How to Connect the Internet Through a Phone Cable
Mobile Internet is still a fairly expensive and slow way to connect to the World Wide Web. Therefore, using it as the main Internet connection for a desktop computer is rather inconvenient.
However, there are times when there is simply no other option. For example, during a trip on vacation or breakdown of the main Internet provider. In such cases, you have to resort to the use of mobile Internet. In this article we will talk about how to connect a computer to the Internet through a mobile phone.
Mobile phone as an access point
The easiest way to connect your computer to the Internet through a mobile phone is to use the “Access Point” function. This feature is in most modern smartphones.
After turning on the “Access Point” function, your mobile phone will start working like a regular Wi-Fi router, creating a Wi-Fi network with Internet access. In order for the Internet to work on your computer via a mobile phone, it is enough to connect to this Wi-Fi network.
It should be noted that the use of the “Access Point” function has several disadvantages:
- Not every mobile phone supports this feature. As a rule, only advanced smartphones provide such an opportunity.
- Using the “Access Point” function leads to a faster discharge of the battery of the mobile phone.
- Using the “Access Point” function leads to increased consumption of Internet traffic.
- To connect to an access point, a Wi-Fi module must be installed on the computer.
Mobile phone as a modem
The second way to connect your computer to the Internet through a mobile phone is to use your mobile phone as a modem. Unlike “Access Points”, this method works with most modern mobile phones.
Since this method of connecting to the mobile Internet is quite complicated, we will consider it step by step.
Step No. 1. Connect the mobile phone to the computer.
Connect your mobile phone to your computer using a cable or Bluetooth. After connecting, install the program to synchronize the mobile phone with the computer. This can be Nokia Suite if you have a Nokia phone, or Samsung Kies if you have a Samsung phone. If a driver disk came with the phone, install them as well.
After connecting and installing all the necessary programs, the modem of your mobile phone should appear in the Device Manager.
Step number 2. Creating a new Internet connection.
Once you have connected your mobile phone to your computer, you can begin to create a new Internet connection. To do this, open the Control Panel. Network and Internet. Network and Sharing Center.
In the “Network and Sharing Center” window, click on the link “Configure a new network connection.”
After that, the “Establish a network connection” window will open before you. Here you need to select the “Configure telephone connection” and click on the “Next” button.
In the next window, you need to specify the dialed number, username and password. This data will be used by the modem to connect to the Internet. To find out your dialed number, login and password. Contact your mobile service provider.
After entering all the data, click on the “Connect” button. If you did everything correctly, then your computer must be connected to the Internet.
There are situations when there is a laptop, but there is no Internet connection via fiber optic cable. Then the question arises whether it is possible to connect the Internet to a computer through a telephone, and how to do it. To connect the network to a PC in any conditions, a 3g / 4g modem will help. In the absence of such a device, a smartphone will perfectly replace it. In this article, we will consider connecting a laptop / PC to the Internet via phones with various OSs, and help to set the correct parameters.
We make a Wi-Fi access point from the phone
To connect your computer to the Internet, your smartphone will act as a router. To do this, you need to set certain settings on it and make it an access point for accessing the network. But, before proceeding with the setup, check if there is Internet on the phone. If it is absent, replenish your account or contact your mobile network operator. Consider setting up an access point for each OS installed on smartphones.
- To configure the access point, first go to the “Settings” menu in the “Tools” tab.
- In the window that opens, select the “” tab.
- After that, select “Modem Mode”.
- We move the slider to the on position “Access Points” and configure the connection settings.
- We write “Network Name”, “Protection” and “Password”.
- Click “Save”.
- An icon will appear in the “Notification Panel” (at the top of the screen).
Starting with version 4 of the OS, smartphones from Apple have the opportunity to create a Personal Hotspot (personal hotspot). Wirelessly, up to 3 devices can be connected to the gadget simultaneously.
- Turn on Wi-Fi on your mobile phone.
- Go to the “Settings” tab.
- Select the sub-item “Modem Mode”.
- We activate this mode by moving the slider to the active position. In the same window, specify the password for the created network.
