How to connect vpn on iPhone
How to enable VPN on Android
To enable VPN connection in the Android operating system, you need to open “Settings” and go to the “” section. In this section, not too often used settings of wireless networks will be available.
After opening the “” section, you will see the network settings. Here you can enable airplane mode, NFC module, tethering mode, and more. In order to set up a VPN connection, go to the appropriate section.
If you have not used VPN connections before, then in the “VPN” section you will have an empty one. To create a new connection, click on the button with the plus sign.
As a result, you will see a menu for creating a new VPN connection. Here you need to enter the name of the VPN connection, select the type of connection and enter other settings. The number of fields that you need to fill in this menu depends on the type of connection you want to use. For example, for a PPTP connection, you only need to enter the connection name and server address. Information about server addresses and other settings can be obtained from the VPN provider.
connect to a vpn from your iphone ! how to setup vpn on iphone
After creating a new connection, it will appear in the “VPN” section. Click on it to enable VPN.
Next, an authorization window on the VPN server should appear. In this window you need to enter your username and password. You can get this data after registering on the VPN provider’s website. If you want to use a VPN connection all the time, you can check the boxes next to the “Save credentials” and “Always VPN” functions. In this case, the VPN will be turned on automatically and without asking for a username / password.
After entering the username and password, you need to click on the “Connect” button. If everything was done correctly, the VPN will turn on and an icon in the form of a key will appear at the top of the screen.
How to disable VPN on Android
If you want to disable VPN connection on Android, then it’s very simple. First you need to go to “Settings” and open the “” section there, and then the “VPN” subsection.
After that, you need to click on the VPN connection, which is now active.
As a result, a menu will appear with information about this VPN connection. To disconnect VPN just click on the “Disconnect” button.
After disconnecting, this VPN connection can be removed. To do this, you need to click on the button with the gear.
And in the menu that appears, click on the “Delete” button.
As a result, the VPN connection will be deleted and your Android device will no longer connect to it. It should be noted that if you enabled VPN through the VPN provider’s application, then you need to disable it in the same way, through the application, and not through the Android settings.
How to turn VPN on and off on Android
VPN or Virtual Private Network is a technology for organizing virtual computer networks over real ones. VPN is used for a wide variety of tasks. For example, a VPN can be used to connect to the Internet, set up a corporate network, or to access blocked sites. In this article, we will tell you how to enable and how to disable VPN connection on an Android smartphone or tablet.
VPN providers for Android
As you can see from the article, VPN on Android works very simply. You can enable and disable secure connection in just a couple of clicks. But, in order to configure everything, you need the server address and login / password for access.
To get this data, you will need to connect to a VPN provider. Now there are many such providers on the network, you need to choose one of them, register on the site and pay for its services. After payment, the provider will provide you with information on how to connect to its servers. VPN bills are usually monthly, but if you purchase a subscription for longer lines, then you get a significant discount. In addition, some providers have a test period during which services are provided free of charge.
Next, we will look at several proven providers that provide a stable and fast connection.
HideMy.name is a high-quality and inexpensive VPN service with high speed and stable connection. The main advantage of this provider is its price.
A month of use here costs only 470 rubles, but when paid for six months, and when renewed for a year. up to 190 rubles. Refunds provided (within 30 days).
At the same time, in case of prepayment for longer lines, discounts are provided. HideMy.name offers a fairly wide selection of servers in different countries of Europe, North America and Asia. The internet speed is 70 Mbps or higher, and the connection is stable. An Android application is available that greatly simplifies the process of enabling and disabling the service. Go to
NordVPN is a well-known VPN service that is popular in Europe and the USA. This service offers a large number of servers and a stable connection. NordVPN is positioned as the most secure VPN. Only the most secure connection options are used here and no logs are written. The service also provides protection against leaks of DNS requests and IP addresses. For quick setup, NordVPN has an Android app. A month of service here costs 12, but if you pay for the service for a year or more, you will receive a noticeable discount. Refunds are provided (within 30 days). Go to
How to set up a VPN on iPhone or iPad
VPN or Virtual Private Network is a way of organizing virtual computer networks over real ones. VPNs are used to solve a wide variety of tasks. For example, using a VPN, you can create a single computer network for several branches of the same company. But, for most ordinary VPN users, this is primarily a way to bypass various blocking.
