How to enter Xiaomi recovery
We go into the recovery on a Xiaomi phone from Android (MIUI)
For those who are intimidated or find it difficult by the first method, there is another one. Although, if you look at it, then by the number of clicks it is about the same. So:
- Go to Settings:
- At the very top, select About phone:
- Now select System Update:
- In the upper right corner of the screen, tap on the menu icon (three dots).
- Select Reboot to Recovery Mode:
- Confirm by clicking Restart:
How to log into Recovery on Xiaomi. 2 ways
In this article, I will tell you about two ways to enter recovery (aka recovery mode and recovery mode) on Xiaomi using the example of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5. The first method is a little more difficult for beginners, but it will allow you to get into Recovery mode even if the phone stopped loading into Android operating system. The second method is easier. through the Settings app, but it will only work if Android is running and allows you to go to MIUI settings. Screenshots taken on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 running MIUI 10.
For those who do not know, I will say that recovery mode is most often used to reset the phone to factory settings or clear the cache partition in case of glitches and unstable applications. If you have a custom Recovery installed (for example, the popular TWRP), then from it you can do not only a reset, but also a factory reset, but also install a new firmware from a file, install applications from an internal drive or memory card, make an Android backup or restore Android from a previously created backup.
You’ve probably heard that the popular recovery shells are CWM Recovery and TWRP. Xiaomi devices have Mi Recovery installed from the factory. Unfortunately, the functionality in it is very poor. there is not even an option to clear the cache partition. However, if the gadget has been flashed, TWRP Recovery may be installed in your Xiaomi.
How to enter Recovery on Xiaomi using buttons (keys)
So, the most universal way is to enter recovery from any state. Even if your Xiaomi does not boot or goes into a bootlap (cyclic reboot), you still have a chance to reset the settings and restore the normal operation of the phone.
- Turn off your phone. Hold down the power key and select Power off: Then confirm: If Android is frozen, hold down the same power key and hold it until the phone is forcibly turned off.
- When the device turns off, wait a few seconds. Literally 5 seconds.
- Then simultaneously hold down and hold the Volume Up and Power keys:
Now you can perform the actions for which you entered the recovery on Xiaomi.
How to exit Mi-Recovery Xiaomi
To exit recovery mode and reboot your phone to normal mode, select Reboot Reboot to System:
Режимы Recovery и Fastboot на Xiaomi. Как войти в них и выйти?
If you pressed the wrong key and got into Fastboot Mode by mistake
If you confused the keys (Volume Down and Power) and got into Fastboot mode instead of recovery, do not be alarmed. Yes, there is no “shutdown” or “restart” item. Most importantly, make sure that the device is not currently in the process of updating the firmware. If so, unplug the USB cable and just hold down the power key. You need to keep it until the phone restarts.
Now, to enter Recovery, simply turn off your Xiaomi from the Android OS, or (if Android does not boot) press the power key again to force shutdown and repeat the procedure for entering the recovery correctly.
I hope I have answered all the questions regarding entering Recovery Mode on Xiaomi phones.
How to enter Recovery mode on Xiaomi
If you are still new to the MIUI ecosystem and do not know how to start your Xiaomi smartphone in Recovery mode, read my instructions. I know two different ways to reboot Xiaomi into Recovery mode, below you will find both of them.
Recovery mode is available on any Xiaomi smartphone and with its help you can perform certain tasks that are not available in MIUI. Using the recovery mode, you can install the firmware on your smartphone (including third-party ones), clear the cache or data partitions. Also, using this mode, you can reset to factory settings, which is useful if you forgot your smartphone password.
In addition to a full reset to factory settings, you can also update the official Recovery for modified TWRP, CWM and others, they are more functional, but that’s a completely different story. If you would like to update TWRP on Xiaomi, look for a guide on my website.
How to Exit Recovery Mode on Xiaomi?
Use the volume up and down buttons to select Reboot or Reboot new System and press the power button. Smartphone reboot!
Entering the Recovery menu on Xiaomi (MIUI)
This is a 100% tested and working way to enter recovery mode on Xiaomi, I myself use it and find it the most convenient.
- The first thing to do is turn off your smartphone.
- Press simultaneously the Power Volume Up buttons.
- Release the power button as soon as you feel vibration.
- After the Mi-Recovery 3.0 menu appears, release the rest of the buttons.
You are in Recovery. Your smartphone has entered the recovery mode system menu. Use the volume up and down buttons to navigate, and the power buttons to select a menu item.
How to enter Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A1 and Mi A2
Entering Recovery mode on Xiaomi Mi A1 and Mi A2 is slightly different from entering from a smartphone in MIUI shell.
- The first thing to do is turn off your smartphone.
- Press simultaneously the Power Volume Up buttons.
- As soon as “No command” appears on the screen and an image of Android with a sign of attention, release the buttons.
- Press the buttons again Power Volume Up.
- After the Recovery menu appears, release the buttons.
You are in Recovery. Your smartphone is in the system menu of recovery mode. Use the volume up and down buttons to navigate, and the power buttons to select a menu item.
Dear friends! If you still have questions about entering and exiting Recovery mode on Xiaomi smartphones, ask them in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев below.
Turn on recovery through the Xiaomi settings menu
Here you click on the line “System update”.
Press on three dots in the upper right corner.
A menu appears, in it select the item “Reboot to Recovery mode” or Reboot to Recovery mode. if you see it on the screen.
In this case, the Xiaomi smartphone will reboot automatically already in recovery mode.
How to enter the recovery menu on Xiaomi?
Recovery menu or Recovery Mode is sometimes a very useful menu, with which you can, among other things, reset the cache of applications or even the settings of your smartphone. Not everyone knows how to open the recovery menu on Xiaomi, so we have prepared an instruction. And the way is not one, but two at once! If the first did not work in your case (it depends on the MIUI firmware version), use the second.