- A notification will appear on the device’s main screen that the modem mode is active. In addition, the number of connected devices will also be displayed here.
You may also be interested in the article.:
Before setting up the access point, you must connect your phone to the Internet. A corresponding icon will appear in the “Control Panel”.
- Go to “Settings”. On the main screen, drag left and select the appropriate section from the proposed list.
- In the menu that opens, select the sub-item “General Internet”.
- We translate the slider to the right, activating the required mode.
- Select the “Installation” key and go to the connection settings.
- Here you can change the network name, security settings, and come up with a new access code to connect to the Internet via phone.
- To save the parameters, click on the corresponding button at the bottom of the screen.
- The setup steps are the same on all versions of the system, but the number of connected devices is different. For example, on Windows Phone 8. 8 devices, on WP7. Only 5.
You may also be interested in the article:
- How to use the phone as a modem: connect via cable, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
PC / laptop setup
Internet connection settings are the same as when connecting to a regular router. Just check that the parameters are in automatic mode.
- Start key.subdivision of management. item with setting up networks and sharing.
- Choosing a wireless network connection.
- Then we move to “Properties”.
- We select the subsection “Internet Protocol 4 versions”.
- We verify that obtaining the IP address and DNS server address is automatic.
- We save the selected settings by clicking on the “OK” window area.
On a MacBook, you only need to select your smartphone in the available connections, enter the previously set password and wait for the gadgets to connect. When connected, the corresponding icon in the form of two connected chain links appears on the top line of the PC / laptop, and the number of connected devices is displayed on the phone.
Connect via USB
To connect the Internet to a computer, no matter what OS is installed on your smartphone, using a USB cable, we connect the included phone to a PC / laptop. With the correct settings for the mobile phone, after installing the drivers, the operating system itself identifies it as a modem.
- In the settings menu, select the “” tab.
- Go to the subcategory “Modem Mode”.
- In the “USB modem”, drag the slider to the active position.
- After that, the settings for connecting the gadget to the computer will indicate that it is connected as a modem.
Apple products connect the same via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB cable. The difference will only be in the last action. With this type of connection, your smart will spend a minimal amount of energy.
- After activating modem mode, the operating system will offer you a connection method.
- From it should choose the necessary.
- In this case, it is a USB cable.
Just do not forget to turn off the modem mode when you are not using it, since the phone will waste energy searching for paired devices.
On devices running Windows Phone, there is no function to use it as a USB modem. But you can connect it in any other way: by creating an access point and joining via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
PC / laptop setup
To connect to the telephone Internet via a computer in Windows, first of all, install drivers on your phone. They can go bundled on the disk that came with the gadget. If the disk was not available, the software can be downloaded on the Internet from the manufacturer’s website.
- As in the previous method, all connection settings occur through the “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Go to the subsection “Local Area Connection”.
- As in the previous method, we check that the automatic settings are correct.
To connect an Android smartphone to a MacBook, you need to download the driver and install it. To do this, simply follow the instructions on the screen. If everything is configured correctly, then your gadget will see the modem and connect to the network.
Configure Bluetooth connection
To connect the phone via Bluetooth wireless technology to a computer, you need to make sure that these modules are operational on both devices. And only after that set up an Internet connection.
All actions will be similar to the above. They should differ only in the choice of modem mode.
- In the selection window, put the slider in the active state opposite the item “Bluetooth-modem”.
- Next, you only need to configure the pairing of the PC / laptop and your smartphone.
Stages of actions do not differ from the above, except for the last. After setting the modem mode, activate the Bluetooth module.
First, check your smartphone’s connection to the Internet and only then distribute it to your PC or laptop.
- In the “Shared Internet” section (we examined how to switch to it above), select “Sharing” via Bluetooth.
- In the window that opens, click on “Enable”.
The last step is to pair your smartphone with a laptop or computer.
- To do this, you need to activate the Bluetooth module on your device.
- Search for available devices.
- Enter the code confirming the connection.
After that, automatically connect to the Internet. All actions on the PC will be similar to other types of network settings.
