Charging on iPhone is not supported what to do
This accessory is probably not supported by iPhone. How to fix
Sometimes when a person has a need to charge their Apple device, they may encounter a message popping up on the phone display that this iPhone can’t work with the connected device and doesn’t support it. This happens when an iPhone is connected to a charger or PC via the “Lighting” connector. The article will deal with how to solve the error “This accessory is probably not supported by iPhone”.
There are many reasons why the accessory is not supported by the iPhone and the corresponding notification appears. The most common ones are:
- Breaking the contacts of the cable. If the cord has been used for a very long time, it may simply be damaged or badly bent. Even genuine Apple accessories are bound to fail sooner or later. Often it is the user’s own fault, but if the phone has been used for more than a year, this device could be damaged due to the trivial process of aging. If the damage is visible to the naked eye, the problem is definitely in the USB cable. If the gap is unnoticeable, it is likely that the cause is something else. You can check the cable for rupture by connecting it to another phone or testing it with a multimeter.
- Damaged USB port you are connecting to. This often happens because the port is constantly accepting different cables, flash drives, and other storage devices. It can fail, become loose and lose contact with the motherboard. It is also possible that it is contaminated with dust and dirt, foreign bodies, which prevent the passage of electric current through the cable.
An error stating that the accessory is not supported by the iPhone appears quite rarely
- Using a non-original Chinese accessory that was purchased from an unreliable manufacturer. Chargers and cables bought on the market and from unauthorized vendors can cause your phone to simply not see them or, in the worst case, break down. Often such wires are made conventionally and do not shine with quality or reliability. They may break the very next day or several days later. If the cord is cheap, then it is not terrible, but if it caused damage to the phone, then you will have to go to the service center.
- Dirty or damaged connectors on the mobile device itself. The same problems as with the USB port on a computer can occur with the charging jack on your phone. It can also get clogged with dust, dirt, lint, or just lose contact.
Important! The solution to the problem depends on its source. It is necessary to produce a set of measures, which will be aimed at eliminating it.
“This accessory is probably not supported” error on iPhone 6 occurs with incompatibilities
The main causes of failure when iPhone does not charge
So that you do not drown in a flood of information, we have collected the main causes of failure and told about each. You should not rush to the service center if you have such a breakdown. Lack of battery charge in most cases can be corrected by yourself.
Checking the charger
After about a year of normal (not too careful use) the original cable fails. Many smartphone owners in this case, buy non-original accessories, and then notice that the iPhone does not charge from the charger. There are often problems with Chinese accessories. If you suspect that the charger has failed, you need to replace both the unit and the cable to it. Choose new accessories according to the rules:
- Do not buy too cheap chargers, their quality usually leaves much to be desired;
- Look at the power supply. It should deliver a current of 1A, this should be indicated on the marking;
- Buy original wires and plugs, if possible.
If you are not sure that the cause is in the charger, then first try to check the work of the smartphone with another accessory. But in most cases the charger is to blame if iPhone 5 does not charge.
Checking the power supply
You can connect the device for power to:
If you use a car charger, in most cases it is not the cigarette lighter (check it with another device to make sure that the current is supplied with the right force). Power outlets also rarely fail. The most common power supply problems are encountered by those who try to charge their smartphone from a computer.
If your iPhone 8 does not charge from your computer, then pay attention to the port to which you plugged it. The latest versions of smartphones are very sensitive to the speed of data exchange and power, they fit only ports 2.0 or 3.0. You should not try to charge them through USB hubs or ports located on the keyboard.
System failure and how to fix it
If your smartphone still works, but does not see the plug-in cable, then the problem may be a minor operating system glitch. The main method of fixing a small malfunction is to reboot. It is carried out according to the instructions for different devices:
- When iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus is not charging you need to press the volume up button, then decrease it and at the same time the power key;
- On the 7 and 7 Plus device, you need to press the bottom of the volume and power buttons at the same time;
- On versions 6 and earlier, hold down the power and home buttons at the same time.
These instructions will help when your iPhone doesn’t show that it’s charging due to a minor system glitch. Rebooting them will eliminate them, and you can use your device without restrictions.
Inspect and clean the connector
Rarely, when iPhone 7 or earlier models fail to charge, you will need to replace the power cable connector. In earlier versions of smartphones, this connector often loosened from long use. To get the power cord slot working again, you can do the following:
Avoid blowing into the slot with your mouth to prevent small particles of saliva from getting into it. It is also forbidden to use cotton swabs soaked in alcohol to clean the slots.
