How to configure Wi-Fi on your Asus laptop
Setting up Wi-Fi on your Windows 7 laptop: Connecting via router
Using Wi-Fi allows you to get quality access to the Internet, without using extra wires. This is convenient if you need to connect several computers in the house or office to one communication channel. Wireless communication is widely used in public places, giving a large number of people the opportunity to use the Network. However, for this to happen, those who use Wi-Fi must have a properly configured computer, and the router must work without problems. This article will tell you how to configure Wi-Fi on your laptop.
Setting up Wi-Fi on a Windows 7 laptop begins with checking that the adapter is turned on. Different models may have different keys for this purpose.
Important! To determine how to do this on this model, first of all, pay attention to the symbols on the function keys. The one that is required has the designation of an antenna that emits a signal.
After pressing the selected key and Fn the signal icon should change its color from red to green or blue.
In this case it is possible to turn on Wi-Fi in HP by pressing F12 with Fn key pressed.
Lenovo can be turned on with the toggle switch on the bottom or side of the computer.
For models belonging to this brand, it is necessary to switch on by pressing the F3 key, provided that Fn is pressed.
For laptops, belonging to the brand Asus, the adapter is turned on by pressing F2 with the Fn key. Asus laptops do not have switches for this purpose.
Checking the Wi-Fi hardware module on your laptop
To understand if the wireless module is functioning, you need to enter the “Device Manager”.
To do this, use the “Start” button at the bottom left of the screen and type “Device Manager” in the search bar. Using the link that appears, go to this section. Examine the folder of network connections and look for the line relating to the Wi-Fi adapter. If it is there and the driver is working properly, then the hardware module is installed and fully functional.
Turn on the Wi-Fi adapter in your Asus laptop
When looking at the bottom right of the screen sometimes you cannot find the icon related to the wireless connection. In this case, the Wi-Fi adapter is not active on it.
Before you connect your “Asus” laptop to the Wi-Fi, you need to see its status in the list of available devices. You need to do the following:
- Click on “Start” in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.
- In the search line write “manager” and in the appeared list select the desired line. After that the “Device Manager” window opens.
- Find the folder related to network devices and open it.
Now you can see a list of network devices present on the laptop. In it, you need to look for a line that has at least one of the following lines: “Wireless”, “Wi-Fi” or “802.11”. If it is found, this indicates the presence of a wireless adapter.
If the required line is missing, this indicates that the driver is not installed.
In this case, you need to refer to the manufacturer’s website and choose the appropriate version, which must match the laptop model and the operating system used. Once the driver has been downloaded, you need to install it on your laptop. To do this it will be sufficient to run the installation program.
Please note! When choosing from the manufacturer’s website, it is important to note that laptops Asus can have adapters from different manufacturers, and you should only download the one you need.
It is convenient to use the HWVendorDetection program to find out the manufacturer of your adapter. Once launched, it will indicate the necessary information.
After that, you will need to look again at the list of installed devices and check that the driver is installed and that the router is functioning normally.
Turn on Wi-Fi with the switch or a combination of buttons on the keyboard
To access the wireless network on your Asus laptop, you need to turn it on. If you don’t do this, you won’t get Wi-Fi access even if the driver is installed.
First we have to figure out how to turn on Wi-Fi on the computer “Asus”. One of the two switch types is used on notebooks:
Newer models use the second method, but before that, the first option can be used to connect.
Switching on with the keys is done by pressing Fn and one of the keys F1, F2, F12. The latter depends on the laptop model used. On Asus, the combination FnF2 is used in most cases.
Important! Press and hold the first key and at the same time press F2. Usually, the function key that turns on the wireless connection is shown with a picture of an antenna.
Sometimes the click works, but still no Wi-Fi on the Asus X54H. In this case you should restart the computer. After that the connection via Wi-Fi should work.
Turn on Wi-Fi on your Asus laptop without the Fn-key
There is a possibility of how to enable Wi-Fi on the laptop Asus, without the use of function keys.
