How to find out the Wi-Fi range on a laptop. Another example – select the 5 GHz channel…
The laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network 5G (GHZ/GHz). what can be done, how to find out whether he supports her
Question from the user
I purchased a fast 5 GHZ router and now one laptop sees my Wi-Fi network, but the other is not. Laptops, one might say, are almost the same, on both Windows 10. I climbed using AIDA, I did not find the difference in iron (except for the screen). What could be the problem?
It is difficult to say definitely from the screech, probably only one laptop has a Wi-Fi adapter with a support of 5 GHZ, but the second has no (this may even have laptops from one lineup). It is also impossible to exclude that there is some hardware problem with Wi-Fi adapter.
Below I will bring in series what needs to be checked and how to diagnose (and eliminate) a similar problem.
What to do if the laptop does not see 5 GHz Wi-Fi network
But does the adapter in the laptop support this frequency
This is the first question to answer. The fact is that Wi-Fi network can work in different modes (standards). Now the most common:
These standards differ not only in the frequency of work, but also the data transfer speed, the radius of action! Of course, older devices do not support the modern standard 802.11ac (802.11AX). By the way, instead of this abbreviation, you can also find Dual-Band (/ Wi-Fi 6).
From the foregoing, it follows that your laptop (device) can see and fully work with the 5 GHZ network-its Wi-Fi adapter must maintain the standard 802.11ac / 802.11AX.
To determine whether your laptop supports this new standard. to start, inspect the stickers on the device case. Often the Wi-Fi standard is indicated on them.
In addition, in any online store in the characteristics for your laptop model, this information is also always reported (see. An example below).
Stick on the laptop body, product characteristics on the Internet.-store
Another option to find out information about the adapter is to use the Netsh Wlan Show Drivers team. which needs to be entered on the command line. Next, in the list of characteristics, pay attention to the line “supported types of radio modules”.
Supported type of radio module (Netsh Wlan Show Drivers)
In addition to the above, the adapter information is given in the device dispatcher. It is enough just to open the “Network Adapters” tab. the supporting standard is often indicated in the name of the device. Cm. An example below.
How to tell if WiFi Networks around you are 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz & why it matters
Incorrect channels settings
In the CIS countries for Wi-Fi networks at a frequency of 2.4 GHZ are used from 1 to 13 channel (more on this here), and for networks 5 GHZ channels: 36, 40, 44, 48 (60?). Of course, if your router works on some channel 153, then the device, localized only for working in our country (the same laptop) may simply not see it!
By the way! By default, the router independently selects the channel. And, of course, in some cases, the channel can choose different from the recommended.
To manually change the channel, you must go into the router settings, open the wireless settings section, select the frequency (2.4 or 5 GHZ) and specify the required channel (this is in the general case). The screenshots below show how this is done for the router TP-Link, Tenda and Comfast.
Router TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. Channel setting and choosing
Wireless network settings. Radio channel
Devices too far from each other
The range (radius) of the Wi-Fi network at a frequency of 5 GHZ is slightly lower than 2.4 GHZ. If the router and laptop (say) are in different rooms, it is possible that the signal simply does not reach. What can be advised:
try to place devices closer to each other. Much, of course, depends on the location of the router and the layout of your apartment (see. An example below).
The location of the router in the apartment: right. The option is much more successful
Many users now, after installing Windows 10, do not update drivers (t.to. The system in general, puts them automatically for most equipment). Everything would be fine, but in some cases some devices can work incorrectly-this also applies to the adapter Wi-Fi.
- First, determine the exact model of your laptop (possibly Wi-Fi adapter);
- Then go to the official website of the manufacturer and download the “native” drivers;
Install special. External adapter
If all of the above tips were unsuccessful (or it generally found out that the adapter does not support 5 GHZ)-then this issue can be solved using the external Wi-Fi adapter, which can be connected to any laptop with a USB port.
By the way, some of the adapters are so small that they practically do not interfere with you in everyday work. Cm. screenshots below.
You can buy such adapters in Chinese online stores (for example, AliExpress) for relatively little money: from 200
Examples of Wi-Fi Adaptors. You can connect to any device with a USB port (2-range, with 5G support)
How to find out if the Router 5GHZ Wi-Fi supports?
