Connecting the Set-top Box to the Old TV
There is almost nothing to watch on a regular, analog antenna. For example, in countries such as Ukraine, this type of broadcasting is completely disabled. That is why people use satellite dishes, Internet TV and even digital set-top boxes. But not every one of us owns a modern TV with all conceivable and inconceivable connectors. That is why today we are just going to talk about how to connect a digital set-top box to an old TV. So, without delay, we proceed.
This manual is suitable for any TV that is equipped with an AV input with a socket type “tulip”, SCART or VGA.
What do we need
In order to successfully implement the task, we need such things:
- Digital prefix itself;
- Cable for connection.
We connect the digital set-top box to the old TV
So, let’s say that you already have a T2-type digital set-top box and you just have to connect it to the old TV. In any TV (unless, of course, this is not a lamp device of the 60s) there are 3 inputs. These are the so-called tulips and with their help you can display in analog form and 2 channels of sound in stereo mode. It is through these “tulips” that we will connect our prefix. Locate the panel with connectors, if it is behind the TV, connect the cable plug there. If the front, respectively, vice versa.
Exactly the same manipulations need to be done with the very prefix of digital television. Insert the cable into the desired connectors, carefully locking them there. Refer to the color coding so that the connectors are not mixed up.
- The yellow “tulip” is always, both on the TV and on the signal-transmitting device.
- The red and white plugs, respectively, are needed for broadcasting sound. If they are confused, the right channel will sound in the left, and the left, on the contrary, in the right.
Then we simply install the prefix in place of its permanent deployment and plug it into the network, turn it on. Now you can proceed to setting up the TV itself. To do this, switch it to AV mode. This can be done with a special button on the remote control or through the menu.
Further, all manipulations will already be carried out from the digital set-top box menu. On the TV itself, you don’t have to do anything else. Unless to adjust the volume and then once. Depending on the model of such a device, its menu can differ greatly, therefore, we will not give screenshots and step-by-step instructions in this case.
All you have to do is enable automatic search on T2 and wait for it to be certified. After that, all programs will be added to the list, and you can view and change them with a simple click of a button on the remote control.
What to do if the console does not have the necessary connectors?
Sometimes it happens (though very rarely) that the digital set-top box simply does not have the connectors we need. Now we are talking about tulips, which are equipped with almost all old TVs. If you have such a problem, you will have to use one of the adapters, depending on which way you still have a solution.
For example, if you have VGA, then there should be no problems. After all, this type of data transfer is also analog and there are many different inexpensive adapters for it. You see one of them on your screens; all the others are executed on the same principle.
In order to better understand the issue, we recommend watching a training in which the author clearly shows how to connect a digital set-top box to an old TV. We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the and only then get down to business.
This is where we end our article and hope that you are well versed in this matter. If for some reason something is unclear, you can write to us in the comments under this article. We will answer and help with practical advice.
The whole world has long switched to digital television. Our country began the process of transition from analog signal transmission relatively recently. Digital television has contributed to the emergence of digital channels broadcasting throughout the country. TVs that support digital broadcasting DVB. T 2 appeared on sale.
This is very convenient, just connect the television cable to the TV, while no other wires are needed. However, if the TV does not support digital broadcasting, here the digital set-top box comes to the rescue. Many people who purchase this device do not know how to connect it to a TV. Therefore, it is necessary to fill this information gap.
In order to broadcast digital television in the apartment, the following equipment is required:
- Antenna or satellite dish.
The TV should be such that it has an input for the antenna, connectors for “tulips”, scart. An input with a input. Modern TVs have an hdmi connector, it is also suitable for connecting a receiver.
Before you purchase a set-top box, you must familiarize yourself with the list of companies that provide digital television broadcasting services. Can consult with specialists the chosen company, who will advise the necessary model of the receiver. Some companies hold promotions that allow you to purchase and install the device for free.
The set-top box itself is just an attribute that allows you to receive and tune channels for a specific TV broadcast in a completely new format and much better quality. So that they broadcast through the receiver, you should deal with the broadcast source. It could be:
- The Internet;
- Satellite dish;
- Other similar items.
