How to check the memory on your iPhone
How and where to view the memory on the iPhone answer
Memory on iPhones, even within the same model, can vary greatly. So it is quite important to know how to view it, in order to know for sure if you have enough space.
The developers have given us this opportunity. There are several simple ways to see how much space is left in the iPhone storage.
From the previous material, you learned what actions to take if your iPhone does not charge. Now we’re going to figure out how to open the storage on your iPhone and see how much free memory is left in it.
How to check the RAM load on the iPhone
Before figuring out how to clean the RAM on your iPhone, you need to read the instructions on how to check its load. You can do this with third-party applications. The most popular is the System Util Dashboard Free utility.
The application displays the amount of RAM in the iPhone in the “Memory” section, you need to tap on it and the screen will display the parameter you wanted.
How To Check Storage On iPhone
The result of checking iPhone 7, which says that it is equipped with 2 Gb of RAM
Please note! The app is completely free and can be used by anyone with an individual Apple ID.
How to find out how much memory is left on your iPhone using iTunes
This method requires you to install the iTunes program on your personal computer or laptop under Windows or Mac. If you already have it, you can start setting up. To begin with, the gadget is connected to the PC via a normal USB cable and wait for detection. After opening the program you can immediately see the total amount of available memory near the icon of the phone.
Note! This method does not always work, because the device may not be activated or broken. Often PC can not detect the connection of the phone due to problems with the USB port (it can be broken or clogged with dust and debris). This problem is also true for the iPhone connector (lightning).
If you select the device in the program iTunes, you can see a bar at the bottom of the screen with different colors. It allows you to determine how much memory is available for use, and how much is occupied by music, documents or programs.
iTunes program helps to determine the total amount of storage
The easiest way to find out how much memory on your smartphone is occupied and how much is free.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then go to “Main”.
- Then go to “About this device”.
- Find “Capacity” and “Available
“Storage capacity”. iPhone storage capacity is listed for different files, (don’t be surprised) it will be different than stated. For example, an iPhone with 16 GB of memory will show 12.4 GB, the difference in memory occupied by the iOS operating system. “Available”. shows how much more memory is available on your iPhone.
The second option is how to see how much memory is busy on your iPhone:
Under “Storage and iCloud” you can find out how much memory is used and how much is still collected on your iPhone. The following shows the amount of iCloud cloud storage and how many free GBs are still available.
Check the storage status using Finder or iTunes on your iOS device
Below is what’s included in each type of content.
- Audio: songs, audio podcasts, audio books, voice memos, and ringtones.
- Movies, videos, and TV shows.
- Photos: the contents of the program “Media Library”, albums “Photographic film” and “Photostream.
- Programs: installed programs. Program content is listed under “Documents and data.
- Books: iBooks, audio books and PDFs.
- Documents and data: Safari offline reading list, installed program files and program content such as contacts, calendars, messages and email (including attachments).
- Other: settings, Siri voices, system data, and cached files.
Information about cached files in the “Other” category
The Finder and iTunes categorize cached music, videos, and photos as “Other” rather than adding them to their respective folders. Cached files are created when you stream or view music, videos and photos. When you stream music or video, the content is stored as cached files so that it can be quickly accessed again.
When you need more space, the device automatically deletes cached and temporary files.
If the actual storage size on your device is different from what iTunes or Finder shows
Because the Finder and iTunes categorize cached files as “Other,” the Music and Videos folder sizes may be different. To see the data about the used memory of the device, go to “Settings” “Basic” “Storage [device]” menu.
If you must delete cached files from your device
Cached and temporary files are deleted automatically when you want to increase the storage capacity. You don’t need to delete them yourself.
How to see the memory on your iPhone in the settings menu
The fastest way to see how much storage your smartphone actually has (how much is used and how much is available) is to use the settings on your smartphone.
- Expand iPhone Settings.
- Then go to “General” in the Settings menu.
- Next, open the “About this device” tab.
- After that you should find there the items “Memory capacity” and “Available
The top picture shows that the device has 16 GB of memory. The “Available” line shows how much free memory is stored (in our case it is 789 MB). Also part of the iPhone memory is occupied by the iOS system, so the figures may differ from the manufacturer’s claims.
- If you need detailed information about the gadget’s memory, you need to open the “Main” item and select the “iPhone Storage” tab there.
- After that in the upper part of the window you will see how much of the memory is occupied by certain types of files (software, pictures, messages, etc.).д.). This information allows you to quickly see how much space is available on the gadget. If there is almost no free memory left on it, then you need to clean it of debris and unnecessary data.
How to check how much memory applications take on your iPhone and iPad
How to track the heaviest applications on your iPhone and iPad.
There are many ways to clean the memory of iPhone and iPad (45 ways), among which there are some secret ones, but the most effective one is also the easiest. It’s about removing particularly “voracious” apps that take up the most memory space. In this tutorial, we told you how to check how much memory apps take up on your iPhone and iPad, and thus find “pests”.
How to check how much memory apps are taking up on your iPhone and iPad
Go to “Settings” → “Main” → “iPhone storage” (“iPad storage” in case of Apple tablets).
Wait for the list of installed apps and games on your mobile device to load. Note that the download time depends on the number of apps and games installed on your iPhone or iPad.
The list that opens shows all the apps and games that are installed on your device, sorted by size. You can see more detailed statistics for each application by clicking on its line. The following statistics are available:
- Application size. the “net” size of the application that it occupies in the memory of your device.
- “Documents and data”. the space occupied by the files used by this application.
There are also two functions available in the menu of each app: “Download Program” (only in iOS 11) and “Delete Program”. The first option allows you to delete an application, while leaving the files used by it on your iPhone or iPad. After reinstalling the app removed in this way, it will return to your device in its former state.
The statistics provided by iOS are unfortunately not complete. Cached files do not count when calculating the size of apps and games. It is noteworthy that the cache (temporary files) can take up quite a lot of space. You can learn how to clear the application cache on your iPhone and iPad in this instruction.
Clearing the RAM of applications
It should be understood that every smartphone has 2 types of memory:
The former is responsible for the permanent storage of files, and the latter for their operation. Oddly enough, clearing the RAM allows you to free up some free space to, for example, install an app. The operation is easily performed by the standard software after switching to multitasking mode. You can get there by double clicking on the “Home” button.
Once you are in multitasking mode, you need to click on the button with a cross on it. After that, all the RAM of the gadget will be cleared, but it will also continue to be occupied by applications running in pop-up mode. Therefore, if necessary, you should disable this feature through the settings of iPhone in the “Applications” section. By selecting a specific program, the user can not only clear the cache, but also prohibit sending notifications that take RAM.
What affects the amount of RAM in the iPhone
RAM is needed not only for acquiring new information and storing it. Its impact on the main processes of the iPhone depends on the quantity. Among those are:
- the speed at which the operating system operates. This directly determines the comfort of its use. When the capacity is small, there are likely to be hang-ups, slowdowns in the work of the application and the operating system itself;
- Launch speed and performance of loaded applications. The more programs loaded, the more they will use RAM;
- Functioning of the loaded applications in the background. When the gadget has enough RAM, there will simply be no problems with the background functioning of the program. After closing, they will continue to function in the same mode as they did during the main period of direct use. When there is not enough RAM, one app will shut down when it closes with another. This happens to free up space to perform the task at hand.
When there is enough RAM, the iPhone runs very fast