Difference Between Honor 20 And Honor 20 Pro
Huawei has announced a new smartphone of its sub-brand Honor. The novelty received the laconic name Honor 10. This is the next flagship of the line and then we will talk about the differences between Honor 10 and View 10, Honor 9 and Huawei P20, which are relevant at the moment and compete with it.
Differences between Honor 10 and Honor View 10 (V10)
Let’s start by comparing the news with its strongest rival in the Honor lineup. the View 10 model (aka V10). Smartphones are very similar in hardware, since both are based on the Kirin 970 processor. This is the most powerful of what Huawei has at the moment. Differences in screen sizes, dimensions, design, RAM and cameras.
- Display: Honor 10. 5.84 ’’ versus 5.99 ’’ for View 10;
- Dimensions: Honor 10 is shorter and narrower, but slightly thicker: 149.6 x 71.2 x 7.7 versus 157 x 75 x 7 mm in View 10;
- Design: At the top of the screen, the Honor 10 has a cutout for the camera and sensors in the style of the iPhone X, the View 10 does not have such a notch-notch.
- Design: View 10 has a matte finish in blue, red, or black. Honor 10 uses a shiny case in black, blue or one of two iridescent shades;
Available design options for Honor 10
- Cameras: the main camera module of Honor 10 and View 10 are the same (16 MPx, f / 1.8), but the additional black and white for Honor 10 has a resolution of 24 MPx versus 20 MPx for a competitor;
- Cameras: Honor 10 is notable for a front camera with a resolution of 24 MPx versus 13 MPx in View 10;
- RAM: 4 GB versus 6 GB for View 10 (in the Chinese version, Honor 10 has 6 GB of RAM, but only 4 in the international version);
- Battery: 3400 mAh instead of 3750 mAh for View 10;
- Important: Unlike View 10, Honor 10 does not have a microSD card slot.
Note that both models are flagships, that is, the most powerful devices in the Honor line and will remain so until the end of the year. Devices should help Huawei in a difficult confrontation in the ranking of smartphone manufacturers.
One of the unusual colors of the Honor 10 body live
See also: comparison of Honor 10 and Honor 10 Lite.
Differences between Honor 9 and Honor 10
Much more differences can be found if we compare the characteristics of Honor 10 with its direct predecessor. Honor 9. The difference in terms of release of devices is less than a year, but the differences between them are huge and almost all of them are predictably not in favor of the older version.
- Display: Honor 10. 5.84 ’’ and an aspect ratio of 18: 9 (Fullview) versus 5.15 ’’ 16: 9 for Honor 9;
- Dimensions: despite the significantly enlarged display, due to its new aspect ratio and smaller frames, the dimensions have not changed much: 149.6 x 71.2 x 7.7 versus 147.3 x 70.9 x 7.5 mm for Honor 9;
- CPU: Kirin 970 vs Kirin 960 in Honor 9;
Frame from the official presentation of Honor 10 in China
- Cameras: 16 MPx (main, color module) 24 MPx (black and white camera for enhanced light capture) in Honor 10 versus 1220 MPx in Honor 9;
- Cameras: The aperture of the main camera module in Honor 10 is expanded from f / 2.2 to f / 1.8, which will positively affect the quality of the photo, especially at night or in dark rooms;
- Cameras: 24 MPx front camera resolution in Honor 10 versus 8 MPx in Honor 9;
- Sound: Honor 10 has a new Hi-Fi module, which will significantly increase the sound quality compared to Honor 9;
- Battery: 3400 mAh in Honor 10 instead of 3200 mAh in Honor 9;
- Important: Unlike Honor 9, Honor 10 does not have a microSD card slot.
Let us separately dwell on the differences between the Kirin 960 and Kirin 970 processors.
This is perhaps the most interesting, since both of them have 8 CPU cores (4 powerful A73 4 balanced A53) operating at the same clock frequencies: 2.36 GHz (A73), 1, 84 GHz (A53).
However, modern mobile SoCs are, of course, far from being just CPU cores. Therefore, there is a difference between Kirin 960 and Kirin 970, and it is quite significant:
- Graphic arts: 12 Mali-G72 graphics cores with a frequency of 850 MHz provide 970 theoretical graphics performance of 346 GFlops. Kirin 960 has only 8 Mali-G71 cores with a frequency of 1037 MHz, they provide only 282 GFlops.
GPUs in Kirin 970 are 20% more powerful and 50% more energy efficient than their counterparts in Kirin 960
- AI coprocessor: In Kirin 970, the NPU unit debuted, which takes over and is able to speed up the tasks associated with machine learning at times;
- LTE Speed: Kirin 970 is equipped with support for LTE Cat.18 networks and is capable of loading data into them at speeds up to 1.2 GB / s versus 600 MB / s for Kirin 960 (LTE Cat. 12);
- Image processing: Kirin 970 is equipped with a new image processing coprocessor that provides increased performance and various features when shooting photos, including reducing noise in low light;
- Quick memory: Unlike the Kirin 960, the 970 supports the fastest LPDDR4X mobile RAM to date;
The evolution of Huawei mobile processors
- Production technology: Kirin 970 is manufactured according to the current 10-nm process technology, due to which it can be more energy efficient than Kirin 960, which was manufactured according to 16-nm standards;
- Transistors: The Kirin 970 has about 5.5 billion transistors against
4 billion in the Kirin 960.
Note that in addition to Honor 9, Huawei also has the Honor 9 Lite. At first glance, it may seem more interesting due to modern design with a larger screen (5.65 ’’) and an actual aspect ratio of 18: 9 today. However, in other parameters, this model is significantly simplified.
Simplifications begin with the Kirin 659 processor, which is strikingly weaker not just the 970, but even last year’s Kirin 960. In addition, the dual camera in 9 Lite is only content with 132 MPx modules, which is significantly inferior to the cameras in Honor 9 and Honor 10.
Unboxing and demonstrating the Honor 10 live
Differences between Honor 10 and Huawei P20
Finally, another smartphone, with which many will inevitably compare for Honor 10 differences, is not included in the Honor line, but Huawei is also available. We are talking about the flagship P20, which was introduced less than a month before Honor. Both devices have not only the identical Kirin 970 processor, but also a 5.84 ’’ screen with an aspect ratio of 18: 9 and a cutout on top.
Huawei P20 (pictured) in front is almost a copy of the Honor 10
Almost all other parameters also coincide, making the devices very similar. The key differences in the cameras:
- Resolution vs. Quality: Honor 10 stands out for its camera resolution: 1624 MPx versus 1220 MPx in P20, however, for the main (12 MPx) module in the P20 model “large” pixels of 1.55µm are used. This greatly affects the final quality in favor of the P20;
- Optical stabilization: for the main camera P20 provides optical stabilization, which Honor 10 can not boast;
- Super Slow-mo: Honor 10 is deprived of the possibility of super-slow shooting with a frequency of 960 frames per second, which is the P20.
Impressions after two weeks with Honor 10
We also note a couple of features:
- Design: Honor 10 is notable for its bright and shiny body colors, which are not for the P20;
- Important: Unlike the P20, the Honor 10 retains the classic 3.5mm audio jack.
Finally, formally, another difference between Honor and the flagships of the Huawei P and Mate lines is the lack of cooperation with various brands, such as, for example, the German Leica. So their developments regarding cameras may also be absent in Honor. As a result, Huawei’s flagship smartphones are more interesting in hardware, but also more expensive than Honor flagships.