This is in case you really do not know how much the range of the router you have, 1- or 2, and whether it supports the 5-gigaurts Wi-Fi in general. Since if he does not support it, and there is no other suitable for, then there is no need to rush with the inclusion of 5 GHZ in the laptop.
So, we find the packaging or guide of the user of the router and read its brief specification. Or open the router settings directly from the laptop and get acquainted with Wi-Fi parameters.
By the way, since you have already found these settings, you can slightly adjust something. The fact is that stats, in some 2-band routers the same SSID is spelled out (a unique network name that distinguishes one Wi-Fi network from another) as for 2.4GHZ, and for 5 GHZ.
If one has been discovered, it will not be superfluous to change it, so that in the future it is easier to find an appropriate network even from a laptop, at least from a tablet or smartphone.
What are Wi-Fi standards work on 5GHZ?
5GHZ operate 802.11a, 802.11n and 802.11ac, 802.11n. optionally. And since for the most part current routers are just 802 standard models.11n, then you have to clarify whether in the available device support 5 GHZ Wi-Fi is provided at hand.
In addition, not every router supporting 2GHZ and 5GHZ Wi-Fi can work in both ranges at the same time. So, if yours are also of these, then it is possible that it is better not to run 5GHz Wi-Fi with him.
After all, if in any of your mobile devices that you use daily, the support of 5GHZ Wi-Fi is also not provided (and many models are not provided for), then it is not entirely advisable to switch the router to 5GHZ. Of course, modern two.band routers have such problems, as a rule, do not have.
But there are problems with devices connected to them, which can lose contact with each other, and then unnecessary catavasia is obtained. When, for example, the iPhone 7, connected to a home network on 5GHZ, will suddenly stop seeing your MacBook, which is connected to the same network and through the same router to 2.4GHZ.
What you need to use the wi-fi 5gHz
Before connecting to a new frequency and enjoy the fastest Wi-Fi wireless network, you need to find out if there is support from the gadgets. To do this, you need to know which devices can catch Wi-Fi 5 GHz, because it is not enough to simply connect. The standard is considered more new, so it requires other modules, schemes, equipment, etc.
What are Wi-Fi standards, and which work at a high frequency
There are four main operating modes of the Wi-Fi 802 network.one. Types differ in their characteristics. the maximum speed of information transmission.
Note! 802.11 is a kind of authentication method. That is, it is a standard that allows the device to let the user to the network.
In general, the following standards are Wi-Fi: B, G, N, AC. It is also customary to allocate the fifth standard. a (11a).
What standards work on the required range
5 GHZ support 802.11a, 802.11n, 802.11ac. Network problems do not arise except 802.11n. The sad news comes from here. most routers work on this standard. Therefore, the first thing you need to use the new network range is to check if there is a given opportunity, especially if it is 802.11n. For this, it is recommended to look at the inscriptions on the device itself, go to the settings of the router or find a model on the Internet.
It is also worth remembering the following rule: there is one of the devices does not use 5 GHz, then going to the Internet will not work. But for such purposes there are two.band routers. They give out two types of radio waves at once, for example, TP-Link Deco. This is a whole Mesh system that allows you to cover a large area and use different herts. But the cost of the apparatus is high.
How to find out if the device supports Wi-Fi 5 GHZ
Based on the rule above, to work at a new frequency, it is necessary that both devices support it. Accordingly, you need to check the router and the laptop itself. Find out whether the router is equipped with the necessary characteristics, you can in the following way:
- Go to the settings (the address for entering the parameters is written on the device: 192.168.one.1 or 192.168.0.one).
- Enter the username and password (the data indicated in the same place).
- Open the tab with a wireless network settings.
- Find the frequency switch button.
If it is not, you will have to use 2.4 GHZ.
note! Another method is to go to any online electronics store and find your router. In the column with characteristics there is a list of supported ranges. You can also open the manufacturer’s website. If there is a list of models of routers, then there will probably be the necessary device and information about it.