- On the system tray, find the Wi-Fi icon. Clicking on it, you need to go to the section for managing network access.
- In the menu on the right side of the screen go to the properties of the adapter.
- Now you can see what connections are installed on the laptop. One of them is wireless. Click on it with the mouse and in the context menu that appears, select the top line “Enable”.
Now the wireless connection is active.
How To Fix Asus Wi-Fi Not Working in Windows 10/8/7
Connect using the “BIOS”
When starting the operating system, the user is given the opportunity to get into the BIOS, where the basic settings that determine the operation of the computer are set. This is another option on how to connect the laptop “Asus” to Wi-Fi. To login on your Asus laptop, you need to press and hold F2 at startup.
Please note! It is required to find the section where the desired parameter should be located. Usually it is in the section related to security issues.
The parameter can be called “Wireless Network Interface” or similar. To turn it on, you need to unlock it, confirm the input and exit the BIOS. This answer, in particular, on how to configure Wi-Fi on the netbook “Asus” EEE PC.
How to turn on Wi-Fi on your Asus laptop: step by step.
Configure the router
- Connect the router to the mains. Then using the network cable connect it to your notebook.
- Open any browser and type in the address bar “https://192.168.1.1” and press “Enter”. A login (Username) and password line should appear. Enter the values “admin” and “admin” in the lines. Also, the login and password can be viewed at the bottom of the router, on the sticker. Press “Login.
- The next step is to configure the WAN network so that the router can distribute the Internet. Previously, you should check with your ISP, look at their website or in the contract for connecting services what type of connection is used (Dynamic or Static IP, PPTP, L2TP, etc.).Д.). You also need to find out if your ISP requires binding by MAC-address of the device. A. For Dynamic IP. Go to the “Network” tab. Subsection “Wan”. Under “WAN Connection Type” select “Dynamic IP. Press “Save” to save your settings.B. For Static IP. Go to the “Network” tab. Subsection “Wan”. In “WAN Connection Type” select “Static IP” and enter in the lines below the IP address, subnet mask, gateway that we received from the provider. Often, this data is given by the provider on the memo when connecting. Press “Save” to save the parameters.
- After all the manipulations, the Internet should appear. A red cross should disappear next to the network icon and when you point it, you will see the network that you configured. If this does not happen, check the settings in the tab “Wan”, somewhere made a mistake.
Set the hardware switches
How to connect Wi-Fi on Asus laptop by hardware method? Some Asus models contain switches that help turn the adapters on and off. Its location depends on the specific model. To turn on the toggle switch to the “On” position. Also to connect you can use a combination of keys “Fn” and the function key, where the Wi-Fi icon is marked.
This key combination gives you the ability to connect the network card. Indicator can be a LED.
Connect using “BIOS”
Sometimes you can turn on Wi-Fi using the “BIOS”. The best way to find this option is to use your laptop’s manual. To connect you need to enter the settings in the base type on the laptop when it is turned on or rebooted. After selecting the desired item, set Enabled. To set the data it is necessary to use the keyboard shortcut provided in the manual.
To connect to Wi-Fi it is necessary to make sure that the drivers are installed on your Asus laptop. To do this, we will use the “Start” menu, where we select the “Control Panel” and then the “Device Manager”. If you see an exclamation mark or question mark next to the device, the next step will be to download drivers from the official Asus website and install them. Next you will need to reboot computer.
Connecting to Wireless Internet
On the right side of the screen and at the bottom of the taskbar of your Asus, click on the network connections icon.
Next, the possible network connections will be displayed. In the upper right corner in the form of blue arrows is the function “Refresh.
After scanning is finished, the list of installed network connections will be updated. Select the network connection specified when the router was installed, and then Asus will prompt you to enter the password. Next, expect to receive the address, as evidenced by the change of the icon.