How to connect a digital set-top box
Connecting the console to the TV is as follows:
- It is necessary to unpack the TV set-top box and remove the protective film from it. This is done so that the film does not heat up during the operation of the console.
- The cable is taken and the protective sheath is cut off from its ends, retreating by 10. 15 mm. The sheath must be cut so as not to accidentally damage the shiny film protecting the center conductor. Such a film is shielding.
- Carefully unbend the film and screw on the f. Connectors.
- Then connect the set-top box cable to the TV.
- After that, wire the tulips to the console and the TV.
- At the end, an antenna is connected to the TV. Install the antenna on the outside of the house or on the balcony. In this case, it is necessary to ensure that the antenna does not interfere with the wires of the power line or tree branches.
After that, it remains only to configure the digital receiver.
Setting up a digital set-top box
Set up a digital set-top box as follows:
- You should take the console’s remote control and press the “Menu” button;
- A window appears in which you need to select the “Configure channels”;
- Press “OK” and wait until the prefix automatically tunes in the channels;
- Then you need to accept the discovered channels and save them.
Thus, setting up the receiver is quite simple.
Connecting a digital device to an old TV
Many still use old TVs. If the prefix attaches to modern models quickly and easily, then old “electrons” do not have a connector for “tulips”.
Some older televisions do not have an A / V input, but they do have a SCART connector, some of which receive component signals. Therefore, you can yourself find the adapter circuit “tulips” on SCART and solder.
In addition, you can purchase an adapter from audio-to SCART. It is of two types: adapter cable and adapter itself, to which they connect a standard RCA cable from the console.
Old Soviet TVs of the Electron type are completely not equipped with any inputs, so use only the antenna jack, where a high-frequency modulated signal is supplied. Thus, it will be necessary to find a modulator with RCA inputs.
Having connected a digital television, do not forget to pay every month for a certain package of channels. Some providers offer the purchase of digital set-top boxes with a set of digital TV channels, which are already included in the price.
The main thing is from time to time to be distracted from watching your favorite TV shows in order to devote time to your family.
The state program for a phased transition to the digital broadcasting standard DVB T2 is approaching the final stage. A gradual reduction in the number of analog repeaters. This suggests that the time has come to get involved in new technologies and move to the “digital”. We will talk about the equipment necessary for receiving a television signal in a new format, as well as how to properly connect a digital set-top box (receiver) to a TV or monitor.
- Necessary equipment
- Standard set-top box
- Connectors and their purpose
- The process of connecting a digital set-top box to a new TV is step by step
- Connect to an old TV
- How to connect 2 TVs to a digital set-top box
To watch digital broadcasting, unlike analog broadcasting, you need a receiver that decodes the signal. Many modern TV models (Philips, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, LG, Panasonic, etc.) are equipped with such a unit. To verify this, refer to the user manual, this brief instruction is attached to each product. At the same time, check whether the built-in tuner supports the DVB-T2 format, if not, you will need to purchase a receiver.
Depending on the set of functional capabilities, the cost of such a device can vary between 800. 3000 rubles. Note that many providers of digital cable television provide subscribers with receivers for rent.
In addition, we will need to receive a digital signal. In cities and large settlements with this problem will not arise, it is enough to contact local providers. Residents of rural areas will need to install a decimeter band antenna or satellite dish. The latter is preferable, since it is not a fact, your house is in the coverage area of the nearest digital repeater. In addition, the satellite dish option provides a wider selection of television channels.
Standard set-top box
Consider what is included in the standard kit for the receiver, this information may be useful when it is connected to a television receiver.
Standard set-top box
We list what is shown in the figure:
- A. User manual, we recommend that you carefully read this manual to get a complete picture of all the functionality of the device and its connection to the TV and antenna.
- B. Tulip cable (RCA) with characteristic connectors, allows you to connect the console to almost all modern models of television receivers.
- C is a device for decrypting and converting a digital signal into an analog (receiver).
- D. Packing box.
- E. Remote control for remote control of the device.
- F. Batteries for the remote control.
- G. Network adapter for connecting the device to a household electrical outlet.
- H. Warranty service coupon.
The basic equipment may slightly differ from that shown in the photo (for example, “Tulip” is replaced by an HDMI cable).