How to find out if the laptop 5 GHz supports
This method does not exist. But it is worth opening the Windows Device Manager. To do this, click on the “Start” menu and write there “Device Manager”. You can also click the combination of the Win R keys and write in the field for entering “Devmgmt.MSC “(without quotes). In the list you will need to find network adapters. In the opening branch, select the wireless network module. As a rule, the name has Wireless, Wi-Fi, Wan. Next. find the characteristics of the adapter in the search engine. If it works with the A or AC standard, then the desired frequency is precisely supported.
Network adapters in the device manager
In some cases, the following method will work:
- Click on the adapter in the device dispatcher with the right mouse button.
- Select the “Properties” tab, go to “Additionally”. The small window will indicate the standard of the module.
note! Determine if there is support from the smartphone, you can by connecting the device to Wi-Fi. If everything works, the gadget is equipped with the necessary module.
Laptop does not see Wi-Fi 5G network
The reason for the malfunction in 90 % of cases is the absence of a higher frequency laptop support. If one device works with 5 GHz, while others do not, and I want to use a more speed Internet, then you should buy a two.frequency router.
Important! Before buying, it is recommended to verify the availability of the desired standard of the network adapter of the devices. If problems arise with this, then you should contact a specialist.
How to change the frequency of Wi-Fi router?
When buying, you need to pay attention to what frequency Wi-Fi router works. Most devices that are installed in houses and lie on store shelves operate on 2.4 GHz. Recently, a new type of routers supporting two operating modes has been gaining popularity. 2.4 and 5 GHz. This solution allows the client to choose the operating mode of work himself taking into account the current situation and the requirements for the quality of the wireless network.
Knowing how to change the frequency of Wi-Fi router, you can adjust this parameter and achieve better communication quality. Approaches to the change in the indicator are individual for each router, so we consider the option on the example of TP-Link Archer C5. The device supports two frequencies, which allows you to create the same Wi-Fi networks. One will work on 2.4, and the second for 5 GHz. All settings are carried out through a PC or other device connected by wireless.
To change the frequency of the router, open any of the browsers and drive into the address line of the number 192.168.01.
You can prescribe the address of the TPLINKWIFI router.Net. After that, enter the setting panel according to standard data (if they did not change). twice admin. The necessary information can be obtained if you look at the lower part of the Wi-Fi router.
After you make changes, check the signal level. Since the change in some parameters can entail a fall or increase in other indicators.
Setting the first frequency of Wi-Fi signal (2.4 GHz) begins with the transition to the Wireless 2 section.4 GHZ. Next, do the following:
At this moment, the compound may disappear. The gap time is about a minute. Wait for communication recovery, and then continue the configuration. Do the following:
After that, reboot and you can start work.
As noted, Wi-Fi frequency of 5 GHz is permitted and can be used for a home network. If this option is chosen in the settings, take such steps:
- Go to the settings section;
- In the Network Name field, indicate the name of the Wi-Fi network (if 2 profiles are 2.4 and 5 GHZ work in parallel, it should differ from the first name);
- In the channel section, put the car;
As in the past case, a temporary network loss is possible. Wait for communication recovery, and then continue the Wi-Fi frequency settings.
Now save and reboot. After that, you can use a router in one or two frequencies at once. It all depends on the set settings.
How to find out what frequency Wi-Fi Router works at?
Many users are faced with a dilemma-how to find out what frequency Wi-Fi operates the AC standard. If we talk about the factory data, the necessary information can be looked at the instructions for the device or on the case itself. To see the real parameter, you can go in two ways:
- Settings. To find out the frequency of the Wi-Fi router, enter the mood panel according to the principle that is considered above. Look there in what mode the router is currently working. Several options are possible here. 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz or mixed mode.
- Program. Another option to find out the frequency of the Wi-Fi router is to use a special WiFiinfoView program. It is often used to select a unloaded channel, but you can also use the frequency range of work. The peculiarity of software is that it has a low weight and does not require installation on PC. All that is necessary is to download the software, unpack the archive and launch an exe file. Software immediately starts and gives the necessary information on the channel and the current frequency of Wi-Fi range. The advantage of the method is that you do not need to go into the settings of the router.
You can use other programs, but a more reliable way to enter the setting panel of the router and see the selected option.
