How to connect a microphone to Android
Headphones as a microphone. How to connect a microphone to the phone: The easiest ways
You want to record a video for YouTube on your phone, but you don’t know how to connect the microphone to the phone?
Your smartphone, regardless of the model, uses a specific form of connector (four-pin), which can accept up to 2 channels of sound per input.
This way the smartphone picks up external stereo sound. It also provides 2 channels of stereo headphone output.
This connector is also called “socket”. This is where the pins for the input line and the output line intersect.
If it does not, the sound will not be clear and clean. The contacts on the stereo microphone jack (TRS) are lined up differently than the smartphone’s contacts (four-pin).
So you can’t just plug a gadget into your smartphone and expect it to work.
What you need in order to get quality sound is a microphone that has a built-in adapter (like the Rhode Smartlav or GORA Lavalier).
Another option. Use an adapter and a standard microphone.
The type of adapter depends on the microphone, of course, but here again it’s important to make a good choice.
Just remember that the plug on the adapter should be four-pin, and the socket should probably be either TRS or XLR connectors. These are the two most common types of plugs.
Instructions on how to set up a microphone
As soon as the system performs the pairing with the headset, it will appear in the “Device Manager” list. You will be able to change all available settings: to increase and decrease the volume of the recording, to enable and disable it, in case several microphones are connected at the same time you can make a default choice, etc.д.
Before you start using the microphone you must set the phone to “Airplane mode”. SIM card will be inactive, which will exclude calls from subscribers. Then go to “Recorder” application and activate recording. For sound recording on the Android operating system you can use different applications from Google Play.
You can adjust these parameters in 3 ways:
- Main menu. There is a gear icon on the screen, through which you can enter the menu, which is responsible for the parameters of the system. Some models have a sensitivity boost function.
- Using the program in the phone operating system. It can be built-in or loaded additionally.
- Engineering menu. With it you can edit the values for smooth operation. To enter it you need to know the encoding. you can find it on the Internet. After getting access to the engineering menu, you need to go to the Audio tab, select the Normal Mode. Then you should open the Type section to adjust the microphone, click on the Mic icon and increase the sensitivity from 0 to 6. After that you should save the changes and reboot the phone.
Instructions for setting up the microphone
Before you start using the microphone, you must switch the phone to “Air mode”. SIM card will be inactive, which will exclude calls from subscribers. Then you need to enter the “Voice recorder” application and activate recording. For sound recording on the Android operating system you can use different applications from Google Play.
There are 3 ways to adjust these parameters:
- Main menu. There is a gear icon on the screen, through which you can enter the menu, which is responsible for the parameters of the system. Some models have a feature to increase the sensitivity.
- Using the program in the phone operating system. It can be built-in or additionally downloaded.
- Engineering menu. It can be used to edit the values for smooth operation. For entering it is necessary to know the coding. it can be found on the Internet. After gaining access to Engineering menu you need to enter the Audio tab, select Normal Mode. Then open the Type section to adjust the microphone, click on the Mic icon and increase the sensitivity level from 0 to 6. After that, you need to save the changes and reboot the phone.
How to connect an AKG Lyra microphone to your iPhone / Android?
Whether you’re recording a podcast or voice-over, making field recordings, collecting inspirational audio files on the go or broadcasting live to fans, nothing beats the convenience and portability of a smartphone. But while iPhones and Android phones are powerful devices, outperforming many computers and cameras, let’s face it: their sound features leave a lot to be desired.
Sure, microphones built into smartphones can sound fine for calls, but when it comes to professional recording or online broadcasts, they just aren’t right. These microphones use tiny transducers that produce noise and easily distort the sound, making it difficult to optimize gain. And because the microphones on the phones are tuned to pick up a narrower bandwidth of sound, particularly the middle range of the human voice, they’re not optimal for full-frequency recording or live broadcasts.
Connecting an external microphone to your phone will exponentially improve the quality of your recordings. AKG Lyra USB multi-mode microphone. The perfect partner for your smartphone: Lyra records professional-quality, high-resolution sound, offers four directional modes for any recording scenario, and interacts easily with iOS and Android devices.
If you’re using Lyra with a smartphone, you’ll need a simple adapter. Start by connecting the phone adapter, then connect the microphone. Lyra has a USB-C port located on the underside of the device. Connect the included USB C-USB A cable. Your next step will depend on your phone:
iPhone devices (iOS 10.7): to provide enough power to use Lyra with your iPhone, you need to add a powered USB hub. Connect the included Lyra USB C-to-USB A cable to the Lyra output, then connect the other end to the USB hub, then connect the hub’s output to your iPhone using the Apple Lighting adapter for the USB camera (not included).
Android OTG devices (9): plug the included USB C-USB A cable into the OTG (On the Go) adapter that plugs into your phone. Many newer Android phones include an OTG adapter to help transfer data from an old phone to a new one, so you may already have what you need.Do not forget the headphones (always start with a low volume to protect your hearing). Launch your preferred recording app or turn on your favorite streaming platform, adjust the microphone gain, and you’re ready to start creating or streaming studio-quality sound.