This tutorial will show you how to set up a VPN on your iPhone or iPad. The material will be relevant for almost all iPad and iPhone models. Includes iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6, 6s, and 7.
VPN setup on iPhone and iPad
In order to set up a VPN on an iPhone or iPad, you need to make the appropriate changes to the settings. To do this, open the “Settings” application and go to the “General” section.
After that, you need to scroll through the list of settings to the very end and open the “VPN” section. In this section you can add VPN connection and enable and disable VPN as needed.
If you have not configured VPN before, then this section will only have the “Add VPN configuration” button. Click on this button to continue.
After clicking on the “Add VPN configuration” button, you will see a menu for setting up a VPN connection. The first thing to choose in this menu is the VPN connection type. Three options will be available here: IKEv2, IPSec, and L2TP. The screenshots below show what the menu looks like in each of these cases.
In order to complete the VPN connection setup, you need to select one of the VPN connection types and fill in all the fields. If you do not know which type of connection to choose and what to enter in the remaining fields, then just contact your VPN provider or system administrator.
After filling in all the fields, you need to save the settings by clicking on the “Finish” button and the VPN connection will be created.
For example, below is a screenshot of how to fill in the fields to connect to the free VPN server of the Hide.Me provider. Select the L2TP connection method, enter a description of the VPN connection, enter the server address, enter the username and password, and the shared key. After filling in all these fields, click on the “Finish” button.
After filling in all the fields in this menu and saving the settings, you will return to the “Basic. VPN” settings section. The VPN connection you created will now appear here. In order to activate it, move the switch to the “Connected” position.
Also, after setting up a VPN, the “VPN” switch will appear in the main settings menu of your iPhone or iPad. It allows you to quickly enable or disable your VPN connection.
As you can see, setting up a VPN on an iPhone or iPad is easy. But, this procedure can be simplified even more, you will learn how to do this below.
How to turn off VPN on iPhone
If you enabled VPN on iPhone using settings, then to disable it, just go to settings again and click on the VPN switch. In this case, it is not necessary to delete the created connection.
If you connected to the VPN using the application, then you need to disconnect through it. In this case, shutdown via settings will not work.
How to connect VPN using the app
In addition to all of the above, there is another way to set up and connect to VPN on Athos or iPad. To do this, you need to use the application from your VPN provider.
As an example, we will show how this is done in the application from the VPN provider HideMyName, detailed information about which we provide below. To get started, launch the application and click on the button “Log in with your account”.
Next, enter the username and password, which can be obtained by registering on the HideMyName website.
After we got into the application, just click on the “Enable protection” button.
After this simple procedure, your iPhone or iPad will connect to the VPN and start working through it.
VPN services for iPhone
VPN on iPhone and iPad is easy to enable. To do this, just create a new configuration and activate the switch in the main settings menu. But, you may have a question where to get the addresses of the servers that you need to enter when creating the configuration?
To do this, you need a VPN service. You need to choose from the services available on the network, register on its website and pay the cost of the subscription. After paying for the subscription, you will receive detailed instructions on how to connect, the server addresses will be indicated there, as well as other information that may be needed when creating a configuration in the iPhone or iPad settings.
Usually, a subscription to such services is billed monthly, but in case of renewal for longer lines, you will receive a significant discount. Also, in some cases, the service provides a test period, during which you can check everything completely free of charge.
Next, we will consider proven services that provide a high connection speed and work quite stably.
HideMy.name is an inexpensive VPN service with a stable connection and high speed. The main advantage of HideMy.name is its adequate price.