Iphone firmware failure
If the firmware has failed and the iPhone does not see the charger, it is best to connect it to a computer to restore the software. To do this, you need to use a cable or Wi-Fi to establish a connection of your smartphone with iTunes. Then do the following:
- Click “Browse” on the left side of the window;
- On the right click the “Restore” button;
- Select the version using the “Restore from Copy” button to which you want to roll back your device;
- Wait for the procedure to complete.
The advantage of this option is that you can do it yourself and fix almost any firmware failure. The disadvantage is that recovery is impossible if the battery is completely discharged. Some of the files that were stored on your device will be gone. But compared to the fact that your device will start charging again, data loss won’t be much of a problem.
Battery wear and tear
Most iPhone smartphones have lithium-ion batteries. They have their lifespan and over time you may notice that the battery is draining faster. You may notice the first signs of problems after a year. Often than not, iPhone 6 won’t charge due to a critical loss of battery capacity. At about 4-5 years of life, lithium-ion batteries begin to discharge extremely quickly, and then completely fail.
If the battery is worn out, it must be replaced with a new one. You can do it yourself, if you have the tools at hand and experience in fixing various devices. But it is best to contact an authorized service center, because the malfunction can appear not only because of the loss of battery capacity, but also because of other problems of the “iron”.
What kind of problems with the “iron” can lead to cases when iPhone does not charge
There are several main reasons why the iPhone does not charge. One of them is the failure of its components. Trouble can arise from trivial wear and tear or other reasons:
- Mechanical damage (shock, fall from a height, vibration);
- Moisture entering the body (does not apply to phones, the body of which is protected from it);
- Use of low-quality chargers, voltage fluctuations.
In the latter case the battery or the power controller can be damaged. Signs of failure of these parts of the device:
- The phone does not take a charge;
- Abnormally fast loss of battery power;
- The smartphone heats up when connected to a power source;
- The device does not see the cable.
To find out what caused the failure of the power controller, you can only after diagnosing the device in the service center. After repairing the device, it is necessary to check it thoroughly. Ask to do the following in your presence:
The connector is clogged
Over time, dust and dirt accumulate in the connectors. This causes a disruption in the contact between the cable and the device, and as a result, the error “This cable or accessory is not certified”. This problem is especially acute for Lightning inputs, as they do not have any protection.
Obviously, in such a situation it is necessary to clean the device. For this you need a simple wooden toothpick. Carefully move it around the edges of the connector, without pressing hard so as not to damage anything. After that, try to reconnect the cable.
You can also use a cotton swab moistened with alcohol (not water). The main thing is not to use metal objects for such purposes, which can scratch the connector and damage the pins.
Remember that the cleaning procedure is carried out with the device turned off.
“Charging with this accessory is not supported“. What to do?
Check the integrity of the charger and USB cable. It is ideal to use a different charger, certainly not a Chinese one
If you are charging your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch from your computer, you must change the USB port or try to charge the device on another computer
If the first two points didn’t work for you, then it’s probably a matter of the device’s connector, or more specifically, dust or moisture getting into it. There are two options here:
- Blow out the connector, freeing it from accumulated dust. You don’t need to use a hair dryer or anything else;
- Soak a cotton swab in alcohol and gently wipe the connector pins. WARNING: This should only be done if water has gotten inside the phone.
Take the device to a service center. You will most likely not need to do this. The problem that causes the “Charging with this accessory is not supported” message to appear is in most cases solved by changing the charger and cleaning the connector, but if nothing works in your case, the only solution is to go to the service.
Can’t charge iPhone try this method|this accessory may not be supported
Why am I getting the “This accessory may not be supported” error message??
As far as I can tell, the “This accessory may not be supported” error message basically appears under two conditions, as shown below. Note that if you get another message, such as “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone / iPad,” it’s basically the same problem.
Charging the phone. If you are using a cheap non-Apple charger, it will be easier to get this error message. But sometimes, even if you’re using an official Apple cable for lighting, the error can also occur because of firmware issues in the operating system.
Update iOS, Many Apple users complain that the “This accessory may not be supported” error appears immediately after updating to the new iOS and has nothing to do with a faulty device or cable.
Iphone is not charging, but it shows that it is charging
In most cases, when the iPhone shows charging, but at the same time does not charge, owners are faced with a failure in the operating system. But highlight other problems presented in the list:
- USB cable problem. Check the charger and replace it if possible;
- Power supply failure. If this is an outlet, it is recommended that you plug in another charger and connect your device, thus verifying that it works;
- Contamination of the connector. Not all sensors are working properly, so the phone responds to the charger, but does not charge. The solution is to clean the connector;
- The charging connector is broken. Also becomes a frequent cause of the problem. It is not uncommon to have to replace the connector at the service center;
- Battery wear and tear. The device also responds to the start of the process, the connector is in good condition, but the battery itself is no longer accepting a charge due to its wear and tear.
