How to configure the gps on Samsung
How to configure correctly the Gps in Samsung terminals
The following tutorial supports video, I will teach you how to properly configure GPS in Samsung terminals with the Android operating system.
What we’re going to do in this lesson is optimize the GPS so you can catch the strongest signal and connect faster; I’ve tested and verified it on a large number of terminals in this family. Samsung Galaxy, although I assume this will be true for many other terminals, regardless of whether they are Samsung.
The first thing we do is to download two applications, Faster Fix y el Evil GPS, after downloading you copy them to the memory card and install.
I forgot to say one very important thing: you must be a root user in order to execute this tutorial.
After installing the two apps, we will proceed to run them the way I indicate in the video and in the attached images.
And how to enable GPS on a Samsung phone?
The geolocation service on the Samsung smartphone is called “Location”, and it can be started in two ways:
Next, we’ll describe how to turn on geolocation (GPS, location, “Location”) on your phone using the Samsung Galaxy A50 editorial smartphone with Android 9 Pie as an example.
Instructions for turning on the geolocation service (GPS) from the notification panel of the Samsung smartphone.
From any screen, open the Navigation Pane. To do this, you need to swipe down from the top of the screen.
Screenshot. Open the Navigation Pane by swiping down from the top of the screen.
In the Navigation Panel, find the “Location” icon in the form of an inverted blob. If the icon in the circle is gray, it means that the location service is off. Click on the “Location” icon to turn on the location (geolocation).
The “Location” icon is now in a blue circle. Geolocation service is enabled.
Screenshot. the “Location” icon is in a blue circle. geolocation service is enabled.
Launch the Smartphone Settings app from the Phone Work Screen
In Phone Settings, go to “Biometrics and security”.
Screenshot. go to “Biometrics and security” section.
Under “Biometrics and security” find the “Location” item. If it is turned off, you need to turn it on by clicking on the toggle icon.
Screenshot. switching on the “Location” item.
Now the geolocation service (location, “Location”) is turned on on your smartphone.
Screenshot. the screen view of the “Biometrics and security” section with geolocation service enabled (location, “Location”).
This is how the maps look like in the two applications smartphone that use the GPS service: Google Maps and 2GIS.
Screenshot. Map view on Google Maps with GPS turned on. Screenshot. The map in 2GIS with geolocation service turned on (GPS).
How to calibrate GPS: The best ways
If the GPS module in your phone is broken, you need to replace it, but if it does not show the exact right data on the map, and deviates from the norm in every way, there is a chance to solve the problem in a software way. There are two popular programs that will help calibrate (t.е. increase accuracy) GPS. Both can be found on Google Play.
GPS Status Toolbox
The easiest way to calibrate is to use the GPS Status Toolbox. This toolbox lets you reset your phone’s connection to satellites and adjust the GPS accuracy virtually from scratch, among other things.
- Open the side menu (this requires a left to right swipe),
- Select “Manage A-GPS Statuses.
- Press “Reset”, then “Upload”.
- Calibration is started, after which geolocation services will successfully return to full functionality.
Useful info. information about GPS calibration and parameter setting here.
Another application that lets you calibrate your GPS without much fuss is the GPS Toolbox. In general, it is a very versatile program that has many different functions and settings related to geolocation.
The calibration in the GPS Toolbox is done in this way:
- Tap on Compass icon. Virtual COMPASS opens. If it shows everything perfectly correctly, the problem is something else, but if it is not accurate, you can calibrate it.
- Select Calibrate. Some versions of the application may not have it, so you just need to rotate the phone from side to side, turn it upside down. until the readings are more or less accurate.
Calibrating GPS using the standard way
Finally, a slightly more complicated option for setting the GPS is to use the phone’s built-in features. To do this, you need:
- Access the engineering menu by dialing ##3646633##; less common combinations are ##4636## or #15963#;
- A special hidden menu will open. Select EPO, check Auto Download and Enable EPO;
- Go back and select YGPS. Satellites;
- A chart with satellites will appear, where satellites that are not connected will be marked with color;
- Go to the tab Information, select Full and AGPS Restart
- Go back to the satellites map
- After a while the calibration will finish and they will turn green again.