We also recommend reading the article.:
Fly tutorial: Become the guru of your Android smartphone in 6 steps. Step 2: Manage and Do It Yourself
The modern world is literally saturated with high-speed Internet. Home PCs are connected to fiber optic networks, and Wi-Fi zones are universally available outside the home. However, sometimes situations arise when the user at the most necessary moment is left without an Internet connection, even in the familiar environment. For example, there may be problems on the provider side or on a long trip, you cannot find the wireless Internet point. In such cases, you can connect the Internet through a mobile phone. The main condition for this. A mobile phone or smartphone should be equipped with Internet modules 3G and Wi-Fi.
There are 3 main ways to connect the Internet to a PC using a cell phone:
- Use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot
- Set the phone as a usb modem
- Create a PC connection via phone
We will analyze in detail each of these methods.
Phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot
The easiest way to connect your computer to the Internet using a mobile gadget is to turn your mobile phone into a wireless access point. We will tell you how to do this using a smartphone on the Android version six.
Open the settings, click on “” and select “Modem Mode”. Next, select “Wi-Fi hotspot.” After you turn on the access point, the name of this point and a password to enter will appear. You can also set up a WPS connection for safe Internet access. The system will ask you to choose one of two connection modes: by pressing a button or through a PIN code.
Here you can see the number of connected or blocked users.
The last step is to set up a wireless network in the settings of your PC. If everything is done correctly, start the mobile Internet on your device, and the computer will see your phone as an access point. All that remains is to enter the password and you can work.
Note that connecting a computer through an access point on the phone has two significant drawbacks:
- The “Access Point” function loads the battery heavily, so the Android phone runs out pretty quickly.
- The computer must be equipped with a Wi-Fi module. Therefore, this method is suitable, for the most part, for laptops.
Connect the phone to the computer as a usb modem
The second method, with which you can connect your computer to the Internet, is more complicated, but it is suitable for both a stationary PC and a laptop, while the Wi-Fi module is not required. We will analyze this method in steps:
Step 1. You need to connect the phone to the computer using a usb cable.
Step 2. The computer will inform you that the necessary drivers have been installed, and a window will appear on the phone screen with the choice of connecting via usb. Click Cancel.
Step 3. In the phone’s settings, select “” and then click “Modem Mode”. Here you need to click on the button that turns on the usb modem.
Step 4. The computer will begin to install the necessary drivers. You will need to allow the connection to the modem that the phone has turned into and indicate the type of connection. After that, the Internet on the computer will be connected.
As a rule, the modem driver is installed in the memory of the smartphone itself. Sometimes, such software may be on the disk bundled with the device. We also draw the attention of those who use a computer with an operating system older than Windows 7. To connect the Internet via a cell phone in this way, you will have to download and install all the necessary drivers yourself.
Create a new PC connection for the phone
You can access the Internet from a computer through a telephone by creating a new connection. This method also consists of several steps:
Step 1. Connect the phone to the computer via the usb cable. As described above, the system itself will install all the necessary drivers from the gadget’s memory.
Step 2. Next, you need to create a new Internet connection. Open the “Control Panel” on the computer, then select “Internet and Network” and click on “Network and Sharing Center”. Here you need to select the line “Configure a new network connection”. After that, the “Establish a network connection” dialog should appear. Here you need to click on the line “Configure the phone’s connection”, and then on the “Next” button.
Step 3. Now the system will ask you to enter your username and password about the service provider and the number to be dialed. This is usually 9 # or 99 #.
If everything is done correctly, it remains to click the “Connect” button, after which the computer will gain access to the Internet through a mobile phone. If you managed to do everything right, then the PC will connect to the Internet.
This method also has a couple of disadvantages:
- The quality and speed of connection depends on the service provider
- If the owner of the phone uses an unfixed tariff, connecting through a new access point can quickly empty the mobile bill.
One way or another, all three methods by which you can connect a computer to the Internet using a telephone are designed to work fully on the Web. You just have to make sure that the smartphone is charged, and there are enough funds on the account.
You can also watch a training on connecting a computer to the Internet.
The last lesson of the second step of our training course will be devoted to how to set up parental control on a smartphone. Do not miss!