How to connect a microphone to an Android phone via cable
The options for cable connection of external recording devices are not as numerous as you might think. There are essentially only two. through a standard headphone jack, the so-called “jack 3.5” (Jack 3.5 or 3.5mm female TRRS). And through the USB port for charging, using the OTG cable. However, in both cases, you’ll need an adapter to connect.
Headphone jack connection
In the case of the headphone jack, the problem is the number of pins on the plug. smartphones have four (TRRS), while microphones usually have only three (TRS). The exception are specialized microphones designed specifically for use with smartphones. But they are not easy to find, and not all of them will fit, and conventional microphones in any case will not work if you just plug them into the appropriate port of the device.
- The third pin (second ring of the plug) on the OMTP is for the microphone and the CTIA is for ground.
- The fourth pin (third ring) on the OMTP is ground and the CTIA is for the microphone.
- The other pins (first ring and tip) are identical in both standards.
This creates a problem, which is solved either by carefully selecting an adapter for your device, or by purchasing another adapter, this time an OMTP/CTIA. It is noteworthy that some modern smartphones are equipped with either an adapter type TRS/TRRS or OMTP/CTIA, or both at all.
Connect via micro-USB or Type-C connector
The question of how to connect an external microphone to an Android phone with a USB charging jack is much easier to solve than in the case of the “jack. You’ll need an OTG cable and an adapter for Type-C or micro-USB, depending on your smartphone. This adapter often comes bundled with your smartphone, but if you don’t have one, it’s easy to buy one. Otherwise it’s pretty straightforward.
Connecting via Bluetooth
- Turn on Bluetooth on your device. This can be done either through the top “curtain” quick access, in one swipe and one click activating the wireless connection, or through the menu “Settings”, under “Network and Internet.
- After turning on the BT-module on the phone to open a list of available Bluetooth devices. If the switch was made in the “Settings”, it will be visible immediately. If not, you need to hold down the Bluetooth indicator in the “curtain” on the quick access panel for a few seconds.
- For some wireless microphones, the way to turn on the network may vary, but in most cases, just turn it on and press the power button. After a few seconds, the device will appear in the list of available devices, and you can connect it.
- The pairing is quick enough, and then you only have to use it for its intended purpose.
In addition, to be sure that the wireless microphone works and records sound, it is advisable to do a preliminary test. For this purpose, a simple enough application Mic Test is suitable, allowing you to make a short recording and listen to the quality without any additional labor. However, it’s worth remembering that video and audio recording, even with the Bluetooth microphone connected and enabled, will still be done through your smartphone’s standard devices. As in the case of the cable connection.
If we talk about recommendations for connecting the microphone to the phone, it is worth noting several.
- You should pick up the microphone as much as possible according to your needs. If it will be used for an interview, it will have some requirements, but if it is used for sound recording, then completely different. And the more you understand why you need a microphone, the better option you can choose.
- Another recommendation is to find the right adapter for the microphone. And you should always check its performance when you buy it, so you won’t buy a poor quality thing and find it at the most inopportune moment.
- You should use a special software for the best control of the microphone. Its use will make it much easier to use and save a lot of time. In addition, this software often makes it possible to configure the microphone in accordance with the wishes of the user. I should add here that it happens very rarely that the phone automatically adjusts the microphone so that its work is satisfactory to the user.
- It is better to give preference to products of proven brands. Their devices are made of quality materials, so they work smoothly and give a hardware-level ability to provide good, clear sound recording in almost any environment.
Learn more about how to connect a microphone to your phone in the following video.
How to connect an external condenser microphone to your Android device
There are many reasons why one might want to connect a high-end microphone to a mobile device.
With a cell phone you can achieve almost studio quality recording. The sound source can be really useful.
Regarding high quality video, no problem here.
Mobile image sensors are responsible for their processing, which creates a decent opportunity to record video.
But a low-quality audio signal can be very scary for novice video producers and video bloggers.
If you’re a mobile videographer and you want to optimize the quality of your audio recording or you just want to find a better alternative to existing solutions, an external microphone is worth considering.
It’s obvious. With that said, here are a few mobile gadgets to look out for.
It is also worth mentioning that any microphone is detected as a headset when connected to the phone in any of the ways mentioned. Hence: when you listen to the recorded material, and in general any sounds from a smartphone with a connected microphone, the whole audio stream will be directed to it and you won’t hear anything. And only when you disconnect the microphone from the phone can your gadget play sounds again.
Allow this connection situation, if you want to listen regularly, and with the possibility of using the microphone as a full-fledged headset, although the latter is extremely controversial and hardly at all necessary, but still enough to buy a cable branching adapter from a single connector 3.5mm TRRS to two separate 3.5mm TRS each, for separate microphone and headphone devices. This type of connection is relevant not only for phones, but also for laptops, tablets, computers.
Now, having enough knowledge about how to connect and adjust the microphone, following the explanations described in our article, the purchase of a microphone for your phone to record video will be easy and error-free.