How to enable gps on your Android 4 tablet.4 and Android 4.4.2.
To turn on navigation, open “Settings”, go to “My Location” and check the appropriate places.
Then go to your desktop, go to “Menu” and click on the “Navigation” icon.
Final Solution. Reset to factory data. Before you go to this step, don’t forget to back up everything, because all of your data, the apps you downloaded, and your personal settings will be deleted. Your device will be restored to factory settings. To reset to factory settings, go to Settings, Backup & Reset Data, Restore Factory Data.
You can also check: How to fix Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge overheating problem
Wipe the windshield, tap the wheel
Let’s start with perhaps the most “relevant” tips. What will advise any technical support, regardless of the device with which the user has a problem? Absolutely, “Have you tried turning it off and on??”. To paraphrase this tip, first of all you should make sure that GPS is on: Settings \Location \Use GPS.
To rule out the possibility of loss of functionality of the GPS-receiver itself, it is worth using one of the special applications, such as GPS Essentials. Click on the icon with the image of the satellite and the application will show you visually where and how many satellites your smartphone is tracking and which ones it is communicating with at the moment.
If the app shows that you are out of range of any satellite, try exiting the building or at least go to a window. Often the Soviet “anti-missile” houses block not only the GPS signal, but also the cellular network.
Sometimes the device can “lock” on certain satellites, even when they are out of range, and this leads to a weak or no signal.
To solve this problem, you should try to reset all GPS data on the device and start collecting it from scratch. This is where the GPS Status ToolBox helps. To do this, press the “menu” key in the app, select “Tools”, “A-GPS status management”, and then press “reset”. After that press “load” on the same place.
One of the possible problems that may affect the accuracy of your positioning is an incorrectly calibrated COMPASS. In this case the device receives incorrect orientation data, which causes problems when using navigation applications.
You can calibrate COMPASS properly in the same GPS Essentials. To do this, launch the app, tap on the compass icon, and then follow the steps below:
- Choose a flat surface away from electrical appliances to avoid being affected by electromagnetic fields, and place the smartphone face up on it
- Slowly and smoothly make 3 full circles of the device around each of its axes. Direction of rotation is irrelevant.
A visual demonstration of the process is shown here
Turn on geolocation quickly in the shortcut menu. Swipe down the screen and select an icon from the menu:
You can enable or disable data transfer in Settings. Connections. Geo Data.
- Detection method. Т.е. as your location is determined. Three options. GPS, Wi-Fi and cellular. give better accuracy. To conserve battery I recommend using only cellular signal (no GPS). There is a way to determine your location using only GPS, but it quickly drains the battery.
- Improve detection accuracy. You can turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning. By doing this you allow the installed applications to automatically connect to the nearest available Wi-Fi network and Bluetooth devices, even if you have disabled Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. To be on the safe side and to save battery power, I recommend to turn off both of these functions.
- Recent Location Queries. shows you which apps have requested access to your geo data. Usually they are navigation services or services of Google, Yandex. There’s nothing wrong with that. But if some unknown application monitors your location all the time, disable it or delete it.
- Location. This is where your location history is stored (you need to sign in to your Google account). You can delete your history if you don’t want your friends to know where you go.
There is nothing wrong with transmitting your geolocation data to a third-party application. If you’re not paranoid, don’t turn off geo-transferring. This helps improve Google and Yandex search and navigation services. No one cares about you. And if you are interested in the secret services, they will find you anyway.
GPS is not working? Fixing!
It often happens that after changing the firmware on the device, or buying a new Chinese phone (sometimes not Chinese), we are faced with the fact that the smartphone does not work GPS. It also happens that GPS does not locate for a long time. Why does it happen?
This is because the phone often comes to us from another hemisphere in the world. And it has a prescribed irrelevant for our area Almanac.
If your GPS is glitchy. We will try to fix it.
I warn you that the recommendations given in this article, will not help you if you have a problem with the “iron”. This guide will only help you fix GPS errors at the software level.
The GPSAGPS way (ROOT required) :
1) You need to turn on the Android. in the section “My location” AGPS, then opening the top “curtain” in the phone to activate GPS.