Connectors and their purpose
On the back of the device there are various connectors, briefly tell you what they are for.
Figure 3. SDT-96 receiver connectors from the SUPRA range
Explanation of the figure:
- Antenna Output
- A connector for connecting a satellite dish, a decimeter antenna, or a local provider’s cable.
- A jack for an HDMI cable allows you to connect a monitor or TV equipped with this input (digital output can transmit sound and image).
- Sockets for the Tulip cable (transmits an analog signal, as well as stereo sound).
Some devices can be additionally equipped with a SCART connector, a TV, VCR or DVD player with recording function is connected to it.
Receiver with SCART connector
In addition, there may be devices where instead of the HDMI jack, D-SUB (Fig. 5) or DVI outputs are installed.
Figure 5. Digital set-top box with standard VGA (D-SUB) output
Please note that such interfaces do not transmit sound, so an additional connection with the help of “tulips” will be required to transmit it.
The process of connecting a digital set-top box to a new TV is step by step
We will describe the order of our actions:
- You must select the interface for connecting the console to the TV. It can be analog (tulips, D-SUB, SCART) or digital (HDMI, DVI). The choice is made depending on the specific TV model. Despite the fact that many FULL HD class television receivers have an analog input, it is better to feed them a “digit”, since double signal conversion will negatively affect the quality of the “picture”.
HDMI input on TV
This interface allows you to transmit and sound, so the connection can be made with a single cable.
If the TV does not have a digital input, it is connected by any analog interface, the easiest way to do this is with tulips. In the case when the device has only a bulky SCART connector, you can purchase an adapter for the tulip for it. In this way, you can connect almost any model, except for very ancient ones.
- We check the availability of the cable necessary for connecting, it can go bundled with the receiver or television receiver. If you could not find one, you need to purchase it.
- We remove the protective film from the set-top box (if any), install it in the chosen place and connect it to the TV. The cables are made in such a way that it is physically impossible to insert them into the connector not intended for this purpose. The exception is tulips, they can be confused. But, to prevent this, manufacturers make nests for them in the corresponding color.
Standard colors for RCA connectors (tulips)
As you can see, the colors of the connectors coincide with the colors of the sockets (4 in Fig. 3).
- We connect power to the console. If the power adapter is built-in, we simply plug the plug into a power outlet, and we pre-connect the external power supply to the corresponding socket on the receiver.
- We connect the provider’s cable, decimeter antenna or satellite dish to the antenna input (2 Fig. 3).
- We insert the batteries into the remote control, turn on the console and the TV.
This completes the connection procedure, and you can begin to configure the channels. If your TV does not have the above interfaces, do not worry, we will tell you how to get out of this situation.
Connect to an old TV
The signal converter can work even with old models of television receivers when connecting them to the antenna output (1 in Fig. 3). To do this, you need a piece of antenna wire of the appropriate length and two antenna plugs. In order not to trouble yourself with soldering, you can take special F-connectors, the procedure for mounting them on a cable is shown in Figure 8.
Installation on the cable F-plug
- Remove the insulation from the antenna cable, carefully so as not to damage the braid (just clean 15 mm).
- We bend the braid, as shown in the picture.
- Carefully remove the insulation from the central core.
- It is necessary to expose 10 mm of the central wire.
- Screw the connector clockwise.
- We do this until the central core protrudes 2 mm from the connector.
Using the cable made, we connect the antenna input of the TV to the corresponding output of the console. In this way, you can connect any TV, whether it be Horizon 101 or the legendary KVN.
How to connect 2 TVs to a digital set-top box
Two television receivers can be connected via the antenna output, for this you need a special adapter with one to two cables (splitter).
Since the set-top box is intended for only one device, two televisions will work simultaneously, that is, show the same channel.
The set-top box is configured in the same way as a TV, namely:
- The menu is called up using the button of the same name on the remote control.
- Select the appropriate command that starts the channel scan.
- When the scan is finished, we save the list of detected channels, if desired, they can be grouped in a certain way, give a name, etc.
Detailed instructions and a description of the functionality can be found in the user manual. In most cases, the menu interface is intuitive, so setting up the receiver is as simple as connecting a digital set-top box to the TV.