Testing the network
To check whether the Asus Wi-Fi network is turned on, it is necessary to launch the browser. Then the address of the Internet page is entered. If it fails to load, you need to check the balance. If the balance is sufficient, you need to check again and configure. And after that we consult with the support center about the faulty adapter. They can also give advice on how to set up a network. In the work, we have considered step by step how to configure Wi-Fi on a laptop Asus. This guide should not be difficult and no special skills are required to perform the necessary settings.
Basic Problems and Solutions
No Wi-Fi icon in the tray
There are several main reasons why this happens:
- There is no wireless module. Wi-Fi adapter is installed in all modern laptop computers, and it may be missing only on very old models, or on those devices from which this part has been removed.
- Faulty wireless network adapter. You are left with the replacement, for this you should contact a technician, who will repair or replace the part.
- Driver problem. Missing, faulty or outdated version. You need to update either through the “Device Manager”, or by downloading the driver from the Internet yourself.
- Wi-Fi adapter is turned off. You need to turn it on, also through Device Manager.
- Presence of viruses in the system. Use any handy antivirus program and scan your computer for virus activity.
- Firewall or antivirus programs are blocking the network functions and that’s why you can’t connect to Wi-Fi network. Turn them off and try to connect to the wireless access point again.
The wireless icon is crossed out with a red cross
Causes of the error and recommendations for fixing the problem:
A snowflake appears on the Wi-Fi icon
This icon indicates that the Wi-Fi module is working properly, and there are available networks that you can connect to.
In order to connect to the desired access point, you need to click on this icon, select the desired network, then enter the security key and click on “Connect”. Asus laptop will be connected to the Internet.
If you can’t connect to your network, or don’t see it on the list of available networks and the icon still shows a snowflake, you can reset the router or do a complete factory reset. It is also recommended to run the Windows Troubleshooter to find the problem. And check that the network adapter has the latest driver installed.
Wireless connection is displayed, but there is no Wi-Fi network
Some recommendations on how to fix the error:
- Right-click on the connection icon and select “Diagnostics”.
- Launches the system program, which will search for possible problems with the network equipment. If the utility shows that there is a malfunction, it will also display recommendations for fixing it, which you should follow.
It’s also worth scanning your system for virus activity with any handy antivirus. Do not forget to check that you have the current and fixed version of the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter. So, that’s all for now, we hope that this guide has fully helped you to deal with the problem of turning on the wireless Internet on your Asus laptop. If you still have questions, be sure to ask them in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев. Thank you very much for your attention!
Enabling Wireless Internet on Windows 10
It is one of the most popular Windows operating systems at the moment. It is very simple and even inexperienced PC users will be able to understand all the intricacies in no time at all. There are several ways to start Wi-Fi on Windows 10, each of which deserves a detailed review to fully understand the topic. Below we will talk about these methods.
How to connect Wi-Fi on Asus laptop via operating system settings
Windows 10 settings is a special menu in which you can configure the operation of the main functions of the system. To enable Wi-Fi through the settings, you need to act as follows:
- Press “WinI” buttons simultaneously from the PC keyboard to open the desired tool.
- Go to the “Devices” tab.
- Scroll to the end of the list of suggested options and click on the “Device Manager” line.
- In the window that opens, find and expand the section “Network Adapters”.
- Choose the name of your Wi-Fi module from the list of devices and click on it.
- Select “Enable” and check the results. You do not need to restart the computer.
For more information! Go to the menu of Windows 10 settings can be accessed not only by pressing a combination of buttons on the keyboard, but also through the Control Panel or Start Menu.
Settings on Windows 10
Restart the network adapter
To activate wireless data transfer on the laptop with Windows 10 it is enough to restart the built-in Wi-Fi module. The easiest way to do this is as follows:
- Right-click on the icon “My Computer” on the laptop desktop.
- Press once on the “Properties” line in the context menu.
- In the window that opens, go to the “Device Manager” by clicking on the appropriate option in the left column of the properties menu.