Important! In most cases, when the phone malfunctions, when charging goes on, but the percentage does not increase, you have to go to a service center. It is important to closely monitor the check iPhone, and on the fact of repair, do not accept the handed over phone without further checks with their own chargers.
Features of the iOS operating system
Ios is a closed system. It is installed only on Apple devices. After studying all the nuances, users have dual feelings. Admiration and contradiction. For example, iOS devices are resistant to all kinds of virus attacks. As many people, as many opinions. Therefore, there is no way to avoid controversy.
It is quite difficult to really assess this system because of its closed nature. However, what we can say with absolute certainty is that the developers have done everything possible to protect users. If you look at it from one side, such actions are an indisputable advantage. But more often than not they are the ones who create certain problems.
Comparatively recently, iPhone owners began to encounter an error accompanied by a message on the screen. Its next: “This accessory is probably not supported.”. The original cable, which is made by Apple, does not cause such problems. But when you purchase a third-party accessory, the system automatically recognizes a threat to your device. This is what most often causes the error message to appear.
Methods for correcting the problem
If you are not absolutely sure where the problem is coming from, try the suggestions below one by one. You should start with the simplest actions, gradually moving to those that require time and money.
Sometimes you can get rid of the problem just by plugging and unplugging the cable a few times. Perhaps the contacts have come loose or there is a tiny speck of dust in the connector that is interfering with the connection. Similar manipulations can also have an effect if the cable has a place with a bad wire connection.
Although the method only rarely helps, it is worth trying, because it only takes a few minutes.
Wondering how to fix the situation when an accessory is not supported on the iPhone 6, but works successfully on later models, you should check its compatibility. Some components may work properly only on certain models of smartphones or tablets.
It is also not uncommon when a new series of devices uses completely different technology and accessories simply refuse to pair with the previous lineup. You can find out the required information on the official Apple website or in the instructions to the product. When a compatibility condition is present, a list of approved devices will be listed.
Updating the operating system
Update OS to the latest version may help to resolve the error. Developers may have made adjustments that exclude the appearance of failures when connecting. Before performing the procedure, it is recommended to back up the files and settings of the phone in the cloud or via iTunes.
The device can be updated in one of three ways:
“Through the air.”. It is enough to enter the phone settings, open the “Basic” item and go to the tab “Software Update”. Next is to download and install a new version of the operating system.
Changing the port on a PC
Sometimes the occurrence of the error is not related to the accessory or mobile device. It can be caused by a malfunctioning USB port on the computer. To check this, just connect the cord to a different input located on the back of the system unit or the other side of the laptop.
You should also experiment with connecting the USB 2.0 и 3.0. Sometimes the incompatibility lies precisely in them. Recall USB port 2.0 is black inside and USB 3.0 is blue.
Clearing and checking the input on your smartphone
A similar situation can arise when the cable input on the mobile device is faulty or very dirty. In that case, the answer to the question of why the iPhone writes that the accessory is not supported is quite simple.
With a strong contamination the contact is broken, as a result the device “does not see” all the necessary connection points of the cord and generates an error. This can happen when dropping the phone in the mud or regularly working in a dusty room. Cleaning can be done in two steps:
Fix This Accessory May Not Be Supported on iPhone (Hindi)
Take a thin toothpick and gently pick debris from the hole. It is important not to damage the pins. The action is performed without significant effort.
It is not superfluous to carry out a similar operation with the cable, since during the connection, it could also get dirty.
Checking the cable
There could be two versions of the problem here:
Damage is a break in the braid or at the joints with the plug. Caused by rough handling or due to an inherently small margin of safety.
Both problems are checked by replacing the cable with the original. If the error does not occur again, you should buy a new accessory.
Bypassing the error
If the accessory is incompatible, but this incompatibility is prescribed only at the software level, you can try to cheat the system. There are two ways, which were found by users themselves.
The first way around the “this accessory is probably not supported” error is to reboot the device with the cable connected. After starting the system the message should not appear. If the manipulation is successful, it will charge or connect to another device.
Bug in the system
This workaround is based on a gap that exists in some versions of the operating system. It is necessary to perform the following actions:
The information presented in this article will help to understand the sources of the error when connecting the Lightning cable. First you need to reconnect, reboot the device and perform an OS update, and only then proceed to more serious actions. You should buy only original Apple products, so as not to damage the smartphone and avoid problems in the future.