How To Find A Phone If The Sound Is Off
Nowadays it is difficult to find a person who does not have a cell phone. Now a mobile phone is not only a means of communication, but also a repository of very important and valuable information. This is not only phone numbers and photos, but also various applications with which you can manage your bank account or electronic wallet. Therefore, the loss of your electronic gadget can be a real problem. How to find a lost phone and protect yourself from this in the future?
What to do if you have lost your phone
There are several ways to find a lost phone, it depends primarily on how and where you lost it.
If you have lost your phone at home
If you have lost your phone in your apartment, then consider yourself lucky, because in such circumstances the chances of finding a mobile device are much higher than in other cases.
The easiest way is to call your number from another phone, but this method only works if the gadget is turned on.
If you know that you have it turned off, then the following search methods are suitable:
- Remember where and when you last held the phone in your hands, what then did next. Follow the entire route from the beginning, performing the same actions, simultaneously inspecting everything around. You could drop it on the sofa, leave it on a shelf and put something on top or even mistakenly put it in the refrigerator, it happens.
- Consider even the most unusual at first glance options. After all, you can, holding the phone in one hand and the banana skin in the other, distract yourself and accidentally throw in the bin not what you planned.
- Ask those who were in the apartment with you at the time of the loss if they took your phone to make a call. Perhaps they moved your cell phone to another place or simply forgot to return it. If you have children, then look in their toys, children are very attracted to modern gadgets, and they always pull their little hands towards them.
- Combining the search process with the general cleaning is very useful, this will help you more thoroughly explore all the hidden places that you would not even think to check. As a result, you will not only find your loss, but also make your home cleaner, and perhaps you will find something else from what was previously lost.
- Use a flashlight to check places where there is not enough light. For example, under a sofa or behind a closet.
- If you know that an alarm is set on your device, then most likely it will work even if the phone is turned off. Make sure that there is silence in the apartment by the appointed time, listen carefully and go to the sound.
on how to find a phone
If you have lost your phone on the street or in a public place
Of course, your chances of finding a phone in this situation are much lower than in the first case, but it’s still worth a try.
Try to identify the place where you could lose your phone. Remember where you used it for the last time, if you usually carry the phone in your bag, you could drop it when you took something out of it. Your memories will help significantly narrow your search.
You can put up announcements along the route of your trip, where you inform about your situation and promise to pay a reward to those who found your cell phone. It is much more convenient to receive a reward for your find than to try to sell a phone without documents.
Finding a switched off phone is very difficult, you will increase your chances of success if you install one of the applications on your phone in advance that will help you find your smartphone. One of these applications is Signal Flare, it will help if the phone turns off due to a discharged battery. As soon as the system signals that the battery is running out, the application includes recording the location of the gadget, it uses GPS and a Wi-Fi network signal.
If your phone is stolen
In this case, it is very important to act quickly, it is easiest to find a thief in hot pursuit. Contact the police station in the area where the theft was committed. Write a statement, indicate the description of the suspect, if any, tell the time and place where they found the loss.
Give in the application number IMEI your device. This is an individual identification number assigned to each smartphone, you can find it on the sticker that is located under the battery in the phone or on the box from your device. IMEI consists of fifteen digits, it includes the phone model number, country of manufacture and an individual code. This number remains unchanged even if you change the SIM card.
You can pre-download special software that, using the IMEI number of your phone, will notify you by SMS to the selected number that your SIM card has been changed in your device and a new phone number will be sent.
By court order, the mobile operator can provide law enforcement authorities with information using your phone’s identification number, which will contain information about the time of calls, their duration and, most importantly, the location of the mobile device relative to the nearest telephone tower. Such information is stored in server memory. billing.
In theory, everything sounds easy and simple, but in practice, you will encounter problems finding your phone using this method.
- Firstly, thousands of telephones are lost and stolen in cities every day, and law enforcement agencies are in no hurry to start a case in each of these cases. Perhaps you will be discouraged from writing a statement, hinting that the chances of finding a loss are very low.
- Secondly, mobile operators are far from always inclined to cooperate, without a court order, they may refuse to provide billing data, referring to the legislative framework, which does not regulate the work process in such cases.
- Thirdly, a request from law enforcement agencies to provide data can take a very long time to process, during which time an attacker can already change the IMEI number by restarting the software on the phone, which makes it impossible to further determine it in the operator’s database.
How to protect yourself from the loss or theft of your phone
You cannot protect yourself from the possibility of losing your phone by 100%, but you can minimize this probability by following simple rules and recommendations.
- Always keep your phone in the same place. If you go with a bag, then select a separate inner pocket for your mobile, preferably with a zipper. Thus, you get used to the fact that the phone is constantly there and immediately notice its loss. Keep your phone at home, for example, on your bedside table or anywhere else so you always know where your favorite gadget is.
- There are headsets informing the owner that the mobile device to which they are connected is more than five meters away. This signal will help you not to leave the phone in the office or on the table in the cafe will also inform you that your phone may have been stolen, and right now the thief is running away.
- At rush hour, a lot of people are crowded in public transport, everyone is standing very close to each other and in such a situation it is almost impossible to feel that you are being pulled out of your phone. To protect yourself from this, use headphones, turn on your favorite music on the phone, this will not only brighten up the trip, but also a sudden disconnection of the song will be a signal that someone has stolen the cell.
- Put a key chain on your phone that is specially designed to help you find the missing item at home or in the office. There are several principles of operation of such devices, some start to emit a sound signal, responding to clapping or whistling, while others respond to a transmitter signal that you can store in your wallet or bag.
Losing your phone has always been an unpleasant event, but with the development of technology, this can be a solved problem. It is best to pre-worry about the likelihood of such an incident: install special programs designed to help find the loss; set a password when unlocking, so that attackers could not use your phone; Save all important data to the cloud so that you can always use it.