A monthly subscription here will cost only 470 rubles. But, when paying for half a year, a month of work will cost only 250 rubles, and with a ready-made subscription. 190 rubles. There is a refund (within 30 days).
At the same time, if you pay for the service for six months, the price will be almost halved, and if you pay for an even longer period, the discount will be even more significant. The service offers a sufficient selection of servers around the world (North America, Europe and Asia). The operating speed is 70 Mbps or more, the connection is stable. An iPhone and iPad app is available that will greatly simplify setup. Go to
NordVPN is a well-known VPN service in the West with a large server base and high connection speed. NordVPN is positioning itself as the most secure VPN. To ensure protection, the most secure connection methods are used here and no logs are kept. In addition, the service protects users from leaks of DNS requests and IP addresses. A proprietary application is provided for setting up the connection on the iPhone. A monthly subscription here costs about 12, but if you pay for a year in advance, the price will be significantly lower. There is a refund (within 30 days). Go to
How to connect and disconnect VPN
Your VPN is now set up and easy to turn on and off whenever you need it. Go to Settings and go to VPN. Now click on the slider to disable or connect VPN
Automatic VPN configuration setup
Download the profile by clicking the corresponding button in the Personal Account and open the file
After you have downloaded the profile, you will see the message “Profile downloaded”. To install a profile, follow the instructions:
- Open the standard “Settings” application.
- Click on “Downloaded Profile” (just below the Apple ID information).
- Click “Install” in the upper right corner, then follow the instructions on the screen.
Setting up your VPN configuration on the device
On the device, click Settings Basic VPN (scroll down a bit) Add VPN configuration This will open the VPN settings window
Select L2TP Type at the top, then fill in your data as follows:
You are now ready to connect the VPN. Select the created configuration in the list, then in the Status click on the slider.
Congratulations! Your network connection is now secure and encrypted! Open your web browser or any app, VPNnected will automatically protect all traffic.
Manual VPN configuration
To manually set up a VPNnected connection, you must receive your connection details.
In your Personal Account you will find 4 fields with data, such as: VPN server iP-address, PSK Shared Key, Username and Connection Password.
To copy the data, just click on the oval fields. Copied fields are highlighted in green.
You need to copy and paste this data one by one when setting up your VPN.
How to connect vpn on iPhone
How to remove VPN configuration
If you ever need to remove VPN, go to the page with all VPN configurations, select the one you need and click Remove VPN.
Connect and disconnect from your VPN
After setting up your VPN, you can open the Settings window and toggle the VPN slider at the top of the screen to connect or disconnect from the VPN. When you are connected to a VPN, the VPN icon appears at the top of the screen in the status bar.
If you have set up multiple VPNs on your iPhone or iPad, you can switch between them by going to Settings General VPN. on the same screen where you added these VPNs.
Connect to IKEv2, L2TP / IPSec and Cisco IPSec VPN on iOS
If the VPN you choose doesn’t support the iOS app, you can set up the VPN using the built-in iOS settings. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad, tap General Category and tap VPN at the bottom of the list. Click Add VPN Configuration to add your first VPN settings to your phone or tablet. If you need to set up multiple VPNs, you can also add them from this screen.
Choose IKEv2, IPSec, or L2TP, depending on the type of VPN you want to connect to. Enter your VPN connection details on this screen to connect. If your VPN is provided by your workplace, it should provide you with this data.
If you have an OpenVPN server that you want to connect to, skip this entire section and scroll down to the last part of the article. OpenVPN networks are handled differently.
PPTP VPN support was removed in iOS 10. PPTP is an old, insecure protocol and you should use a different VPN protocol if possible.
If you need to use certificate files to connect to the VPN, you will have to import them before configuring the VPN. If you’ve emailed the certificate files, you can access them in the Mail app, click on the certificate file attachments, and import them. You can also find them on the website in the Safari browser and click them to import.
iPhone and iPad support PKCS (.cer.crt.der) and PKCS (.p12.pfx) certificate files. If you need these certificate files to connect, the organization that provides you with the VPN server should provide you with them and mention them in the VPN setup instructions. If you want to remove the installed certificates, you will find them in the “Settings” “General” “Profiles”.