- After performing the previous action, a window will appear on the screen, listing the devices connected to the computer by sections. Here, the user must expand the “Network adapters” section by clicking on its name by pressing the “Disable” item.
- Wait until the module deactivation procedure is completed and perform the same steps to turn it on. That is, once again click on the word PKM, and then click on the line “Enable”.
- Check the result. Now you can go to the connections section and synchronize with the available Wi-Fi access point by entering the appropriate password for it.
Take note! If you connect other devices to your laptop, they will be displayed in the Device Manager list.
Thus, it is possible to enable wireless Internet on Asus laptops in different ways. The most common of them and simple in implementation have been considered above. After reading the above information, you will be able to understand how to enable Wi-Fi on your Asus laptop.
How to configure wireless access to the Internet
Those who use the computer a lot and often know how different Windows 7 is from 10, and even more so from XP. So let’s look at how you can connect and configure a wireless network on your laptop, depending on what operating system is installed on it. This is still one of the most popular operating systems, 7 is still the most popular. Let’s start with it.
You can connect the wireless network on your Windows 7 laptop as follows:
- You should start by checking the Wi-Fi driver. This will allow you to understand whether it is installed and how correctly works to avoid difficulties with the connection. To do this, go to “Control Panel” and select the “Hardware and Sound” section;
- In the list, find the subsection “Network Adapters”. Here you should see the items Wi-Fi, Ethernet and the inscription Wireless. The last one means that drivers are available. If not, you will need to install them by downloading them from the Internet or from a disc. If the inscription is there, but the exclamation mark is lit, you should click “Enable” ;
- If everything is okay with the drivers, you can proceed to turn on the built-in adapter. To do this, open “Control Panel” and go to “Network and Internet”;
- Connection Setup. Before you start using the network, you will have to configure it. To do this, go to “Network and Sharing Center” (under “Network and Internet”). There find the item “Change adapter settings” ;
- And finally the most important thing. The connection. Find the Wi-Fi icon on your desktop, open it. It is necessary to stand on the home access point and click “Connect. Enter your password. Successful connection to the laptop wireless network will be reflected in the modified label.
With all other operating systems, the principle of action, how to connect the laptop to Wi-Fi (no matter if you have Windows XP, 8 or 10) will be the same. Except that the name of the items will be slightly different.
To start configuration as well as on 7 we advise to check drivers and set up adapters. You can always find detailed instructions above. If you have successfully coped with these items, it is worth trying to connect via the icon in the tray. If the connection of the laptop to the Internet via Wi-Fi has failed, then follow the next path:
Connect the Internet via Wi-Fi on a laptop with Windows 8 is possible if the device has a built-in Wi-Fi module and has all the necessary drivers installed. You can check this by right-clicking on “Start. Then go to “Task Manager”, “Network Adapters”.
If there is no question or exclamation mark in the list, then you are fine. Otherwise you should update the drivers or download them.
Next, you need to configure the Internet on the laptop via Wi-Fi, that is:
- Hover your cursor over the right side of the screen, in the upper corner, a menu with large icons will open;
- Find “Settings” among them. Then click the icon showing the Wi-Fi antenna;
- Click on it, a small “Networks” menu will open. Here you need to turn on the slider “Wireless network”. Select your access point, click on “Connection”. Enter your password.
To connect the Vi Vi on your Windows 10 laptop, you should:
Fix WiFi Not Showing in Settings On Windows 10 | Fix Missing WiFi
- Find the connections management window in the tray in the form of an icon with a computer and an antenna;
- This will bring up the “Network Settings” menu;
- Click on the name of your access point, enter the password.
- I can not set up the Internet on my laptop via Wi-Fi? Check if the drivers are updated and if they work. To do this, go to “Control Panel” under “Devices”;
- In the list of drivers, find the “Network adapters” item and expand it. The name of the wireless adapter must contain the word Wireless. If you will click on it the right button of the mouse, you will see whether it is possible to update. If there is no driver, you should download and install it.
