Do I need a protective glass on iPhone
Varieties of protective glasses
There are products of different brands on the market, which differ in strength and price. Some of the most popular are the Utty, Avatti and Armor garde models. The demand is due to the excellent characteristics of the products:
- minimum thickness. 0.3 millimeters;
- high strength. 9N;
- Manufactured using the innovative Shatterproof technology (prevents the glass from shattering).
These products are based on Japanese-made raw materials. These characteristics make the models of the presented brands one of the most reliable and durable.
In addition to the classic options, liquid glasses are rapidly gaining popularity. They protect the display from damage, shock and moisture, improve the tactile feel and oleophobic coating. But in terms of their characteristics and indicators, they are inferior to hardened options. What kind of protective glass to glue on a smartphone is an individual question. Among the options on the market, you can choose a product for any model of the device, which differs in density and price.
Protective glass on the phone: functions and varieties
Many smartphone owners are wondering whether a protective glass is needed, and how effective it is to protect the screen. During operation, the mobile device is not insured against falls or damage. Even with careful use, there is a risk of scratches on the display. Protective glass on your phone will help you avoid these unpleasant consequences. We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the features and types of accessories that can extend the operating life of the device.
Description and functions
To answer the question of whether it is necessary to glue glass to a smartphone, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with what it is. This element is a thin glass surface with a silicone adhesive layer. It not only protects the glass from mechanical stress, but also protects it from flying into fragments.
In their appearance, these elements are similar to films. But they are more reliable, strong and durable. This is due to the high density of glass compared to film. But they also cost more.
iPhone 12 Pro. Do You Need A Screen Protector
The protective glass on the smartphone takes on all mechanical influences. This property minimizes the likelihood of scratches and damage. Films protect the display from minor defects, but as a result of a drop or strong impact, cracks and chips may form on it.
Recommendations for use
How to glue glass to your phone? These manipulations can be entrusted to specialists or carried out independently. In the second case, it is necessary to prepare a workplace with a flat horizontal surface and good lighting. The screen of the device should be thoroughly wiped with a microfiber cloth. The film is removed from the adhesive side of the protective glass, it is applied to the display. It is important to align the corners of the accessory with the edges of the mobile. The holes in the glass must line up with the speaker and other connectors.
Important: it is recommended to hold the accessory only by the edges so that no marks remain on the inner surface.
After adjusting, gently lower the glass onto the screen (top, center and bottom). Thanks to the adhesive silicone layer, it will attach itself. If air bubbles have formed under it, you can get rid of them by extrusion, moving from the center to the edges.
Now you know how to glue a protective glass to your phone, what properties these accessories have. Due to their density and shock resistance, they will last more than one year and will protect your device from mechanical damage.
Do I need a protective glass on an iPhone and other phone
Let’s take a closer look at whether you need to glue the protective glass on smartphones.
Opponents of glass stickers emotionally say that modern glass does not need protection. Supporters of protective glasses show broken ones and say that only thanks to them the phone screen remained intact.
glass and case protecting the screen
We analyzed this information, added it to our personal experience of using glass and our own knowledge. We present you a “definite” answer whether you need a protective glass on your phone.
You need protective glass if:
- You are in the habit of treating things in such a way that they look like new or you intend to sell the phone in the future.
- If the phone is in an unfavorable environment. dust or dirt (for example, working at a construction site).
- You are a lover of outdoor activities.
- You value your phone more for functionality and less for design.
- You drop your phone.
- The cost of the phone and repair for replacing the screen is significant for you.
Does protective glass help
- Protective glass will protect your smartphone screen from scratches. Modern glasses, including Gorilla Glass, do not protect against scratches left by grains of sand or pebbles of jewelry.
- The protective glass will protect the screen from scuffs. After a year and a half, an olephobic coating is scrubbed on the native glass and slight irregularities of reflection will become visible.
- Glass will increase the chances of keeping the screen in the fall. Imagine even two ordinary non-tempered glass (window mirror). If a pebble falls into such a sandwich or it falls, the impact energy is absorbed and absorbed by the first layer. Naturally, if the impact is too strong, the second layer may be damaged. You can, in principle, turn the phone around, and here it is clearly impossible to say that the protective glass does not help. It is only a plus by absorbing and distributing impact energy.