Organizations centrally managing their iOS devices can also use the Mobile Device Management Server to transfer certificates and associated VPN settings to their devices.
How to connect to a VPN from your iPhone or iPad
Modern iPhones and iPads have excellent VPN support. L2TP / IPSec and Cisco IPSec are integrated. You can connect to OpenVPN networks and other types of VPN using third party applications.
Prior to iOS 8, the iPhone would automatically disconnect from the VPN when it went to sleep. IOS devices will now stay connected to the VPN even if their screen is off. You don’t need to constantly connect.
The easy way: use a dedicated app
Luckily, our favorite VPNs offer standalone iPhone apps to save you the hassle. so you won’t need instructions in this guide. StrongVPN is great for more advanced users, while ExpressVPN and TunnelBear are a little simpler. ExpressVPN has faster speeds, but TunnelBear has a free tier for those just starting out, which is nice.
For all three apps, you don’t have to mess with your iOS VPN settings. just open the app, sign in, and connect to the country of your choice. It’s not much easier than this.
Connect to OpenVPN VPN
In the case of OpenVPN, there is an official OpenVPN Connect app that you can install. Install the app, launch it and use it to connect to OpenVPN VPN.
To set up a VPN server in the OpenVPN Connect app, you will need to import a profile. this is an.ovpn file. If you want to do it manually, you can connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer, open iTunes and select the connected device. In the Applications section, you will be able to copy the.ovpn file and the corresponding certificate and key files to the OpenVPN application. Then you can connect to VPN from the app.
The OpenVPN Connect app and similar apps are not just the app you use. They provide a system-level VPN connection, so all apps on your device will connect via VPN. just like VPNs that you connect in the usual way from the built-in Settings app.
That’s it for the home user. Large organizations centrally managing their iPhone or iPad deployment will want to avoid per-device configuration and specify the VPN server via configuration profiles or mobile device management server. Provide a configuration profile file with all the VPN settings listed in it and users can download and install this configuration profile to instantly get the corresponding VPN settings configured on their devices.
How to use a VPN on iPhone
VPN (full name. Virtual Private Network) is a way of organizing virtual computer networks over real ones. Why is it needed? They use VPN for a wide variety of tasks. For example, to bypass the blocking of access to certain sites that are prohibited in a particular territory. They use this communication technology in order to increase confidentiality. VPN makes it easy to encrypt your connection. As a result, the requesting IP will not receive your individual number, which says where you connect to the network, but another, tied to a place or a specific country.
So we invite you to work with us to figure out how to set up a VPN on iPhone. At the same time, we promise that the information below will be relevant for almost all models. 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6, 7, etc.
How to remove VPN on iPhone?
To do this, go to “Settings”. Then select the “Basic” section. Then we click on “Profiles”. Find your VPN, tap on it and then press the red “Delete” button.
How to connect VPN on iPhone using the app?
There are many VPN programs available on iPhone. precisely, every VPN provider has its own app. Therefore, you can simply go to the App Store, download and install it.
Although we recommend paying attention to the Betternet program. This is one of the most user-friendly of its kind. To connect and disconnect vpn, you need to tap just one button. At the same time, the time for using the VPN is not limited. True, with the first launch, you will have to configure the profile. With the subsequent entry into the application, this will no longer have to be done.
Also, you will not need to create accounts or use any other additional services. Just go to Betternet, press “Connect” to connect and “disconnect” to disconnect. Also in this application there is no advertising, registration, etc. Even in China it works (there are a lot of restrictions on various resources), where the same popular VPN Master turns out to be useless.
Ask how this free VPN is doing without any financial backing? It’s simple. If desired, each user can become a volunteer and help the project by promoting and installing applications from the App Store. Quite interesting and uncomplicated.