How to configure Wi-Fi on an Asus laptop
Most laptops already have a built-in Wi-Fi module. These computers do not need any additional hardware and setting up an internet connection should not cause any problems. If your Asus laptop does not have this module, you will need to buy it in any computer store. The module looks like a normal flash card. It is connected via the usual USB input, and the module is turned on by pressing a button on its housing. Some modules are turned on automatically when they are connected to the computer. When choosing a laptop is better to take already with a built-in module, as the external has a high risk of mechanical damage.
If you are unsure about the presence of the built-in module, then you can check your Asus laptop very simply. As a rule, manufacturers install special stickers on the laptop with basic information on its contents. You can easily find them under the keyboard to the left and right of the touch pad. If the stickers have been removed, you can check the computer for the presence of the module by looking at the keyboard. In the lower left corner should be a button, which is responsible for turning on the Wi-Fi module. If it is not on the laptop, then press the keys F1 and F12. If it is present, the screen will tell you that Wi-Fi is on. If after pressing the keys nothing happened, then most likely there is no module in the laptop.
Turn on your Asus mobile computer and wait for the operating system to boot. Check if your wireless adapter is active. Open the device manager and find the required device in the hardware list. Make sure that all the necessary drivers are installed for it. If the drivers are not installed or are incorrect, then you need to fix the error. Otherwise, even if you have an Internet connection icon, there will be no access. To make sure the drivers work correctly, enter “My Computer” and click “Properties” at the top left corner. This will open a window with basic information about your notebook. Click on “Device Manager” in the left pane. In the list that opens, find the network adapters section. From the entire list, find the adapter labeled “Wi-Fi”, “Wireless” or “Wireless”. If there is an exclamation mark against this item, then the driver must be installed or reinstalled. You can install the necessary driver from the disc that came with your notebook, or you can previously download it from the internet. You may have to install the driver more than once until the module will not work correctly.
For the adapter to find all the available Wi-Fi networks, you must configure the automatic reception of the IP-address. If you have a laptop Asus with the operating system Windows 10, you should go to the tab “Settings”. You can do this from any folder by clicking on the gear icon at the top and the “Open Settings” caption. Go to the “Network and Internet” section. In the “Status” subsection, click on “Configure Adapter Settings”. A window should open, displaying all connected Internet networks. Choose the connection that will be used and double-click on it. This will open the network status window. Click on the “Properties” button at the bottom and in the list below click once on TCP/IP. This item must light up in blue. Now under the window with the list click the properties button and check the checkbox “Obtain IPv6 address automatically”. Also you should check the item getting the DNS-server address automatically. After that press the “OK” button.
For Windows XP users automatic IP receiving is a little bit different. You need to go to the control panel of your computer. After opening “Network Connections” select the connection to be fixed. Then you need to open properties of the connection you are using and find TCP/IP item in the components used by the connection. Now click also on the item with the component properties and put a tick in front of automatic connections.
Now you need to wait until Wi-Fi will be turned on, click on the “Wireless network connection in the tray”. As a result, you should see a list of available networks. Select the one for which you know the password, enter it and press the “Connect” key.
If there are no networks available, click on the wireless network icon in the system tray and select the “Network and Sharing Center” menu. In the left-hand column of the menu that opens, find the “Wireless Network Management” item and move to it. Click on the “Add” button. In the window that appears, select “Connect to wireless network manually”.
Now you need to fill in the table that appears. It is important to enter the exact name of the access point you would like to connect to. Specify the security type used by the equipment that created the wireless network. Select the type of encryption and enter the security key (password). Tick the “Connect to this network automatically” box. Click the “Next” and “Close” buttons. It remains only to wait for the connection to the selected wireless access point.
If your mobile computer is already connected to the Internet, and you want to connect it to another laptop, then again go to the Network and Sharing Center. Open the menu “Manage wireless networks” and click “Add”. Click on the item “Create computer-computer network”.