- Glass increases bending strength. Man bought an iPhone. He puts it in his back. jumps into the car, suddenly hears a crunch from behind:. Bl at least the spine An additional layer of material gives additional rigidity. Naturally, there is not much of it from thin glass.
- The myth is that glass does not protect the edges. Good glass protects the entire screen. Good glasses and a cover sit together so that the original glass is completely closed or the gap is so small that they will be hit.
- The myth that a phone always falls to the corner of the screen where it is not protected by glass is a misconception that glass and screens are usually shattered at the edges. But this does not mean that the glass does not protect. The phone falls as needed. At the edges there are no special centers of gravity forcing you to get hit exactly in the butt. Plus a short flight time and arbitrary initial spin makes it impossible to predict the point of impact. Turn the phone in your hands and make sure that when you fall, the impact does not always fall on the glass.
- The myth that a phone’s screen protector cracks on its own; glass cracks if it is damaged, for example, by keys or by bending in a jeans This causes the smallest chipping of the edges, the release of internal stress and the appearance of cracks.
- Glass degrades the properties of the screen. The glass does not affect the images and the operation of the sensor, unless it is outright trash. If the glass is without cutouts for sensors and a camera, there is a problem with the proximity sensor. You need to choose the right glass for your device or glue it smoothly. It is extremely useful to find the theme of your phone on w3bsit3-dns.com and in the accessories section to see which glasses have no problems.
- The myth that glass and case hides the screen. Smartphone screens have become curved, but software manufacturers do not place anything of value near the edges. Text or elements placed back to back do not look nice. Take a phone with glued glass and you will make sure that nothing is hidden. The curved luminous part is a design element and more on that below.
Turn the phone in your hands
Take the phone in your hands and, holding the screen horizontally, slowly lower it to the table surface. The likelihood that he will fall flat is negligible. Near the table, tilt it at least one degree and it becomes clear that naturally the blow falls on some edge. But pay attention, if the protective glass is glued on, if it falls almost flat, the impact will be on its edge, and not on the edge of the screen. Continue to lift one edge of the phone and it becomes clear that the angle (and hence the probability) at which the phone no longer touches the protective glass and has not yet touched the case (cover) is not so great. When they show you a broken screen and say that the phone always falls at an angle and the glass will not protect it, it is impressive. In fact, the likelihood that the phone will fall at an angle of exactly 45 degrees is small, and a suitable glass and case will provide additional protection in this case.
You don’t need protective glass if:
- Buying a new phone for you is an ordinary purchase.
- You change your phone after 1. 1.5 years.
- Design, such as a perfectly rounded screen or minimal thickness, is just as important to you as functionality.
- Other points do not apply when protective glass is required.
Thus, protective glass is not a panacea. It does not give the WOW effect, but it definitely increases the resistance of the native glass.
Do You Need a Screen Protector? (1 Year No Screen Protector)
Do I need a protective glass on my smartphone?
Almost every one of us who just bought and took out our brand new smartphone from the box asks questions: is it necessary to additionally protect the screen? Should you buy protective glass? Or save money and rely on the manufacturer’s promises? Or maybe you just don’t fool your head and your wallet, and leave everything as it is according to the principle. “yes, I never drop my phones!”. Let’s try to figure it out. is there any economic and logical sense in such savings.
We count expenses
The price of high-quality protective glass ranges from UAH 150-400, depending on the manufacturer, the color of the packaging, etc. And you can replace it yourself, without resorting to anyone’s help.
Owners of waterproof phones face another danger. pre-assembled at the factory, most often, after replacing the screen, they cease to be. In order to replace the screen, the smartphone must be disassembled, and rarely any workshop for replacing screens has official equipment from Sony or Samsung, which allows you to restore the moisture resistance of the smartphone to the factory level.
Official service centers for the repair of smartphones have this kind of equipment and they will also supply the original screen there, but it should be borne in mind that their services will cost on average 50% more than the average cost of replacing the screen in the market.
“Why do I need a protective glass, I have Gorilla Glass!
To begin with, let’s immediately determine. no matter how protected the glass of the smartphone itself is and no matter how the manufacturer advertises it. we are dealing with glass. Yes, it is high strength glass. Yes, this glass has passed the furnace of thermal and chemical hardening. But still, initially it is still just glass.