For reference! What other programs for working with vpn can you recommend? These are Tunnel Bear, OpenVPN connect and Cloak. If you have not only an iPhone, but also an Android smartphone, then it is better to use the Turbo VPN program on it.
If the iPhone is connected to the network via a VPN, then this is indicated by the corresponding icon in the top notification bar (usually it does not blink, but is simply displayed). It also happens that he suddenly suddenly disappears. This means that the VPN connection is not working. As a rule, there are two reasons for the problem:
- unstable internet connection;
- crashes on the server providing vpn services.
- To get started, manually reconnect to the VPN using one of the above methods.
- Then check if your connection to the mobile Internet or Wi-Fi network is stable.
- Pay attention to the correctness of the specified settings.
- If you used the application, then just install another service. The program you downloaded and downloaded earlier is likely to be blocking the VPN connection in this area.
- You can also try to restart the device and disable the antivirus software.
VPN setup instructions for iOS
You can enable VPN on iPhone in different ways. Although this is usually done through the built-in device settings or using third-party applications.
Let’s start by taking a closer look at the first option. That is, we will set up a VPN on the phone itself without installing special software from the Internet.
- We pick up the iPhone 6, 7, 8 or some other version of the “apple” gadget.
- Open “Settings”.
- We go to the “Basic” section (on some OS versions, you will need to go to the “Network” subsection).
- Scroll down and click on “VPN”.
- Click the “Add VPN configuration” button.
- A menu will appear in which you will need to set certain parameters. We start by choosing the type of connection. There are only three of them. IKEv2, IPSec and L2TP. Which one to choose and what to enter depends on the VPN provider you choose. For example, to connect to Hide.Me, you can specify everything as in the screenshot.
- After filling in all the fields, tap on “Finish” at the top.
- Then we return to the “Basic. VPN” settings section. The connection you created will now be displayed here. To activate it, set the vpn switch to the appropriate position (by moving the slider to the right).
- In addition, the “VPN” switch will appear in the main settings menu of your iPhone (where Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, airplane mode, etc. are enabled). This means you can quickly activate it next time.
For reference! VPN is a kind of link between your mobile device and the Internet. Its main function is to give a false IP address to mask the user’s real location. Although today many of us use VPNs in order to remove blockages to various prohibited sites.
How to Use the Screen Features VPN Unlimited iOS App Regions
The following tabs are available on the bottom pane of the Regions screen:
Favorites: This is your personal list of preferred VPN servers on iOS. To add a server to your favorites, just click the star icon next to the name of the desired location.
On this tab, you can also activate the Optimal Server function. When enabled, the system will automatically detect the server that should provide the best performance on your iPhone or iPad.
General: Here you can switch between the All and Recommended tabs. The list of recommended regions includes VPN servers to help you enjoy the best performance. If you select All, you will see a complete list of regions, excluding streaming.
Each VPN server displays its current load. The higher it is, the more users are simultaneously connected to the server. Therefore, it is recommended to choose servers with less load.
Streaming: The list includes VPN servers specifically designed to bypass the blocking of video streaming services such as Disney, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, US Netflix, ESPN. HBO Now and many others.
Below is a list of VPN servers with a list of services they can unblock:
- Movies TV: Disney, HBO Now, Hulu, Netflix, Popcornflix, Sony Crackle
- UK-South (Movies TV): BBC iPlayer
- India (Movies TV): Hotstar
- Italy (Movies TV): Rai.TV
KeepSolid VPN Unlimited provides its users with a range of torrent download servers. Below is a list of VPN servers for torrents:
- US-California 1
- France (Paris)
Connect to any of them and enjoy safe and anonymous torrent downloads!
To find the server you want, enter the region name in the search field or scroll down the list of servers.
The button in the upper left corner allows you to run a Ping Test on your iPhone. The ping test shows how long it takes between your device and our VPN servers to exchange information. Thanks to its results, you can make a more informed choice of VPN server. The lower the ping, the higher the connection speed.