Ways to check the presence of an adapter of a wireless network
The easiest and most reliable option is to open a list of connected devices and see it. In Windows, this can be done in the device dispatcher (to go to it. click Winr and in the window that appears, use the Devmgmt command.MSC. Alternative: press PKM for the Start menu. ).
In the device manager, you need to open the “Network Adapters” tab: among the adapters, see if the name of which contains one of three:
If this is in the name, then there is a wireless adapter on your computer (see. Screen below. left). In this case, see. Note on how to turn on Wi-Fi on a computer and connect to the network // Windows 11/10
If nothing of the kind is visible. check the “Other devices” tab (if any). if there are unknown devices in it, then the drivers are not installed on them (and there may well be a wireless adapter among them!).
- First you need to launch the command line on behalf of the administrator;
- Then enter the Netsh Wlan Show Interface command and press Enter;
- A list of wireless adapters should appear in the window: in my case, there are only 1 of them (pay attention to the status line. At the moment, not a single Wi-Fi connection network has been installed. How to fix it. cm. this is).
Command line. Showing wireless adapters
You can also use special. utilities for viewing Har-K PC: AIDA, Speccy, etc. As a rule, it is enough to open the “Network” (or “network”) tab and you can find out almost everything about the network parameters of the device.
By the way, I recommend that you have a couple of similar utilities on the disk. they can help out with a variety of problems with PC.
Option 1 (if the device is working)
If with this PC/laptop everything is in order (t.e. It is serviceable, just not installed OS)-you can resort to the help of the so-called LiveCD flash drive (portable Windows). It is advisable to have such a USB flash drive in your punch (if you don’t have one, prepare it on a working PC // Link above will tell you how to do it).
In the note, I will assume that you have already loaded from such a flash drive.
Loading from prepared livecd flash drives
Next, you can start with this flash drive of the device manager, AIDA utility, and pr. (as described in the first part of this article).
If you have chosen LiveCD (which I recommended above), then it has a network manager that allows you to view all the adapters connected to the PC (see. arrow 2. of course, if there is a wireless adapter among them. he will see him!).
If a PC/laptop is not in good condition (or you need to verify “something visually)-you can disassemble the device and see your firsthand what is inside. Here, of course, it is difficult to predict in advance and give the right photo below so that for the first time reading this topic can find out if he has a wireless adapter.
- The first Wi-Fi adapter in a laptop (is a small fee, the size of a “back box”);
- on the second PCIe Adapter Wi-Fi (installed on PC in special. Slot for mat. board).
What to do if there is no Wi-Fi adapter (or it is not working and the computer does not see it)
Option 1: In my opinion, the easiest way out. To purchase an external Wi-Fi adapter (by the way, it can also be useful as a reserve // or for diagnosis, when there is suspicion of incorrect operation of the current adapter).
It can be connected to the most ordinary USB port, and the modern Windows 10/11 will install the driver on it without your participation. You can purchase external wi-fi mini-fi mini-fi in. and Chinese online stores.
detailed about connecting and setting up an external adapter: https: // ocump.info/ Adapter-Wi-Fi.HTML
Also Wi-Fi adapter (practically invisible)
Option 2: instead of Wi-Fi. You can connect a computer to the network and through an Ethernet cable or simply make a phone point (T.e. shake the Internet from the phone). The last option, in my opinion, is the most universal: it is suitable both at home and on the trip!
Option 3: Contact the laptop maintenance center/PC. There, for sure, your old, non.working adapter with a new, working one (or offer an option suitable for your conditions. ).
How to find out whether the laptop 5 GHz supports and connect to it
The interest of users in the Wi-Fi 5 GHz range is understandable: this strip is freer, which means it gives a more stable and quick connection, it works less than household devices that can interfere. In fairness, 2.4 GHz works better where there are interference, for example, concrete walls. And yet, if the user has the opportunity to choose, he should know how to use the capabilities of his device.Today we figure out how to find out if your laptop supports the Wi-Fi network in the 5 GHz range and if so, how to connect it to this strip forcibly.
Look into the characteristics
This is obvious, but just in case we mention: the easiest way to check the support of the 5 GHz strip in the characteristics of your laptop. You can look for them on the site of the manufacturer and the seller or check the data on the box and documentation if your device is new and it is generally preserved.
