful program eliminates the loss of time searching for software in the Internet resources of third-party developers, which at the moment are huge.
Why do we need non-official (custom) firmware for Android?
Non-official software is developed in order to ensure faster operation of the device, and also some useful functions and successful design can be added to it.
Custom firmware sometimes continues to be improved by developers even when an already obsolete gadget is discontinued. Therefore, the user receives a device with updated software that optimally meets modern requirements.
For some users, it may be that the decisive criterion for deciding in favor of installing a third-party product is saving battery power and a more attractive interface.
By installing non-official software, you can immediately provide yourself with root-rights, which means you can increase your security by installing a powerful firewall. The gadget owner, at his discretion, will be able to install any fonts he likes, as well as increase the speed of the GPS module, etc.
You can get rid of unused system utilities, which not only take up memory space, but also consume mobile traffic, this is especially true if the user does not have access to an unlimited Wi-Fi network.
How to flash an Android phone through a computer at home?
If the owner of the device is interested in the question of how to flash an Android phone through a computer, then the following will be necessary:
- Install drivers for working with the device in the PC;
- Download the firmware appropriate for the gadget model;
- Create a backup copy of the current OS in the device;
- Install the firmware application (flasher).
The essence of the action is the same for different models of devices. The following is an example of working with the Odin flasher from Samsung:
- Connect the device to the PC in boot mode. For this purpose, you should turn off the gadget and simultaneously press the keys: “Home”, “On / Off.” and “Sound Boost”.
- Next, “Odin” will see the device;
- Then in the column “AP” indicate the location of the downloaded software;
- Mark the columns “F. Reset Time “and” Auto reboot “;
- Click “Start”;
- Wait for the process to complete.
Firmware Android from sd-card (without PC)
To flash Android through the phone, it is recommended not only to fully charge the gadget beforehand, but also not to disconnect it from the charger during the entire procedure.
The sequence of actions consists of the following steps:
- Launch “ROM Manager” and click “Install ROM from SD card”;
- Indicate the location of the distribution kit with the OS copied to the card;
- In the menu that appears, check the boxes for the items of interest to the user and click on “Ok”;
- Wait for the installation procedure to complete.
How to upgrade Android through Recovery yourself?
To install the software through Recovery, you must first save the firmware file on the device’s card. Next, you will need to perform the following steps:
- Turn off the device;
- Press the keys at the same time: “On / Off” and “Increase the sound level” (on some models the combination of buttons may be different);
- In the window that appears, specify “Recovery Mode” (the transition between the graphs is done with the buttons for increasing and decreasing the sound level);
- Then specify “apply update from external storage” and click on the “On / Off” key;
- Wait until the process is complete.
How to flash an Android tablet through a computer?
When asked how to flash an Android tablet, there are already detailed answers in the above paragraphs of this manual. All actions in gadgets on Android will be identical. As an example, consider the procedure using a PC as applied to a model from the popular Lenovo company.
The following steps must be completed:
- Fully charge the tablet;
- Install the “Software Update Tool” application, and the driver. Save the archive with the distribution of the appropriate firmware in memory;
- Disable mobile gadget;
- Press the keys at the same time: “On / Off” and “Volume Down” (the device must vibrate);
- After displaying “Fastboot USB” on the display, connect the gadget to the computer;
- Open the installed application and indicate the location of the saved distribution;
- Next, specify the type of software in the program menu;
- Click “Erase user data”;
- Click “Start” and wait until the process is complete.
Android flashing programs
This utility is installed directly in the device itself. The firmware is installed from the gadget’s CD-card.
SP FLASH TOOL
A universal utility that is suitable for almost all devices on the Android platform. Installation is done only through a computer, so you will definitely need a USB cable. An intuitive interface allows you to cope with the difficult task of reinstalling the system, even for novice users
This is one of the most difficult applications for beginners. The actions in it are a bit confusing. The installation procedure is carried out through the console of the Windows operating system.
How to flash the phone if it does not turn on?
It will be possible to successfully resolve the question only if the integrity of the bootloader is not violated. In order to clarify this, you can hold down the “On / Off” button. When a response from the device appears in the form of a robot display or some kind of icon, for example, “!”, Then we can conclude that the OS has failed. You can also try to connect the device to the PC via the USB cable and press the following keys on the device: “On / Off” and “Volume”. When after that the PC finds the gadget, then resuscitation will not be difficult and in 95% of cases will be successful. Then you can use one of the above methods and install new software. It is often not incorrectly executed firmware that violates the recovery section, after that only the installation of the correct OS modification will allow to restore the gadget.
The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Install the firmware utility on the PC;
- Download and save the file with the firmware;
- Open utility;
- Connect the device to the computer and press the keys (for different models the combinations vary);
- Indicate in the utility the location of the distribution with the new OS;
- Click “Start”;
- Done. You just have to wait for the installation and restart procedure to complete.
What to do if flashing failed?
You can resort to system recovery. This will require a saved copy of the system.
You must complete the following steps:
- Reinstall “ROM Manager”, as it does not exist in the new failed OS;
- Click “Backups”;
- Then indicate in the menu that appears a copy of the OS and click on “Restore”;
- Wait for the end of the process;
- Done. The old OS in the device is restored.
3 more useful articles:
Power Clean is a popular tool for optimizing the performance of android devices. The main feature of this cleaning wizard.
Battery Calibration is designed to manage the power consumption of a mobile device. To charge was spent correctly.
TouchScreenTune application optimizes the sensitivity and responsiveness of the touch screen. It will be especially useful in the following cases:.