Note: The ping test cannot be run while the VPN connection is active, as the results may be erroneous. To run the test, make sure you are not connected to the VPN server.
How to use VPN Unlimited for iOS (iPhone and iPad)
VPN Unlimited offers a 7-day free trial and an optional 30-day money-back guarantee. So you have 37 days to see how good it is.!
This tutorial is a step-by-step guide to using the KeepSolid VPN Unlimited app on your iPhone or iPad. You will learn how to use VPN for iOS, how to set up VPN on iPhone, what features KeepSolid VPN Unlimited offers and much more.
Using VPN Unlimited on iOS devices
We hope that our guide on how to use a VPN on iOS will help you get the most out of the VPN Unlimited app on your iPhone or iPad. Install the best VPN for iOS and enjoy online anonymity and security and unblock websites wherever you are.
Do you have any questions, Комментарии и мнения владельцев or suggestions regarding our VPN service? You can always contact our support team via [email protected].
How to use the settings available in the VPN Unlimited / h2 app menu>
The button in the upper left corner on the main screen opens the menu of our VPN software for iOS. The menu consists of 4 tabs: Account, Settings, Information, Support.
The Account tab provides the following options:
1) Information about your KeepSolid ID: your account email address and the remaining subscription period.
You can find more information about KeepSolid ID on this page.
To log out of your account, click on the button
2) Shopping: You can find all available purchases here. These include various iOS VPN subscription plans as well as add-ons such as:
- Personal server
- Private IP
- Additional slots for devices
Additional services provide an opportunity to enhance your online security. A full list of their benefits is available here.
The Purchase screen also has a Restore Purchase button. It will help you regain access to your subscription if you made an in-app purchase and cannot see it after reinstalling the app or if you are using a new phone.
3) Change password: just enter your current password, then a new password, confirm it and click Change password.
4) Remember password: enable this option to instantly log into the app on your iPhone or iPad. Otherwise, you will have to enter your password each time you start the application.
5) Touch ID recognition: turn it on to access the app with your fingerprint and further protect your privacy.
Face recognition (for iPhone X users): enable this feature to access the app using a face scan.
6) We recommend: here you will find the best KeepSolid services for productivity and security on the network.
The next tab is Settings, where the following options are presented:
1) Protocols: select a protocol for connecting to our VPN servers or enable the Optimal function so that the system can choose the most suitable protocol for your current connection conditions.
2) Trusted Networks: This feature allows you to whitelist WI-FI networks that you think are completely safe. The VPN connection on your iPhone will be automatically disabled on trusted networks. information about this feature is available on this page.
3) DNS Firewall: enable this function to provide additional security on the network. DNS Firewall blocks malicious sites, protecting you from viruses. You will find more information about this feature here.
4) Service Data: This feature helps our support team solve your problem faster, so we recommend leaving it enabled.
5) Kill Switch (currently only available with the IKEv2 protocol): enable the function to instantly block Internet access in the event of a sudden VPN connection failure and avoid personal data leakage.
6) Delete Profile: Deletes the VPN profile from your iOS device. Please note that you need an installed profile to connect to the VPN server.
Let’s see what functions are available on the Info tab:
3) About VPN Unlimited: click here and you will see the application version information as well as the KeepSolid VPN Unlimited mission
Need help with the app? Navigate to the last Support tab where you will find the following options:
1) FAQ: View the answers to the most frequently asked questions.
2) Customer support: fill out a support form and we will contact you as soon as possible.
3) Connection Assessment: Turn on this feature to assess the quality of your VPN connection and help us improve the app. We will ask for feedback every time you disconnect from the VPN server.
VPN Unlimited iOS Home Screen
Let’s start from the home screen of our VPN for iOS. To establish a connection to the VPN server, click on the Start button.