Call it a combination of Winr keys and enter the DEVMGMT command.MSC. As a result, you will see the device manager where you will need to section network adapters. We find the one in which the Wi-Fi module (Wireless) will be mentioned. Depending on your manufacturer, this name may vary. We click on it twice and go to the tab additionally. If your laptop has 5 GHz support, you will find its mention.
We launch the command line on behalf of the administrator and enter the command
How To Enable 5GHz WiFi On Your Laptop | 5GHz WiFi Adapter
The wording of Dual Band Wireless in the name of the driver clearly indicates the presence of two ranges, but in addition, you can pay attention to the line supported types of radio modules. Radio Modules 802 standards.11b, 802.11G and 802.11n says that the laptop only works at 2.4 GHz, while 802.11a or 802.11ac. two.band.
What to do so that 5 GHz is connected by default
The easiest way is to give different names to the ranges in the router settings and manually connect to the desired network from the Windows Notifications Center. But you can also get to the settings on the way described in method 2 and in the tab additionally select the property: supported frequency, and value: range 5 GHz is preferable.If it is impossible to connect to the 5 GHz strip, the laptop will still use 2.4 GHz.
As you can see, it is not difficult to set the preferred Wi-Fi range, as well as checking the support of two lanes. If you still have questions, ask them in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев and do not forget to subscribe to Telegram Tekho to keep up with important news and useful tips from the world of technology.
One nuance: Mac may not see 5 GHz network
This is not a marriage or a glitch. He works like this in Mac picked up from the Country Code (SS) router and builds its frequency card accordingly. And if the router, for example, transmits its signal on another channel, the Mac simply does not see the 5GHC network and connects to the 2nd router in 2.4 GHz mode.
It is simply checked: a click on the Wi-Fi icon with a closed Option key-the Code of Code field. If there is a ru. most likely 5GHz does not work. It is necessary to rule the settings of the router in the admin panels. You can set another country there or disable data transfer by 802.11d (h) and regulation mode, if any.
If you have a code of another country or a ligament of the RU5GHC works. everything is ok, we diverge.
Briefly for those who have not read everything above:
- If you have 2.4 GHC router, it makes no sense to pay the provider for increasing speed, the increase will be small;
- The transition to 5 GHz will make a Wi-Fi signal stable;
- setting up work 802.11AC standard can be significantly added to speed without even changing the tariff;
- Now it is completely legal;
- Suitable routers can be bought at any electronics store;
- Apple routers can be ordered from abroad.
Do you want more? Subscribe to our Telegramnash Telegram. and don’t forget to read ours and iPhones.ru can already order Airport with all the chips! Believe me, it’s worth it
How to change and configure the frequency of a router
It is worth saying right away to change the range from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz, you need the router technically supports this frequency and the corresponding Wi-Fi certificate, which we wrote more in the previous article.
In other words, if you have an old router model, here without options. iron will have to be changed.
Find out the frequency of the Wi-Fi router and change it if the device operates in two ranges, you can in the settings. You can go into the router settings either through the cable (usually it is attached to the device when buying), or by introducing the IP address in the address bar of the browser (for example, https: // 192.168.one.1 or https: // 192.168.0.one). The login and password by default is specified by the manufacturer and is indicated in the instructions or on the router itself.
All the necessary information is located in the section “Wireless Network” or “Wireless” (the type of integration, of course, depends on a particular manufacturer).
In any case, you can configure the channel, even if there is no way to change the range. In 2.4 GHz, it is best to choose stripes 1, 6 or 11, since they are non.overwhelming in accordance with the standards for providing a minimum of 25 MHz.
As for the frequency of 5 GHz, here the formation of channels occurs in four lanes. At a minimum, you will have channels 36, 40, 44 and 48-this is the UnII-1 unit, but depending on the device, they can be more, until the 161st.
How to improve the connection
After you have tested a Wi-Fi signal or online check of the Internet, try the following methods that can improve the quality of connection:
- Update the driver on PC. An obsolete driver can “chop off” the exchange of data in the connection. Therefore, check that it is relevant. This is best done on the website of the laptop manufacturer or wireless adapter. Download the driver for your OS and install it.
- Move the router. Select an open place without barriers. You can try different locations and measure the indicator described above in the ways.