2) Then in the dialer, you need to dial ##3646633##. This is the way to enter the engineering menu.
Maybe your phone will get another number to enter the Android engineering menu:
##4636####8255##, ##4636###. for Samsung##3424##, ##4636##, ##8255##. for HTC##7378423###. for Sony##3646633###. for Philips, Fly, Alcatel##2846579###. for Huawei
If it does not work, look for information on how to enter the engineering menu on your Android phone. If your phone is based on MTK (MT 6577, MT 6589), you can use the program “Mobileuncle Tools” (requires ROOT), it can be downloaded from Google Play. It has an Engineer Mode section. This is what we need.
3) When you are in (any way) the engineering menu of your phone, you need to go to the YGPS tab. and look at the “Satellites” tab. do the signal bars appear. If yes, it means that the phone is trying to find satellites. but it doesn’t find it because the Almanac is written incorrectly. And this is not surprising, because the machine came from the other “end of the world”.
4) Next step is to go to “Information” tab and then press “full”, “warm”, “hot”, “cold” buttons one by one (to reset old Almanac completely).
5) After that, in the NMEA Log tab, press the start button. (the recording of a new Almanac will start)
6) Now for the correct operation of GPS. It is necessary to pass to a back page “Satellites” and to expect within 5-15 minutes while the maximal quantity of scales of satellites will be found (usually from 10 to 13 pieces) and their scales will turn green.
7) When all satellites will be found. pass again on bookmark Nmea Log and push button “stop”. Congratulations, there is a new almanac for your area.
did this procedure on many chinese phones. as a result of the procedure, the phone should begin to find satellites faster.
Recall that all the above steps to improve GPS quality. should be carried out strictly in an open area, away from buildings. And the last tip. I recommend to set exactly the system time and date in the phone.
The GPSEPO way (ROOT required):
1) Using a file manager that supports Root and root access, you need to delete the following files: /data/misc/ EPO.dat /data/misc/ mtkgps.dat. /system/etc/ gps.conf
2) Go to “settings. location data” and turn on GPS.Then you need to enable EPO and download (see above).You don’t need to download again. after deleting the EPO.dat)
3) Check if A-GPS is disabled. (this is a must!4) Turn off your phone and then turn it on, otherwise it will stop working correctly
4) Turn the phone off, remove the battery, put the battery back on, turn the phone on.
5) enter Engineering menu (see Login Ways above). Go to location tab. There will be 2 submenus (location based service and YGPS)
6) Go outside into the open area, where GPS can get a good signal, and enter the YGPS item (do not press any buttons!), within 3-10 mins wait for the fix (it is long enough to wait).Once the fix is done. Exit YGPS with the back button, then reenter YGPS. Now the most important part: At the 2nd GPS startup, you should see red dots (satellites), but not all at once. and every 2 seconds should appear 1 to 3 pieces. For example:At the beginning of 2. then 5. then 7. and at the end of 10 red dots on the radar.If the dots appear gradually. It means that EPO is set up correctly.
Programs for gps navigation and their brief description
Failure of GPS module is a quite common problem with Android devices. The system can connect to satellites, but the navigation still will not work. In some cases the defect is caused by a hardware failure on the gadget, but most situations can be solved by software methods. Below is described, what to do if GPS on Android does not work.
To begin with, let’s define how the navigator works on your phone. Yandex.Maps or navigation from Google communicates with the satellites of the system and asks for data about the current location of the user. Based on the information obtained, you can build the best route or select public transport. If the GPS module stops functioning. normal navigation is impossible, even with the use of A-GPS technology. The main causes of failure are usually software malfunctions, but in some cases the source of the malfunction is the failure of the hardware module.
On Android the geolocation services do not work if the settings are incorrect. Also the installation of incompatible firmware or absence of necessary drivers can cause a defect.
The navigator from Google or Yandex doesn’t work well and at a weak satellite signal level. It is worth remembering that the software does not always display the location correctly, and you should not rely on the system when hiking or off-road. To eliminate the problems, let’s analyze the causes and ways to solve popular problems.