The first time you connect to the VPN server, you need to allow adding VPN configurations and downloading the VPN profile to your iPhone. Click Allow and confirm the installation of the profile using Touch ID.
There is a world map on the main screen, where you can see the location of your real and virtual IP address. When you click on Virtual IP or Real IP, a window opens with information about the type of connection, IP address, country and city.
Note that you can also connect to the VPN server by simply selecting it on the map and pressing the power button.
The button on the main screen of the VPN for iPhone application opens the Events window with available promotions and discounts.
The name of the current VPN server is displayed at the bottom of the main screen. Click on it and you will be taken to the Regions screen where you can select a different VPN server.
Ready to try our VPN?
Download KeepSolid VPN Unlimited, get a 7-day free trial, 30-day money-back guarantee, and start surfing the Internet anonymously, securely and without limits!
Potential Problems Connecting VPN to iPhone
If iPhone connects to the network via VPN, you will see information about this under the form of the corresponding icon in the top notification bar. There are situations when he starts to disappear unexpectedly. Often the cause of problems is:
- unstable internet connection;
- crashes on servers offered by VPN.
Which application to choose for your iPhone?
Naturally, before you start surfing as safely as possible, you need to find the perfect app. It allows you not only to protect against external attacks, but it will not itself steal information from you. We present to your attention the TOP 3 apps for your iPhone.
How to set up VPN on iPhone manually?
To understand how a virtual private network works, you need to consider a manual configuration method. The example will use a free VPN Gate service with L2TP / IPsec technology as a VPN service. The setup will be done on the built-in iOS operating system. The setup process is as follows:
- Go to “Settings” on your phone or tablet, then select the “VPN” option, or “Basic” and “VPN”
- In the line “Type” you need to specify L2TP
- In the “Description” field you need to specify an arbitrary name for the connection
- When all the fields are filled in, you will need to enter the address of the VPN server with which you want to access the Internet. To get the server address, you need to open the vpngate.net/en page. Here, select the best option in the large Public VPN Relay Servers table, in the L2TP / IPsec column. Only those servers that are up-to-date are green;
- When the choice is made, you need to copy the numeric IP of your choice or a string with the ending onengw.net into the “Server” field
- In the lines “Account”, “Password” and “Shared Key” you need to write the word VPN
- When all the fields are filled in, click on the “Finish” button.
If you want to start using a private virtual network, then in the VPN settings menu you need to switch “Status” to “ON”. If you want to turn it off. you need to remove the switch to “OFF” If everything is configured correctly, you will see the corresponding indicator in the top panel. Now you know how to manually set up VPN on iPhone.
What is VPN and why is it needed
VPN, or virtual private network, is a reliable way to protect the data that you transfer over the Internet. Technically, a VPN is a separate encrypted channel within a shared global network. When you connect to the Internet via a virtual network, you use the same sites and applications, but as if on top of the connection provided by your ISP. This means that a working Internet is required for VPN to function.
After connecting the virtual network on your device, all the data that you transfer will first pass through a secure channel to the VPN server, and from there go to the open Internet. Thus, neither the ISP nor the attackers will be able to see which pages you visit, and your data, such as passwords, will be reliably protected from theft.
There is another undeniable advantage of using a virtual private network, which has become especially important in recent months, when Google services and many other sites turned out to be accidentally blocked by government agencies in pursuit of lawbreakers. Using VPN, you will be able to use familiar resources without failures.
How to manually set up a VPN for iPhone or iPad
For a better understanding of the VPN activation process, it is worth considering the manual configuration method. As a VPN service, the example below uses a free VPN Gate project, L2TP / IPsec technologies and iOS firmware.
- Go to the “Settings” application.
- You need to select the “VPN” option (or “Basic” = “VPN”).
- Click the Add VPN Configuration button.
- Specify “Type”. L2TP.
- In the “Description” field, write an arbitrary name for the connection.