- Correct the position of the antenna of the router. It should be located vertically. The horizontal position, on the contrary, extremely reduces the level of transmission of radio waves.
- Change the antenna of the router to a more powerful or directed. You can use the “improvised” tools, such as an aluminum jar or foil, as some craftsmen do to create a directed screen-of the antenna.
- Increase power. Go to the route web-integer, introducing 192 in the address bar of browser.168.one.1 or 192.168.0.one. Change the “Power of the transmitter” setting to “High”. However, there will be a council that is completely opposite to this. Power value must be selected manually.
- Reduce power. This is a life hack that will help improve the quality of the signal due to the zone of its distribution. It is necessary to reduce to the level of 75. 50%. This is worth doing if your computer or phone “sees” a lot of extraneous networks with a good level. So, the ether is “hacked” by their obstacles. You can reduce the power of your router with different methods. You can even unscrew or replace the antenna if it is provided by the design.
- Update the firmware of the router. Usually this can be done automatically by pressing the corresponding button in the web-integer. But first familiarize yourself with the instructions-whether you need to connect the PC to the router LAN. Sometimes this is necessary for the correct update.
- Go to the range 5 GHz. This life hack will work if all your devices support this frequency. common networks operating at 2.4 GHz. Going to 5 GHz, you will almost certainly be in a more “free” environment from interference. You can do this in the same web configurator if the router supports it.
- Change the channel. You can find out about the loading of channels using the methods described above. Usually the router changes channels automatically. But in a very loaded environment it can be useful to set a free channel manually, in the settings of the router.
- Reduce QOS in router settings. This parameter is deciphered as “Quality-OF-Service-QOS) and can limit data transfer for individual programs and services. Having set a low priority for “gluttonous” services, you will increase the total throughput.
- Switch from the data channel from 40 MHz to 20 MHz. A larger option does not always provide quick data transfer. In conditions of interference and weak radio waves, 40 MHz provide such an unstable connection that you can notice this while using the Internet. Therefore, it makes sense to switch to 20 MHz and see if the connection has become faster.
- Turn on WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia / Multimedia Environment / WMM Capable). It should be in the settings of the router, and in the Wi-Fi adapter settings on the computer. Without it, there is a chance that the indicator will not exceed 54 Mbit/s.
- Disconnect energy.saving modes. With low charge or autonomous operation, the device can reduce the speed of Wi-Fi connection. Try turning off this mode on the phone.
Or do it in a laptop (in the properties of a wireless adapter).
After leaving the sleep mode or energy saving, you sometimes need to restart the device so that the connection speed is fully restored.
- Use a repiter (relay): small and inexpensive devices that will repeat and strengthen radio waves at a distance from the router. If desired, you can make a repiter from the router without spending money on a new gadget.
- Use the equipment. If the router has been bought for a long time, then it may not support new communication standards and all the options listed in this instructions. You have to replace it with a new.
Nuances that interfere with the improvement of the connection speed
It is not always possible to determine the real indicators of a wireless network if you look at the “visible” parameters. You may have such questions before measuring the Wi-Fi signal level:
- On the “Connection Information”. the standard Windows window. “channel speed” is displayed, that is, the maximum available indicator. Real, usually much lower, since it encounters interference, obstacles and other aspects described above.
- Transmission format 802.11n is really more effective, but it will not improve quality for devices that do not support it. You can replace a router or its settings with 802.11n, but if there are devices 802 on the network.11B/G, the connection speed for them will not change.
- Another nuance is connected with this. when the device is 802.11B/G transmits data, the speed of the entire network drops by 50-80 percent. Therefore, for the maximum indicator, you need to either get rid of these devices or use them to a minimum. Before checking the power of the Wi-Fi signal, turn off these devices to find out the real speed.
- The security protocol, which is set in the settings of the router, also affects the speed. The fastest. WPA2 with AES algorithm. If outdated WEP or WPA/TKIP are used, then the speed will not be higher than 54 Mbit/s.
So, the quality of the Wi-Fi signal is an important action in order to understand what is wrong with your network. Now you know how to find out about poor communication speed, how it can be caused and how to fix it. I am sure that you can solve the problem if you use the tools described above.