Despite all the assurances of the device manufacturers about the high durability of the advertised Gorilla Glass, which covers the screens of many smartphones, it has been proven in practice that, despite the fact that it resists scratches well, Gorilla Glass does not cope well with sand. Yes, ordinary sand can quite easily leave scuffs and micro-scratches on the smartphone screen, which will only increase over time, which will at least lead to a loss of appearance.
Gorilla Glass on the Mohs scale (mineralogical hardness scale) has a hardness of 6-6.5, and the hardness of metal on it is 5-5.5. accordingly, Gorilla Glass metal objects really cannot be scratched.
But the hardness of quartz is 7, which means that if you have at least a little ubiquitous grains of sand in your. they can easily and naturally, and most importantly, absolutely imperceptibly, scratch the screen of your device.
Replace screen or protective glass?
It is necessary to understand that this is any scratch, chip or scuff on the screen. this is already forever. Or before replacing the screen. If the protective glass, in case of damage, can be easily removed from the screen and a new one can be pasted (not having much financial damage), then replacing the screen is a completely different conversation and a different cost.
In addition, from a purely technical point of view, replacing a screen is comparable to a surgical operation, and replacing a protective glass is like putting on a new helmet instead of a broken one. Agree, the number of potential problems and possible complications in both cases is absolutely not comparable. Just peel off the old protective glass and glue a new one or open the entire phone to replace the screen we suppose there is no point in comparing.
Protective glasses. save yourself or the screen?
Many consider the purchase of protective glass as a kind of capital investment. they say, in the event of a fall, I want the screen to be intact and not to buy new glass. Unfortunately, this is simply not possible. again, we are dealing with protective glass, and not with an armored steel shutter. And of course, although his tensile strength is quite large, it is still not infinite.
But if you understand the correct positioning of protective glasses, then everything falls into place.
The main task of protective glass is not to withstand a blow at any cost, but to save the smartphone screen!
In its development, the same logic is applied as in the design of modern cars. it does not matter what remains of the car in the event of an accident, the main thing is that the driver and passengers are safe and sound as much as possible.
Tests have shown that protective glass in 98% of cases when hitting a plane is able to take the whole blow and save the smartphone screen, and when hitting the butt or falling at an angle. in 92% of cases. Agree, the numbers are convincing enough. Of course, skeptics can say that these 2% and 8% of cases still remain. we do not argue, this is really so. But let’s do the simplest cost comparison.
Why glue protective glass or film
The protective film is a thin polymer coating with a silicone layer applied, which acts as an adhesive base. Without experience, it is quite difficult to install a protective film, since you need to simultaneously orient it on the display surface and observe so that dust does not get between the film and the screen.
The film is primarily intended to protect the screen from scratches and minor damages. If the smartphone falls down with the screen down, the film will most likely not help.
And so, to summarize: the film protects against minor scratches, glass from more serious damage. But, besides this, there are a few more nuances when choosing between them.
Do I need to glue a protective glass or film on the phone?
If you have noticed, now almost everyone is the first to stick a protective film or glass on their smartphone. But how important this accessory is for a modern device, because manufacturers assure us that smartphone displays are now protected as never before.
We all know that there are Gorilla Glass, which is incredibly durable and the Internet is full of videos where they are tested trying to break with a hammer or throw smartphones from a height on the asphalt. So maybe additional accessories are not a concern for the safety of your device, but another attempt to pump money out of consumers’ s? Let’s figure it out.
What to choose: glass or film
From my own experience, I will say that glass is preferable to film, since it protects the display better. In addition, the glass is easier to install and lasts much longer.
But, if you own a phone with rounded edges, you may have already encountered the problem that the glass does not stick around the edges and an ugly white stripe forms.
If you have an iPhone, then everything is simple. buy 5D glass on aliexpress and enjoy life. For owners of other brands, they also came up with similar glasses, but they are only glued not over the entire surface, but only along the edges. Therefore, such glass holds very poorly and with any awkward movement it will most likely fall off.
In this case, you can use a silicone protective film, which, due to its plasticity, perfectly covers displays even with very rounded screen edges, such as in the Galaxy S8 / S9 smartphones. But it is not possible to find such films for every model. Here the same aliexpress will come to the rescue.