- After filling in all the fields, you will need to enter the address of the VPN server through which you want to access the Internet. To get it, go to vpngate.net/en/ and take a look at the large Public VPN Relay Servers table and the L2TP / IPsec column. It is possible to use only those servers that have a green checkmark in this column.
- After making your selection, copy the lines with the ending. onengw.net or a numeric IP of your choice (the first option is recommended) in the “Server” field.
- In the fields “Account”, “Password” and “Shared key” write the word vpn.
- After filling in all the fields, click the “Finish” button.
- To start using the virtual network, in the VPN settings menu, switch “Status” to “On”. If everything is in order, you will see the corresponding indicator on the top bar.
Setting up VPN on iPhone or iPad
Many owners of Apple smartphones are intimidated by setting up a VPN on the iPhone: this procedure is associated with something complicated and difficult for an ordinary user. But using popular applications, you can set up VPN in a few clicks, including for iPad and iPod Touch.
VPN setup using apps
The same can be done even easier using the free Betternet app. This is the easiest way to set up VPN on Apple devices. After installing and launching it, you will find only two buttons: Connect and Disconnect.
With the only tap on the screen, you can start a connection via VPN or disconnect it and start using the Internet directly. Many people wonder why it is free. If in the case of manual configuration we are talking about an academic project, then Betternet can be helped by installing free applications from partners from the App Store.
The notion that only hackers and attackers need encryption is fundamentally wrong. Confidentiality of data transmitted over the Internet has long become a norm and a necessity, because information is expensive and privacy is inviolable.
It is recommended to use the DDNS name. you can continue to use it even if the corresponding DDNS IP address changes in the future. However, in some countries you may not be able to use the DDNS hostname. in this case, you must use the IP address.
It is recommended to use the DDNS name. you can continue to use it even if the corresponding DDNS IP address changes in the future. However, in some countries you may not be able to use the DDNS hostname. in this case, you must use the IP address.
- Enter 0.0.0.0/0 in the Route Forwarding field. Make sure you enter the correct value for this field. Otherwise, you will not be able to establish a connection to the VPN server.
- After that click the “Save” button.
- Go to the Settings app.
- In the network settings Connections go to the Other VPN settings menu.
- Click the menu and select Add VPN Profile.
- The screen for setting up a new VPN connection will open. Enter any name in the name field, for example, VPN Gate and select the L2TP / IPSec PSK connection type.
- On this screen, you need to enter either the hostname or the IP addresses of the server from the pool of open VPN Gate servers http://www.vpngate.net/en/.
- Open the list of public relay servers and select the VPN server you want to connect to.
- From the iPhone / iPad home screen, select the Settings app.
- Select the VPN option (or go to the Basic VPN menu), then click Add VPN Configuration.
- On the settings page, select the L2TP Type and add a connection name in the Description field, for example “VPN Gate”.
How to Setup a VPN on iPhone (in 2021)
- Next, on this screen, you need to enter either the hostname or the IP addresses of the server from the pool of open VPN Gate servers http://www.vpngate.net/en/ (for the L2TP / IPsec column Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android No client required in the server list must be ticked).
- Open the list of open relay servers and select the VPN server you want to connect to.
For the L2TP / IPsec column Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android No client required in the server list, a check mark must be marked that indicates support for the custom L2TP / IPsec protocol.
- Copy the DDNS hostname (identifier ending in “.opengw.net”) or IP address (numerical value xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and enter it in the “Server address” field on the configuration screen.
Internet without limits
When the connection is established, all network traffic will go through the VPN server. You can also go to ipinfo.io to view the global IP address. You will be able to see the location visible from the network, which will be different from your actual location.
When connected to a VPN, you will be able to visit blocked websites and use blocked apps.
Starting a VPN connection
- You can establish a new connection to the VPN server at any time by selecting the required configuration in the VPN settings menu and setting the Status switch to “On”.
- iOS shows a “VPN” indicator in the top bar if a VPN connection is established.
- By going to the configuration, you can get the following information: assigned IP address and connection time.