Turn on Recovery on Xiaomi manually
If your MIUI firmware does not have an item to reboot the device into recovery mode in automatic mode, do it manually.
Press the power off button of the device and hold it for 1-2 seconds.
After that, a window with a choice of action will appear on the screen. Select “Shutdown”.
The smartphone will be turned off. When it turns off (wait 5-10 seconds after the screen goes out), you need to press and hold the volume up key off key.
Once the device screen is on, remove your finger from the power key, while continuing to hold the volume up key until Recovery is enabled. Menu loaded.
Control is carried out by side buttons: increase or decrease the sound. select a menu item, off key. confirm the action.
Exit from the mode. the Reboot button. When confirming the action, the smartphone will be restarted normally.
By the way, if you see another picture, like this one:
This suggests that you have confused the buttons when loading the menu, and in front of you is another menu. Fastboot. To exit it, press and hold the power key.
It may take 5-10 seconds, sometimes longer, but after exiting the specified mode, the smartphone should reboot normally.
How to Boot the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, 8T, & 8 Pro to Recovery Mode?
What are these options and what are they for?
It is worth reminding that you do not need to call the recovery mode on Xiaomi and activate the functions available in it, if there is no good reason for this.
It happens that when you press a key combination, the phone does not boot into Recovery, but into Fastboot mode. In order to exit from it, you need to press the power button and hold it until the device starts up again. A full reboot of Xiaomi may not work if there were problems with the phone before. Then turn it off with the power button. After that, you can repeat the boot process in the stock Recovery mode.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi / Redmi Phones
The first step is to download the correct version of TWRP Recovery.
We will install the TVRP version downloaded for our Xiaomi model through Fastboot mode. Requires ADB and Console Skills.
Let’s look at the process using the example of Redmi Note 4X.
- Download the firmware file (Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 / 4X (mido).
- Move the downloaded file to the C: \ adb directory. This assumes that the USB debugging option on the phone is already activated and ADB (“Android debug bridge”. a tool that is part of the Android SDK) is installed, configured and works correctly when the phone is connected to a PC. All required binaries are in the ADB folder.
- We connect Xiaomi phone to PC using a USB cable.
- We transfer the device to bootloader mode. You can simply enter the adb reboot bootloader command at the console command line. The second method is to completely turn off the phone, and then press the two buttons “Volume” and “Power” and hold them until the bootloader mode screen appears.
- Check if your phone has booted into fastboot mode. To do this, enter the fastboot devices command. If so, the line should appear under the command:
C: \ adbfastboot devices (alphanumeric code) fastboot
- The alphanumeric code displayed on the line below is the ID of the connected phone.
- If during the previous step no device ID was displayed, you should reinstall the drivers (perhaps the wrong drivers were installed earlier) and check the ADB connection.
- If all the previous steps were completed correctly, and there is an ADB connection, proceed to install TWRP Recovery. We enter the command:
Booting the Xiaomi Redmi 7 & 7a into Recovery Mode
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-mido.img
(do not forget that twrp-3.1.1-0-mido.img is an example for Redmi Note 4X. If the model is different, the firmware file name will be different, but the name must start with twrp or recovery).
- The TWRP installation process takes only a few seconds. When finished, enter the fastboot reboot command in the line.
- That’s all. Installation of TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi phone completed successfully.
What is TWRP
If before that all the instructions concerned the recovery, available to all users right out of the box, now let’s talk about the so-called “custom” recovery, or TWRP. This is the brainchild of third-party developers, it provides much more options for working with Android phones. For example, tvrp recovery allows you to install unofficial, custom firmware, mods (Xposed Framework and others), make a backup of the system in its current state, and much more. Often TWRP is installed while rooting a phone. But, in general, there is no direct dependence of one on the other.
Let’s say right away that installing TVRP will not harm your device. However, the installation process may not go as smoothly as you would like. The worst that can happen is a complete loss of important information or the inability to reboot the smartphone normally. But do not be afraid, as these problems can be eliminated. In order to avoid trouble, strictly follow the instructions that will be given below.
The classic way
And one more method that is used most often and is familiar to very many users:
- Power off your phone
- Press two buttons simultaneously. volume and power up.
- When the vibration is triggered, release the power button but continue to hold the volume up button.
- After the screen with the main menu of the recovery mode (Main Menu. Mi-Recovery0) boots up, release the button.
Now you can choose one of the three options that this menu offers, depending on the purpose for which you needed Recovery mode.
Recovery mode on Xiaomi phone
Recovery mode often acts as the last hope when it is necessary to restore the phone’s working capacity, and it is not possible to perform a system reset to factory settings. What situations might require this? For example, a white screen when the device is turned on or the case when we are dealing with a cyclic reboot. There are only two ways out. reboot into the “Mi-Recovery” mode and select the “Factory Reset” option. You can, of course, solve the problem more radically and reflash the phone. But not every user dares to take this serious step, since it is accompanied by a certain risk, and it requires additional knowledge and skills. Best to resort to recovery.
There are two ways to reboot Xiaomi Mi or Redmi into Recovery mode. Both methods are suitable for inexperienced owners of Xiaomi phones, even those who are always afraid to press the wrong button.
The Easiest Way to Reboot Xiaomi into Recovery Mode
In fact, MIUI’s proprietary software shell makes it much easier to enter Recovery mode than you might think. What should be done:
- open “Settings”;
- go to the tab “About phone” “System update”;
- tap the icon with three dots, which is located in the upper right corner;
- select the item “Reboot into Recovery mode”.
A window will appear in which you want to confirm the selected action.
You will have to wait a few seconds until the Xiaomi phone enters Recovery mode.